Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q&A: Reid Travis Yet Another 2014 Prep on Gophers and High-Major Recruiting Radar

Reid Travis Yet Another 2014 Prep on Gophers and High-Major Recruiting Radar
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/136425?referrer_id=331171

Sophomore Reid Travis of Minneapolis DeLaSalle is one of the state’s top two-sport athletes. He had an outstanding season as the quarterback for the Islanders and is one of the state’s top basketball players in the loaded Class of 2014.

Travis is the younger brother of Jonah, who is at Harvard after averaging 19.0 points per game as a senior. The younger brother is averaging over 19 points per game this season, showing off his offensive game with the loss of his older sibling and the other six top scorers from last season.

Travis played for the Minnesota Pump N Run 15-and-under AAU program, which won the King of the Court Tournament and was second place in the Double Pump Spring Tournament in Denver, the Pump N Run Spring Classic and adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas.

GopherHole.com recently caught up with Travis to learn the latest on his continued development and recruitment.

GopherHole: I know that you have picked up two offers from Creighton and Northwestern. How pleased are you with getting that kind of recognition as a sophomore?

Reid Travis: I am really happy. I know that Northwestern and Creighton are two really good schools and I know that this year, they are having successful years. Just to pick that up early is really nice.

GopherHole: What others schools are you hearing from right now?

Reid Travis: A couple of Big Ten schools like Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Florida State still. Iowa State.

GopherHole: How about your team’s play? How pleased are you with how well you are playing right now?

Reid Travis: I am real pleased. I think as the season is going on, we are getting better and maturing. I know that we are a younger team and had some young mistakes at the start, but you can tell that every game we are just getting better, which is good if we keep improving through March, we should be pretty good.

GopherHole: The last time I saw you play, De La Salle had probably their worst game of the season in Wisconsin, losing to Sun Prairie 61-35.

Reid Travis: That was a tough one.

GopherHole: Was that a good experience for you? I know that you don’t want to lose, but there are things you can gain from a loss like that which will help you later on in the season.

Reid Travis: Yes. We needed that. That loss, when we got beat down like that, you could tell in everyone’s eyes, the motivation after that, coming to practice and working a lot harder. We weren’t going to let that happen again. I think that just upped our play the past couple of weeks.

GopherHole: Have you talked to some schools about trying to make some visits or go to some college camps?

Reid Travis: I really haven’t talked about that at all. Probably in the spring, I’ll start doing that.

GopherHole: What are the expectations for the rest of the year and going into the playoffs?

Reid Travis: To win our section first and get into state would be pretty good. That is what we need to do. From there on, we are trying to win a state championship. That is what we worked for. Anything less than that, we would just fall short of our expectations.

GopherHole: You are averaging 19 points per game as a sophomore, which is more than your brother averaged as a senior. Have you mentioned that to him as a little bit of a sibling rivalry?

Reid Travis: I talked to him about that. Don’t tell him that. He’ll say it is a different kind of basketball now.

GopherHole: You put up 32 points the other week and have had some big offensive games. You have to be pleased with your own individual play this year?

Reid Travis: Yes, I am pretty happy with it.

GopherHole: What things have you been working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Reid Travis: Just on my strength a lot. I have been hitting the weight room, especially for working in the paint a lot, playing guys that are bigger than me day in and day out. Just to get a lot stronger is what I am trying to do.

GopherHole: Have you had a chance to get to many college games this season?

Reid Travis: I went to a Gopher game versus NDSU and I went to the Iowa State-Kansas game.

GopherHole: Iowa State had a big upset that game with a big crowd. What was that experience like?

Reid Travis: There is nothing better. Just to see a student section and storm the court and go into the locker room right after it happened. There is nothing better than that.

GopherHole: What was the experience like going to the Minnesota game?

Reid Travis: It was a good game. NDSU came down and they were pretty good and the Gophers had to battle to beat them. Just to see how the Gophers picked it up and the team camaraderie that they had. It was nice to see.

GopherHole: I know that Harvard is not on TV much, but have you had a chance to follow your brother much, either online or talking to him after games?

Reid Travis: Yes. I actually have it on my IPad, so I follow all the stats and play-by-play and try to do it that way. I’ll text him a lot and call him about the games. .

