I was shocked to read this quote

diefirma

Reaction score
There was an amazing quote in yesterday's Pioneer Press that made me want to tear my hair out.

http://www.twincities.com/gophersfootball/ci_19073287

Purdue's Ricardo Allen had a 37-yard interception return for a touchdown off Gray on his first drive. Allen read Gray's eyes when he tried to force a throw to his go-to receiver, Da'Jon McKnight, on the sideline. Two plays earlier, Gray had connected with McKnight for a 14-yard gain.

"We had been stressing all week that the corner had good speed breaking on the ball," said Gray, who completed 8 of 20 passes for 104 yards and no touchdowns. "Unfortunately, I just held on to the ball too long."

WHY DID YOU THROW THE DAMN BALL!!!!

The coaches stress this all week and yet, Gray throws the ball for a pick! Multiply this by seven (I think seven freshmen started yesterday) and it's no wonder the team is as bad as it is.

I don't want to pick on Gray but at some point you have to internalize what the coaches are telling you. The coaches were spot on but what they were saying didn't sink in.

I have full confidence that by this time next year we will have 22 players on the field who will be able to translate what they're being told into action on the field. That is why they played an incredible 59 guys, 32 of them freshmen or sophomores, on Saturday. Who is listening, who is understanding, who has at least a minimal football I.Q.?

Perhaps he threw it because he is an inexperienced qb rolling to the short side of the field in essentially a one man route on top of the fact he didn't practice much?

I think that quote more or less sums up why a lot of people, including me, do not think Q is qb material. He just does not seem to understand the dynamics and responsibilities of the position and he does not appear to have any comfort at the position. Unfortunately, Max does not appear ready to take over the position right now, so we are stuck with Q at qb. It is my humble opinion that the coaching staff could call a better game plan when Max is in there. They really love to go with the inside option up the middle at least every series and it ALWAYS fails putting us in a bad position. The play calling certainly could be better, IMO.

Wait, you mean a player made a mistake? I'm outraged!

Do you mean the same Shortell who managed 8 first downs 5-6 against Michigans 2nd team) and 0 points in 5 quarters

Shortell is terrible. If he is the future our future is bleak(er).
I think that quote more or less sums up why a lot of people, including me, do not think Q is qb material. He just does not seem to understand the dynamics and responsibilities of the position and he does not appear to have any comfort at the position. Unfortunately, Max does not appear ready to take over the position right now, so we are stuck with Q at qb. It is my humble opinion that the coaching staff could call a better game plan when Max is in there. They really love to go with the inside option up the middle at least every series and it ALWAYS fails putting us in a bad position. The play calling certainly could be better, IMO.

Purdue's d coordinator deserves some credit. He squatted his corner right into our play. Tendancies.

Perhaps he threw it because he is an inexperienced qb rolling to the short side of the field in essentially a one man route on top of the fact he didn't practice much?

THIS.

People makes mistakes. Hindsight gives everyone 20/20 vision and no amount of time is longer than the second after you make a mistake. Sh-t happens.

The o-line isn't going to protect Shortell enough for him to be successfull. The only chance I see this team having in the short term is Gray's ability to improvise and make something out of nothing. That could keep the defenses off guard.

I don't understand why you are Shocked.

1) kids breaks well
2) he threw late

You decided this after he has played less than two full games, but you give Q a break by calling him an inexperienced qb. O.k. I guess.

IMO, Q is like a freshman QB because he hasn't played the position in a LONGGGG time.

Actually he had a guy open 10 yards down the field from Mcknight.

1) kids breaks well
2) he threw late

He is shocked because it appears that the coaches tell Q what to look out for and he just does not get it. It is a problem because it shows that Q has an inability to be "coached up." What is the point of telling him things to look out for during the week of practice if he is just going to throw all that stuff out when he enters the game. I do not think that Q is the only one who has this issue, I believe it is a majority of the upper-classmen. This, to me, explains why we are seeing so many mistakes.

As for Max, I did not say he should be the starter, however Q is definitely not the answer. We need a better qb if we hope to see any success on offense. Granted, our offensive line also needs to improve dramatically. The o line is god awful.

1) kids breaks well
2) he threw late

That's what I saw. Gray was a nanosecond late and on that pattern, a nanosecond is the difference between a first down and a pick six. Allen played it perfectly. Almost like a baited Gray.

Anyone still wondering why Weber started and played last year.

BTW Gray was more than a nanosecond late.

He is shocked because it appears that the coaches tell Q what to look out for and he just does not get it. It is a problem because it shows that Q has an inability to be "coached up." What is the point of telling him things to look out for during the week of practice if he is just going to throw all that stuff out when he enters the game. I do not think that Q is the only one who has this issue, I believe it is a majority of the upper-classmen. This, to me, explains why we are seeing so many mistakes.

Obviously he does "get it" or he wouldn't have made that statement. He made a mistake. He thought he could get it in there before the DB made a break on the ball and he was wrong. That doesn't mean he isn't "coachable" or anything. Maybe he isn't, but that example doesn't prove it.

Do you mean the same Shortell who managed 8 first downs 5-6 against Michigans 2nd team) and 0 points in 5 quarters

Ya, I tell ya what Rosemountain, the way Gray came in and threw that pick six and we got outscored 28 to 0 by Purdue until they put THEIR 2nd and 3rd stringers in, that was awesome! You're right, Gray is way better than Shortell, Shortell can't miss open receivers by 10 feet like Gray can.

Gray must have thought for a split second Kyle Henderson was defending the play. That's the only explanation I can think of as to why he thought he could complete the pass.

You decided this after he has played less than two full games, but you give Q a break by calling him an inexperienced qb. O.k. I guess.
Giving a kid a pass isn't the same thing as saying he is good. On a one to ten scale gray has been like 2.5 and Shortell has been a 1.

All it really says is that the coaches had warned him of the situation and in the heat of the game, while rolling out under pressure, he though he could get it there in time. That is how a player "gains experience". I bet he won't make that throw again.

Calm down.

As for Max, I did not say he should be the starter, however Q is definitely not the answer. We need a better qb if we hope to see any success on offense. Granted, our offensive line also needs to improve dramatically. The o line is god awful.

Obviously that is because the O-line is incapable of being "coached up". I mean, why teach them technique and scheme if they are just going to throw that out the window as soon as the whistle blows?

Top Bottom