Same Group As Last Year???

dbush

Reaction score
I am really confused when people and media members claim that this is the nearly the same team as last year. HELLO, we lost a 4 year starting QB, our starting RB, and a few members of our OL just to start.

Not to mention that our starting QB had been playing WR for the last 2 years!!! Give the coaches a break. They are trying to implement a new system, and these kids (especially on offense have had how many new offensive coordinators over the pas few years, i believe 5 if they are seniors).

Our best players are Freshman, and true freshman at that, so what does that tell you about what Kill and company have to work with, (by the way those freshman are Kills Recruits!). We all knew we were going to be BAD, obviously we didn't think this BAD, but give it time and things will come around.

It's really not that far off, in my opinion...

We lost Gray...
Our RBs are pretty much exactly what they were last season. We lost Eskridge, but I don't think many of us thought there was much of a difference between Eskridge and Bennett (and most of us like Kirkwood better than either of them).
We returned our best WR (best player on the team LAST year)
A good TE (Whether he is the starting TE or not, he was our best TE last season and played the most).
We returned 3/5 OL starters from the Ill game, and Ed Olson, and added Tommy Olson (our best OL).

-We also returned GRay. I don't know where you want to put him, but he is an experienced playmaker.

Defensively....
we returned 3/4 DL and every single DL backup and added a couple guys
We returned all of our LBs
We returned 2/4 DBs. We also brought back Kim Royston (who probably would have started last year).

I agree, they've fallen apart and injuries and playing younger guys has taken over. However, that wasn't the case for the NMSU/Miami/NDSU games. I'm not blaming Kill, but for some reason Horton was able to get more out of the Brew recruits. MY guess, that is completely outside of Kill's control. I Think the culture shock that occurred between Brew and Horton was mild, it was pretty much the same guys. Where as I think the culture shock between KIll and last year has been severe for a lot of these guys.

They won two games with Horton. It's not like they competed for the B1G title with him as coach. Why is everyone forgetting they only won three games total last season. There is a reason they only won three games, they weren't/aren't very good. I still love this program, will continue to love this program, and I will continue showing up every Saturday but the fact is they aren't a very good football team. I do think the future is pretty bright and that there is some young talent who are starting to learn the hard way but right here, right now they stink and they stunk last year as well.

Bob I do agree that Kill has been a major culture shock to a lot of the upper classmen.

Top Bottom