I have to ask

Reaction score
remember the good ole days of shortell vs. gray here??? well, now that we are a little deeper into the season, which is it? forget whether or not a win is actually attainable for this squad. that's not what i'm asking. what qb gives us the best chance to win? who should it be? anyone changing their tune one way or another?

Nope, 70-80% Shortell, 20-30% Gray
for playing time that is.

I'm beating a dead horse, but Kill is in love with Gray. To all the "you were probably calling for Gray last year", look what happened when Gray got 10 to 15+ plays a game at QB, they beat Illinois and Iowa.

We've seen the most inept offense in recent college football memory under Gray, why not give Shortell the amount of time Gray has had? 8 of 20 with a pick 6, and a scoring drive against Purdue's 2nd and 3rd stringers? Seriously, why the hell not? Someone tell me why the hell not? We're going nowhere. And yes, we lose by at least 50 to Michigan with Gray at Quarterback as well. We'll see what happens against Nebraska.

Nope, 70-80% Shortell, 20-30% Gray
for playing time that is.

I'm beating a dead horse, but Kill is in love with Gray. To all the "you were probably calling for Gray last year", look what happened when Gray got 10 to 15+ plays a game at QB, they beat Illinois and Iowa.

We've seen the most inept offense in recent college football memory under Gray, why not give Shortell the amount of time Gray has had? 8 of 20 with a pick 6, and a scoring drive against Purdue's 2nd and 3rd stringers? Seriously, why the hell not? Someone tell me why the hell not? We're going nowhere. And yes, we lose by at least 50 to Michigan with Gray at Quarterback as well. We'll see what happens against Nebraska.

I think the six quarters under Shortell is enough, I think in time he won't be that bad, but because of the shortcommings of the O-line you have to go with Gray. You can't go 4 and out over and over again and have any chance. The offense is the reason Purdue put up 31 in the first half and Michigan put up 58. You have to put together some scoring drives to have keep the game competitive.

I think the six quarters under Shortell is enough, I think in time he won't be that bad, but because of the shortcommings of the O-line you have to go with Gray. You can't go 4 and out over and over again and have any chance. The offense is the reason Purdue put up 31 in the first half and Michigan put up 58. You have to put together some scoring drives to have keep the game competitive.

...Don't know how you can say that. Gray comes in and goes 2 and touchdown the other way! Then they go 3 plays and out. Then they go 7 plays and out. But Gray gets to continue and go 4 of 14 passing with an interception return for a touchdown. It's not Shortell's fault that they come out and run it for a 3 yard loss then a 1 yard gain and it's 3rd and 12. Then the punter kicks it 26 yards. I'm saying let Shortell go out there and throw it and give him the same chance as Gray. Gray throws 2 picks in the first half against New Mexico State (one the first play after we get a turnover) and Kill throws him back out there. If Shortell got to play the whole game against Purdue and ended up sucking then ok. But don't judge by the Michigan game. Gray led us to a field goal and a touchdown against Purdue's second and third stringers in 3 full quarters of work. I would just like to see Jerry stick with Shortell as long as he does Gray and see what happens. But like I said, we'll see what Gray does against Nebraska, Wisconsin and the rest of the Big 10. I have a feeling Shortell will be getting more opportunities.

At this point, with the poor pass protection, you need to stick with Gray. I also want to see if Gray can up his game over the next 6 games. Let's not forget, he really hasn't played QB regularly since his junior year of high school, perhaps at some point things will start to click for him. Besides that, Shortell did nothing in his 2 starts that leads me to believe they are a better team with him starting.

Kill will play both. He doesn't want to shell shock Max now. He has a chance to get him some work and then go sit back and learn, and put him in with the most chance of success. This way not too much pressure. I will pay off big time when we et a solid line. Max will have the knowledge and confidence. Kill is right on this developement.

Name..... G.. QBRat.. Att.. Comp%.. Y/G.. TD.. Int.. Sack
Gray....... 5.. 104.5.. 47.... 48.5.... 125.0.. 3... 4.... 11
Shortell... 5.. 102.9.. 26.... 49.1..... 61.8... 2... 2..... 4

Considering Gray has had almost exactly twice the passes, Shortell's numbers are pretty much the same. There's only 2 differences left to look at: Gray is a more consistent runner, Shortell is a Freshman.

Obviously we won't get Shortell at QB and Gray at WR. Gray will not get us to a bowl in his time due to the players around him. I say start Shortell and let him build chemistry with the other freshmen who are playing. That could be a huge payoff down the road -- and one that Gray should have been reaping now had he been invested in as well.

It does not matter with the lines this bad. The seniors need to bow out and find a job.

Top Bottom