New tiebreaker rules?

Reaction score
Did anyone else hear that they're planning on instituting new tiebreaker rules? Now after head to head they're going to determine the winner by highest BCS standing. Could anyone clarify if I heard correctly or if I am mistaken? Wasn't the Big 12 ridiculed mercilessly last year for this exact reason?

I think they are going to more of the SEC rule.

In a three way tie, the lowest ranked team is eliminated. Then if the top 2 teams are within 6 (I think) spots of each other, then head to head is used.

If two or more teams are tied

The BCS rating comes into play? Please no more BCS. I would rather have the brain wizzards at the Big 10 Chose the Best Representive of The Big 10,or the old school way the team last to go is the choice. See Indiana, 1967. Heck old school Big 10 officinados will remember a big game between Michigan and Ohio State which Michigan won. I think Michigan was tied but undefeated. But they lost their quarterback midway through the Ohio State game, and Ohio State was awarded the bid to the Rose Bowl. Its hard to think Bo ever got screwed, but somebody in the Commissioner's office pulled one out of the hat.

The Big 12 was ridiculed because it used the BCS standings to determine who played in the conference championship game which essentially ended Texas' bid for a national championship. The key difference is that the Big Ten doesn't play a conference championship so the tie breaker doesn't come in to play until after all of the games have been played.

The BCS tie breaker makes a lot more sense than the former tie breaker which selected the team that had played the least number of FCS opponents in the non-conference (even though PSU was 4-0 ooc w/ a win over Oregon St., OSU was 3-1 w/ a loss to USC and MSU was 3-1 w/ a loss to Cal, MSU would have won a tie breaker if PSU, MSU & OSU were tied...this would have happened if PSU lost to MSU instead of Iowa). Moving over to the BCS as a tie breaker indirectly takes in to account OOC record & SOS which is definitely better than what we had.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Grunkie, I agree with you that the least number of FCS games was a horrible way to break the ties. I had expressed that previously on a thread about playing FCS opponents and used it as a reason not to schedule them.

Top Bottom