Gunner Kiel decommits from Indiana

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/...source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

It was a nice run for Kevin Wilson at Indiana.

Seriously though, I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, it's nice to have elite players stay in the Big Ten as opposed to the SEC or Big 12, but on the other hand, Indiana is pretty much all that's keeping us from being universally considered as the current basement of the Big Ten.

I would have liked to see him end up at IU. I get what you are saying about Indiana being our "competition" for being the worst but I don't really take much comfort in being one of the two terrible teams in the conference. So either we get better and don't have to worry about it or we'd be the sole awful team in the conference (and I bet it wouldn't stink much more than this year where we share the honor with Indiana).

I don't think Wilson will be able to turn it around there. Once he went on that radio show and snapped on Jack Trudeau you could tell he wasn't cut out for it. Good thing he has that 6 year deal!

I would have liked to see him end up at IU. I get what you are saying about Indiana being our "competition" for being the worst but I don't really take much comfort in being one of the two terrible teams in the conference. So either we get better and don't have to worry about it or we'd be the sole awful team in the conference (and I bet it wouldn't stink much more than this year where we share the honor with Indiana).

i am assuming you meant "stick" correct?

I don't know anything about this situation.

But it still bums me out.

I love the idea of state schools meaning something about where the player's from.

Ouch... Without a horse in the race, I was pleased when he committed to IU.

Though misery loves company, I see a turnaround at MN under Kill much more likely than a turnaround at IU under Wilson.

That sucks for IU. Was actually happy for them.

IU's in a really tough spot. There are very few states where 3 or more BCS schools reside (CA, TX, FL, NC and IN by my count). They're clearly the third option in Indiana and the talent there isn't exactly on par with where it is in other states.

IU's in a really tough spot. There are very few states where 3 or more BCS schools reside (CA, TX, FL, NC and IN by my count). They're clearly the third option in Indiana and the talent there isn't exactly on par with where it is in other states.

and yet they could beat us with one hand tied behind their back.

When I look at both teams schedules, there's no reason to think that. The Gophers wouldn't be a shoo-in, but neither team's start has been impressive. Both have one win, ours is a win over Miami, ranked #132, and their one win is over South Carolina State, an FCS team ranked #170. We were beated 58-0 by Michigan, they got beat 59-7 by Wisconsin.

Eh...I don't know about that. Indiana has been as unimpressive as the U. Their only win is against an FCS opponent.

They lost to an awful North Texas team. (North Texas lost by 20 to UL-Lafayette and by 25 to Florida Int'l). North Texas would be probably 10 point underdogs to New Mexico State.

They lost to Ball St which is a team that is about on par with Miami (OH).

They are a bad team...

I was happy for them as well. The thought of a top recruit going with the home school even though they are down was really encouraging. Somebody probably whispered in his ear there are schools that would be better career moves and opportunities.

The more I look over Indiana and Minnesota, he more similar the results are. The Gophers opponents have an average Sagarin ranking of #79, Indiana's opponents have an average ranking of #74. The Gophers opponents have a 25-12 total record for an average of 4.16 wins and 2 losses per opponent. Indiana's opponents have a total record of 32-15, for an average of 4.57 wins and 2.14 losses per opponent. Minnesota has been outscored 108-210, an average score of 18-35. Indiana has been outscored 147-229, an average score of 21-32.7. Both teams have had one rather anomolous close loss to a good team, the Gophers 17-19 loss to USC, and the Hoosier's 10-16 loss to Penn State.

The only thing that stands out between the two teams is that the Gophers have lost by an average of 17 points per game, while Indiana has lost by an average of 11.7 points per game. That's a difference, but if this game were to be played, it would be hard to pick a winner.

I was happy for them as well. The thought of a top recruit going with the home school even though they are down was really encouraging. Somebody probably whispered in his ear there are schools that would be better career moves and opportunities.

It's a hard thing for a player like Kiel. The QB position can often be so dependent on the amount of talent around you. If you are a QB with all of the weapons around you, you can really shine. It doesn't always work out that way. But it's easier to shine when you are surrounded by other good athletes, when you have an OL that can protect for you, when you have WR's who can make plays, etc.

I wish Kiel would have stayed with Indiana and I hate when people decommit (no one forced you to commit in the first place!) but it's a tough situation.

The more I look over Indiana and Minnesota, he more similar the results are. The Gophers opponents have an average Sagarin ranking of #79, Indiana's opponents have an average ranking of #74. The Gophers opponents have a 25-12 total record for an average of 4.16 wins and 2 losses per opponent. Indiana's opponents have a total record of 32-15, for an average of 4.57 wins and 2.14 losses per opponent. Minnesota has been outscored 108-210, an average score of 18-35. Indiana has been outscored 147-229, an average score of 21-32.7. Both teams have had one rather anomolous close loss to a good team, the Gophers 17-19 loss to USC, and the Hoosier's 10-16 loss to Penn State.

The only thing that stands out between the two teams is that the Gophers have lost by an average of 17 points per game, while Indiana has lost by an average of 11.7 points per game. That's a difference, but if this game were to be played, it would be hard to pick a winner.

FYI...Penn State is not good. They will be exposed very soon.

Call me a homer, but if IU and Minnesota played this year, I think the Gophers would be slight favorites.

It's fun to make statements that can neither be proven or disproven.

Yes, it is, that's why I'm a legend within my own mind! :) Truth be told, the home team would probalby win between these two bottom dwellers. Kill may have a better chance of turning us around than Wilson at IU but only time will tell, right now I'd say both programs are dead even, unfortunately.

gophers hoosiers would be epic. can we play that game during championship week?

In traveling basketball tournaments growing up, the toilet bowl was always at like 8am on sunday mornings, which was punishment for those teams in itself.

That said, they should schedule this game for 11pm on New Years Eve.

Too bad for Indiana. I can't really blame Kiel though, if he has dreams of the NFL, he's probably better off someplace where the players around him will give him a better chance to succeed.

He'll end up at Notre Dame. Not sure why he didn't consider the other in state school Purdue that has a knack for producing NFL QB's.

I hope this is just BS. They already have one quarterback commit, I'd hate to be that guy if Gunner is going to Wisconsin.

He could step in for Wilson and keep the Badgers rolling. I hope he picks another school, just what one of my Wisky buddies told me. I would rather he went to MN that Wisconsin, but I would bet USC, Fla, OSU, or Michigan has a good shot at him...and of course the pathetic Irish...

I remember reading an article about Gunner after he committed. I thought it was weird he wanted to compete versus his brother for the starting qb spot for the next two years.

That being said can't blame a kid for not sticking to his verbal commitment, especially with a new coach and a struggling program. I'm sure Gunner has all the inside info on Indiana from his brother to make an educated decision about his future.

Top Bottom