Coach Kill on Crowd Noise

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Thanks to Nadine Babu for the Coach Kill presser notes. Coach raised this point:

"I'm not going to worry about the Nebraska fans coming in, it's not going to change our preparation. It's part of college football. I've played in front of 110K at Michigan and didn't do well. If you're a focused football player, and you're a good football player and coach, you never hear anything anyway. The only thing you run into, is when Nebraksa goes to the line of scrimmage, and Martinez calls a play, if you have tons of crowd noise, and they can't hear the call, that's when it comes into effect. We need to get our crowd involved in it, so we can create that. You see all the no huddle offense, that's why you see that. The crowd has a lot to do with that, for check purposes, you can't hear." [Emphasis added]

I see this as a "call to action" for GH'ers to lead the charge this Saturday early on to get the crowd in the game when Nebraska has the ball.

The students have been consistently good, even when bad ball was being played, but the stands have lagged as the season has dragged on.

Admittedly Mrs. Billd and myself are consistently obnoxiously loud, and people sitting directly in front of us hate us, but we will raise it a few decibels for this week's challenge.

With Coach's encouragement, it will be "yell on" early and often to see if that can make a difference.

Go Gophers! Beat Nebraska! In Kill We Trust!

Normally I'm pretty loud.. But I tend to get more and more quiet when we consistently give up huge 3rd down plays that ultimately go for first downs. It's hard at that point to get loud again for another 3rd down knowing that our guys can't corral the opposing QB and let him fire downfield. (ie: Miami(OH) game).

But, I give it my all and this weekend won't be any different.

You can count on the lower part of sec 135 to be loud. But same as Formo, those 3rd down conversions take a toll. If your voice isn't raspy on Sunday morning then you weren't loud enough.

You can count on the lower part of sec 135 to be loud. But same as Formo, those 3rd down conversions take a toll. If your voice isn't raspy on Sunday morning then you weren't loud enough.

Yeah, my voicebox is going to be pissed at me come Sunday night/Monday. I'll be at the Vikings/Packers game this weekend as well. Can't wait for both slaughterfests.

+1 to all.

Agreed, tough to do it as the 3rd and longs we do get are converted over and over, etc.

However...until it is truly futile...and we've seen that too many times already very early...we need to try to at least have the crowd in it at the start.

First Nebraska possession...encouragement on first, more on second, and all in on 3rd down...

Hopefully the defense will give us something to yell about...

And repeat 2nd possession....etc.

Go Gophers!

I think the students were loud, hopefully every single minnesota fan is loud. I hate nebraska, Please beat them!

+1 to all.

Agreed, tough to do it as the 3rd and longs we do get are converted over and over, etc.

However...until it is truly futile...and we've seen that too many times already very early...we need to try to at least have the crowd in it at the start.

First Nebraska possession...encouragement on first, more on second, and all in on 3rd down...

Hopefully the defense will give us something to yell about...

And repeat 2nd possession....etc.

Go Gophers!

Don't worry about the third and longs. There won't be many with them getting 8 or 9 yards every carry. The crowd noise I expect is the ration of crap I will be getting from my brother and sister who are Neb. grads as we get our traditional thrashing. This one could be ugly folks. Will half of the stadium be in red?

The way the stadium is designed, it can get quite loud in there. I remember the Cal game still, when Gray caught that TD to tie it up. It was ridiculously loud, and Cal was shook, got a couple false starts and everything. But then, as has been noted, they converted a 3rd and long and from then on, it was all Cal I believe.

It's a dual thing, the players need to provide something to cheer about, but the crowd does need to be there making noise, trying to be a distraction, at least try to even up the playing field out there.

We cannot stand and yell on 3rd downs any longer because the people in the corporate seats directly behind us will 'bitch and moan and run' to the Security staff and complain. Was instructed that we would be asked to leave if we continued to stand on 3rd downs. So there you have it. We cannot stand up at halftime either because the people in the row behind us cannot see the field. And amazingly, the folks in the corporate seats behind are always fans from the opposing team.

We cannot stand and yell on 3rd downs any longer because the people in the corporate seats directly behind us will 'bitch and moan and run' to the Security staff and complain. Was instructed that we would be asked to leave if we continued to stand on 3rd downs. So there you have it. We cannot stand up at halftime either because the people in the row behind us cannot see the field. And amazingly, the folks in the corporate seats behind are always fans from the opposing team.

