As we sit within the wreckage almost five years after Tempe,

Please inform me as to what my "type" is. I'd really love to know. And where the hell do you get off saying my stance is that there is "no tactic too low to stoop to"? I have been on record, many times, as saying that cheating to win is not winning at all. A clean, winning program with integrity is possible. It has been done many times.

I don't have a problem with the firing of Glen Mason...I have a problem with the timing. He should have been fired not extended the previous year and it should have been done immediately after the season ended the previous year if it was going to be done. Clearly if you were following the program (See job description Joel Maturi) you could see that Mason was not recruiting and the team had reached it's zenith under Mason.

It was a knee jerk reaction followed by a bone head hiring. Prexy B is already gone...Maturi has to be next. If the managed the Medical Research Center the same way they manage the football team, I guarantee you the Regents would be screaming for their heads. Tens of millions of dollars being managed by a third grade teacher instead of a serious business person.

My thoughts written much better. I'm not in a lather over Maturi, because I think he's not going to be extended.

As for Mason, I thought the contract negotiations that led to the "night before the Bowl" extension were clumsily done on both ends and I think the well was poisoned in the process.

Well, dopodoll, will it be extremely hard to top Mason's Big Ten win record during the next 25 years?

Mason averaged 3.2 Big Ten wins per season for his 10 years.

Since Mason's departure, there have been 4 completed seasons. During the brewster/Horton four year period, there were 8 Big Ten wins for a 2.0 Big Ten win per season average. How will Coach Kill fare in his first season? If he wins one Big Ten game, there would be 9 Big Ten wins in the first five seasons post Mason. That would be a 1.8 Big Ten wins per season average. If there are no Big Ten wins in 2011, the average would fall to 1.6 Big Ten wins per season. In order for the decade to produce an average of 3.2 Big Ten wins per season, there would have to be a fair amount of catching up done during the remaining 20 years in the comparison. During the final 20 years, the combined coaches would have to win Big Ten games at an average rate of 3.7 B.T. wins a season.

The fact of the matter is though that with Nebraska being added to the schedule every year, the task is even more difficult during the next 20 seasons.

The first five seasons of the "next twenty five" got off to a pretty darn rough start...Winning Big Ten Football games has NEVER been a very easy thing to do here at Minnesota.

; 0 (

Why in the world are you lumping in Brewster's record with Kill's? The NEXT 25 years do not include the PREVIOUS 5 years! 3.2 Big Ten wins per season isn't anything to get excited about. Still had 3.86 Big Ten wins per season. Gutekunst had nearly the same number of Big Ten wins per season, 3.17, counting ties as half a win, as there were 2 Big Ten ties during his time here. The difference? Stoll had Gutekunst played stronger non-conference schedules.

Why in the world are you lumping in Brewster's record with Kill's? The NEXT 25 years do not include the PREVIOUS 5 years! 3.2 Big Ten wins per season isn't anything to get excited about. Still had 3.86 Big Ten wins per season. Gutekunst had nearly the same number of Big Ten wins per season, 3.17, counting ties as half a win, as there were 2 Big Ten ties during his time here. The difference? Stoll had Gutekunst played stronger non-conference schedules.

Don't forget Holtz with 3.5 Big Ten wins per season.

Stinking hoax also played a 9 game Big Ten schedule in 1984...so he had an extra half game a season. In basically two years, he had a 7win, 10 loss Big Ten Record. His winning percentage was .41 in Big Ten play. Could he have maintained that for 10 years????? Stoll followed Murray and had his own on campus stadium to play in. The Gophers had won a Big Ten chapionship as recently as 1967. The Conference was truely the Big Two...little 8 back then too. I liked Stoll a lot as a coach! But, the administration fired his butt...That send football DOWN....

Point...counter point...CONTRAST!

