What's your "Priority Points" Ranking?

Where's your ranking for "priority points" for seats in TCF?

• Not a season ticket holder

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Top 15% of points

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Between top 16% to top 30%

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Between top 31% and 50%

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Below 50% but above 65%

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Below 65% but above 85%

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Below the top 85%

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
If you have season tickets, you've gotten a series of mailings regarding your "priority points" and the relative position you have. While we added a few points during the "adjustment" period, our ranking has dropped a bit and I'm curious where other GopherHolers are in the scheme of things.

Are you a season ticket holder and, if so, what's your ranking? Top 10%? Middle of the pack? Bottom 10%?

Is there actually anyone with a ranking in the bottom 30 percent? As I understand, season tickets total about 27,500, and the rankings are based on a total of 40,000 potential season tickets sold to the general public.

Is there actually anyone with a ranking in the bottom 30 percent? As I understand, season tickets total about 27,500, and the rankings are based on a total of 40,000 potential season tickets sold to the general public.

Maybe its b/c its late...but what are you talking about? Season tickets are sold out. That means there are approx 37,000 fans selecting seats (with 3K seats in reserve since they don't fill the priority seats yet).

Unless you mean there are 27,500 season ticket accounts.

By definition, there's some poor soul who's in the lowest 1% (or tied for it) just as there's some fortunate soul who's in the top 1%.

I'd suspect that someone who just bought season tickets, isn't a graduate of the U and hasn't made any significant financial contribution is going to be in the lower 30%. But they may not participate on G'hole.

If you have season tickets, you've gotten a series of mailings regarding your "priority points" and the relative position you have. While we added a few points during the "adjustment" period, our ranking has dropped a bit and I'm curious where other GopherHolers are in the scheme of things.

Are you a season ticket holder and, if so, what's your ranking? Top 10%? Middle of the pack? Bottom 10%?

Unfortunately, my tickets are split. The good thing is they are all above 50%. I can only hope that there are some decent tickets when I pick

Maybe its b/c its late...but what are you talking about? Season tickets are sold out. That means there are approx 37,000 fans selecting seats (with 3K seats in reserve since they don't fill the priority seats yet).

Unless you mean there are 27,500 season ticket accounts.

When the Gopher Points system was announced last May, they reported that there were 25,000 season tickets sold (not just accounts). When the 750 tickets were sold during the season, those buyers received rankings in the mid 27,000's, so they must have sold around 2,500 tickets since May.

I don't believe for a second that TCF is sold out; they just suspended season ticket sales until the current season ticket holders got situated in the stadium, so they know what exactly is available for new buyers. There will still be plenty of available seats this summer for those on the waiting list, although I'd imagine a number of those 9000 or so remaining seats have to be held back for faculty & staff, corporate donors, etc.

By definition, there's some poor soul who's in the lowest 1% (or tied for it) just as there's some fortunate soul who's in the top 1%.

This would be true if there were actually 40,000 season tickets sold.

There aren't. Not even close.

This would be true if there were actually 40,000 season tickets sold.

There aren't. Not even close.

Ah...the vast ticket conspiracy begins! Care to back this up with um...anything? Or can I add you to the list of posters with an asterisks behind their name because they accuse someone of lying with no proof whatsoever?

And yes I can read the numbers you tossed up on the screen. It might be nice if you could source those. Otherwise I'll have to assume you got them in some sort of a magical vision.

Are you actually claiming that the U is approx 13,000 tickets short of a sellout but has decided to lie to everyone? Because that has to be one of the silliest things I've heard of.

I've been told by someone that bought tickets during that period that the ticket office was selling a final 750 tickets, that their ranking was in the mid 27,000's. Also, I played around with the "What If" scenarios during that time, and if I bought tickets at that time, my new tickets also showed a proposed ranking in the mid 27,000's. I'm sorry I can't link the "What If" site, because it's no longer available.

I didn't claim any conspiracy, I'm just saying that there aren't 40,000 public season tickets sold, which is what the denominator is when they report rankings. I don't know what they are capping season tickets sales at because, as I said before, I'm sure they're holding some back for faculty and others (a couple thousand? just a guess). They should still be able to sell several thousand more season tickets this summer, but until the current season ticket holders are situated in TCF, they really don't know what the can offer to new purchasers. Thus the ticket sales were suspended for a while.