I really don't understand this. At all. It's commonplace for fans of all sports, level, and venues to stand on big plays or times of games. Vikings games the scoreboard will say STAND UP, they'll play the song on the PA that says "stand up and shout!!" and people do it. Twins (and all baseball) people stand. Hockey games people stand up and clap/yell/bang the glass on big plays/hits/goals. Unless you are pushing 80 with arthritis or have a kid right next to you too heavy to pick up but too short to see it is NOT a big deal. Corporate ticket holders are people like you and I and most likely fans of a sport or team somewhere and have to realize this is what fans do. They just clearly are not UMN fans and are taking in a casual game but are pissed that people have the audacity to block their view one out of 4 plays.

If I worked for the U I would make it a point to have the cheerleaders, scoreboard, etc (all U-run functions) have signage or words telling people to get on their feet and yell. Instruct security that 3rd down, big plays, key game times let people stand. If some clown is standing every play of the game then of course ask him to stop. No one should be forced to sit during exciting moments of the game.

This will be a neutral field at best sat.

That's actually why I had asked the question about this at the presser. At 1st, Kill kind of blew it off, saying he'd only concentrate on what he could....but then got into this. And honestly, I think there could be a home-field NE advantage, and I wanted to know how the players were being prepared for this.

The way the stadium is designed, it can get quite loud in there. I remember the Cal game still, when Gray caught that TD to tie it up. It was ridiculously loud, and Cal was shook, got a couple false starts and everything. But then, as has been noted, they converted a 3rd and long and from then on, it was all Cal I believe.

Ah yes. 3rd and long and we got a sack. No wait! Cal had a false start. The stadium was so loud none of the players could even hear the repeated whistles. Cal then proceeded to convert 3rd and long.:banghead:

Ah yes. 3rd and long and we got a sack. No wait! Cal had a false start. The stadium was so loud none of the players could even hear the repeated whistles. Cal then proceeded to convert 3rd and long.:banghead:

Thanks a million GIP. I thought I'd successfully forgotten that POS memory.

Thanks to Nadine Babu for the Coach Kill presser notes. Coach raised this point:

"I'm not going to worry about the Nebraska fans coming in, it's not going to change our preparation. It's part of college football. I've played in front of 110K at Michigan and didn't do well. If you're a focused football player, and you're a good football player and coach, you never hear anything anyway. The only thing you run into, is when Nebraksa goes to the line of scrimmage, and Martinez calls a play, if you have tons of crowd noise, and they can't hear the call, that's when it comes into effect. We need to get our crowd involved in it, so we can create that. You see all the no huddle offense, that's why you see that. The crowd has a lot to do with that, for check purposes, you can't hear." [Emphasis added]

I see this as a "call to action" for GH'ers to lead the charge this Saturday early on to get the crowd in the game when Nebraska has the ball.

The students have been consistently good, even when bad ball was being played, but the stands have lagged as the season has dragged on.

Admittedly Mrs. Billd and myself are consistently obnoxiously loud, and people sitting directly in front of us hate us, but we will raise it a few decibels for this week's challenge.

With Coach's encouragement, it will be "yell on" early and often to see if that can make a difference.

Go Gophers! Beat Nebraska! In Kill We Trust!
Students? You mean all 4,000 of them? The students are a joke and are the biggest problem concerning the lack of atmosphere at our home games.

Disagree on the count that the kids that DO show up are doing their part.

Agree that attendance is not where it should be.

Loops back to the culture thing I guess. Probably need more a "culture of success" (or at least a "culture of competence") to get high participation.

Still, this is the first home game in 3 weeks...it will be a perfect Saturday with a 2:30 PM start to boot...

We'll see what the students do. In the meantime, it's "noise on" for Section 212!

Go Gophers! Beat Nebraska!

Disagree on the count that the kids that DO show up are doing their part.

Agree that attendance is not where it should be.

Loops back to the culture thing I guess. Probably need more a "culture of success" (or at least a "culture of competence") to get high participation.

Still, this is the first home game in 3 weeks...it will be a perfect Saturday with a 2:30 PM start to boot...

We'll see what the students do. In the meantime, it's "noise on" for Section 212!

