12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
Free article by Evan Daniels of Scout:

One of the better wing prospects in the 2014 class -- Rashad Vaughn -- is already racking up offers and college interest.

After a summer with Net Gain Sports, Rashad Vaughn has become a hot name in recruiting circles.
Already the 6-foot-5 guard out of New Hope (Minn.) Robinsdale Cooper has scholarship offers from Minnesota, Baylor, Oregon State, Arizona State and Iowa State.

“It’s coming fast, but I love it,” Vaughn said of the early offers.

“I think I had a pretty good summer,” Vaughn added. “A lot of colleges looked at me and a lot of offers came. I just have to keep working hard.”

Vaughn also has interest from Tennessee, Arizona, Iowa, Wisconsin, Texas, Louisville, Washington State and Creighton.

Recently Vaughn took an unofficial visit to a Big Ten school.

“I took a visit to Minnesota,” he said. “I think I’m going to Iowa State and I may go down to Baylor.”

“It was fun,” he said of the trip. “I got to look at the campus and go to the football game. They showed us around.”

Although he’s just a sophomore the interest has Vaughn thinking more and more about the recruiting process. He even considered an early decision.

“I thought about it, but me and my family decided to just wait,” Vaughn said.

Is there any early standouts?

“I’m liking Baylor,” he said. “It seems like a good program. I like Tennessee too.”

Vaughn is currently rated as the No. 6 shooting guard in the 2014 recruiting class.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/1113711.html

Sounds like we have some ground to make up. I really hope he considers Minnesota. It'd be nice if the top Minnesota players stay in state in that class as they alone could make Minnesota a great team. I'd have to think the thought of staying home and having Tyus as a point guard would be appealing to Vaughn and any other player for that matter.

I'm nervously excited to see how this class turns out. I wish we had a practice facility.

None of these kids ever seem to say how much there liking Minnesota.I'm starting to lose faith in our program.I'm been drinking the Gopher kool-aid for years but it seems like the kids of today for the most part have no allegience to their home university.

I think the solution is simple. Win. If we have a winning season and give people a reason to get excited about Gopher basketball this season I think we'll see players like Rashad giving us a little more love. Win and recruiting will pick up.

I think the solution is simple. Win. If we have a winning season and give people a reason to get excited about Gopher basketball this season I think we'll see players like Rashad giving us a little more love. Win and recruiting will pick up.

I agree with you, if they have another season like last season you can probably write off that class, if they start winning it will put a different perspective on the program and create some interest. I think last years results are impacting the recruiting this year.

I am somewhat nervous about this. None of the major MN recruits seem to show much interest in the Gophers.

Hoping they can be convinced!

Thanks for linking this, some good highlights of both guys. I agree I definitely hope Rashad is a Gopher.

My excitement for Wally went from about a 2 or a 3 to a 7 or 8. White boy has hops! I also like his instincts on the defensive end, looks like he really knows how to block shots.

Vaughn also looks very good. He looks incredibly smooth with the ball. Please stay in Minnesota!

I was really impressed with Vaughn on Sunday. He is a very skilled perimeter player, especially for a kid his age and with his length. He's a big time prospect. UW was in to see him this week and offered him a scholarship.

Regarding Ellenson, he still has a ways to go with him shooting and ball-handling, but he is very, very athletic. He can really finish on the break.

Excited about Ellenson and really hoping for Vaughn.

Vaughn and Tyus would be awesome Gophers!

Chris Monter Q&A: Sophomore Rashad Vaughn Continues To Shine

Rashad Vaughn, a 6-foot-4 sophomore from Robbinsdale Cooper, received an offer from the Gophers at the Tubby Smith Team Camp this summer. He attended a Gopher football earlier this fall and shined this past weekend at the Minnesota Pump N Run Fall Clinic. GopherHole.com caught up with Vaughn to learn the latest.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1505

boy i would love to have this kid just as much as tyus,, obviously a dynamic scorer he is someone that the gophers could use to be the benificiary of tyus jones' or whoevers passes even tho he creates very well on his own. we havent had great pure scorers like him in the past, especially from the guard position i wonder what he could do given a solid surrounding cast. we need this kid, and we need him to be the next big scorer we havent had since bobby jackson. cuz thats the last person i could think of from the gaurd position to be that kind of scorer. go get him tubby!!

Rashad Vaughn Vid and thoughts.

This kid is good. Went to Tonka' this weekend to watch a few of the games, and I didn't expect him to be nearly this polished. He can handle the ball (They were a much better team with him running point) Shoot from the outside and finish strong. I think the thing he lacked over anything else was his leadership. Even as a Sophomore if you are your teams best player you have to be the one scoring, or at least facilitating on your teams final possessions. Which he didn't do. He didn't touch the ball in the last three possessions when the game was on the line.(He did turn the ball over trying to go full court with 2.8 left) His game is honestly comparable to Kobe's. Now I am not saying he is Kobe or anything close, but the way he plays i.e. The fluidity of his jumper, the ability to handle, get to the basket etc. Again he is only a SO, and if he continues to improve I could honestly see him catching Tyus in class rankings. I should also say this is the first time I have seen him play, so he could have just had the game of his life...but I would recommend you all get out and see him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSqfcEMdEwM

Also, Delasalle has a pretty solid freshman, Jarvis Johnson. He ran the point and had a couple nice moves. Still has some growing to do and needs to get some lift on his jumper, but could see him as a solid D1 contributor, potentially high major.

