This is not what I hoped for

gophers141

Reaction score
Kill may eventually producing a winning record while he is here at the U but I have to say that this may be the worst Gopher team I have ever seen. Everyone keeps saying "this isn't the same team from last year." In all honesty that really doesn't matter, we have enough talent where we should be able to beat NMSU and NDSU along with putting up a better margin than 103-17 in our first two big ten games.

Jerry Kill already holds three of the most embarrassing losses in school history in his first six games. We lost badly to a terrible Purdue team and we got laughed out of Ann Arbor by a Michigan team that is still far from their glory days. Our coordinators on both sides of the ball look lost. We can't run a zone read without an offense line, it just isn't possible. Yet we continue to run that play for -2 yards consistently. Our strength on offense in quickness at wideout, so get the ball in Jones' hands quickly and let him get yards in space.

On defense these past 2 weeks we look like we are playing with 10 men, that could be both lack of talent and play calling.

As far as seniors quitting, wouldn't you? Kill has consistently told this group of seniors they suck. Was he expecting to be winning games by driving that message home? If I was McKnight I couldn't wait to get off this team, Kill alienated the only NFL talent on this team. He looks like he has quit on the field because he has and with good reason.

The worst part of all of this 1-5 disaster is at no point has Kill taken any accountability for any of it, he just continues to say how bare the talent pool is at the U. Thats BS, you don't lose a big ten game 58-0 and be able to blame it all on your players, you clearly got out coached on both sides of the ball.

Kill may eventually producing a winning record while he is here at the U but I have to say that this may be the worst Gopher team I have ever seen. Everyone keeps saying "this isn't the same team from last year." In all honesty that really doesn't matter, we have enough talent where we should be able to beat NMSU and NDSU along with putting up a better margin than 103-17 in our first two big ten games.

Jerry Kill already holds three of the most embarrassing losses in school history in his first six games. We lost badly to a terrible Purdue team and we got laughed out of Ann Arbor by a Michigan team that is still far from their glory days. Our coordinators on both sides of the ball look lost. We can't run a zone read without an offense line, it just isn't possible. Yet we continue to run that play for -2 yards consistently. Our strength on offense in quickness at wideout, so get the ball in Jones' hands quickly and let him get yards in space.

On defense these past 2 weeks we look like we are playing with 10 men, that could be both lack of talent and play calling.

As far as seniors quitting, wouldn't you? Kill has consistently told this group of seniors they suck. Was he expecting to be winning games by driving that message home? If I was McKnight I couldn't wait to get off this team, Kill alienated the only NFL talent on this team. He looks like he has quit on the field because he has and with good reason.

The worst part of all of this 1-5 disaster is at no point has Kill taken any accountability for any of it, he just continues to say how bare the talent pool is at the U. Thats BS, you don't lose a big ten game 58-0 and be able to blame it all on your players, you clearly got out coached on both sides of the ball.
Do you actually read any of Coach Kill's actual statements, or just see what you want? He HAS taken blame for the losses, multiple times.

How you can say its OK for McKnight to quit on the team regardless of the reasons speaks volumes about your opinion. There is NO possible way any player should quit on his team. I don't care what the coach does or says. When you quit on the team you are quitting on all of the players. If he truly is quitting on his team than he should ride the pine the rest of the season. Also, he should be aware that this kind of attitude is noticed by the people who build rosters for the NFL. Borderline talents make NFL rosters because of GREAT attitudes. They only put up with bad ones when they have unbelievable talent and that isn't McKnight.

I would hope that McKnight is smart enough to realize that he has NF potential. If he lacks the desire or motivation to continue to work hard to increase his chances of getting there then so be it. I also believe if Kill truly thought that McNight was dogging it that he would be standing on the sidelines.

If McKnight can't quit on his team then Kill can't throw his own players underneath the bus just because he didn't recruit them because guess what? For the next 3 years Kill is going to have players there that he didn't recruit. He can't use that as an excuse, he is a football coach and if he is as good as this whole staff seems to think they are then Kill and co. should be able to develop players that even they didn't recruit.

If they show that they want to work and buy into the system, they will get a chance, if not , could be a long few yrs.

As far as seniors quitting, wouldn't you? Kill has consistently told this group of seniors they suck. Was he expecting to be winning games by driving that message home? If I was McKnight I couldn't wait to get off this team, Kill alienated the only NFL talent on this team. He looks like he has quit on the field because he has and with good reason.The worst part of all of this 1-5 disaster is at no point has Kill taken any accountability for any of it, he just continues to say how bare the talent pool is at the U. Thats BS, you don't lose a big ten game 58-0 and be able to blame it all on your players, you clearly got out coached on both sides of the ball.

He77 no!!

As a Sr. I want as much PT as I can get. This is their last chance to play CFB and no way would I want my spot taken by a true Frs. Or RSFr for that matter.

Worst Gopher Team?
09/10/1983 at Rice Rice Stadium • Houston, TX W 21-17 10,000
09/17/1983 Nebraska Metrodome • Minneapolis, MN L 13-84 62,687
09/24/1983 Purdue Metrodome • Minneapolis, MN L 20-32 41,839
10/01/1983 at Ohio State Ohio Stadium • Columbus, OH L 18-69 89.192
10/08/1983 at Indiana Memorial Stadium • Bloomington, IN L 31-38 41,111
10/15/1983 Wisconsin Metrodome • Minneapolis, MN L 17-56 62,689
10/22/1983 at Northwestern Dyche Stadium • Evanston, IL L 8-19 21,411
10/29/1983 at Michigan State Spartan Stadium • East Lansing, MI L 10-34 76,481
11/05/1983 Illinois Metrodome • Minneapolis, MN L 23-50 35,514
11/12/1983 Michigan Metrodome • Minneapolis, MN L 10-58 40,945
11/19/1983 at Iowa Iowa Stadium • Iowa City, IA L 10-61 66,160

We'll see, but I count a few far more embarassing losses here. But your analysis hold no water on so many levels.

We'll see, but I count a few far more embarassing losses here. But your analysis hold no water on so many levels.

It's the ESPN Hyberbole Effect. Everything has to be the best/worst of all-time (and stay tuned, we'll tell you why next, right after some pointless Top 10 list, and Lou Holtz predicting Notre Dame to win again).

This isn't what I hoped for. I don't think it's what Kill hoped for. Obviously no fan could have thought it would be this bad, even pessimistic fans probably didn't think we'd fall down 45-3 to Purdue, or lose 58-0 to Michigan. 1-5 isn't shocking really, but how we've gotten there is quite jarring. But I think fans have to be careful putting too much stock into this current year, versus looking at the bigger picture and the things overall that are being established.

I'm not saying ignore red flags this year has presented, cause there have been some, but I'm not worried about Coach Kill in Year 1, I'm worried about Coach Kill in Year 3 and 4, and you just can't get too wrapped up in agonizing over how the team looks this year when Kill is trying to change so many things about this program, both on and off the field. He's gotta make sure that in the coming years, things are set up to where we are in position to be successful, if he thinks that's playing a lot of young guys this year, then that's what he'll do.

I just appreciate that he seems to have a plan for what he wants to do.

Top Bottom