Go Gophers! Beat Nebraska!

you want the realistic, *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty answer? considering we are talking about 18-22 year old kids........yes, in the realm of things they really are still just kids..........many will probably do what kids often do. i.e. that being the self-centered thing.

some will say "blah" to doing their part and showing up in great numbers to cheer on and support their alma mater.

meanwhile some of them will go to their 100th same-old, same-old house party of the year to drink watered down, piss tasting natural light (when they should instead be screaming in the stands at tcf stadium), unsuccessfully try to put the moves on a fellow co-ed and then proceed to puke all over someone's grass for the 95th time.

just about summed up the average saturday for 90% of college students in america. character, life building stuff right. what is that old saying again? ah yes. "youth.......it is wasted on the young".

okay....rant over. :)

you want the realistic, *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty answer? considering we are talking about 18-22 year old kids........yes, in the realm of things they really are still just kids..........many will probably do what kids often do. i.e. that being the self-centered thing.

some will say "blah" to doing their part and showing up in great numbers to cheer on and support their alma mater.

meanwhile some of them will go to their 100th same-old, same-old house party of the year to drink watered down, piss tasting natural light (when they should instead be screaming in the stands at tcf stadium), unsuccessfully try to put the moves on a fellow co-ed and then proceed to puke all over someone's grass for the 95th time.

just about summed up the average saturday for 90% of college students in america. character, life building stuff right. what is that old saying again? ah yes. "youth.......it is wasted on the young".

okay....rant over. :)
Lol, 90%? Probably more like 50%. The fact of the matter is these students don't go to the U because of sports, why should they go to the games? Most students are what would be considered a casual fan, they need a reason to go.

The percentage of student seats that are full seems to be roughly the same as the percentage of players on the field giving it their all on a consistent basis. I would say that students are showing up at the same rate as the players. I know we can say the team lacks size, talent, speed, and strength, but they had enough of those four to hang with USC. When receivers are jogging their routes in the first quarter (when we have only had the ball for about 5 minutes), it is tough to get anyone too energized.

I just don't think it is fair to take shots at the commitment level of the students when the players getting tuition don't seem to be fully committed right now.

The percentage of student seats that are full seems to be roughly the same as the percentage of players on the field giving it their all on a consistent basis. I would say that students are showing up at the same rate as the players. I know we can say the team lacks size, talent, speed, and strength, but they had enough of those four to hang with USC. When receivers are jogging their routes in the first quarter (when we have only had the ball for about 5 minutes), it is tough to get anyone too energized.

I just don't think it is fair to take shots at the commitment level of the students when the players getting tuition don't seem to be fully committed right now.

well, at least the players (whether you feel they are fully committed and giving it their all or not) are in the stadium on game day. wouldn't kill the students to take a few hours out of each week and do the same. that, to me, is the definition of self-centered and only caring about yourself and not supporting your alma mater.

well, at least the players (whether you feel they are fully committed and giving it their all or not) are in the stadium on game day. wouldn't kill the students to take a few hours out of each week and do the same. that, to me, is the definition of self-centered and only caring about yourself and not supporting your alma mater.
Most of the students aren't sports fans! They have no reason to want to go to the game because they didn't choose the school based on the sports team. "Supporting the school" to them doesn't mean going to a sports game. You don't understand this point of view because you ARE a sports fan and I'm guessing all of your friends are sports fans.

You're kidding aren't you, when I was at the U the last place you would have ever found me was an athletic event. I didn't have the time, the money, and in the end the interest. Whats the cost of a game for a student, 20 bucks, I sure didn't have it.

You're kidding aren't you, when I was at the U the last place you would have ever found me was an athletic event. I didn't have the time, the money, and in the end the interest. Whats the cost of a game for a student, 20 bucks, I sure didn't have it.
If I had 20 bucks, I would be spending it on a lot of things other than sports, such as food not from the cafeteria. Luckily students here get in free to athletic events.

Harley Gopher. Please contact Fan Relations. This is unacceptable for security to be doing this. It is known that 3rd downs are more than appropriate times to stand and yell. If security is telling you that you may not, they are going against what they have been told to enforce. Please contact Fan Relations and let them know your section so they can correct this issue.

Aw shucks, fly, my whole fraternity had a tradition of not showing up until the end of the 1st quarter. When we did, we brought our fresh enthusiasm to the section directly behind the band. We never left until the band stopped playing.

Most of the students aren't sports fans! They have no reason to want to go to the game because they didn't choose the school based on the sports team. "Supporting the school" to them doesn't mean going to a sports game. You don't understand this point of view because you ARE a sports fan and I'm guessing all of your friends are sports fans.

I would like to buy that, but many don't join the alumni association, give to academic fund drives after graduating, etc either. I'd say that qualifies as NOT supporting the U.

In fairness, I think they still pay a fee for the stadium as a student involuntarily.

I would like to buy that, but many don't join the alumni association, give to academic fund drives after graduating, etc either. I'd say that qualifies as NOT supporting the U.

In fairness, I think they still pay a fee for the stadium as a student involuntarily.
And they also support the U by PAYING FOR SCHOOL

Top Bottom