Reusse says Kill is a high school coach

Reaction score
Not sure he is quite that bad but his schemes look extremely overmatched IMO. Horton got significantly more out of basically the same group and that isn't a good sign IMO. I hate the offensive scheme the most, its basically just going back to the crap spread offense yet again. I hate running it out of the shotgun all the time. I just think its a terrible scheme for this area and I think Brewster also admitted that going to the spread offense was a big mistake. This might not be the same wide open type of spread but close enough to still suck.

http://twitter.com/#!/1500ESPN_reusse

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
Donnell Kirkowood told to go put football in ball-carrying position on sideline after 2nd fumble, right? We got a high school coach, folks.
20 minutes ago

I hate name calling, but Reusse is a fat p.o.s. and I can only hope Kill choke slams him.. that's if Reusse ever has the balls to interview him person to person...... not likely.

Reusse and Maturi can go cuddle together in some wisconsin bed & breakfast and stay there, hacks.

Let's get ONE THING STRAIGHT, this is NOT the same team from last year!!! A team Horton was apart of for 10 games before he beat Illinois and Iowa. Yes, Horton was a better coach than Brewster, but a bit far from Kill. For my money, the only player producing on Kill's team is Kill's recruit (Marcus Jones), nobody else gives a damn.. (mostly seniors who feel they have nothing to play for)

Jerry Kill has been a successful coach everywhere he's been, Horton has had almost no success with his HC shots, anywhere...

Funny that the guy who called the plays while getting destroyed by SDSU is now a folk hero because 'he" beat Illinois and Iowa. Different team, different year, different everything.

http://twitter.com/#!/1500ESPN_reusse

1500ESPN_Reusse Patrick Reusse
Donnell Kirkowood told to go put football in ball-carrying position on sideline after 2nd fumble, right? We got a high school coach, folks.
20 minutes ago

I don't even know what Reusse means. Because Kill told a running back to hold the ball in a ball-carrying position, he's now a high school coach? Really? A team gives up almost 100 straight points, and THAT'S what Pat decides to bitch about? He never ceases to amaze, that's for sure.

I hate name calling, but Reusse is a fat p.o.s. and I can only hope Kill choke slams him.. that's if Reusse ever has the balls to interview him person to person...... not likely.

Reusse and Maturi can go cuddle together in some wisconsin bed & breakfast and stay there, hacks.

Let's get ONE THING STRAIGHT, this is NOT the same team from last year!!! A team Horton was apart of for 10 games before he beat Illinois and Iowa. Yes, Horton was a better coach than Brewster, but a bit far from Kill. For my money, the only player producing on Kill's team is Kill's recruit (Marcus Jones), nobody else gives a damn.. (mostly seniors who feel they have nothing to play for)

Jerry Kill has been a successful coach everywhere he's been, Horton has had almost no success with his HC shots, anywhere...

Although I do think the program is a total joke, I totally agree with you here. Not the same team at all. There is little to no talent and that is not Kill's fault. Who's to say if he is able to coach at this level, but to say he cant win with the same team is a joke. I agree Reusse takes cheap shots all the time...but the Gophs probably deserve some.

Horton got significantly more out of basically the same group and that isn't a good sign IMO.

Did it take you three seconds to come up with that? Of the 11 starters on offense against Iowa....TWO STARTED AGAINST MICHIGAN. At times there were four true freshman and four redshirt freshmen on the field on offense at the same time.

Horton got significantly more out of basically the same group and that isn't a good sign IMO.

Anyone who believes this does not have the slightest clue about this team and his or her opinion is not even worth listening to.

The idea that you can't run the ball out of the spread is completely outdated and I can't imagine anyone who has access to an internet or cable television could still hold that opinion.

You can run the ball out of the spread, in fact, more than 50% of the leading rushers in the NCAA last year ran out of a version of the spread.

You can't run the ball, in any scheme, when your offensive line is being dominated.

The other thing is that this team we have now isn't as different from the squad from last year as a lot of the people are begging for you to believe. We have some injuries right now, but we were TERRIBLE before those injuries.

We returned 3 of our starting 4 DL;
all of our LBs;
and 2 of our 4 DBs.

That is an experienced defense, and that defense got shredded this year before Stoudermire got hurt and before we started playing a ton more young guys.

The offense was also more experienced than a lot of people would lead you to believe.

Bennett is obviously a wash with Eskridge, or close to it (in experience and ability). Lair, while not starting all the time for whatever reason, is really the TE who gets the most minutes. Ed Olson was hurt for the Iowa game, but we can all agree that Ed Olson is better than his backup. Wynn and Orton started and played the entire Illinois game (played a lot in the Iowa game too if I recall).

You can play hide the ball with all the numbers that you want. We are getting less out of our returning players this year than we did at the end of last year. I'm not blaming Kill for that but why can't we just admit that, it seems like a pretty obvious thing to me.

firedcosgrove....You know what? I think it is brilliant to go back to the very basics with a lot of young players....college-aged players and even nfl-aged players. They don't seem to learn some of the basics in their high schools. Have you watched tackling at either the high school level or the college level...or, even sometimes...to often times in the nfl.

Stick with the basics that they either don't teach at the high school level OR that all too many kids certainly don't pick up in high school football.

You can NEVER go wrong working on the very fundamentals of the game. All too many gifted athletes NEVER seem to master some of the basics.

Football is NOT such a complicated game. A lot of it has to do with basic blocking, tackling and for crying out loud HANGING ON TO THE BALL.

Is reusse implying that there is some super "advanced" technique for holding on to the ball that NCAA Athletes or nfl athletes have developed that is better than putting the football in a ball-carrying position when they carry the ball? I think not.

The very best football is the most basic football. The same damn things your Jr. High Coaches tried to teach you should be used at any and every level of football.

"...deep, reusse...really DEEP..." Come on reusse: get with the program. Just watch in the nfl how they are carrying the damn ball when they fumble...If players get careless at any level and have troubly by fumbling the ball, they could ALL be reminded to go back to the basic ball-carrying position.

Reusse has invalidated his opinion long ago by bitching about everything, all the time. He's just one of those people. We all know lots of people like him: work with them, go to church with them, have them for neighbors, definitely have them for relatives. Roll your eyes, feel sorry for them, and go on with your life.

Go Gophers!

....and Reusse is a high school journalist! ....and a hack at that!

I'm a big Reusse fan, but he gets it wrong sometimes when he writes his obits. He declared Morneau a bust in a column just off his 3rd call-up, and days before he broke through to become an MVP talent. He also wrote an obit for Kevin Love just games into his career. Pat never awards himself a Turkey Award and doesn't do a great job recalling his missed calls.

I think he is too early to dismiss Kill in light of what he is working with, although I agree with the criticism on Kirkwood. Sit him down for the game, don't humiliate him. Then again, Kill is hard on himself and might have some words about how he handled the situation.

It is a bad situation now and anyone who hasn't regretted an action out of frustration is likely a trust-fund baby who has lived life in a bubble.

Are we so sure the first fumble was even Kirkwood's fault? Seems like the QB didn't get it in there very well and maybe was even try to pull it out.

Imagine that, a negative Gopher article from Ruesse.

Horton had a better QB--a much better QB.

I'm a big Reusse fan, but he gets it wrong sometimes when he writes his obits. He declared Morneau a bust in a column just off his 3rd call-up, and days before he broke through to become an MVP talent. He also wrote an obit for Kevin Love just games into his career. Pat never awards himself a Turkey Award and doesn't do a great job recalling his missed calls.

I think he is too early to dismiss Kill in light of what he is working with, although I agree with the criticism on Kirkwood. Sit him down for the game, don't humiliate him. Then again, Kill is hard on himself and might have some words about how he handled the situation.

It is a bad situation now and anyone who hasn't regretted an action out of frustration is likely a trust-fund baby who has lived life in a bubble.

So you're a Reusse fan.......as gopher fans you know he thinks we're idiots, right?

+1
Damn, damn, damn.....awesome post. You should e-mail me every time you post so I don't miss any. I laughed for 5 minutes. Thnx.

I feel like the people who say that Kill does not have a chance with Brewster's bad recruits are the same people who told me to be patient with Brewster because of how great his recruits were.

I feel like the people who say that Kill does not have a chance with Brewster's bad recruits are the same people who told me to be patient with Brewster because of how great his recruits were.

I'm one of them. Both opinions are based on track records. I think Brewster had some great recruits but his coaching destroyed many of their potential successes and futures. Kill has a track record which is consistent with what is happening here this year.

Are we so sure the first fumble was even Kirkwood's fault? Seems like the QB didn't get it in there very well and maybe was even try to pull it out.

i agree, that first fumble was all on shortell in my book. But he other one was noones fault but Kirkwoods.

I'm one of them. Both opinions are based on track records. I think Brewster had some great recruits but his coaching destroyed many of their potential successes and futures. Kill has a track record which is consistent with what is happening here this year.

Any player, regardless of their star rating or offers, is not going to have a lot of success if he shows up on campus and the program isn't doing its part to develop that player. You can tell just looking at this squad, there hasn't been the type of improvement on an individual basis that was necessary to allow the vaunted "recruiting ranking" to show itself. That is an aspect that I BADLY underestimated under Brewster. I bought into the "just bring in the athletes and don't worry about the coaching" that seemed to take place the last four years. I got caught up in stars cause I wanted it to work so badly, I didn't really care how we got there.

But when you have someone like Jerry Kill, who walks in from DAY ONE, and sees a program in shambles talks about a lack of athletes on the team and he's coming from a background that doesn't even include BCS coaching, that tells you all you need to know about the state of this program. No disrespect to the MAC or any lower level football, but if Kill is coming here and is like "Wow....this isn't good", then we have problems. I don't know why some seem to assume he is just overblowing the state of the program in order to lower expectations, but from everything that's been seen so far, I don't know how you can doubt him.

That's really funny

AK - I think Pat did own up to his Love obit

i agree, that first fumble was all on shortell in my book. But he other one was noones fault but Kirkwoods.

Oh I agree. I just thought that was kinda overlooked by the announcers and people posting here. Either way, one fumble is inexcusable.

I'm just trying to figure out why it seems as if most people feel like the two wins to close out the year last year put this team in the hunt for a National Title or something. We all ahve to remember they still only won 3 games last year. They were a bad team last year and they are a bad team again this year. We really shouldn't be all that suprised.

Top Bottom