Do you think Maturi realizes what he has done to this football program?

began11

GOPHER11
Reaction score
I honestly think that he is delusional enough to think that he is not responsible for what has happened to this program. He always takes credit for TCF Bank Stadium. I have never understood that one. I agree with Star Trib writer Mark Craig. How do you make that decision to hire Brewster! When Maturi finally does get fired later on this year, I can't imagine how he can stick around this state. I hope he goes down to Naples to hang out with Brew. Go Gophers!

of course he doesn't realize his negative impact, he's surrounded by yes men. he told us himself that his job was on the line with the brewster hire and guess what, he's still around and led the next hire as well but was aided by another yes man, a radio show host, Dave Mona.

Did Miami and Michigan have a radio show host co-leading their coaching search too?

He knows Brewster was a bad hire but he has said that he loved Brewster as a person. He's a terrible AD because he's too nice. He's more worried about friendships with people than running a winning program. Didn't he say that he cried with Brewster when he told him that he had to let him go? I swear I saw him saying that in an interview.

He's a great guy, but he's not the guy to run an athletic program, and that's the bottom line. He's just too nice.

I swear the Brewster hate goes too far. The guy had two typical Mason seasons of 3 Big Ten wins and then fell off a cliff in year four. It's not like the football program was good before Maturi got hired, he just somehow made it worse. Brewster over Pelini, Strong, etc was one of many poor choices made under his leadership. A big boy A.D. may have even greased enough wheels to get the funds to hire Gary Patterson. We could also talk about the fake Brewster extension that inexplicably waited until after a bowl game loss to Iowa State! If you were going to extend him, it should have happened before we started losing recruits due to the uncertainty, to wait and then announce it after that loss showed just how far over his head Badger Joel is.

I believe Joel has been here 9 years now and we have yet to win anything of note in football or basketball and even hockey is down. By any measure, these programs certainly fall under his watch and they all have issues.

Maturi has little mans syndrome. Give him a little power and look out because he thinks he is the almighty and can do no wrong.

I imagine Maturi just lies in bed all night cackling about how his evil genius has just decimated the program.

Sheesh. Mr. Ed is dead. He's uttered his last "WIL-BERRRRRRRRRRRRR!" Can we head out to the corral and get a fresher horse to beat?

I honestly think that the real you may have evolved into brewster's alter ego, eg#9...with just a twist of Mason's -ex wife thrown in just for spite...

; 0 )

I didn't know Maturi has been AD since 1972. That's a long tenure.

I didn't know Maturi has been AD since 1972. That's a long tenure.

I was thinking the same thing, not to excuse Maturi's misdeeds/mistakes, but our entire athletic department has seemed (let me stress seemed) so unstable for a number of years. Paul Giel had the longest tenure of any atheltic director (17 years, 1971-1988), with Maturi's nine years being next. Two years for Rick Bay (1989-1991); three years for McKinley Boston (1992-1995); four years for Mark Dienhart (1995-1999) and three years for Tom Moe (1999-2002). Moe, if I recall, was pretty much a figurehead put in to merge the men's and women's program into one administrative structure (women's athletics had a separate director from 1974 to 2002) and clean up the mess from the academic scandal under Clem Haskins.

But there were some other messes. All the shenanigans under Musselman (which led to the forfeited season). The motel incident involving the basketball team in a Madison motel. Holtz' close personal friend Luther Darville. I frankly don't know if we're any worse than other programs, but, and I hate to invoke a Reusse observation, "it's one thing to cheat, but it's worse when you're really bad at it."

Maturi doesn't have a sterling record, but looking back at the 40 years of ADs that preceded him, it's difficult to find much to smile about post-Marsh Ryman (Giel's predecessor). And I don't know why that is.

A lot of guys have worked hard, but it seems that something bad, either on or off an athletic field, has happened to each one of the ADs. I'll excuse Moe, because he had big work to do and took some hits to get it done, but get it done, he did. I also wonder what would have happened if Rick Bay had stuck around.

Don't forget that Giel was responsible for the horrid decision to move football off-campus.

Don't forget that Giel was responsible for the horrid decision to move football off-campus.

That too.

I think if Giel had a problem is that he was extremely cozy with the boosters and some of those guys were big in the Minneapolis Downtown Council that wanted that dome built. Terrible decision.

That too.

I think if Giel had a problem is that he was extremely cozy with the boosters and some of those guys were big in the Minneapolis Downtown Council that wanted that dome built. Terrible decision.

Giel actually fought those guys, maybe for the first time in his life, and tried to get the funds to remodel Memorial Stadium. Harvey, Sid and the "Big Cigars" rolled right over Giel on that one. When it looked like the remodel wouldn't happen, Giel went along with the Dome. His family really hate the idea that people think that Paul was responsible for the off-campus move.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/56751237.html?source=error

Giel actually fought those guys, maybe for the first time in his life, and tried to get the funds to remodel Memorial Stadium. Harvey, Sid and the "Big Cigars" rolled right over Giel on that one. When it looked like the remodel wouldn't happen, Giel went along with the Dome. His family really hate the idea that people think that Paul was responsible for the off-campus move.

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/56751237.html?source=error

Fair enough. Thank you for posting that.

Thanks for clearing that up Iceland12. I was totally mistaken.

Top Bottom