Kill has to try to build up players

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I keep hearing this non-stop talk from the coach that my players are not fast, they are not strong, they are not tough, they don't know how to tackle and now we have to make things more simple because they are not smart enough to get what we are teaching. Oh yes, then he says we have to do a better job of coaching too.

There may be a lot of truth in what he is saying but if you keep saying it over and over in public then I think your players are going to quit on you. Coach Kill you have had at least nine months to work with these kids. Many of the things I see should be correctable with good coaching. I think he has to take a different approach. By the time he gets to Wisconsin his players just may walk off the field in that beat-down.

I keep hearing this non-stop talk from the coach that my players are not fast, they are not strong, they are not tough, they don't know how to tackle and now we have to make things more simple because they are not smart enough to get what we are teaching. Oh yes, then he says we have to do a better job of coaching too.

There may be a lot of truth in what he is saying but if you keep saying it over and over in public then I think your players are going to quit on you. Coach Kill you have had at least nine months to work with these kids. Many of the things I see should be correctable with good coaching. I think he has to take a different approach. By the time he gets to Wisconsin his players just may walk off the field in that beat-down.

We had a coach worse than this in high school basketball. His favorite coaching technique was to yell at and verbally abuse his players. He had good players quit the team at nearly an annual occurrence (and rightfully so), and his teams always underachieved from how they played, relatively, at the freshman, sophomore, and JV levels.

Seems to me that Kill is using a bit too much negativity, but from my standpoint he's using it to lower expectations to cover his own butt. The last coach was too rah rah and got lambasted for it. He's maybe going too far the other way. At some point you need the players you're calling "bad" to play for you.

I agree that some of the players are playing very poorly. But the coach is the one putting them on the field.

Who knows, it could go both ways. Kill's had success before so you have to think he has a feel for this, and I doubt happy players would have done much better. I'm willing to accept that this is part of the growing pains.

Coach Kill has said repeatedly that he will not change his methods or system.

Said that, I assume that is how he has coached at SIU and NIU where, in time, he had had very good success.

No one here knows what goes on at practices and meetings. But where ever he has been, the reports I have read are that the players love the guy.

Said that, I assume that is how he has coached at SIU and NIU where, in time, he had had very good success.

No one here knows what goes on at practices and meetings. But where ever he has been, the reports I have read are that the players love the guy.

+1
From the little I heard, they were very disappointed when he left NIU.

Doesn't Kill have a history of driving the team into the ground the first year? This will take 4 years. It should be worth it. Hang on. I do feel sorry for the older players, it didn't have to be so bad, but that isn't the Kill way.

FWIW, a quote from former gopher coach Lou Holtz:

"If I was murdered as soon as practice is over, there would be so many suspects among the players that they wouldn't even try to investigate."

Until you watch practice and see how he handles the players, most of you don't have a clue. Kids know reality,(most know) they know who is working and who is not. The coaches push hard,, but also let the kids doing well and willing to give it their all, know that is what they want. If a kid is getting overpowered, he doesn't need a coach to tell him he has to get stronger!!!!Kids at this level have to understand reality, not everybody is a winner, and just because mommy claps and says you are good doesn't mean you stack up.

Well, Kill had positive things to say about his players after Purdue. He said he saw some getting better as the game went on and that the reps were a good thing for his young guys. I agree completely. I know from some inside sources that the players really dig coach Kill. We need to stop analyzing, stop with the negativity and let him do his thing. This year he is blowing the whole thing up and that was in the cards to begin with. Next year some of these young guys will start to shine. Turning on this guy will become a self fulfilling development. Stick with Coach K and focus on the positives.

Interesting that no one has mentioned Kill's demeanor on the sidelines during the Purdue game. Sure, he got in some guy's faces, but most of the time he was talking and teaching. It reminded me of some of the times when I deal with my boys. Sometimes I need to yell to get them to pay attention, and then I speak to them to get them to do what they are supposed to be doing.

A lot of posters here want to treat Kill like this car crash victim:

SxsGK.gif

I went to Eight practices during two a day camp. The Players worked very hard for the
Coaches and the ones that didn't wore brown loafer shirts. Two at the most wore those shirts.
Numerous times after practice, Kill told the team that he was happy with their effort.

Interesting that no one has mentioned Kill's demeanor on the sidelines during the Purdue game. Sure, he got in some guy's faces, but most of the time he was talking and teaching. It reminded me of some of the times when I deal with my boys. Sometimes I need to yell to get them to pay attention, and then I speak to them to get them to do what they are supposed to be doing.

