Reid Travis Picks Stanford Over U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I think the Gophers have a legit shot at Travis. Not so much with Jones, and I'm not sure I'd say the Gophers have a legit shot at Vaughn now, either. But Travis just doesn't have the caliber of offers that those other guys have. Doesn't make nearly as much sense to leave home for a school like Stanford (who has been a middling college basketball program no better than Minnesota lately) as UK or DU. And no I don't think basketball players really pick a school for the academics, so I don't buy that excuse for picking a school like Stanford.

Well, I think the Gophers have a legit shot at Travis. Not so much with Jones, and I'm not sure I'd say the Gophers have a legit shot at Vaughn now, either. But Travis just doesn't have the caliber of offers that those other guys have. Doesn't make nearly as much sense to leave home for a school like Stanford (who has been a middling college basketball program no better than Minnesota lately) as UK or DU. And no I don't think basketball players really pick a school for the academics, so I don't buy that excuse for picking a school like Stanford.

Then you don't know Reid and his parents.

have to wonder though what smart young athlete would pick Minnesota over Stanford. or nearly anywhere over Stanford.

have to wonder though what smart young athlete would pick Minnesota over Stanford. or nearly anywhere over Stanford.

Haha, what are you trying to imply about our star guard Andre Hollins then? He's a very successful student in Carlson School of Management. Reid should use him as an example.

It's a classic: he said, she said, with imbedded hearsay!

A member here on Gopherhole saw me talking to James Lawson's mom for about a half an hour. I'm sure she has no insider to Reid's own mind, but her son and Reid are very close friends.

on a side note Lawson was named to the Star Tribune preseason first team all state team as a WR for football this year

Haha, what are you trying to imply about our star guard Andre Hollins then? He's a very successful student in Carlson School of Management. Reid should use him as an example.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I think Andre's first choice actually was Stanford. Someone committed before him and he ended up not having a spot there.

No doubt Stanford will be tough to beat out for Reid.

He can't study business at Stanford...it has worse basketball in the than the U these days and his family can't go to all his home games. If that is the competition, Pitino should be able to get him.

Then you don't know Reid and his parents.

I don't, but I've also yet to notice a top-50 hoops recruit turn pro in something other than sports right after college. Basketball (assuming that is the sport he chooses) is what is going to drive Travis' near future, and even the distant future whatever job he gets is probably going to be largely due to his notoriety from playing college basketball rather than the degree, no matter whether it's in business or real estate or life insurance or whatever.

I think Notre Dame would probably be ahead of Stanford if a business school education was one of his top priorities, you don't hear to much about them but I can't help but think they are going to be some tough competition in getting a commitment from Travis, good basketball the last couple of years, playing in a top conference, and one of the best undergraduate business schools in the country.

I'm with you, Travis seems legitimately undecided on where he wants to go right now, and he's in no huge rush to make a decision for a few months. That "coach" is either an imaginary person, not actually a coach, or a coach talking out of their @ss with no information. It's all speculation right now.

That is an incredibly true statement. Reid Travis and his family will make an informed decision when the timing is right for them.

They'll make an informed decision, and it IS all speculation right now.

That is an incredibly true statement. Travis and his family will make an informed decision when the timing is right for them. Regarding his desire to attend a University with a good Business School I do know this ..... Travis and his parents asked a lot of very good questions during their 3+ hours with the Academic folks during his official visit to Gonzaga. They appeared to come away impressed with a couple of details that were heretofore unknown to them ... i.e. Gonzaga's pass rate for first time CPA exams ranks 14th in the nation (and is 3 times as high as the national average). The 11-1 faculty to student ratio in Gonzaga's School of Business seemed desirable. And the fact that Mark Few has produced 2 "Double Double" All Americans -- 1st Team (Top 5) AP All American and 1st Team (Top 5) Academic All American. Dan Dickau was the 1st and Kelly Olynyk got the double/double last season. Those things seemed more important than Gonzaga's team jet ..... #1 ranking ..... and a lot of other basketball related items.