; 0 )

In his first 2 seasons, Glen Mason won 3 of 12 games. That's 0.250. He did better than that over his ten years, so your assertion that Holtz would have been unable to maintain a 0.411 winning percentage is questionable at best. Yes, Stoll followed Warmath, what about it? He didn't inherit an awful team, but it wasn't a good team. They had won a conference championship in 1967, yes, but he didn't inherit a championship caliber team. And yes, he had his own stadium, but it was in disrepair. I would have greatly preferred that it have been fixed, but without those repairs, it wasn't an advantage.

You offer no counterpoint.

hoax would have gotten the Gopher Football Program busted SO badly by the NCAA had he stuck around any longer it would have been pathetic. As it was, they nailed the Gophers for some crap that hoax pulled. Does the name luther darville ring a bell with you rodent????? hoax was a damn cheater.

Mason was every bit as good as any coach after Warmath. And, Murray had a good stadium on campus to play in and during his best year didn't have the damn vikings to contend with.

Since the mid 1970's Mason was the BEST Gopher Coach. Freaking hoax got in trouble with the NCAA. You have got to blast that sucker for his cheating ways. And, when he bagged tail in the dead of night to go to South Bend, it KILLED any and all boost the Gophers had gotten from the hoax line of b.s. and hype with the band-wagon-jumping casual fans.

IF you recall, the stinking vikings were going with les steckle as their coach at the time hoax was conning the band-wagon-casual fans. hoax was a flim flan confidence man. He did more to destroy Gopher Football when he bagged than any individuals UNTIL the brewball era that was set up by prexy b and badger joel macturi.

hoax is an enemy of the Golden Gopher Football Program. He cheated, bagged for south bend and then the NCAA came down on the football program after he was gone. He was the jerk who just kept on hurting the Gopher Football Program even after he had bagged for Notre Dame. Just remember the name: Luther Darville...
; 0 (

Out out, brief candle
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I had to memorize that when my class read Macbeth. Lol.

For the record - Glen Mason's record at Minnesota:

Big Ten record at MN: 32-48
Upper Division finishes: 3
Lower Division finishes: 7
Seasons over .500: 2
Seasons under .500: 6
Highest Finish: tie for 4th (twice)

And let me tell you, my friend, it will be LIGHT years before we get back up to that level again. We are so far below this right now, we may never get there. We have reached the point where being somewhere close to .500 at season's end, is truly a pipe dream.

And let me tell you, my friend, it will be LIGHT years before we get back up to that level again. We are so far below this right now, we may never get there. We have reached the point where being somewhere close to .500 at season's end, is truly a pipe dream.

Nonsense. It's a bad first year with a new coach and new system following a bad year with the previous coach. Even Brewster put together a couple mediocre seasons after the 1-11 2007 season.

This *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing bullspit defeatist attitude of so many Gopher fans makes me sick to my stomach. Take it elsewhere with this pathetic nonsense.

I'd like some insider detail on what really happened in late 2006.

1. Who made the call on firing Glen Mason, Maturi or Prexy B?.

Bruininks called Maturi right after the game and told him to make it happen. See below.

2. Did they decide to fire him when the team was 3-6, then found the wins over Mich. St. Indiana, and Iowa to be an obstacle the the plan?

I don't think they "wanted" to fire him. They had just extended his contract.

3. Did Glen Mason really do something extreme in Tempe to inflame "prexy B" and maturi before the game itself?

I have been told by a parent of a then player that one of the senior VP's from TCF was on the plane with the team, and Maturi and Bruininks introduced him to Mason, and Mason basically said "yeah, whatever - can't you see we have a football game to prepare for? Why don't you go back to your seat and let us do our job?". This was right after TCF announced the deal to be the title sponser of TCF Bank Stadium. The VP was obviously pretty insulted and Maturi and Bruininks were FUMING. Then Mason apparently said something to the guy again once they were in AZ (not sure if at the pep rally or what). At that point Bruininks basically told Maturi if ANYTHING happened that would allow them to fire Mason, that they were going to do it to help smooth the relationship.