GopherHole: Would you ever think about going there or would you rather play closer to home where your parents can come and see you play. I know that it is tough for them because they are used to watching Jonah play, but it is so far away.

Reid Travis: I would always put them at the top of the list. I would love to go out there with him, so just to always have that as one or two and consider that.

every few days i feel like gopherhole has another interview with a stud 2014 kid. we can't sign them all obviously. my fear is we'll gush over vaughn and tyus, and we'll lose the osseo kid and guys like travis before we lose the top guys. tough spot to be in, but better than what we have this years in class which isn't much.

It will be interesting to see how the 2014 in-state offers are given out. Guys like Travis will get many high major offers and hopefully we make the right decisions.

I liked Jonah a lot (real competitor, dude you'd like to go to war with on your side) and enjoyed watching Reed last summer.. Really looking forward to see him in AAU ball this year. Definitely a kid I'd recommend going out to see this late-spring and summer.

Gophers offer Reid Travis

per Monter's tweet:

"Minnesota offered 2014 DeLaSalle's Reid Travis. He also picked up offers from Washington State, Lehigh & Harvard & heard from USC & Stanford"

Go Gophers!!

Iowa St offers DE La Salle 2015 Point Gaurd Jarvis Johnson as well as Reid Travis!

THE SCOUT!

Don't sit on your hands too long Tubby...

Marshawn Wilson is going to need an offer sooner rather than later too.

Don't sit on your hands too long Tubby...

Marshawn Wilson is going to need an offer sooner rather than later too.

I think two 2015 offers is enough for one year let him prove himself to be the number two on his team.

I think two 2015 offers is enough for one year let him prove himself to be the number two on his team.

Yeah it's pretty early. He doesn't necessarily need to offer right this second, but he can't sit on his hands too long and let other teams develop relationships with them while they feel offended that the Gophers haven't offered them yet. Not saying they will feel offended already, but if he waits too long like he tends to do sometimes, they might start to.

Tubby is in contact with Marshawn and Jarvis . Tubby does not appear to be big on offering anyone first. Jarvis and Marshawn look to be a poor mans D.1. version of Tyus and Rashad class of 2015. I guess if a sharp like Hoiberg offers a Mpls. 2015 Jarvis Johnson then Tubby should seriously consider pulling the trigger.

Reid Travis: "I would always consider the “U” on the top of my list, no matter what."

Reid Travis: "I would always consider the “U” on the top of my list, no matter what."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/157640?referrer_id=331171

Reid Travis, a 2014 forward from Minneapolis DeLaSalle, recently added a Minnesota scholarship basketball offer. Travis, who is one of the state’s top two-sport athletes, had an outstanding season as the quarterback for the Islanders and is one of the state’s top basketball players in the loaded Class of 2014. GopherHole.com recently caught up with Travis to learn the latest on his recruitment and the appeal of playing for the hometown team.

Travis is the younger brother of Jonah, who was a freshman at Harvard this season. Travis averaged over 19 points per game as he led the Islanders to the Class AAA state title.

Travis played for the Minnesota Pump N Run 15-and-under AAU program last season, which won the King of the Court Tournament and was second place in the Double Pump Spring Tournament in Denver, the Pump N Run Spring Classic and adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas. This year, he has moved up to the 17-and-under team that will play in the adidas Invitational in Indianapolis this week. Minnesota assistant coach Ron Jirsa will be watching Travis among other players.

GopherHole.com recently caught up with Travis to learn the latest on his recruitment and appeal of playing for the hometown school.

Gopher Hole: After June 15th, college could start calling members of the Class of 2014 and that you picked up some new offers. Who has offered you since then?

Reid Travis: Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa State, Washington State, Colorado, Lehigh and Harvard.

Gopher Hole: I know that other colleges also contacted you. What other schools have you heard from?

Reid Travis: Stanford, USC and Oregon.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel pretty good?

Reid Travis: Yes. It is nice.

Gopher Hole: You also picked up a football offer from Boston College. That has to be neat, too?

Reid Travis: Yes, it was kind of nice. It was unexpected. Just to see the coach. I think that I meet him and they offered on the same day, so that was kind of nice.

GopherHole: Are you hearing from other schools for football?

Reid Travis: A couple of Big Ten schools. Iowa , Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin.

