Steve Spurrier calls out columnist, won't speak with him there

Here is the story from BleedGopher's link:

Columbia, S.C. -- South Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier had an unprecedented weekly news conference Tuesday, as he called out Ron Morris, a columnist with The State, that he said has reported something that isn't true, and refused to hold the news conference with Morris in the room.

Steve Spurrier reacts on the sidelines during the third quarter against the Vanderbilt Commodores at Williams Brice Stadium.
CAPTIONBy Jeremy Brevard, US PresswireSpurrier always meets with the media at noon on Tuesday before a game. But before this week's announcement started, Spurrier stood in front of reporters and gave his side of the story.

Spurrier said he was upset over a report written last spring about wide receiver Bruce Ellington's decision to join the football team. Ellington was the starting point guard for the basketball team last year.

Here is what Spurrier said.

"This has been weighing on my, on my chest, and I'm getting it off my chest right here today," Spurrier began.

"As all of you know we've got a negative guy over here that tries to hurt our football program. He's got a right to do that. The criticism he shows me is okay. I don't mind that."

"I just don't like stories that aren't true, and last spring he wrote a story about me recruiting Bruce Ellington, and luring him away from the basketball program, and raiding and jilting Coach [Darrin] Horn. A completely fabricated story, and I took exception to that, but that's the only thing I take exception from a sportswriters..when they write stuff that isn't true."

"I didn't talk to Bruce Ellington until after he had met with coach Horn and he came over here. Completely untrue story."

"In 26 years as a head coach, I've had have two guys that didn't write the truth that I had to disassociate with. He's one of them over here. (Pointing to Morris). Another one was...at Florida in 94, so in 26 years I've had two guys. And then I've learned that since he sits in on all these meetings it's basically...I'm helping him to contribute writing negative stuff about our football program, simple as that."

"So I'm not gonna talk when he's in here. That's my right as a head coach. I don't have to talk to him, and I don't have to talk to him when he's in here so what we're going to do. All you tv guys I'm gonna do a personal interview with you in this other room and the writers that are still left in here I'll come back and talk to you right after that."

We'll do individual interviews with all you tv guys...ok? everybody for that?"

Spurrier then left the room.

News19 has asked Ron Morris and the State for comment and have not yet heard back.

man, i wish a gopher coach (be it tubby, kill, lucia, etc.) would do this to fat pat reusse, jim souhan, dan barreiro, randy shaver or tom powers. guys that purposefully and routinely try to be negative towards and hurt the U of M athletic programs and tell fabricated b.s. stories. it would be wonderful to see.

here is a video of the press conference. if anyone knows how to embed the video directly into a post can you please tell me how that is done?

http://bcove.me/eoq6joy1

man, i wish a gopher coach (be it tubby, kill, lucia, etc.) would do this to fat pat reusse, jim souhan, randy shaver or tom powers. all guys that try to be negative towards and hurt U of M athletic programs. it would be wonderful to see.
First off, he's Steve Effing Spurrier. He's got cred and pull down there that isn't held by any coach here. So he'll probably be able to pull something like this. A Gopher coach couldn't get away with it. Also, he's doing it not because of the negativity but b/c he accused the guy of lying. And even then, it took until MONTHS later for him to hit his limit (which suggests something else happened). So assuming the accusation is true, all the MN columnists better step up their games with the falsehoods IN PRINT (where the general public can easily see it...I know some folks are going to point to some Pat radio comments on this one) before you start wishing for this.

Also, this kind of thing would only play well with the GHole crowd. Your average Minnesotan isn't going to look too kindly on this tactic I bet.

I'm a MAN... I'm 40!

Why did that just pop in into my head?

Poor old Steve

How would Spurrier's act come off at Minnesota? People think Mason was smug? Amatuer compared to Coach Spurrier.

Surely, after 26 years, Spurrier isn't this thin-skinned. He waited months before he decided to get this "off his chest". I think he knew exactly what he was doing. Make a spectacle knowing that this will be headline grabbing. Why would he do that? Well, maybe old Coach Spurrier doesn't want the media to focus on Stephen Garcia and his dismissal from the team.

As far as wanting a coach to call out our local media, it's just not wise. Part of being a head coach at a major university is that you know going into it that there will be media types that will not write the articles the way the head coach wants it. Be an ambassador for your program, but leave the personal attacks out of the equation.

Top Bottom