3. Had Minnesota just hung tough and lost to Texas Tech with a score like 31-20 without ever leading the game, would they have been able to fire Glen Mason?

Hard to say. After the issue with TCF, they REALLY wanted to fire him, but that type of loss would be harder to explain. They didn't want to air their dirty laundry, but they may have had to say he was fired for insulting a major sponsor rather than for losing the game.

I was at the game in 2006, but did not arrrive unit right before pre-game so I did not witness any of the alleged conflict at the booster event.

I think the debacle of the Mason contract countdown leading up the UVA game in Nashville was a sure sign Maturi was in way over his head.

The previous AD and Tom Moe never would have conducted business the way our leadership did in 2004-2006. The current mess reflects the lack of leadership and smarts since the powers that be scapegoated Mark Dienhardt out of the U of M.

I'm not sure what the previous AD and Tom Moe would have done, but Mason put Maturi and Bruininks in a tough situation. What should they have done - let Mason keep insulting TCF until they found a way to pull out of the stadium?

What are your sources? What the hey is your credibility? Mason and Mr. Cooper the BIG MAN at TCF Bank got along quite well. In fact, they had put together the Naming Rights proposal after a round of golf.

Sorry lakeville: we will need to have a credible confirmation of your sources and your allegations.

But, since we all know prexy b called for a hit on Mason with NO stinking credible replacement for Mason in hand, the DESTRUCTION of the U of M Football Program rests on the head of that incompetent, impuslive and reactive prexy b. HE is totally responsible. And badger joel macturi MUST be woodshedded and publically humiliated at a game in TCF BANK Stadium sometime during this 2011 season because he is such a lap-dog and yes man. prexy b and bjm DESTROYED Gopher Football. Just the fact that the incompetent bjm fired Mason without at LEAST an established, 2 million dollar football coach to replace him IN HAND, displays the haphazzard and reckless style of mismanagement employed by the incompetent prexy b and bjm. That they then paid OVER 2 million a year for a new hoops coach after going with a football coach with NO experience and NO name recognition and NO clue about coaching a Big Ten football program was an inexcusable act of stupidity.

The launching of TCF BANK STADIUM has been a TOTAL and complete failure and it goes on prexy b and badger joel macturi. The stadium does NOT sell out. The student section is less than half sold out in just the 3rd season in the stadium. There have been a total of 3
Big Ten games won in the stadium in 2 full seasons. The odds are only too strong that there will still be only 3 Big Ten wins in the stadium in three full seasons. It is also true that in only the 3rd season there will be entirely too much red in the stadium for the Nebraska and wisky games...and most likely entirely too much black for the iowa game.

prexy b and badger joel macturi should NEVER show their faces in that stadium again. They spent MILLIONS & MILLIONS in extra buy out money just because they NEEDED Mason to get the TCF DEAL done and eventually when prexy b wasn't SMART enough to have an acceptable, credible coach READY, WAITING TO GO before he fired his existing coach. And an idiot like that was running the U of M for as long as he did? Ditch bjm now. The MORAL HAZZARD is totally connected to prexy b. He threw around money just to satisfy his own impulsive bad moves and he let his rae control his actions. He was just another over-paid, power-hungry ceo type. Someone should invesigate a LOT of things that happened at the U of M on his watch...

And, lakeville: I want to see your sources. Names, addresses and phone numbers.

; 0 )

Since when does a school have a coach "in hand" when they fire their current coach?

They usually have a "short-list" of coaches they KNOW would be willing to accept the job, UNLESS there is a scandal that is uncovered and immediate action needs to be taken, there is an unexpected resignation, illness or death, OR the administration is totally incompetent and impulsive, rodent.

AND: not to answer for Rob...BUT wild-a$$ed keyboard unregistered one: It takes a LOT of time to travel ALL the distance that the football program has to go before it even comes close to the level it was at during the Mason Era. It will take a hell of a long time...and there is entirely too much distance to cover. Any way you want to look at it...this football program is in a WORLD of hurt. Thank you prexy b and badger joel macturi...

It's even tougher to make up time and distance with Nebraska in the Conference. A lot you you people do NOT have a clue how tough this is going to be and how long it is going to take.

; 0 (

They usually have a "short-list" of coaches they KNOW would be willing to accept the job, UNLESS there is a scandal that is uncovered and immediate action needs to be taken, there is an unexpected resignation, illness or death, OR the administration is totally incompetent and impulsive, rodent.

AND: not to answer for Rob...BUT wild-a$$ed keyboard unregistered one: It takes a LOT of time to travel ALL the distance that the football program has to go before it even comes close to the level it was at during the Mason Era. It will take a hell of a long time...and there is entirely too much distance to cover. Any way you want to look at it...this football program is in a WORLD of hurt. Thank you prexy b and badger joel macturi...

It's even tougher to make up time and distance with Nebraska in the Conference. A lot you you people do NOT have a clue how tough this is going to be and how long it is going to take.

; 0 (
I highly doubt schools actually have a list of coaches they know will take the job when they fire the current coach, especially at schools like Minnesota.

Doubt it all you wish. However, any AD worth his salt KNOWS the territory and always HAS a "short list..."

badger joel macturi just comes up short when dealing with revenue sports.

; 0 )

I also love how if anyone says anything negative about Saint Glen, Wren says "I need to see sources" but everytime he gets out his knee pads and textually fellates Mason, including quite often recounting stories that have never been published anywhere, we're all supposed to just believe it because he says it is so.

Have a little class dopodoll. Watch your language dude or dudette...which ever your case may be. Your use of this kind of crap:

"...but everytime he gets out his knee pads and textually fellates Mason..."

Really sucks dopodol. There is NO place for you to do your nasty little deeds on a board like this. Consider yourself punished. Now, run back into the play ground and wash those filthy little hands of yours.

; 0 )

Have a little class dopodoll. Watch your language dude or dudette...which ever your case may be.

; 0 )

Right back atcha. You swear in your posts as much or more than any other poster here.

You are dismissed dopodoll...

Is a "damn" here and a "hell" there REALLY swearing? Ok, if it bothers you, I will find other excellent contrasting terms that won't upset you and your sense of morality so much dopodoll. At any rate: I am through talking with you. Good bye dopodoll. No matter what you say...names you may call me...things you may attempt to infer...I will contrast others . Perhaps there may be some things that may positively impact your life that I will be contrasting to others thoughts. Be sure to read EVERYTHING I write. You may go away now little dude or dudette. I am through with you and your type...

; 0 )

You are dismissed dopodoll...

Is a "damn" here and a "hell" there REALLY swearing? Ok, if it bothers you, I will find other excellent contrasting terms that won't upset you and your sense of morality so much dopodoll.

What the hell are you jibbering about? You're the one that complained about "language", not me.

I am through with you and your type...

I asked you to do this before, and you didn't. Please tell me exactly what my "type" is.

You're not senile like wren, I think that's what he means.

I see that it is MEA week and .....

.... the kids are out and calling each other names. I am always amazed how wren can create such meaningless and endless discussions with his obsessions. If we all would just light a candle for Saint Glen maybe the skies would part and Glen would be the new athletic director. Yea you betcha.

.... the kids are out and calling each other names. I am always amazed how wren can create such meaningless and endless discussions with his obsessions. If we all would just light a candle for Saint Glen maybe the skies would part and Glen would be the new athletic director. Yea you betcha.
I'm in Wisconsin for school, I don't get off for MEA :(

Mason's tenure, and the 25 years before it, are indicative of nothing other than the fact that the Minnesota football team was not very successful.

We can learn from our history, but we are not condemned to repeat it. This BS defeatist attitude being espoused by you and your lunatic friend needs to stop. I, for one, will not stand for it.

Well said.

Top Bottom