A lot of posters here want to treat Kill like this car crash victim:

SxsGK.gif

Funny that the vid is running backwards. Send in more....

Exactly. This is why the huge freakout is so blisteringly stupid. SIU and NIU players, fans, everyone LOVES him. He had good success at both. But suddenly he reaches the BCS level and our special snowflake of a program is where his coaching methods are immediately horrible (except that they weren't horrible when everyone liked them in the preseason)?

Am I the only one who remembers the blurb (can't recall if it was Miller's blog or Gaardy's clearing the notebook) about how Kill interacted with Moulton on a day he had the Lopher jersey on? Moulton was dog tired, so Kill carried his gear for him while they talked and walked back to the locker room. Yep, that's a real a**hole who only knows how to scream and carry on. What a jackwagon he is.

This isn't a guy whose only tactic is to tear players down. I especially like how his style was a fan fave here on GH until we started losing. Then it was ZOMG, Kill sucks! I don't get surprised when Art OOG and other troll-ish posters do that. Or when unknown noobs with no history on the board do that. But there is a wider freakout in play here that is making this board damn near impossible to read.

Exactly. This is why the huge freakout is so blisteringly stupid. SIU and NIU players, fans, everyone LOVES him. He had good success at both. But suddenly he reaches the BCS level and our special snowflake of a program is where his coaching methods are immediately horrible (except that they weren't horrible when everyone liked them in the preseason)?

Am I the only one who remembers the blurb (can't recall if it was Miller's blog or Gaardy's clearing the notebook) about how Kill interacted with Moulton on a day he had the Lopher jersey on? Moulton was dog tired, so Kill carried his gear for him while they talked and walked back to the locker room. Yep, that's a real a**hole who only knows how to scream and carry on. What a jackwagon he is.

This isn't a guy whose only tactic is to tear players down. I especially like how his style was a fan fave here on GH until we started losing. Then it was ZOMG, Kill sucks! I don't get surprised when Art OOG and other troll-ish posters do that. Or when unknown noobs with no history on the board do that. But there is a wider freakout in play here that is making this board damn near impossible to read.

This. I have no idea how people became so stupid. I normally read about 20% of the threads, but it has been cut to 5%, if that.

This. I have no idea how people became so stupid.
I mean, I sort of get it...A season with a loss to NMSU or NDSU is bad enough regardless of how the rest of the season turns out. A season with a 58-0 loss to anyone is even worse. And a season with one of the other things mention plus a blowout loss @ Purdue goes even deeper. To have all 4 reaches new depths of suckitude. Throw in the need to reevaluate all the preseason optimism about a new coaching staff and add on an almost win @ USC and it gets worse. There is some serious disappointment and annoyance to contend with here.

That's how people can be this stupid. I don't quite get how folks move from really annoyed to so freaking mad that even a trace of reasoned thought is too hard, but we're facing a perfect storm of conditions when it comes to the freakout.

Quitters quit, hard working players don't. Let the quitters quit. Bye.

I have yet to freak out. It is not like I go to the fridge, crack one open and start to cry after watching the Gopher football team "plays" the game. I have watched too many games, including the blowout Nebraska game to consider this anything but a regular season. My beef is with you regular high amplitude posters who blow the program up in the off season and then defend the ineptitude during the season. My beef has not just been with the way Kill coaches, or the team plays, but how guys like you enter the land the Gophers forgot and start chortling about how great things will be if we just wait a while. The tsunami hit your house, killed everybody, and you guys bring out the cameras to take family photos because it is such a Kodak Moment. Joey ain't going to grow up. The two by four blasted through his skull and he won't be playing catch with you tomorrow.

Wisconsin plays freshmen and starts them as well. Iowa plays freshmen and starts them as well. Purdue played freshmen and starts them as well.

