A Silver Lining

glovedgopher

Sec 210 row 23
Reaction score
All of our epic defeats will hurt Wisconsin's strength of schedule and BCS numbers at the end of the year. I'm hoping that the Badgers finish 3rd right behind Oklahoma by a margin of .0000000000000001. Also, I have officially joined the LSU bandwagon in case they play Wisconsin in the championship. My Vikings jersey can be easily pass as a LSU jersey. I was around 2 Badger fans on Saturday as they hoped for OK and LSU to lose and the small amount of crap I was able to throw their way was the only enjoyment I got out of watching football that day. Geaux Tigers!

As long as Oklahoma and LSU keep winning, there is NO chance becky gets in the title game. butt belimics pathetic non-conference schedule will bite him in the ass big time this year. Go Sooners and Go Tigers.

LSU or Alabama could most likely lose a game and still finish ahead of Wisconsin.

Both LSU and Alabama are awesome teams who would mop up the Big Ten this year.

As a Badger alum who is trying so hard to learn and support Gopher football as my Son is a Freshman at the U, I am amazed at the negative vibe. The Gophers are rebuilding, welcome to Wisconsin circa 1992. We won 9 games in my 4 years there. Why would you hope for a Badger defeat? You should pull for any big ten team to make the big show. I pull for any big ten team in the rose bowl. Is it the mentality that all twin cities teams have sucked for 20 years till the Lynx won 68 hours ago? Let me give you an education on loyalty. The Brewers have sucked for 29 years but we still love them. The Badgers have never won a national title but we love them, The Packers won one super bowl since 69' and 97' but will love them. It will take 3 years for the Gophers to be a threat. Welcome to the non-app, non-internet reality of life. You build a team thru great lines on both sides of the ball. There are no short cuts. Shame on the gophers for letting the "bigs" leave the state. Suck it up, prepare for a good year in 2012 and stick by the coach. The Vikings will again be the Packers fcs team. You have a good coach. Take a deep breath and realize You may be ranked #4, like the Badgers in 19 years. And the Badgers only are there because of R. Wilson. It sucks to be the "U" for now. Get over it, grow up, and give the program some time. Geeeez!

BTW, You also have a great hockey program which doesn't even deserve its own thread here and a solid bball program. whay, whay, whay!

^^ Wrong. I want the popcorn skunks to lose every game.

As a Badger alum who is trying so hard to learn and support Gopher football as my Son is a Freshman at the U, I am amazed at the negative vibe. The Gophers are rebuilding, welcome to Wisconsin circa 1992. We won 9 games in my 4 years there. Why would you hope for a Badger defeat? You should pull for any big ten team to make the big show. I pull for any big ten team in the rose bowl. Is it the mentality that all twin cities teams have sucked for 20 years till the Lynx won 68 hours ago? Let me give you an education on loyalty. The Brewers have sucked for 29 years but we still love them. The Badgers have never won a national title but we love them, The Packers won one super bowl since 69' and 97' but will love them. It will take 3 years for the Gophers to be a threat. Welcome to the non-app, non-internet reality of life. You build a team thru great lines on both sides of the ball. There are no short cuts. Shame on the gophers for letting the "bigs" leave the state. Suck it up, prepare for a good year in 2012 and stick by the coach. The Vikings will again be the Packers fcs team. You have a good coach. Take a deep breath and realize You may be ranked #4, like the Badgers in 19 years. And the Badgers only are there because of R. Wilson. It sucks to be the "U" for now. Get over it, grow up, and give the program some time. Geeeez!

How are you giving me an education in loyalty?

As a Badger alum who is trying so hard to learn and support Gopher football as my Son is a Freshman at the U, I am amazed at the negative vibe. The Gophers are rebuilding, welcome to Wisconsin circa 1992.

Amazed? We just lost to Michigan and Purdue by a combined 103-17. We've been bad for 40 years. I tend to try to be a positive person and know we are rebuilding, but it's totally understandable if Gopher fans are negative right now.

Why would you hope for a Badger defeat? You should pull for any big ten team to make the big show. I pull for any big ten team in the rose bowl.

Good for you. Most fans around the country don't cheer for their biggest rivals. Don't see how the Badgers being successful helps our program.

Is it the mentality that all twin cities teams have sucked for 20 years till the Lynx won 68 hours ago? Let me give you an education on loyalty. The Brewers have sucked for 29 years but we still love them. The Badgers have never won a national title but we love them, The Packers won one super bowl since 69' and 97' but will love them.

Seriously? Loyalty is to continue to follow a Gophers team that has gone 205-263 since 1972. Loyalty is to continue to be a fan of the vikings who have given the state of MN more let downs than any other professional teams ever. And I don't even know why you bring up the Brewers. When they were bad, their attendance was bad just like it would be everywhere else. Just because people are upset and complaining about the program doesn't mean they aren't loyal and don't "love" their team anymore. You're so far off here it's making my brain hurt.

It will take 3 years for the Gophers to be a threat. Welcome to the non-app, non-internet reality of life. You build a team thru great lines on both sides of the ball. There are no short cuts. Shame on the gophers for letting the "bigs" leave the state. Suck it up, prepare for a good year in 2012 and stick by the coach. The Vikings will again be the Packers fcs team. You have a good coach. Take a deep breath and realize You may be ranked #4, like the Badgers in 19 years. And the Badgers only are there because of R. Wilson. It sucks to be the "U" for now. Get over it, grow up, and give the program some time. Geeeez!

I think most people understand that. It still doesn't excuse the way this team has played this year. I'm willing to give Kill the time he needs to rebuild the program. I know it takes time. I know the talent isn't very good. But we're better than we've played so far. It's ok to criticize.

Why would one hope for the Badgers' success? Seriously? It's fine to trash them, oppose them, despise them. But once they get to the big time, their success shines on our conference - and that can help US. Their success shines on college football in the upper midwest - and that can help US. And then, eventually, sometime in the (hopefully) not-too-distant-future, beating them HELPS US EVEN MORE. Do you think Auburn's success, or the success of the SEC generally, helps Alabama? Do you think the fact that Boise St. has been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a conference full of nobodies has hurt their chances at a National Title?

That's why you root for your rivals to be good, and even to succeed, when you're not playing them.

Why would one hope for the Badgers' success? Seriously? It's fine to trash them, oppose them, despise them. But once they get to the big time, their success shines on our conference - and that can help US. Their success shines on college football in the upper midwest - and that can help US. And then, eventually, sometime in the (hopefully) not-too-distant-future, beating them HELPS US EVEN MORE. Do you think Auburn's success, or the success of the SEC generally, helps Alabama? Do you think the fact that Boise St. has been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a conference full of nobodies has hurt their chances at a National Title?

That's why you root for your rivals to be good, and even to succeed, when you're not playing them.

I think the massive amount of football talent in the South is what helps Auburn and Alabama.

Comparing us to Boise is ludicrous. As a non-AQ school, they have to root for their rivals in order to boost their strength of schedule. We have no such dilemma.

Wisky losing every game they ever play in any sport would be a great thing for Minnesota.

Wrong, actually if Wisconsin goes undefeated the media will most likely be talking about how crappy the Big Ten is this year. It is very likely that Wisconsin could go undefeated and be passed over by OK, OK St., LSU and AL because of the Badgers soft schedule. The media will point out how weak the Big Ten was this year and how much better the BIG 12 and SEC are in comparison. Plus Wisconsin's cream puff schedule will be questioned.

"Comparing us to Boise is ludicrous. As a non-AQ school, they have to root for their rivals in order to boost their strength of schedule. We have no such dilemma."

"It is very likely that Wisconsin could go undefeated and be passed over by OK, OK St., LSU and AL because of the Badgers soft schedule."

Sorry, but strength of schedule was the point of the opening post. Strength of schedule either matters, or it doesn't. Choose one.

Try using a school from a BCS conference than and not Boise St. Or try comparing it to to RPI in college bball. I do think Wisconsin (this year at least) has to start cheering heavily for Michigan to stay undefeated. The Ohio St downfall is not helping Wisconsin. The Minnesota football fan base is not even close to worrying about BCS numbers to even think about cheering for our rivals. Also, I don't ever cheer for Wisconsin in basketball because it might help the Gophers get into the dance. Finally, find me a recruit that has ever picked Minnesota because OSU has played in the Championship.

Here's my point. I think that the quality of one's opponents serves us well. Playing in the B1G serves us well. The combination of both gives us a better chance to elevate our program than playing in the WAC or MAC or whatever other mid-major you want. I can imagine a recruiter saying to a kid, "Come to Minnesota, you will get to play early in your career, and you will get to play the best." And eventually, "Come to Minnesota, and because we play in the B1G, we want to beat the *^$*&ing Badgers who are very good, but we want you to help us be better." And finally, "Come to Minnesota where we have a legitimate shot at a national championship because of the respect of our program, and our conference which is filled with excellence." I'm no expert, but that line of argument sounds true to me, and I'm sure that I've seen bits of it echoed in various other comments on this board when referring to how the U can appeal to recruiting targets. So, when that glorious day comes that we beat Bielema and Wisconsin - not unlike the previous few years in Bball - I want it to be when they're very, very good. It will mean that much more to us, and it will tear them down that much more.

kirmlabs do know/work with any Wisconsin fans? Well I do and they don't feel that way towards us. In fact they like to kick a man when he is down and talk about how great Wisconsin is at everything. Funny thing is you live and work in Minnesota and last year you were wearing a Twins cap is often something I have to point out.

Here's my point. I think that the quality of one's opponents serves us well. Playing in the B1G serves us well. The combination of both gives us a better chance to elevate our program than playing in the WAC or MAC or whatever other mid-major you want. I can imagine a recruiter saying to a kid, "Come to Minnesota, you will get to play early in your career, and you will get to play the best." And eventually, "Come to Minnesota, and because we play in the B1G, we want to beat the *^$*&ing Badgers who are very good, but we want you to help us be better." And finally, "Come to Minnesota where we have a legitimate shot at a national championship because of the respect of our program, and our conference which is filled with excellence." I'm no expert, but that line of argument sounds true to me, and I'm sure that I've seen bits of it echoed in various other comments on this board when referring to how the U can appeal to recruiting targets. So, when that glorious day comes that we beat Bielema and Wisconsin - not unlike the previous few years in Bball - I want it to be when they're very, very good. It will mean that much more to us, and it will tear them down that much more.

1. The B1G Ten is still one of the top conferences in the country and will be for a long time. Yes, the conference is down this year but it's still better than most others. Whether Wisconsin is 5-0 or 0-5 right now isn't going to change the perception (good or bad) of the conference that much.

2. "Come to Minnesota, and because we play in the B1G, we want to beat the *^$*&ing Badgers who are very good, but we want you to help us be better." And then that same kid gets a scholarship offer from Wisconsin. Why would a recruit come to MN when even their coaches are telling recruits how good Wisconsin is? You sell your school, the conference you play in and even the rivalries, but you don't sell the opposing schools, especially your rival.

3. Either way, if you feel those things help us in some way, then you have to admit it hurts us in ways as well. Their success makes it harder for us to recruit WI and easier for them to recruit MN.

Being that it's pretty much a wash, I think I'd much rather cheer against a school I genuinely despise.

"Comparing us to Boise is ludicrous. As a non-AQ school, they have to root for their rivals in order to boost their strength of schedule. We have no such dilemma."

"It is very likely that Wisconsin could go undefeated and be passed over by OK, OK St., LSU and AL because of the Badgers soft schedule."

Sorry, but strength of schedule was the point of the opening post. Strength of schedule either matters, or it doesn't. Choose one.

In the Big Ten, it doesn't. As GophersInIowa said, "The B1G Ten is still one of the top conferences in the country and will be for a long time." In the WAC, SOS absolutely matters.

If Wisky were to go undefeated and miss out on the national title game, it won't be because how weak the Big Ten is this year. It will be because LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma were all perceived to be stronger teams in the preseason rankings, and did nothing to suggest that was inaccurate over the course of the season. As long as those three teams keep winning, it makes absolutely no difference what Wisky (or their opposition) does.

In the Big Ten, it doesn't. As GophersInIowa said, "The B1G Ten is still one of the top conferences in the country and will be for a long time." In the WAC, SOS absolutely matters.

If Wisky were to go undefeated and miss out on the national title game, it won't be because how weak the Big Ten is this year. It will be because LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma were all perceived to be stronger teams in the preseason rankings, and did nothing to suggest that was inaccurate over the course of the season. As long as those three teams keep winning, it makes absolutely no difference what Wisky (or their opposition) does.

I don't agree with this Jike. Wisconsin has already jumped ahead of three teams in Boise, Standford and Oklahoma St that were rated ahead on them before the season started. At the same time LSU has jumped ahead of Bama and Oklahoma. Why do you think this has happened? Wisconsin's jump was because they destroyed a team in Nebraska that people believed to be a top ten team. If there were a few more top tier teams in the Big Ten, Wisconsin would have a much better chance of impressing the voters and the computers.

If there were a few more top tier teams in the Big Ten, Wisconsin would have a much better chance of impressing the voters and the computers.

While true, they still can't get past Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma if those teams keep winning.

I think both sides have a point here. Being a born and raised Gopher fan and a Wisconsin alumnus, I hate Iowa twice as much as everyone on this board. That said, I will always root for them in a bowl game, especially against the SEC. The possible exception is if it were for the national title. I don't think I could support them in this case because of what a difference maker it could be for their program and the fact that the bragging would be unbearable.

As an aside, I think not only is it in our interest to root against the SEC, but it is strongly in our interest to maintain the bowl system. I fear that the football gap that's been developing over the last ten years between the B10 and SEC could mirror what's happened in college baseball. If we ever went to a pure playoff it would be even more transparently demonstrated. The only thing we have in our favor is markets and tradition, which would no doubt blunt the impact, but it is in all of our interest to root for the B10 against the SEC, even I it means supporting a rival.

While true, they still can't get past Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma if those teams keep winning.

Agree not gonna happen this year with the strength of the SEC. However, I guess my point is just because you are part of a top BCS conference it doesn't guarantee a spot in the BCS Championship if you run the table. Just ask the 2004 Auburn team. So yes strength of schedule does matter.

It will also be because Wisky didn't play anyone with a pulse in the non-con compared to LSU (who played both Oregon and @WVU), Bama (who played @PSU), and Oklahoma (@FSU, a win which is looking crappier now).

I don't agree with this Jike. Wisconsin has already jumped ahead of three teams in Boise, Standford and Oklahoma St that were rated ahead on them before the season started. At the same time LSU has jumped ahead of Bama and Oklahoma. Why do you think this has happened? Wisconsin's jump was because they destroyed a team in Nebraska that people believed to be a top ten team. If there were a few more top tier teams in the Big Ten, Wisconsin would have a much better chance of impressing the voters and the computers.
Or they could play more top teams in the non-con. It's not all about the B1G schedule, though that is certainly the biggest part of it.

LSU and Alabama play each other, the winner of that game will be in the BCS Championship if they win out. If Oklahoma wins out I see no reason they aren't in the BCS championship.

To make sure that the Badgers don't play in the National Title game, let's hope for a Wacker-esque upset. His kept the Badgers from being the only unbeaten team in the early 90's, albeit with a tie.

Also, to those suggesting it would be beneficial to root for our rivals, find me one Alabama fan that was rooting for Auburn last year. Pretty sure there isn't one and I will never root for WI, I already get enough trash talk thrown my way from friends that went to Madison.

Also, to those suggesting it would be beneficial to root for our rivals, find me one Alabama fan that was rooting for Auburn last year. Pretty sure there isn't one and I will never root for WI, I already get enough trash talk thrown my way from friends that went to Madison.

I guarantee you there were Bama fans cheering for Auburn in the National Championship game. Definitely not the regular season, but SEC fans are crazy about supporting their conference in the post season.

As for the SOS argument, I give a lot of credit to LSU for playing Oregon, and to a much lesser extent WVU. And Bama deserves some credit for scheduling PSU. However, to suggest that UW's non-con schedule is that much worse than the majority of the big time programs in BCS conferences is wrong. Oregon State is a crappy team this year, but it's not like they were scheduled last year. The majority of BCS teams (not in the Big East) follow UW's non-con pattern of scheduling 1 other BCS game, two MAC type teams, and a 1AA.

I guarantee you there were Bama fans cheering for Auburn in the National Championship game. Definitely not the regular season, but SEC fans are crazy about supporting their conference in the post season.

As for the SOS argument, I give a lot of credit to LSU for playing Oregon, and to a much lesser extent WVU. And Bama deserves some credit for scheduling PSU. However, to suggest that UW's non-con schedule is that much worse than the majority of the big time programs in BCS conferences is wrong. Oregon State is a crappy team this year, but it's not like they were scheduled last year. The majority of BCS teams (not in the Big East) follow UW's non-con pattern of scheduling 1 other BCS game, two MAC type teams, and a 1AA.

There definitely were Alabama fans cheering for Auburn in the NC game. It's also a "state pride" thing for Alabama. I remember reading when Alabama played Florida in the SECCG, that a bunch of Alabama fans and Auburn fans were appalled that other Auburn fans were chearing for Florida. It seems like with those schools, it's a fierce rivalry between the two of them, but a lot of fans would rather have the other team win the SEC if they can't, to "keep it in Alabama".

It's probably similar to how I knew a lot of Gopher hockey fans cheering for UMD in the championship (not exactly the same because UMD isn't our archrival).

Whether or not WI's non-conference schedule is that much worse than other BCS schools is irrelevant (IMO). What matters is when you rank them against the other teams contending for a National Championship. I think a Big 10 this year already has to make up the difference from their SOS from conference play, so when they have an easier non-conference, it's tough. It's not quite Boise St-ish....but it's certainly a downgrade.

On a side note...I do give Wisconsin credit for playing Oregon St. I know that it turned out to be a dud with how bad Oregon St is, but I doubt Oregon St looked like a cakewalk when they were scheduled (i'd guess). They were a pretty good team for a three year stretch when I assume this was finalized, they were about at WI's level then. They have tanked, but WI tried to schedule a tough game.

MNBadgerGuy said:
As for the SOS argument, I give a lot of credit to LSU for playing Oregon, and to a much lesser extent WVU. And Bama deserves some credit for scheduling PSU.

Ironically UW has played home and home with both Oregon and WVU in the last ten years, going 3-1 with a close loss at Autzen. Just played them in the wrong years. UW probably would never schedule both in the same year however.

Top Bottom