Good information. I heard Gonzaga was a good school, but nothing specific like this.

That is an incredibly true statement. Travis and his family will make an informed decision when the timing is right for them. Regarding his desire to attend a University with a good Business School I do know this ..... Travis and his parents asked a lot of very good questions during their 3+ hours with the Academic folks during his official visit to Gonzaga. They appeared to come away impressed with a couple of details that were heretofore unknown to them ... i.e. Gonzaga's pass rate for first time CPA exams ranks 14th in the nation (and is 3 times as high as the national average). The 11-1 faculty to student ratio in Gonzaga's School of Business seemed desirable. And the fact that Mark Few has produced 2 "Double Double" All Americans -- 1st Team (Top 5) AP All American and 1st Team (Top 5) Academic All American. Dan Dickau was the 1st and Kelly Olynyk got the double/double last season. Those things seemed more important than Gonzaga's team jet ..... #1 ranking ..... and a lot of other basketball related items.

So what does the CPA exam rate have to do with business school? In my 35+ of working with a couple of Fortune 500 companies (the big ones that do not call Spokane home), I have found very few CPA's. I am sure that Gonzaga is a very good school, but it is not ranked in the top 124 business schools according to the Bloomberg undergraduate school rankings. The U is ranked 39th for undergraduates.

So what does the CPA exam rate have to do with business school? In my 35+ of working with a couple of Fortune 500 companies (the big ones that do not call Spokane home), I have found very few CPA's. I am sure that Gonzaga is a very good school, but it is not ranked in the top 124 business schools according to the Bloomberg undergraduate school rankings. The U is ranked 39th for undergraduates.

I'm sure if the Travis family does an official visit to Minnesota they'll be very impressed with things there (i.e. the #39 undergrad business school in the nation).

BTW here's a list that Gonzaga made last year that the U will never appear on: http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/...ools-ever-to-be-ranked-no-1-in-the-ap-top-25/

You'd probably have to ask Mrs. Travis why she appeared to be interested in that particular statistic. My guess is that it indicates that with the 11 to 1 faculty/student ratio in the School of Business that the GU students are actually learning .... and the fact is that 75.6 percent of GU students pass the CPA exam on the first try when the national average is in the 20's (based on a minimum of 60 candidates sitting). Or it could have been in reference to Kelly Olynyk's (Top 5 Academic All American) Accounting degree. Or if Reid came to Gonzaga, he'd have 2 years of Accounting as part of the core Business curriculum. Again, I'm not sure why they appeared interested in that.

I'm sure if the Travis family does an official visit to Minnesota they'll be very impressed with things there (i.e. the #39 undergrad business school in the nation).

BTW here's a list that Gonzaga made last year that the U will never appear on: http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/...ools-ever-to-be-ranked-no-1-in-the-ap-top-25/

Do you know if Kelly would even be able to take the CPA exam? He's probably a bit short of the required 150 credit hours... if he was unsure about the NBA heading into the spring semester, would have probably eased into the MBA classes.

Great school though. Cura personalis.

You'd probably have to ask Mrs. Travis why she appeared to be interested in that particular statistic. My guess is that it indicates that with the 11 to 1 faculty/student ratio in the School of Business that the GU students are actually learning .... and the fact is that 75.6 percent of GU students pass the CPA exam on the first try when the national average is in the 20's (based on a minimum of 60 candidates sitting). Or it could have been in reference to Kelly Olynyk's (Top 5 Academic All American) Accounting degree. Or if Reid came to Gonzaga, he'd have 2 years of Accounting as part of the core Business curriculum. Again, I'm not sure why they appeared interested in that.

