Ugly and classic unis...

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Nike has sold so many schools on multiple uglies (Maryland this year one of the worst) that it was encouraging to see Arizona, in its big victory over UCLA last night, return to the classic uni it had before going ugly the last couple of years. Their uni resembles that of Auburn and was in place for many years. Brew played around with unis and I notice we've had multples this year, too. Hope we settle down to the classic maroon and gold again (at home) and get some gold into the road uni, as well.

i would like to see the gophers go back to their classic home uniform look of the 1950's, 1960's and early 70's. i.e. white helmet with maroon & gold stripe down the middle from front to back. number on the sides of the helmet. gray face bar. all maroon jersey with large gold number on front and back. white pants with maroon & gold striping down the side. black cleats.

a great looking, classic uniform that isn't out of style and never should have been replaced in the first place, imo. no reason they shouldn't rock something like this home and away into eternity.

The Warmath look - also a good one, but a departure from the previous ones and the ones we've had since the late '70s. I remember at the time we liked them.

Nothing wrong with these new jerseys (other than Maryland's but that's UnderArmour not Nike). I have actually liked all of the newly designed uniforms that I've seen.

It's a matter of taste and the players apparently love the new style of uniforms.

Let's get some pics up in this thread. Check out the helmet project to see all of the helmets we've used.

Minnesota_OLD4.gif

Personally I like these helmets from 68-71 the best. It's more of a yellow gold than the more recent gold helmets.

As for our uniforms, I'd need to see what Warmath's uni's looked like before I made up my mind...

Let's get some pics up in this thread. Check out the helmet project to see all of the helmets we've used.

View attachment 1196

Personally I like these helmets from 68-71 the best. It's more of a yellow gold than the more recent gold helmets.

As for our uniforms, I'd need to see what Warmath's uni's looked like before I made up my mind...

well, take a look at your avitar.

very similar to that style/look except the warmath era helmets (which has the same style/color scheme as your avitar pic) had the players number on both sides of the helmet in maroon. and gray face bars. a classic helmet style that alabama went and stole from us during the 1960's and is still rocking today. just kidding! ;-)

see pic below for what they looked like. a bad ass, classic look imo. not all this silly stuff that nike, under armor, addidas are trying to do these days. i believe this pic is from the 1960 game between minnesota and iowa in minneapolis at old memorial stadium. it was #1 vs. either #2 or #3 in the country at the time. the gophers would beat the iowee hogeyes that day and would go on the be named the AP national champions at the end of the season. national championship number 6.

gophers uni 1960s.jpg

Some designs I came up with (on microsoft paint) that I thought was Classic & New..

gopher jerseys.jpg

This I mean -

attachment.php

I pulled a Nike PSD from the web, I think it was OSU(beavers), and put together the different looks on my own.

I like the idea of us going back to the Warmath era uniforms, but I would keep the helmets as is. Except for the dark ages of the Wacker years, we've worn maroon helmets with a gold M since 1977. I don't think we should go back on that signature look. However, if you pair the helmet with the following look:

Home - Maroon tops with gold numbers and no stripes / either white or gold pants with three stripes / black shoes and socks

Road - White tops maroon numbers and three shoulder "ucla" stripes / either white or gold pants with three stripes / black shoes and socks

I think in the end you'd come up with a look similar to what Virginia Tech has gone with in recent years. They experiment a lot, but their standard uniform has been consistent with this approach. Looks great with their colors....just exchange orange for gold. You could even mix in a gold helmet here and there as they did in the Orange Bowl and against Marshall this year. Photos attached.VT1.jpgVT2.jpgVT3.jpegVT4.jpg

I have to say, I hate our all gold uni's. I don't know why but I find them to be very ugly. Also, isn't Nike working on some special uni's for us to use in a game next year?

Top Bottom