PiPress Scrimmage Links: Trevor Mbakwe ready to carry a heavy load for the Gophers

This is a good note by Marcus:

After having prostate cancer surgery in April, Smith said he has a much more calm approach to coaching. That could help him get better results from his players because they really didn’t respond to being constantly ripped last season.

I agree. It's such a fine line between beating your kids down vs. being their best buddy. However, confidence and winning are contagious - it can go a lot further than people think. I want to see these kids having fun and looking like they enjoy playing bball again.

Winning is what makes it fun.This isn't junior high basketball.The problem last year wasn't Tubby ripping the players.It was no one could dribble or shoot.

Winning is what makes it fun.This isn't junior high basketball.The problem last year wasn't Tubby ripping the players.It was no one could dribble or shoot.

Really? Perhaps you have a different memory than I do. No doubt, we had a lot of issues come up (again) - but when you look at our losses, many are by 5 points are less, I think all of them (except OSU) were by 10 or less. I too, thought we may not have the talent without a PG, but we were in almost ever single game until the very end. Be sure to tell Trevor Mbakwe that no one could shoot, as he only had the 2nd highest FG % in the BT.

And yes, winning does make it fun, but you know what ruins confidence and any fun they may be having? Getting ripped apart. Just ask Blake Hoffarber how much he enjoyed that, and how it made him better.

[

And yes, winning does make it fun, but you know what ruins confidence and any fun they may be having? Getting ripped apart. Just ask Blake Hoffarber how much he enjoyed that, and how it made him better.[/QUOTE]

GL, care to elaborate? I don't recall Blake getting ripped publicly anyway.

Holy Man said:
[

And yes, winning does make it fun, but you know what ruins confidence and any fun they may be having? Getting ripped apart. Just ask Blake Hoffarber how much he enjoyed that, and how it made him better.

GL, care to elaborate? I don't recall Blake getting ripped publicly anyway.[/QUOTE]

Tubby was pretty upset after a loss and talked about the people on the bus and how Blake needed a shot fake, etc. it was a tough loss and tubby yelled at Blake pretty hard during as well (can't remember which game though). Blake never said it bothered him, it bothered a lot of fans though.

[

GL, care to elaborate? I don't recall Blake getting ripped publicly anyway.[/QUOTE]

I can't remember exactly which game, but she's probably referring to after a game when Tubby questioned Blake's shot selection, which seemed silly since he's our best shooter and his asset to us is his shooting. There's no question Tubby came off very poor more than once in his comments. I wouldn't call them "ripping" personally, but doesn't matter if that's how the players took it, that's what it was pretty much. But a more positive Tubby is a good thing IMO if it helps player morale and confidence on the court. We did lose a lot of nailbiters, but who knows if that was the difference or not.

All I know is, if we're winning, Tubby can say anything he wants lol....okay, not ANYTHING, but I'll let a lot slide haha

GL, care to elaborate? I don't recall Blake getting ripped publicly anyway.

I can't remember exactly which game, but she's probably referring to after a game when Tubby questioned Blake's shot selection, which seemed silly since he's our best shooter and his asset to us is his shooting. There's no question Tubby came off very poor more than once in his comments. I wouldn't call them "ripping" personally, but doesn't matter if that's how the players took it, that's what it was pretty much. But a more positive Tubby is a good thing IMO if it helps player morale and confidence on the court. We did lose a lot of nailbiters, but who knows if that was the difference or not.

All I know is, if we're winning, Tubby can say anything he wants lol....okay, not ANYTHING, but I'll let a lot slide haha

No worries. This is GL. Jabs at Tubby started already. Now, she has do it on her own since her friend has moved on to ESPN. For those of us who know Tubby's style for many years, last year was Tubby's most laidback coaching that we remember. It may have been caused by his cancer??? Last year's team had mental weakness. Those close games were lost because of this weakness not because Tubby's ripping players. Now, why does he say that he likes to be less angry at the players is because of the reputation that he has earned lately. This new approach will help his recruiting. That's all.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom