Strib look into the past 1911 Gophers/Huskers battle

Ole

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/132282678.html

Really amazing that the game review is better written then than anything the local press puts out now. Really puts the trash the pukes in the local media today "write" in perspective. Weird how a game review can be informative and with a positive spin without being over the top "homerish", and give credit where it's due to an opponent.
1911 and the regualr season game review clipping is head and shoulders better than anything Reusse, Souhan, et al have written in their life.

Wow, that's a pretty cool article. Good cartoons/pictures too!

"Two forward passes worked like well-oiled machinery, a touchdown coming on each one."

Luke Fickell: "Two forward passes?!?!"

Did you know: Before 1900 The Huskers were called the Bugeaters?

They changed the name because the football team was so bad. Maybe the U should change the nickname? Gophers is awful.

It's such an awful name though. And associated mostly with a losing culture.

Ok let's change the name. We're still the University of Minnesota. We should change that then too because the University of Minnesota is associated with losing. We should also change our state name because that is associated with losing as well.

I'm just saying it's not unheard of.

Gophers was a stupid off-hand joke to begin with. There's no pride behind it.

I'm just saying it's not unheard of.

Gophers was a stupid off-hand joke to begin with. There's no pride behind it.

Except 100+ years of history, many of them winning in dominating fashion and 6 national titles.
Only people oblivious and tradition poor discount that sort of history. Like badger fans. "College football started officially in 1992!"

Embrace our history, it's a damn proud one.

Except now we have a mascot that has won the national mascot championship (I honestly have no idea how this is determined, but he won it).

"Gophers" is a great name. Minnesota has been known as the Gopher State long before the University of Minnesota adopted the Gopher as their mascot. No pride behind the Gophers? Nonsense. I can tell you that whatever new nickname the U adopted would have no pride whatsoever. Changing the name would be the exact opposite of pride. It would be like handing the bullies your lunch money. "They pick me because of the Gopher nickname... maybe if I change it, they big boys will leave me alone." Well, they won't. You give into a bully, and they know you're a weakling, and they will keep stomping on you. Changing the nickname would make the U into a laughingstock. (if you think it is now, not compared to what it would be for changing the nickname.)

The big bad smack talkers are going to talk their smack no matter what you do. Grow up and tell them to shove it. If the Gophers nickname disturbs you so much, then you can easily find another team. You'll take the Gophers out of my cold, dead hands.

And changing the nickname IS virtually unheard of. Very few teams change their nicknames, most of the changed were very early, long, long ago.

I'm sure people felt that way about the 'Bugeaters' at some point too.

They changed the name because the football team was so bad. Maybe the U should change the nickname? Gophers is awful.

Maybe they didn't want to be associated with a motorcycle gang?

From Wikipedia:

Husker football began play in 1890, with a 10–0 victory over the Omaha YMCA on Thanksgiving Day, November 27. During the early years of the program, the team had a number of nicknames: "Bugeaters", "Tree Planters", "Nebraskans", "The Rattlesnake Boys", "Antelopes", "Old Gold Knights" and "Cornhuskers". The name Cornhuskers first appeared in the school newspaper as "We Have Met The Cornhuskers And They Are Ours" referring to a 20–18 upset victory over Iowa in 1893. The name would be used again, this time to refer to Nebraska by Charles "Cy" Sherman in The Nebraska State Journal during the 1899 season and would replace all other names by 1900.

So your claim that Nebraska fans would have felt the same about the Bugeaters nickname is flawed. According to this link http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/goldy-gopher/index.html the Gophers nickname was adopted in 1926. That's 85 years of the Gophers. The Bugeaters was never an established nickname for Nebraska, there was a 10 year period from well over a century ago where they used multiple nicknames.

Thus, replacing the Gophers is nothing like replacing the Bugeaters.