Well.. I have no idea what RT wants to study while in business school. However, accounting is just one part of business school. I went to business school and could give a flying F about accounting.. I concentrated in finance. There is also marketing, operations, etc. Lastly, if you are serious about business schools, then your choice is also partly driven by where you want to work. Stanford would open the doors nationally. Gonzaga and MN would not. That said, if you want to work in the Twin Cities, Carlson is tough to beat.. seems like 50% of my customers went there at one point. Sooo much more to it than % of folks that pass a CPA exam. Does RT even want to study accounting beyond a core course? Who knows.

Minnesota would open doors nationally. Stanford doesn't even have a business school. So if he wants to go into accounting or say, finance, majoring in art history or whatever at Stanford isn't going to get him there. Except in 6 states...that DON'T include Washington and Minnesota, you can't take the CPA exam without 150 hours of accounting classes BEYOND your bachelor's degree. So Gonzaga grads can't even take the test unless they are studying the amount of time that is basically equivalent of a master's degree. Also, Spokane is so darn isolated, it is difficult to gain any experience and exposure to the business world while in school. The reason Gonzaga probably touts their statistic is probably because it is the only good business statistic coming out of their school.

I am confident Travis is seriously considering Minnesota. It's home, it has the best business degree of the schools he is considering and the basketball is pretty solid. While Gonzaga may have better basketball, Stanford does not. While Stanford might have more prestige, it doesn't have business and its basketball has been pretty lousy lately. I like our chances.

Well.. I have no idea what RT wants to study while in business school. However, accounting is just one part of business school. I went to business school and could give a flying F about accounting.. I concentrated in finance. There is also marketing, operations, etc. Lastly, if you are serious about business schools, then your choice is also partly driven by where you want to work. Stanford would open the doors nationally. Gonzaga and MN would not. That said, if you want to work in the Twin Cities, Carlson is tough to beat.. seems like 50% of my customers went there at one point. Sooo much more to it than % of folks that pass a CPA exam. Does RT even want to study accounting beyond a core course? Who knows.

Thanks for the information/update

Except in 6 states...that DON'T include Washington and Minnesota, you can't take the CPA exam without 150 hours of accounting classes BEYOND your bachelor's degree. So Gonzaga grads can't even take the test unless they are studying the amount of time that is basically equivalent of a master's degree.

I love a good accounting thread. Your info is off - there are not 6 states without the 150 hour requirement. Also, for many states with the 150 hour requirement, it's not that you can't sit for the CPA exam without 150 hours, it's that you can't earn a CPA certification without 150 hours (for example, some states allow people to sit for the exam at 120 credits, but won't certify them with less than 150).

Also, the "150 hours of accounting classes BEYOND your bachelor's degree" is way off. The 150 hour rule is 150 semester hours of education, period.

You can do it all at the undergrad level.. or get a bachelor's and then take some grad courses... but don't need to get a graduate degree.... or can get an MBA... or can pursue a master's in accounting and/or taxation... (ps - suggested approach would be an integrated five-year program that allows you to earn a bachelor's + master's in acco or tax.)

Do you know if Kelly would even be able to take the CPA exam? He's probably a bit short of the required 150 credit hours... if he was unsure about the NBA heading into the spring semester, would have probably eased into the MBA classes.

Great school though. Cura personalis.

Good question re: Kelly. Despite leaving Gonzaga with a year of eligibility left, Kelly Olynyk had already graduated and was enrolled and taking classes in the MBA program last season. He'd taken a hefty undergraduate load, stuck around for summer school (when he wasn't playing on Canada's National Senior Men's team) and then he took on extra classes during his redshirt season (which he took after his sophomore year at Gonzaga).

One other note: it is unusual for a kid to take a redshirt season to develop after playing for 2 years, but Olynyk did it and transformed into an AP and Wooden Top 5 All American, NBA lottery pick and POY of the NBA Summer league (all done while becoming a Top 5 Academic All American). It is felt that is why Kentucky's Kyle Wiltjer (McDonald's All American and current SEC 6th Man of the Year) transferred to Gonzaga this summer and will redshirt (similar to Olynyk) prior to his Junior season.

Good question re: Kelly. Despite leaving Gonzaga with a year of eligibility left, Kelly Olynyk had already graduated and was enrolled and taking classes in the MBA program last season. He'd taken a hefty undergraduate load, stuck around for summer school (when he wasn't playing on Canada's National Senior Men's team) and then he took on extra classes during his redshirt season (which he took after his sophomore year at Gonzaga). It appears a comment I'd made earlier in this thread has ruffled the feathers of some of your boardmembers who aren't enamored with "Accounting". Kelly's MBA program is currently ranked #14 in the country by US News and World Report and the overall MBA program is ranked #73 in it's category. http://news.gonzaga.edu/2013/u-news-world-report-ranks-gonzagas-2

One other note: it is unusual for a kid to take a redshirt season to develop after playing for 2 years, but Olynyk did it and transformed into an AP and Wooden Top 5 All American, NBA lottery pick and POY of the NBA Summer league (all done while becoming a Top 5 Academic All American). It is felt that is why Kentucky's Kyle Wiltjer (McDonald's All American and current SEC 6th Man of the Year) transferred to Gonzaga this summer and will redshirt (similar to Olynyk) prior to his Junior season.

Edited to add: I made a mistake in a post above. While GU's CPA pass rate was in the Top 4% of the 781 schools with 10 or more students sitting ..... it's actual rank was 32 (not 14). #14 is the current National Ranking of Gonzaga's MBA Accounting Program per US News and World Report's March '13 listings. E6 .... booted that one. Sorry.

Kyle Wiltjer is redshirting because of the NCAA mandate that requires athletes that transfer to sit out a year of competition. There's no correlation to what he's doing and what you say Olynyk did.

I don't understand why people even consult school rankings. They are actually one reason why tuition costs so much. The constant need to hire certain people at big salaries and constructing new buildings all to improve an arbitrary number that doesn't actually mean anything.

With that being said, I cannot imagine a small Spokane school could be better than Carlson. The education at Gonzaga could be equal or better, but the connections to business are the important thing. Gonzaga cannot touch Carlson in that arena.

Good question re: Kelly. Despite leaving Gonzaga with a year of eligibility left, Kelly Olynyk had already graduated and was enrolled and taking classes in the MBA program last season. He'd taken a hefty undergraduate load, stuck around for summer school (when he wasn't playing on Canada's National Senior Men's team) and then he took on extra classes during his redshirt season (which he took after his sophomore year at Gonzaga). It appears a comment I'd made earlier in this thread has ruffled the feathers of some of your boardmembers who aren't enamored with "Accounting". Kelly's MBA program is currently ranked #14 in the country by US News and World Report and the overall MBA program is ranked #73 in it's category. http://news.gonzaga.edu/2013/u-news-world-report-ranks-gonzagas-2

Edited to add: I made a mistake in a post above. While GU's CPA pass rate was in the Top 4% of the 781 schools with 10 or more students sitting ..... it's actual rank was 32 (not 14). #14 is the current National Ranking of Gonzaga's MBA Accounting Program per US News and World Report's March '13 listings. E6 .... booted that one. Sorry.

Are you working for the Gonzaga Business School marketing team? This is geting annoying quick. There is literally no one on the board who cares about Gonzaga's business school statistics independent of Reid. While it is fun to throw in random super awesome statistics about one's school on another school's basketball forum, most of us aren't really into that.

But feel free to keep us updated on your school's statistics; I can reciprocate by flooding your board with a bunch of random statistics about the U and use words like "errata" as my mea culpa when I slip up on my awesome statistics by a considerable margin. It's fine; you're cool and really smart. Thanks for stopping by.

Kyle Wiltjer is redshirting because of the NCAA mandate that requires athletes that transfer to sit out a year of competition. There's no correlation to what he's doing and what you say Olynyk did.

You are incorrect re: the Wiltjer/Olynyk correlation vis a vis their redshirt seasons.

