Should MSU's Gholston be Suspended?

WAGopher

Reaction score
The Big Ten is reviewing William Gholston's behavior in last weeks Michigan game for possible suspension. The video linked below clearly shows how bad he twisted Denard Robinson's neck and punched Taylor Lewan.

I don't think it's a matter of if he gets suspended, but for how long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_VsOFe0ek

Delay the decision until after the Wisconsin game.

I would prefer MSU suspend him for the game vs. the Badgers, but if they don't the B1G should do it for them. That'd be enough of a message to Gholston to knock that stuff off (the facemask twist was a lot bigger transgression than the right jab to the Michigan OL who had grabbed him by the facemask).

Or if they want to use the "brand of justice" used by the NCAA (or was it the B1G?) with Ohio State, they should let him play the rest of the year (thus not hurting MSU's chances to earn Rose Bowl/BCS bid) and make him sit out a meaningless nonconference game in 2012.;)

A pretty good summation below:

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/10/...e/landing_msu.html?blockID=585122&feedID=3701

The Big Ten is reviewing William Gholston's behavior in last weeks Michigan game for possible suspension. The video linked below clearly shows how bad he twisted Denard Robinson's neck and punched Taylor Lewan.

I don't think it's a matter of if he gets suspended, but for how long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T_VsOFe0ek

How long? If this is the first incident, the rest of the year. There is no room for thugs. This kid is a punk.

Suspend for the helmet twist, not for the punch. Jawing, slapping, and a punch in heat of the moment like that deserve a flag in-game, but deliberately going to injure someone like he did to Robinson is out of control. Similar to a pre-meditated punch at the end of the game with intent to injure.

Suspend for the helmet twist, not for the punch. Jawing, slapping, and a punch in heat of the moment like that deserve a flag in-game, but deliberately going to injure someone like he did to Robinson is out of control. Similar to a pre-meditated punch at the end of the game with intent to injure.

I agree, the punch wouldn't be talked about if it wasn't for the helmet twist. The B1G might issue a 2 game suspension to prove a point. However, MSU should have already suspended him for one game and most likely the B1G would concur.

Not sure he is a thug but he sure committed a no-no. Playing hard is one thing but this goes clearly beyond that. Robinson could have been severly injured as a result. This warrants an immediate suspension.

Today is Thursday and it appears Dinardo(sp) is going to let it slide at this juncture. Same with the BT.

Sad.

It's part of the game. Unless you get flagged, and then it isn't.

One time I got punched in the nuts in college. I screamed in pain and the ref ran over and said "Man he really nailed you!" He was laughing and grinning from ear to ear. There was no penalty.

As a few others have said, the punch, that's a flag IMO. The twist of the helmet, though, is absolutely suspension-worthy to me at least a game. I hate that MSU might be weakened for the Wisconsin game lol, but you gotta think that's the right thing to do here.

It's part of the game. Unless you get flagged, and then it isn't.

One time I got punched in the nuts in college. I screamed in pain and the ref ran over and said "Man he really nailed you!" He was laughing and grinning from ear to ear. There was no penalty.

That's actually not the way these things work. You can definitely still get into trouble for things that weren't flagged during the game.

However, he was flagged for both plays.

I'm not a believer in karma, but I wouldn't be the least bit sad if there's a torn ACL in his future. I like MSU 100x more than I like Michigan, but there's no place for that in college football.

I'm not a believer in karma, but I wouldn't be the least bit sad if there's a torn ACL in his future. I like MSU 100x more than I like Michigan, but there's no place for that in college football.

Wow....

It was bad, but that kind of stuff goes on in a lot of plays. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be suspended (I think he should), but the injury thing....that's too far for me.

Put his nuts in a vice in the garage, tighten it till he screams, cut off the handle of the vice, give him a knife, light the garage on fire. pure and simple.

I'm not a believer in karma, but I wouldn't be the least bit sad if there's a torn ACL in his future.

Wow....

It was bad, but that kind of stuff goes on in a lot of plays. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be suspended (I think he should), but the injury thing....that's too far for me.

Put his nuts in a vice in the garage, tighten it till he screams, cut off the handle of the vice, give him a knife, light the garage on fire. pure and simple.

This chain of posts....LOL

This chain of posts....LOL

Ha. I laughed when I read the next post (Dr. Don's) after mine. I don't know if he is serious or not, but if he is, he certainly went the other way.

I personally don't get the punch in the facemask uproar. What am I missing? He punched the michigan guy in the helmet, seems like it would hurt him more than the michigan OL.
The helmet twist, ok, but 2 linemen smacking each other, i dunno.
Maybe I prefer a more old school approach to the game than most, but it just doesn't seem to add up with me.
If so, then Monte Ball shouldv'e been suspended/flagged for his punch in the Nebraska game.

BTw I hope the MSU defense hits Wilson as much as they did to DRobinson, send him to a pissed off OSU defense banged up. And no I'm not petty.

Sounds like the B1G has suspended him for the wisconsin game

He'll sit out Wisconsin game

In the end this is a fair & acceptable result. I think one game is appropriate. Hopefully the young man gets the message.

Anyways, it's more important for Sparty that they have Gholston for the Nebraska game (divisional) than the Badger game. Next week's game is more important; beating Bucky would simply be gravy for Sparty.

I think you have to ask yourself what result you would want if a Gophers player did what Gholston did, regarding the twisting of Robinson's neck. I certainly would expect a Badgers player to be suspended for that type of conduct and I would also expect not to have to wait for the Big 10 office to do it.

I expect the officials will be watching MSU pretty closely this week.

Should be a fun game.

I think you have to ask yourself what result you would want if a Gophers player did what Gholston did, regarding the twisting of Robinson's neck. I certainly would expect a Badgers player to be suspended for that type of conduct and I would also expect not to have to wait for the Big 10 office to do it.

I expect the officials will be watching MSU pretty closely this week.

Should be a fun game.

If a Gopher player did what Gholston did I wouldn't want him to be suspended. JK. I get your point and I agree with you. I would have liked to see Gholston play because i'd like to see two of the better team's in the Big 10 near full strength and i'd prefer to see Sconny lose, but it was the right decision, especially considering it wasn't just the twist. Gholston was out of control against Michigan and it was the right call.

If he played that out of control against WI, he'd probably harm MSU more than help them. Those two personal fouls cost them 15 yards per (30 total). That's like 3 sacks worth. I know it doesn't translate very well doing that kind of math, but a player as out of control as Gholston was last weekend, could very well have cost MSU.

It's a shame this had to come from the Conference though.

Interesting, in the article they make no mention of the facemask pull, only the punch, which I thought was the lesser of two evils, but it seems that is what triggered the suspension, not the facemask.

Interesting, in the article they make no mention of the facemask pull, only the punch, which I thought was the lesser of two evils, but it seems that is what triggered the suspension, not the facemask.

His apology, which I'm sure he wrote himself, says, "I deeply regret momentarily losing my composure late in the third quarter of last Saturday's game against Michigan," I'd buy that if there was only one incident. I don't think that the punch is a big deal. Jumping on the pile late and then wrenching on the facemask on a defenseless player: Death by stoning.

Monty519 said:

I agree. The face mask neck wrenching seemed far more serious than the punch.

I think it's because a punch is supposed to warrant an automatic ejection.

Unbelievable that the B1G would have to step in. Dantonio has a history of being lenient with punishment. In my opinion, if the B1G has to step in the suspension should be 2 games. Gives schools more of an interest to take punishment seriously.

Top Bottom