Call me silly if you want, but how could we possibly have 40,000 public season ticket holders when we had crowds of 40,000 total (including students) this past season? The U has a tradition of counting tickets sold and everyone else in the building to puff up the announced attendance figures. And if we really sold 15,000 season tickets since May, Iowa shouldn't have been able to take over the Metrodome in November, just like they had in previous years.

I guess we'll find out more in the months ahead. But my firm belief is that people on the waiting list should have no problem getting tickets.

We actually rank 28,000th and we had 4 season tickets all last year(bought in Jan of 08) and I know many people who are behind us, including people on the waiting list and people who had season tickets last year. I know some people who bought tickets last year(July of 08) right before the season started who rank in the high 29,000s.

So to answer your question, yes, there are people in the bottom 30 percent.

Thanks go4rube. It sounds like we may be getting closer to 37,000 than I thought, although still quite a ways to go. Hopefully we get there this summer - It would be great to know the Badgers will truly be limited to 3,000 fans at TCF in October.

I guess we'll find out more in the months ahead. But my firm belief is that people on the waiting list should have no problem getting tickets.

I disagree with you're overall point but I'm in agreement with you here (for different reasons). I don't know how long the wait list is, but I would guess that anyone in the first 1,000 spots will probably be ok since the sold out seats don't include the approx 2,700 "priority seats" that have $$$ gifts attached to them.

What is going to happen to the balance of the 'priority seats' that do not sell? Will they lower the amount? Or will their be a 1000 empties in the combined areas?

I have no idea where we stand. The "responsible" one in our group takes care of ordering tickets and we pay him back. Last I heard, we had about 10,000 points.

I agree with GV on the ticket situation. There might be around 40,000 counting the 10,000 student seats. I purchased season tickets the day before the Montana St game and recieved a ranking of 27,910-27,912. Non U grad and no donation. I believe they sold season tickets til Nov 1 and then everyone after that was put on a waiting list, so maybe they got to 30,000.

I'm also like 802 on the waiting list.

30,000 season tickets
10,000 student seats
3,000 visiting seats
7,000 left???

Maybe I'm way off

I've been told by someone that bought tickets during that period that the ticket office was selling a final 750 tickets, that their ranking was in the mid 27,000's

I purchased season tickets the day before the Montana St game and recieved a ranking of 27,910-27,912.

You have to realize that these are the gopher point rankings at the time. We were ranked 25,500 in August but now rank 28,000. We are all non-graduates/non-donors.

What is going to happen to the balance of the 'priority seats' that do not sell? Will they lower the amount? Or will their be a 1000 empties in the combined areas?

First, I doubt there will be any leftovers in these sections. I doubt that everyone who currently has the point to buy up these seats will do so, but I also doubt that the best seats in the house will last all the way to the waiting list.

Assuming for a minute that this were to happen then they would be offered to the wait list members at their current cost. On the very small chance there are still some left at the end I'm betting some corporate accounts would snatch them up.

Any unsold preferred seats

I doubt there will be 1,000 of them as suggested by Brewscrew (is that Brew's Crew or Brew Screw?), but I suppose there could be a few. One of the initial communications on the whole Gopher Point system indicated that any seats in the preferred seating area that weren’t sold would be used for other purposes (e.g. corporate partners) rather than offered at some reduced rate. They almost have to do that to preserve the integrity of the system and avoid people trying to wait them out, having to re-seat everyone or explain to somebody who ponied up $500/seat at the outset why some people in the same section did not.

Silly question, but what about walk up sales? aren't tickets purposefully left aside for that?

Silly question, but what about walk up sales? aren't tickets purposefully left aside for that?

Not if they can sell them out with season ticket sales. The exception to this would be visitor seating. My understanding is that if the visitors can't sell out their allotment of 3,000 seats the unsold tickets can be sold as single game/walk up tickets by the ticket office.

# of accounts

I have a copy of the 5/25/08 Pioneer Press article (the day after the Gopher Point system was announced) that had some interesting info on accounts at that time. Sorry I can't link the article, as it has been archived. It says that there are 9,304 total accounts at that time, and stratifies the accounts by number of consecutive years as season ticket holders:

1-10 5,720 (61.5%)
11-20 1,309 (14.1%)
21-30 1,294 (13.9%)
31-40 446 (4.8%)
41-50 188 (2.0%)
51-60 184 (2.0%)
61-70 118 (1.3%)
71+ 45 (0.5%)

The Strib article from that day also threw out the 9,304 figure for accounts, and said that the accounts represent approximately 25,000 season tickets.

Anyone here in the over 7 decades group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom