The Bank WILL Host Soccer if ChiTown Gets '16 Olympics

I've heard it would.

Booo! We shouldn't expand until we have consistent demand for that many seats. If we expand early it will be just like the dome was for rivalry games. 30k of their fans. :mad:

Booo! We shouldn't expand until we have consistent demand for that many seats. If we expand early it will be just like the dome was for rivalry games. 30k of their fans. :mad:

Depends on your definition of early. 2016 will be the EIGHTH year of the stadium's existence. I think many are hoping that eight years into the facility we might have built a football program that could stand an expansion of 10,000 seats or so.

can TCF be expanded in 10K increments?

Depends on your definition of early. 2016 will be the EIGHTH year of the stadium's existence. I think many are hoping that eight years into the facility we might have built a football program that could stand an expansion of 10,000 seats or so.

I'm not sure the expansion can work like that. I realize now that I never asked Phil Esten that, but i think the expansion is 30K or nothing because the upper deck is meant to be seamless. I admit ahead of time that I could be way off here though...maybe someone who has seen. the expansion models can chip in their thoughts?

I agree that expansion should be made when we are able to SUSTAIN the new attendance. Not after 1 great year or because of outside factors like the Olympics.

I'm not sure the expansion can work like that. I realize now that I never asked Phil Esten that, but i think the expansion is 30K or nothing because the upper deck is meant to be seamless. I admit ahead of time that I could be way off here though...maybe someone who has seen. the expansion models can chip in their thoughts?

I agree that expansion should be made when we are able to SUSTAIN the new attendance. Not after 1 great year or because of outside factors like the Olympics.

There were earlier threads from (16 ft under?) someone who had knowledge or access to the designs who said the expansion(s) would or could be in 10,000 increments...

I'm too lazy to go back to find them, but they are there....

I think the expansion is 30K or nothing.

No. They can add 10,000 seats if they want. In fact, that's the plan. They would in almost no circumstance add all 30K seats in the first expansion.

I understand what the plan is for expanding the stadium, but does anyone know of pictures or sketches of the (future) expanded stadium? Pictures are so much nicer than just talking about it, you know?

I'm not sure I understand why they would need to expand solely for Olympic Soccer. The preliminary games have never been that popular, and they'd already have the Rose Bowl for games with an unusually large expected turnout (e.g. the medal games).

Expansion Plan

"They can add 10,000 seats if they want. In fact, that's the plan. They would in almost no circumstance add all 30K seats in the first expansion."

TJ--What's your source for this information? Not trying to call you out (and I hope that you are correct), but I took a tour of TCF and asked this precise question and was told just the opposite. While they could theoretically add the seats incrementally, I was told that most likely it would be done all at once, if ever, to save the duplicate expenses of adding on in stages.

I'm not sure I understand why they would need to expand solely for Olympic Soccer. The preliminary games have never been that popular, and they'd already have the Rose Bowl for games with an unusually large expected turnout (e.g. the medal games).

I'm not following you. The Rose Bowl? Are they planning on hosting things in LA for the Chicago Olympics?

I'm not following you. The Rose Bowl? Are they planning on hosting things in LA for the Chicago Olympics?

From the link: "Chicago's plan proposes that preliminary rounds of the Olympic soccer tournament be held at the new Gophers football stadium, set to open this fall, as well as at the Rose Bowl, in Pasadena, Calif.; the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J.; and stadiums in St. Louis, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C."

I don't think they'd hold the medal games for a Chicago Olympics in LA. :) The medal games would be held at Soldier Field (I'm betting) as it has successfully hosted exhibition matches for Man U, Bayern Munich, etc. I agree with you though that they probably wouldn't have to expand for a prelim match.

TJ/Maverick~
Thanks! I appreciate the response. I'm wondering if what 2nd Degree was told wouldn't hold true though. Adding 10K at a time could result in some extra costs that might not make sense.

Mostly I'm just hoping that we need the additional capacity and this adds the impetus to get 'er done. the one extra bit of motivation to get some action.

I don't think they'd hold the medal games for a Chicago Olympics in LA. :) The medal games would be held at Soldier Field (I'm betting) as it has successfully hosted exhibition matches for Man U, Bayern Munich, etc.

You're probably right that they wouldn't hold them in LA, I was just using the medal games as an example of a match with a high turnout. Perhaps a better example would have been prelim games involving the US teams. However, in 2008 the bronze medal match was held in Shanghai (roughly 800 miles from the host city, Beijing) and the gold medal match had attendance of 90 thousand or so, which the Rose Bowl could hold but I don't think Soldier Field has that capacity.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that it'd be great if there was enough gopher support to do the expansion early and make this discussion moot.

You're probably right that they wouldn't hold them in LA, I was just using the medal games as an example of a match with a high turnout. Perhaps a better example would have been prelim games involving the US teams. However, in 2008 the bronze medal match was held in Shanghai (roughly 800 miles from the host city, Beijing) and the gold medal match had attendance of 90 thousand or so, which the Rose Bowl could hold but I don't think Soldier Field has that capacity.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that it'd be great if there was enough gopher support to do the expansion early and make this discussion moot.

They're going to play Olympic soccer on artificial turf???

Top Bottom