Vaughn is going to generate a ton of discussion, ala Tyus Jones, so we wanted to create a single thread for updates, analysis, articles, video and more.

This kid is good. Went to Tonka' this weekend to watch a few of the games, and I didn't expect him to be nearly this polished. He can handle the ball (They were a much better team with him running point) Shoot from the outside and finish strong. I think the thing he lacked over anything else was his leadership. Even as a Sophomore if you are your teams best player you have to be the one scoring, or at least facilitating on your teams final possessions. Which he didn't do. He didn't touch the ball in the last three possessions when the game was on the line.(He did turn the ball over trying to go full court with 2.8 left) His game is honestly comparable to Kobe's. Now I am not saying he is Kobe or anything close, but the way he plays i.e. The fluidity of his jumper, the ability to handle, get to the basket etc. Again he is only a SO, and if he continues to improve I could honestly see him catching Tyus in class rankings. I should also say this is the first time I have seen him play, so he could have just had the game of his life...but I would recommend you all get out and see him.

Also, Delasalle has a pretty solid freshman, Jarvis Johnson. He ran the point and had a couple nice moves. Still has some growing to do and needs to get some lift on his jumper, but could see him as a solid D1 contributor, potentially high major.

I was at that game, also. Vaughn was phenomenally good. I don't blame him for not getting a touch down the stretch. That's on his teammates and coach. Nearly every time he touched it, something good happened. If I'm Cooper, I might try to get him the ball more.

i know this isn't a major service ( ex: espn, rivals, scout, etc )... but it has Vaughn #8 in the class:

http://ny2lasports.com/player_searc...r=Class of 2014&position=Position&state=State

also jones #4, okafor #1..

updated...

okafor #2, jones #7, vaughn #9:

http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=862

vaughn:

Joins Jones as part of a blue chip 1-2 punch in the state of Minnesota, Vaughn is an electric wing who can score inside and out and has the ability to finish in transition as well. Equipped with a nice long frame, solid athleticism, excellent instincts, and a skill package that includes decent handles, range beyond the arc, and an ability to score off the bounce, Vaughn could very well become the hottest story in the 2014 class over the next year as he has excellent upside and high major impact potential with continued hard work and development.

Would be awesome to get this kid!

“@GopherHole: RT @ISURecruitLists: 2014 SF Rashad Vaughn had 23 pts & 15 reb tonight per @ny2lasports w/ Minnesota's Tubby Smith & a Wisc asst in crowd”

From the Badgers board today--
VIsitors at todays game vs the Buckeyes
2013 Matt Thomas, 6-3, shooting guard, Onalaska, 3-stars

2014 Rashad Vaughan, 6-4, shooting guard, Robinsdale, Minnesota, 4-stars

Well at least they saw the skunks get beat. We need to sign Vaughn. If he goes to Madison it will really stink.

Does Vaughn have a reliable outside shot or is he more of a dunker, short J guy as the short video implies? Gophers need a $ SG from 15-23 feet.

Well at least they saw the skunks get beat. We need to sign Vaughn. If he goes to Madison it will really stink.

I'm not too worried about him going to Wisconsin. I think it's tough for Wisconsin to attract athletic players from out of state. If you like to get up and down the court, why on god's earth would you go to Madison? They even have a hard time keeping prominent, athletic players in their backyard (Vander Blue).

Does Vaughn have a reliable outside shot or is he more of a dunker, short J guy as the short video implies? Gophers need a $ SG from 15-23 feet.

He definitely prefers to shoot the jumper. Likes to pull up off the dribble from both three and mid-range. Creating space for himself and knocking down jumpers are his biggest strength. It would actually be nice if he attacked the rim a little more. Very skilled.

Thanks for the scouting report GOOTHER and very encouraging news. Tyus and Rashad, want to raise the roof at the barn?

I'm not too worried about him going to Wisconsin. I think it's tough for Wisconsin to attract athletic players from out of state. If you like to get up and down the court, why on god's earth would you go to Madison? They even have a hard time keeping prominent, athletic players in their backyard (Vander Blue).

Not saying UW is going to get Vaughn, but I think they have a shot. Yesterday was Rashad's second visit to Madison in the last few months, and he apparently stuck around for quite a while after the game to visit with the coaches and players. UW also has a couple very highly regarded recruits coming in (Sam Dekker and Bronson Koenig), who will make it easier for UW to play a little more up tempo. Bo apparently talked to Koenig about that during Bronson's recruitment. This year's UW team is lacking in offensive talent, but I think it's fair to say that the future roster looks to have quite a bit more firepower.

I've been a Tubby supporter for the last five years, but if he misses on both Jones and Vaughn then he simply has to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom