Joel Maturi

we need a wealthy donor the buy black "Fire Maturi" t shirts for the student section and encourage everyone to (have a black out)wear them to the next game with paper bags over their heads
I’ve to disagree with your approach. On the surface, it is good to embarrass the administration who will be sitting at the suite. The collateral damage outweighs the benefits. Please remember that these games are televised either regionally or nationally. You can have internal strife but you should not turn them into the soap opera. It can only increase the negative perception about the Gopher Athletic program. Much more creative ways might be sending letters to Morrill Hall. Or Set up a box where those who want changes drop the letters on the Game day. Will the Administration ignore the heat? They could. But they cannot excuse the fact that they didn’t get public sentiment. It will surely put them in tight position.

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943

I’ve to disagree with your approach. On the surface, it is good to embarrass the administration who will be sitting at the suite. The collateral damage outweighs the benefits. Please remember that these games are televised either regionally or nationally. You can have internal strife but you should not turn them into the soap opera. It can only increase the negative perception about the Gopher Athletic program. Much more creative ways might be sending letters to Morrill Hall. Or Set up a box where those who want changes drop the letters on the Game day. Will the Administration ignore the heat? They could. But they cannot excuse the fact that they didn’t get public sentiment. It will surely put them in tight position.
Prado89,

1. What some of us want is the “truth.”
2. Who was the authority which issued the order to fire Glen Mason?
a. Robert Bruininks?
b. Regents of the University of Minnesota?
c. Joel Maturi?
d. Ziggy Wilf?
e. Red McCombs?
f. Paul Tagliabue?
g. Somebody else?
3. Notice I am not asking the question, “Who delivered the message to Glen Mason that he is fired?” I am not interested in this question. We already know Joel Maturi delivered the termination notice.
4. If the “truth” is revealed, then we can finally start making inroads into cleaning house, fixing our decrepit situation, and break out of The Kessel that Joel Maturi led us into.

Prado89,

3. Notice I am not asking the question, “Who delivered the message to Glen Mason that he is fired?” I am not interested in this question. We already know Joel Maturi delivered the termination notice.
4. If the “truth” is revealed, then we can finally start making inroads into cleaning house, fixing our decrepit situation, and break out of The Kessel that Joel Maturi led us into.

Like I said before it is not about firing. It is all about hiring. Should Maturi have waited for Gary Patterson? Should have. Did he fail to hedge the risk of hiring a proven coach vs. unknown commodity? He did.
Regarding with Mason, as we may all know, he created his own downfall. I’m not going to blame anyone who decided to fire him, because Mason deserved it.
Regarding with Maturi, Bruniks deserved to shoulder that. President of the University is not directly responsible for failure of Athletic Dept. It is one of the dept., the presidents have to concern about. Thus being said, he can’t micro manage the Athletic Dept. However, the president has to hire really competent one. Maturi is definitely not one of them. Maturi ability is nothing more than bean counter. He knows that. We know that too by now. So, I do hope the new president pull the plug sooner rather than later.
How an A.D. should manage the Dept? The person must be able to tell the coaches the long term goal and short term goals. Losing to NDSU can cause irreparable damages to the program for short term. Like I said many times before, you just can’t say and think about what will happen after three years.
The best comparison I would like put is Gopher Athletic Program as ailing patient come to hospital with cuts on body. Before you do anything, you got to stop bleeding first. Regardless of other causes, the short term goal is to stop bleeding. You just can’t keep talking, planning, and envisioning about what the thing might be without doing immediate step. Failure to win the games like NMState or NDSU is the sign that they failed to stop bleeding. This is where frustrations kick in. It is called crisis management. It is simple as such.
End of the day, I would not be surprised if Maturi forget to mention that to his coaches. It is not about meddling the management of the team. As an A.D. he has to make sure that what is acceptable and what is not.

If we are to take this new President seriously, he needs to send a statement to us the fans and supporters of the program that this is completely unacceptable. He needs to take action for us to believe he cares more about winning then just the bottom line. He needs to FIRE JOEL MATURI NOW. Send a message Eric Kaler. Fire the man responsible for hiring the coach who made us the single worst D-1 program in the nation.

ACCOUNTABILITY!

The program is in shambles as is the department. Maturi is beginning to rival Matt Millen as the all-time most incompetent manager of an athletic organization. Will Kahler prove to be as dumb as the Fords and continue on with this guy? Even the Fords wised up eventually.

Home up for sale. :clap: I fear though Kaler will allow him to finish out this year and (retire) before having to make a tough decision and firing him.

Maturi and politicians are the only ones that continually screw up and don't get fired.

And whose fault is that? That is all on Joel. Charlie Strong, Lane Kiffen, Skip Holtz and others were finalists for the job Brewster landed. We were a bowl team with a new stadium on the horizon. That's Joel's fault if nobody wants to clean up the mess Mr. TE Coach left behind.

This post is a crock of BS. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone of those guys would have taken of the worst jobs in DI football. They would have been fools to do it. After 40 years of futility Brewster and Kill are the only kind of coaches willing to come to Minnesota.

This post is a crock of BS. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone of those guys would have taken of the worst jobs in DI football. They would have been fools to do it. After 40 years of futility Brewster and Kill are the only kind of coaches willing to come to Minnesota.

You have proven with the post above, that you have no brain.

1. There is no comparison between Tim Brewster and Jerry Kill

2. A team with one of the best stadiums in CFB, and a program that went to 7 bowl games in 10 years in no where close to the worst job in CFB.

3. I can understand why a competent coach would pass after meeting that uptight, small thinking, eraser counting dweem, Maturi, though.

After Dienhardt and Tom Moe left, I had a pretty good idea that trouble was coming when I saw the micro managing Iron Ranger bugging Mason and being a general annoyance on the sidelines.

The complete incompetence with respect to the expiring Mason contract leading up to 12/31/05 does not get enough press. That episode alone expains what a clown Maturdi is and was.

No, Monson was hired in 1999, Maturi was hired in 2002.

In this analysis, I’ll do it as business manner. Nothing personal. Some of things I will say might offend to some people. But it is what is.
Why do we lack success for long time?
Three words
1. Visionary
2. Strategist
3. Tactician

Let’s see the revival of UW program. How did they pull themselves from bottom dweller to respectable program?
I’ll put names in previous positions
1. Visionary Dona Shalala
2. Strategist Pat Richter
3. Tactician Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, Mike Eaves
I bet Shalala doesn’t know all the positions in football team or may not be able to distinguish hockey puck from Oreo cookie. It wasn’t an issue. She had a vision which is the UW athletic programs must be respectable and it is vital to the future of UW.
So, she hired great strategist, Pat Richter who knows what he was doing, what kind of resources he would need to achieve the vision of his boss. He was also the one who made good hires. Success of a business is not about whom you fired. It is more about who you hire. If you make good hires more than bad hires, you business will thrive. Because you can’t avoid bad hires in any form of business.
Next steps, he went out and pulled in these guys Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, Mike Eaves.
Result. The athletic program we’re witnessing today.
This structure is also happening in individual teams like football, basketball to hockey in UW program.
So people always ask me where is Shalala UW magic at the Miami. Of course, she is not doing well over there. Why? There is no Pat Richter at the Miami U. It is simple as such.
What is the University of Minnesota doing at that time? I don’t think I need to elaborate, because everyone knows.
Hope that President Eric Kaler is a Visionary. He doesn’t need to know what the coaches are doing every morning. However, he needs to make decisive decision about hiring competent AD who can restore confidante in Athletic Department. Thus being said, he should be collecting resumes right now.
When new AD arrives to campus, he may need to craft a solid strategy that should restore athletic program to respectable level.

This!

3. Tactician Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, Mike Eaves

Maturi was all set to hire Bo Ryan at Denver but was overruled.

Eaves was a two-time All-American at Wisconsin...don't exactly need a vision to hire an alum who at the time was head coach of the U.S. national development team. Kind of a no-brainer. That said, Eaves resume' pales in comparison to Lucia's. Lucia won two national titles, Eaves won one without ever leaving the state of Wisconsin for regionals or the Frozen Four...the next year he missed the ncaa tournament completely.

Let's all hope Eric Kaler is the president we think he is. Any qualified person let's Maturi go and hires the kind of AD we need. I have high hopes. Life would be good.

Is this the week?

Is this the week Joel Maturi does the correct thing for the University of Minnesota and resign?

Top Bottom