Nebraska football:

1890 2-0
1891 2-2
1892 2-2-1
1893 3-2-1
1894 6-2
1895 6-3
1896 6-3-1
1897 5-1
1898 8-3
1899 1-7-1

For that decade, that is 45-25-4. .614 is a pretty good percentage. The use of the "Cornhusker" nickname goes back to 1893, Bugeaters was on its way out. While they did have a bad season in 1899, that wasn't the reason that the Cornhuskers nickname became established as their sole nickname.

It's such an awful name though. And associated mostly with a losing culture.

wow.....seriously dude? next topic please. it is associated with 129 years of college football, 18 big ten football titles, 6 football national championships, hundreds of all-americans, a heisman trophy winner, 5 hockey national titles, 4 baseball national titles, 3 wrestling national titles, etc, etc, etc.

stop acting the fool and study your history.

From Wikipedia:

So your claim that Nebraska fans would have felt the same about the Bugeaters nickname is flawed. According to this link http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/goldy-gopher/index.html the Gophers nickname was adopted in 1926. That's 85 years of the Gophers. The Bugeaters was never an established nickname for Nebraska, there was a 10 year period from well over a century ago where they used multiple nicknames.

Thus, replacing the Gophers is nothing like replacing the Bugeaters.

and i think that was when they became known as the golden gophers. a term i believe was coined by hallsey hall or grantland rice in a story one of them wrote about a great gopher football team. i believe they have been known as gophers since at least the 1800's.

According to Wikipedia, The “Golden” adjective has not always been a part of the Gopher nickname. During the 1930s, the Gophers wore gold jerseys and pants. Legendary KSTP radio announcer Halsey Hall coined the term “Golden Gophers” in reference to the team’s all-gold attire on the field.

So the nickname Gophers has been around since at least the 1920's, but Golden was added in the 30's. If they didn't become the Gophers until the 1920's, what nickname did the U have before that?

I know the Saint Paul campus used to field its own basketball team with the nickname "Aggies". http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/MNAM/ If the Minneapolis and Saint Paul campuses were just a little bit farther apart, there might have continued to field two different teams, like other campuses. Might have been a fun rivalry.

wow.....seriously dude? next topic please. it is associated with 129 years of college football, 18 big ten football titles, 6 football national championships, hundreds of all-americans, a heisman trophy winner, 5 hockey national titles, 4 baseball national titles, 3 wrestling national titles, etc, etc, etc.

stop acting the fool and study your history.

This university is going on its THIRD generation of being completely irrelevant in sports that matter nationally. THAT'S what people see. THAT'S how they view the university.

The term 'Gopher Athletics' engenders envy in NO ONE.

And if the U changed its mascot, the U would get a lot of publicity out of it. All of it very bad. Changing the name wouldn't erase the past, it would highlight it. It would be like taking out full page ads in every paper in the country saying "WE SUCK!"

You say there's no pride in the Gopher nickname, you're just plain wrong.

If we want to change our name to get rid of culture of losing we'd have to get rid of the name of the school, and probably the state too. Then no one would even know who we are.

This university is going on its THIRD generation of being completely irrelevant in sports that matter nationally. THAT'S what people see. THAT'S how they view the university.

The term 'Gopher Athletics' engenders envy in NO ONE.

Just stop. Each of your posts in this thread is worse than the last. And after seeing the first one, I didn't think that was possible.

Gophers history is not as bleak as some seem to think. The Gophers have for the most part not been terrible. Even with the 1983 season, the Gophers were pretty much mediocre in the 70's and 80's. Yes, the 1990's were a bleak desert. But the 1990's were a while ago. Since 1983, we've had one one-win season. We might well have a second one-win season this year, but we don't know that yet. Some people make it seem as if one-win seasons have been the norm. There are teams that have done worse, we haven't had a winless seasons since 1886. These other teams don't run off with their tails between their legs and change their names.

Wow......I would have bet money no one would pry lame-post-of-the-year from OOG's hands. I was wrong....first time for everything.

Top Bottom