Kyle Wiltjer was considering three final options this summer ..... a) Continuing at Kentucky status quo. b) Continuing at Kentucky and taking a redshirt year there to get stronger and more focused on his game and c) Transfer to Gonzaga and take "the Olynyk Clinic" during a redshirt year to transform his body and elevate his game. After two seasons of college ball, Olynyk (then) and Wiltjer (now) had somewhat similar games ..... kids with height, ball handling and shooting skills but not the body or moxie to mix it up down low...... so their games were based on hovering around the perimeter. Olynyk and his dad (a coach) recognized this weakness and worked with Few and staff and came up with the "redshirt" plan for his Junior year. http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga/2020250797_gonzaga31.html

The "redshirt" year at Gonzaga, while an NCAA mandate IS THE REASON Kyle Wiltzer chose to transfer to Gonzaga. It certainly wasn't because of the opportunity for a home and home with BYU.

FWIW as a dual citizen, Kyle Wiltjer participates with the Team Canada program as as such is very familiar with Kelly Olynyk and his story. It also didn't hurt that earlier this summer that Gonzaga p.g. Kevin Pangos and Kyle Wiltjer spend considerable time together with Canada's World University Games team during camp, the team's trip to China, the continuation of camp and then to Kazan, Russia for the World University Games.

Are you working for the Gonzaga Business School marketing team? This is geting annoying quick. There is literally no one on the board who cares about Gonzaga's business school statistics independent of Reid. While it is fun to throw in random super awesome statistics about one's school on another school's basketball forum, most of us aren't really into that.

But feel free to keep us updated on your school's statistics; I can reciprocate by flooding your board with a bunch of random statistics about the U and use words like "errata" as my mea culpa when I slip up on my awesome statistics by a considerable margin. It's fine; you're cool and really smart. Thanks for stopping by.

Understood. In actuality I said what I'd wanted to say in my OP in this thread and then got a little carried away addressing some things that your boardmembers brought up. Sorry. I wouldn't mind if this was all deleted by your mods ... That being said, Reid Travis and his family will make an informed decision when the timing is right for them.

Bye for now and good luck to Minnesota.

You'd probably have to ask Mrs. Travis why she appeared to be interested in that particular statistic. My guess is that it indicates that with the 11 to 1 faculty/student ratio in the School of Business that the GU students are actually learning .... and the fact is that 75.6 percent of GU students pass the CPA exam on the first try when the national average is in the 20's. Or it could have been in reference to Kelly Olynyk's (Top 5 Academic All American) Accounting degree. Or if Reid came to Gonzaga, he'd have 2 years of Accounting as part of the core Business curriculum. Again, I'm not sure why they appeared interested in that.

Travis isn't going to Gonzaga. It's going to be Minnesota or Stanford, or possibly Duke if they miss on their higher PF targets. Congrats on your Perkins pickup, but go poke around another board now.

Travis isn't going to Gonzaga. It's going to be Minnesota or Stanford, or possibly Duke if they miss on their higher PF targets. Congrats on your Perkins pickup, but go poke around another board now.

Agreed. They have almost zero chance.

I love a good accounting thread. Your info is off - there are not 6 states without the 150 hour requirement. Also, for many states with the 150 hour requirement, it's not that you can't sit for the CPA exam without 150 hours, it's that you can't earn a CPA certification without 150 hours (for example, some states allow people to sit for the exam at 120 credits, but won't certify them with less than 150).

Also, the "150 hours of accounting classes BEYOND your bachelor's degree" is way off. The 150 hour rule is 150 semester hours of education, period.

You can do it all at the undergrad level.. or get a bachelor's and then take some grad courses... but don't need to get a graduate degree.... or can get an MBA... or can pursue a master's in accounting and/or taxation... (ps - suggested approach would be an integrated five-year program that allows you to earn a bachelor's + master's in acco or tax.)

Correct. Currently in the middle of my MBA.

I like the part where this thread has turned a discussion of Kelly Olynyk's chances of becoming a CPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom