Kill really wants to run guys out of the program

Stan

Reaction score
Kill must have mentioned 4-5 times how some guys will weed themselves out of the program. He went out of his way to bring this up on the Sports Huddle today.

Fine by me. The quicker we turn this roster over the better.

He mentioned Alvarez cleaning house in last Tuesday's press conference too. I'm sure he has a list of guys he is willing to help explore other options.

It probably isn't fun for anyone, especially those who signed with Brewster. Kill is old school and some of these guys signed thinking they were going to play for a guy who pumped his tremendous players up because they were gamers who weren't afraid to pound the rock on their way to playing on the Pasadena grass. I imagine some are real sour, especially with the losses. I expect there will be a lot of departures, although not too many juniors or left from that class. Maybe some redshirt freshman and sophomores bolt. My money is on there being some with their bags packed before they take their last final before semester break.

Schollies

I keep hearing this over and over about running off many current players, and that Alvarez did this, etc. Just what would this look like? Kill claims to be very short many areas (small junior/senior classes left on the roster, APR issues, etc). How do run off 20 or more guys, - then what? Is he going to sign a class of 40 next year? Just how many Freshman are realistic? He stock-piles schollies while we continue to play lean with no depth? Even if he could sign 40+ and turn-over the roster, we don't have that many quality D1 prospects interested in coming. Does he promise immediate playing time (but who really wants that on a really bad team)?

He mentioned Alvarez cleaning house in last Tuesday's press conference too. I'm sure he has a list of guys he is willing to help explore other options.

I believe long-term coach Kill will be successful at the U.....but he is certainly not old school.

It probably isn't fun for anyone, especially those who signed with Brewster. Kill is old school and some of these guys signed thinking they were going to play for a guy who pumped his tremendous players up because they were gamers who weren't afraid to pound the rock on their way to playing on the Pasadena grass. I imagine some are real sour, especially with the losses. I expect there will be a lot of departures, although not too many juniors or left from that class. Maybe some redshirt freshman and sophomores bolt. My money is on there being some with their bags packed before they take their last final before semester break.

I believe coach Kill will be successful at the U but he certainly is not old school.

I keep hearing this over and over about running off many current players, and that Alvarez did this, etc. Just what would this look like? Kill claims to be very short many areas (small junior/senior classes left on the roster, APR issues, etc). How do run off 20 or more guys, - then what? Is he going to sign a class of 40 next year? Just how many Freshman are realistic? He stock-piles schollies while we continue to play lean with no depth? Even if he could sign 40+ and turn-over the roster, we don't have that many quality D1 prospects interested in coming. Does he promise immediate playing time (but who really wants that on a really bad team)?

No, he wouldn't be signing 40+. The limit in the B1G is 25 a year. So, I'd expect him to fill the 25 spots with some JUCO players to help balance the classes. Also, he never said he would run off 20+ guys. We couldn't do that. We would have even less depth. Expect no more than 10 to leave the program.

The more the merrier. Having the players that don't want to be here leave is a good thing. Sure it may take away some talented, experienced players but there are more positives that come from this. Kill will be able to bring in players that work well in his system, that want to be here, and will bring a better attitude.

I also don't see 20 players leaving the program. I think it will be between 5-10. We could definately use some JUCO players to fill numerous holes.

Not many JuCo players have done anything in recent years.

The current roster has 64 recruited scholarship players listed that are not seniors this season (2011). If all were to remain for next season they would be as follows: Seniors - 11, Juniors - 17, Sophomores - 24 (15 - 2010 recruits & 9 - 2011 recruits), Redshirted Freshman - 12 (2011 recruits). The 64 number could be larger if scholarships have been awared to walkons that are not included. Each BSC conference squad is limited to 85 scholarship players. If the number 64 is correct, the Gophers will have 21 open slots for 2012 recruits. The maximun number per year that can be signed is 25 provided this keeps the team within the 85 maximum. A school can also assign upto 3 scholarships to the previous years class if the players enrolled for second semester and the previous year was not a full class of 25. I do believe that last year's class had 25 signees with 1 transfer, 1 JC transfer & 1 freshman enrolling for 2nd semester in January 2011. These would be assigned to the 2010 class as there was room in the 25 number limit. This would mean if correct, for 2012 they could sign 28 players and assign 3 to 2011 if they enroll in school for 2nd semester in January 2012. The remaining 25 would be the limit for the 2012 class enrolling in the fall of 2012. In order to sign 28 recruits for 2012, at least 7 scholarship player currently on the squad would need to leave the program. If there are currently more than 64 juniors, sophomores & freshman on the roster then more would need to leave. If the coaching staff would also like to award a scholarship to walkons who have performed well enough to earn one, additional players would have to decide to leave. I agree that there maybe from 5 to 10 players leaving the squad. Some of these are players not playing and if they want to play they transfer to division 1 or 2. There always seems to be some attrition for various reason.

The current roster has 64 recruited scholarship players listed that are not seniors this season (2011). If all were to remain for next season they would be as follows: Seniors - 11, Juniors - 17, Sophomores - 24 (15 - 2010 recruits & 9 - 2011 recruits), Redshirted Freshman - 12 (2011 recruits). The 64 number could be larger if scholarships have been awared to walkons that are not included. Each BSC conference squad is limited to 85 scholarship players. If the number 64 is correct, the Gophers will have 21 open slots for 2012 recruits. The maximun number per year that can be signed is 25 provided this keeps the team within the 85 maximum. A school can also assign upto 3 scholarships to the previous years class if the players enrolled for second semester and the previous year was not a full class of 25. I do believe that last year's class had 25 signees with 1 transfer, 1 JC transfer & 1 freshman enrolling for 2nd semester in January 2011. These would be assigned to the 2010 class as there was room in the 25 number limit. This would mean if correct, for 2012 they could sign 28 players and assign 3 to 2011 if they enroll in school for 2nd semester in January 2012. The remaining 25 would be the limit for the 2012 class enrolling in the fall of 2012. In order to sign 28 recruits for 2012, at least 7 scholarship player currently on the squad would need to leave the program. If there are currently more than 64 juniors, sophomores & freshman on the roster then more would need to leave. If the coaching staff would also like to award a scholarship to walkons who have performed well enough to earn one, additional players would have to decide to leave. I agree that there maybe from 5 to 10 players leaving the squad. Some of these are players not playing and if they want to play they transfer to division 1 or 2. There always seems to be some attrition for various reason.

This is great info. Does the roster you are referring to still include guys like Singleton, Ragoo, and Brandon? Also, I believe Phil Nelson is going to enroll early so he would be one guy we could count towards the previous class. I personally am skeptical of that we will be able to recruit kids that will make a difference (I believe the stat is 29% of our current committed recruits do not even have 1 other BCS offer), but I guess we have to hope for the best.

Not many JuCo players have done anything in recent years.

Everyone seems to be pretty happy with Moulton. Lawrence was a heck of a football player for us. McKinley was alright and Simmons and Brock each had a good season. Rabe is filling a pretty big need for us alright. Lewis has been ok, he's beaten out a lot of 4 year recruits for PT.

On average, i'd say our JuCo recruits have been better (by percentage) than our HS recruits. I am not arguing that this is the way to go, but I don't mind it at a couple positions.

Fruechte is a guy like Moulton who signed (WR will have three years left). I wouldn't mind a JuCo Defensive back in the mix for next season.

This is great info. Does the roster you are referring to still include guys like Singleton, Ragoo, and Brandon? Also, I believe Phil Nelson is going to enroll early so he would be one guy we could count towards the previous class. I personally am skeptical of that we will be able to recruit kids that will make a difference (I believe the stat is 29% of our current committed recruits do not even have 1 other BCS offer), but I guess we have to hope for the best.

I don't really want to throw guys names out there because it is purely speculation but there are a couple of other players that I think must be out or leaving the program. They just are at positions of need and I don't see anything from them, ever.

I always guessed we'd sign between 22 and a full class next season. It really won't take a ton of attrition to get to that point.

I also wouldn't be overly concerned about other offers. I think you need to look at each recruit differently. Some guys don't get offers because they commit really early (Tommy Olson, Phil Nelson, etc.) and other guys don't have offers because they weren't really sought after recruits (Jones).

The 64 man roster does not include Ragoo but does include Singleton, Brandon, and Brooks Michel. If these three are no longer on the squad, the number is 61 meaning 24 current slots for 2012 recruits. I still feel that there will be 5-10 leaving the program to allow scholarships to be given to a full 2012 class and to award walkons that are performing. What has affected the walkon program is new D-1 programs such as NDSU, SDSU, USD and UND giving scolarships to HS players that would otherwise consider walking on at the U of M. Need to have some full rides available to entice these HS players to take a shot at the U of M.

I believe Quentin Gardener is going to be joining the team in January as well. He had a situation almost identical to Gray and wasn't able to join the team in the summer. Last I heard that he was fully expecting to come to the U when it got resolved and that it was on it's way to being resolved.

I don't know if his scholarship would count towards last year or how they would count it.

Top Bottom