I am sure you are a very bright and reasonable guy. But when it comes to prognosticating the team, well, it comes across as know-it-all and frankly quite stupid. I haven't called anybody a troll, lately, am I am not going to start with you. I feel for you. I understand your pain. I am not the problem. Although it does feel good to kill the messenger of bad news, the general that lost the war is over at the Bierman building putting together the next best way to get crushed right now. You want someone to lambaste, start where it all begins, with the coach. We are 1.5 with some notable heavy weights coming our way. I saw this coming very early. I started looking at the roster and the recruiting results. They are a bust. When I saw that, I knew these guys were over their head. They have been mailing in their work and for all their working hours, I bet most are wasted and pointless. Wasted and pointless because of the regression that has occurred. In the offseason, I would venture an estimate that the positive posts were 60-1. When I began posting that his recruiting wasn't great, the vast majority condemned my minimalist analysis as meaningless and worse. But, the grain of truth persists on his ability to get the job done. So, when the season rolled in, I began to see how awful the team defense and offensive scheme looked against other teams. The kids didn't look prepared. They didn't look like they wanted to play the game. Well, I posted that here. And, the positive posts went to about 50-10. A few more games, and it was 30-30. Now, it runs about 15-45. Not only am I on the side that can see the fact from the fiction, I invite you one last time to describe where the improvement has occurred in the last 6 games. Frankly, if you know why you're not an asshole, and I am the asshole, I really want to know by defending Kills performance to date. What has he done that stands out as a positive?

I am ready to read anything anybody tries to sell on this board. I am not going to scurry off and pout in the corner. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you cry, not that I would predict that I could. All I want is your honest analysis instead of the crap you stated above.

We had a coach worse than this in high school basketball. His favorite coaching technique was to yell at and verbally abuse his players. He had good players quit the team at nearly an annual occurrence (and rightfully so), and his teams always underachieved from how they played, relatively, at the freshman, sophomore, and JV levels.

Seems to me that Kill is using a bit too much negativity, but from my standpoint he's using it to lower expectations to cover his own butt. The last coach was too rah rah and got lambasted for it. He's maybe going too far the other way. At some point you need the players you're calling "bad" to play for you.

I agree that some of the players are playing very poorly. But the coach is the one putting them on the field.

You're half right there. He WAS putting them on the field. He gave those players that he was "calling out" 4-5 games to prove that they wanted to play and give it their all. This is exactly why we are seeing so many freshman play and start. The players he was talking about won't be playing much if at all.

Wisconsin plays freshmen and starts them as well. Iowa plays freshmen and starts them as well. Purdue played freshmen and starts them as well. [/QUOTE said:
Do you have links to back any of that up?

Fake OOG lost me with his weird 2x4 story. I can't wait until the real OOG comes back to explain how being able to drink beer is a protected constitutional class. That's the sort of analysis this board is missing right now.

I have yet to freak out. It is not like I go to the fridge, crack one open and start to cry after watching the Gopher football team "plays" the game. I have watched too many games, including the blowout Nebraska game to consider this anything but a regular season. My beef is with you regular high amplitude posters who blow the program up in the off season and then defend the ineptitude during the season. My beef has not just been with the way Kill coaches, or the team plays, but how guys like you enter the land the Gophers forgot and start chortling about how great things will be if we just wait a while. The tsunami hit your house, killed everybody, and you guys bring out the cameras to take family photos because it is such a Kodak Moment. Joey ain't going to grow up. The two by four blasted through his skull and he won't be playing catch with you tomorrow.

Wisconsin plays freshmen and starts them as well. Iowa plays freshmen and starts them as well. Purdue played freshmen and starts them as well.

I am sure you are a very bright and reasonable guy. But when it comes to prognosticating the team, well, it comes across as know-it-all and frankly quite stupid. I haven't called anybody a troll, lately, am I am not going to start with you. I feel for you. I understand your pain. I am not the problem. Although it does feel good to kill the messenger of bad news, the general that lost the war is over at the Bierman building putting together the next best way to get crushed right now. You want someone to lambaste, start where it all begins, with the coach. We are 1.5 with some notable heavy weights coming our way. I saw this coming very early. I started looking at the roster and the recruiting results. They are a bust. When I saw that, I knew these guys were over their head. They have been mailing in their work and for all their working hours, I bet most are wasted and pointless. Wasted and pointless because of the regression that has occurred. In the offseason, I would venture an estimate that the positive posts were 60-1. When I began posting that his recruiting wasn't great, the vast majority condemned my minimalist analysis as meaningless and worse. But, the grain of truth persists on his ability to get the job done. So, when the season rolled in, I began to see how awful the team defense and offensive scheme looked against other teams. The kids didn't look prepared. They didn't look like they wanted to play the game. Well, I posted that here. And, the positive posts went to about 50-10. A few more games, and it was 30-30. Now, it runs about 15-45. Not only am I on the side that can see the fact from the fiction, I invite you one last time to describe where the improvement has occurred in the last 6 games. Frankly, if you know why you're not an asshole, and I am the asshole, I really want to know by defending Kills performance to date. What has he done that stands out as a positive?