Gopher Hole: Are you still leaning more towards basketball or would you even think about playing football in college?

Reid Travis: I would definitely consider it. I haven’t really picked one or thought about it in any way. I’ll just play it out.

Gopher Hole: Unfortunately, it would be tough to play both sports at a high level, right?

Reid Travis: Definitely.

Gopher Hole: What things have you been really working on to continue to improve yourself as a basketball player?

Reid Travis: I would say just shooting and dribbling. Trying to take my game to the wing a lot more. Transitioning from the post during the season, so once the summer comes, I’ll be able to add more a guard’s skill set.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota Pump N Run has done well so far this season. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Reid Travis: I am pretty pleased. We have gotten deep in a couple of tournaments and I think that in July, we can do some work.

Gopher Hole: DeLaSalle lost some key seniors, but you return yourself and point guard Jarvis Johnson and some other key players. What are the expectations for next year?

Reid Travis: I think the repeat. I think that anything less than that would be kind of selling ourselves short. I know that we have a lot of key pieces back and I think that the people stepping in can fill the roles that we lost any ways. I’m excited for the season

Gopher Hole: Do you think that you are going to have a little bit of a target on your back because you are expected to be right back in the mix next year?

Reid Travis: Yes, definitely. Last year, we just kind of flew under the radar and that kind of played into it. It was good for us, because people didn’t really expected much, but this year, with that target on our back like you said, we are going to get the best game out of everybody.

Gopher Hole: How nice is it to get a chance to see your brother play in the Howard Pulley Summer League?

Reid Travis: It is really nice. I haven’t seen play in a couple of month now, so it is just nice to see him.

Gopher Hole: How much do see that his game has improved in the last year of college?

Reid Travis: A lot. A lot more physical. A lot more explosive. Just that year of lifting in college. Just that mindset that you get to see.

Gopher Hole: You went to Chicago the other week for the adidas Nations. What was that experience like?

Reid Travis: It was incredible. Just to see these players that you hear about and see online. Just to see them in person and how they carry themselves as players and see their work ethic. That just gave me things to bring back to Minnesota and translate that to my game.

Gopher Hole: Does that give you even more confidence that you can play with those guys?

Reid Travis: Definitely. I just kind of brings them more to a reality that they are not just off there. That you can step on the same level as them and play with them.

Gopher Hole: You play on the same AAU team as other talented big men like Ian Theissen and Cullen Russo. How much do you think that helps you even in practice going up against them to make yourself a better player?

Reid Travis: It helps a lot. Whenever you get a chance to go against other top level players, that just rises your game up. Playing against people that you can beat up on everyday, you are not going to get better. Playing against them, they help you rise your game.

Gopher Hole: What was it like to hear from the homestate school and get an offer from them?

Reid Travis: It was nice. Minnesota. I have grown up right by the campus and I have always seen them play, so it was just nice to have that hometown offer.

Gopher Hole: Is that something that would appeal to you to play in front of your family and friends or would you want to get away or have you even thought that far since you are only a sophomore?

Reid Travis: I haven’t really thought that far, but I would always consider the “U” on the top of my list, no matter what.

Gopher Hole: How nice is it to get a chance to see your brother play in the Howard Pulley Summer League?

Reid Travis: It is really nice. I haven’t seen play in a couple of month now, so it is just nice to see him.

Gopher Hole: How much do see that his game has improved in the last year of college?

Reid Travis: A lot. A lot more physical. A lot more explosive. Just that year of lifting in college. Just that mindset that you get to see.

With Mbakwe not playing HP, his brother is the 'Beast' of the league. Strong, explosive kid, basically unstoppable. He is going to have a big season next year.

New Reid Travis Highlight Video

For those interested, here is a new video of Gopher target Reid Travis:

very hard working/physical player and very serious about improving mid-range game.

Don't we stand a good chance of getting this kid? I like how he doesn't shy from contact at all and he even looks to have some muscle and size. If we can't get Tyus, but some how end up with Vaughn and Travis, I'd be pretty happy.

MadtownGopher said:
Don't we stand a good chance of getting this kid? I like how he doesn't shy from contact at all and he even looks to have some muscle and size. If we can't get Tyus, but some how end up with Vaughn and Travis, I'd be pretty happy.