I am ready to read anything anybody tries to sell on this board. I am not going to scurry off and pout in the corner. I'm not trying to hurt your feelings or make you cry, not that I would predict that I could. All I want is your honest analysis instead of the crap you stated above.

Wow, why don't go and stare at yourself in the mirror a little longer, your wisdom is just too much for the rest of us to comprehend. You have that magical ability to make profound conclusions without any facts.

Our coordinators are not fine. We have no offensive line but we consistently try to run a zone read?

Why? The seniors are a dumpster fire. "You can't polish a turd" Just look at the Vikings.

Wow, why don't go and stare at yourself in the mirror a little longer, your wisdom is just too much for the rest of us to comprehend. You have that magical ability to make profound conclusions without any facts.

It was rhetorical. My facts were theatrical, not actual. You are correct. But, if you glance at more than your own mirror, or mine, you will see that people are very disappointed with the team, and many are questioning the coaches. So, I did make up the numbers. And, I even stated it in the text. Nothing is profound about my conclusions. My experience with people dictates my behavior toward Kill. You probably have had a much happier life with less notable events that affected your happy experience, which gives you hope that Jerry Kill and his "system" will make positive progress. At one time, I became that believer in Jerry Kill too. Not any more. And, it is not the result of the games, which only hardened my opinion that something has critically failed under his new leadership. There needs to be some kind of intervention to assess the true state of the program.

What is the reason you keep professing faith in Kill? What do you see that should provide the inspiration and rational expectation that Kill can get it done? Right now, I believe that you think the past predicts the future (conjecture on my part). If history could model the future, historians would be in high demand outside of academia. The problem with projecting the past into the future is that it doesn't model well. But, that is what I read from your remarks and the remarks of many more on this board. They appear unconvincing. The rhetoric exceeds the results on the field. For example, talk over the last year was largely about off season work outs and how Kline would make the team a better 4th quarter team. The statistics show that to be true on face value. But, the reality is the other teams have scored so many points in the first 3 quarters, they have played more 2nd and 3rd team players in the 4th quarter. By our ineptitude, we grant our foes a competitive advantage in the future by allowing them experience against us in their player development. It has also been mentioned that our coaches are great tacticians and game managers. Yet, in the first quarter through the year, the Gophers have been outscored by 30 - 17, excluding last game. In the second quarter the disparity widens as other teams outscored us 87-27. Instead of closing the gap after halftime, the gap persists with the Gophers being outscored 26-13. So, at no time does it appear that we have a leadership advantage in tactics, which we also see poor results in unnecessary penalties.

I so often hear that the coaches are trying to instill knowledge and passion in the players to play the game well and all out. Well, by limiting the playbook to the basics, they have taken out the passion for the game. It isn't fun to watch or play. It is Milquetoast and very easy to defend. The players are not stupid. The one's who are playing are not likely to be the 21 purported players on academic probation, or whatever academic difficulty they are actually in. If they are, it makes Kill look a bigger fraud than before, because he has repeatedly stated at Red Wing, Owatonna and other stops on his tour, that he wants kids to succeed in class and have smart players on the field.

If I were to give a prescription for Jerry Kill it would be to implement some positive rewards for the kids. Do the unexpected within the team first. Toss out the plan for this year because it is a failure. Have all the team members do the same. Begin anew.

"Hi. My name is Jerry Kill. I will be a new coach for you from now on. Forget about what we said up to this point. We are not having any fun, so we need to start having some right now. We are going to open practice with....(something fun but useful in regaining their attention)."

If I were to give a prescription for Jerry Kill it would be to implement some positive rewards for the kids. Do the unexpected within the team first. Toss out the plan for this year because it is a failure. Have all the team members do the same. Begin anew.

"Hi. My name is Jerry Kill. I will be a new coach for you from now on. Forget about what we said up to this point. We are not having any fun, so we need to start having some right now. We are going to open practice with....(something fun but useful in regaining their attention)."

Oh, good. Now that you have shown us the error of our ways, you're going to start speaking directly to Jerry. You're either a unanimous, first ballot inductee for the Pompous Jackass Hall of Fame or this is one hell of a put-on.

Top Bottom