Agreed. Tyus is the huge prize, but this class is so stacked that there are lots of options.

I like how he doesn't shy from contact at all and he even looks to have some muscle and size.

He's a big kid. His brother Jonah was a solid guy physically, but over the past year has gotten even scarier. Strong dude and a big time warrior.. could start making his name known at Harvard this year.. if not this year, it'll come.

Reid's a very good player. Couple things he could work on, but that's true for everyone.

He's a big kid. His brother Jonah was a solid guy physically, but over the past year has gotten even scarier. Strong dude and a big time warrior.. could start making his name known at Harvard this year.. if not this year, it'll come.

Reid's a very good player. Couple things he could work on, but that's true for everyone.

Johah is an absolute beast and his brother is taller and on pace to be even stronger. If he doesn't have a break out season at Harvard this year I'd be shocked.

Travis ranked #31 nationally by ESPN, joining three Minnesota kids in the top 31...amazing:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2014/order/true

Go Gophers!!

I wouldn't usually support banking scholarships, but if Tubby has any incling that these kids will sign here if he does. He needs to do it. In theory, he could pull a recruiting class of Washington in 2013, then Okafor, Jones, Vaughn, and Travis in 2014. That is a scary, scary team and it'd be awful to miss on any of these guys due to lack of scholarships. Especially since, IMO, 2013 will be a "rebuilding" year anyways as we prep for 2014.

(My reasoning for this is that if the Gophers are to have a legit chance at these 2014 guys we need a BIG year in 2012 - I am thinking elite 8. I think a "big" year requires star numbers from Andre Hollins and I would not be surprised at all to see him go to the NBA if he can put up Trey Burke type numbers -who was flirting with the NBA last season- for an elite 8 team after this season if that does occur. Losing Trevor, Rodney, Dre and possibly more could make 2013 a rebuilding year and leave us with plenty of "cap space" to save and use for 2014)

I am a big Reid Travis fan and I hope he one day wears Maroon and Gold but.....I will say after seeing him play close up a number of times being ranked 31st in his grade is a little bit of a leap. Unlike Tyus and Vaughn who like everyone else has things to work on, Reid himself to be a Div 1 big ten player needs to work much harder then those twoin my opinion. Right now Reid is 6'6. He plays the position of a PF on the court. His mid range game and deeper is not even close to the Div 1 level right now. Although he is not unathletic he also is not extremely athletic either. I would have to say his national ranking is really based off of him either growing 2+ more inches or by the time college comes around he has a very consistent 15-18 foot jumper.

I wish him the best but a 6'6 PF in the big ten just wont cut it.

I am a big Reid Travis fan and I hope he one day wears Maroon and Gold but.....I will say after seeing him play close up a number of times being ranked 31st in his grade is a little bit of a leap. Unlike Tyus and Vaughn who like everyone else has things to work on, Reid himself to be a Div 1 big ten player needs to work much harder then those twoin my opinion. Right now Reid is 6'6. He plays the position of a PF on the court. His mid range game and deeper is not even close to the Div 1 level right now. Although he is not unathletic he also is not extremely athletic either. I would have to say his national ranking is really based off of him either growing 2+ more inches or by the time college comes around he has a very consistent 15-18 foot jumper.

Not saying Travis is this type of player (never seen him play personally), but height can't always determine a guys ability at a certain position.

Our very own Tubby Smith coached Chuck Hayes (at UK) a quality 6-6 PF/C who has stuck in the NBA for a few years as well. It'd be great were Travis to grow or were taller now, but height doesn't have to determine what position you can play necessarily. He was also the #46 overall recruit in 2001.

I agree that Reid Travis at 31 might be a bit too high, but I think he's closer to 6'7 and very strong, so still undersized, but not as much as you make it seem. Don't go by what the sites list him at. Kids grow and gain/lose weight every day. Impossible to keep accurate numbers for stuff like that. Also, he does have a good mid range jumper and is solid from three point range too. He might not be a true small forward, but he can certainly play from the perimeter against bigger defenders. Tubby needs to go after him hard.

31 is a major leap. Bottom line Reid played very well against high end competition henceforth earning a high rating. The gophs have their hands full getting top 100 kids so even if he was really a top 75 kid he would still be a very good get for the U

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom