Joel Maturi

Gopher4life15

SKI-U-MAH!
Reaction score
If he had any balls, he would resign tonight. It is under his watch we have had the worst D-1 Football program in the NCAA.

I hope the new President sends a message and fires his ass!

If he had any balls, he would resign tonight. It is under his watch we now have the worst D-1 Football program in the NCAA.

I hope the new President sends a message and fires his ass!

We've been the worse since last year.

Maturi and Brewster are the reasons for this disaster, there needs to be some accountability for Maturi. We need a new Athletic Department leader with a plan and a vision.

Joel

Wow, that was a really bad pass he through in 4th quarter. For sure he should be fired:confused:

People still want to give Maturi credit for stumbling onto Kill? Maybe it could be he stumbled onto him because we went cheap again (which is Maturi's fault to begin with because of the Mason and Brewster contract blunders)

Every program is underperforming right now. Hard not to look at the leader of the department.

There is certainly more than enough blame to go around when it comes to the status of the football program. Having said that, it has become quite clear that Maturi has had a major hand in this mess. His hiring of Brewster ranks right up there as one of the absolute worst hiring decisions the athletic department has ever made. The man proved to be nothing more than a slick talking buffoon.

Looking at things now, I'm not sure coach Kill realized how much damage Brewster did while he was here. And unfortunately for Kill, he now not only has to repair this team one brick at a time, he's also got an AD who had a major hand in blowing up the program in the first place.

I like Kill alot and I think he's got as good a chance as anybody in getting the team back to respectibility. But having to shoulder part of Maturi's incompetence with Brewster is an added pressure that will make it tougher.

Not sure why NDSU's band was a) here, and b) allowed to play at halftime, and at the end of the game. Is this sportsmanship and being friendly? I thought it was an embrassment.

But hey, our money-making cross-country teams both finished, I think, 5th in the big meet today? Awesome. Joel will very proudly point this out.

Every program is underperforming right now. Hard not to look at the leader of the department.

Great point. I'm not going to hit him on the Kill hire because I still have faith Kill will make us respectable in a few years. But for as bad as EVERY one of our programs is struggling something needs to be done. For God's sake, break some NCAA rules or something. At least we'd have a good team to be excited about for awhile lol. Okay not really but that's about what it's come down to for us to become relevant again unless something changes quick

Maturi has now had a hand in hiring two football coaches that have achieved

embarrassing losses to NDSU twice, South Dakota and the 55-0 thrashing by Iowa where they took down the goal post in the Gopher stadium.
He will not resign but he should. I would have to much pride to know, that my hiring decision played a role in and had a hand in these losses and this
damage to the football program. I would care to much, to not continue to hurt the program.

Most leaders and people of influence in leadership position's do not keep there jobs when these things continue to happen.
They especially do not continue to have the trust from there bosses, and get to continue making these type of hiring decisions.
Maturi did not throw any interceptions tonight but the decisions he has made on and off the field have played a role in these debacles
continuing to happen. I believe Joel Maturi is a decent and honorable man, balances the budgets does all of the work that nobody else want's to do but
his judgement in hiring football coaches has been flat terrible so far.

People still want to give Maturi credit for stumbling onto Kill? Maybe it could be he stumbled onto him because we went cheap again (which is Maturi's fault to begin with because of the Mason and Brewster contract blunders)

Credit?

Our greatest opportunity to turn this program around was to spend the money to hire a proven FBS head coach and have him in place for the opening of TCF Bank Stadium. I don't know if it was Maturi or the administration saying we couldn't afford to pay a quality coach and continue to pay Mason, but we went the cheap route and hired Brewster. As a result, we have had losses to FCS schools and empty seats in the Bank. We squandered that great opportunity and will never get it back.

What really gets me is that he fired Mason while having no clue as to who he was going to hire as his replacement. By his own admission he had never heard of the Bronco's TE coach prior to his search to hire a coach. Can you imagine GE sacking their CEO and a few months later hiring someone the board had never heard of?

The job of the AD is to keep a list of five people where mutual interest exists in your revenue-generating programs. Joel didn't do that with Brewster. This is magnified by the fact the new coach was getting a new stadium. Once-in-a-lifetime chance to use that to entice a coach and you end up with someone you had never heard of before you let go of the existing coach? Don't even get me started on how he had extended Mason the previous year and stated, "I finally feel like I hired my coach".

I don't blame Brewster for this mess. What's he supposed to do, decline the million-dollar job? I blame the man who hired him.

B.S.

Nobody wanted this job. The only coach offered the job was Jerry Kill because everybody else didn't want it.

Our greatest opportunity to turn this program around was to spend the money to hire a proven FBS head coach and have him in place for the opening of TCF Bank Stadium. I don't know if it was Maturi or the administration saying we couldn't afford to pay a quality coach and continue to pay Mason, but we went the cheap route and hired Brewster. As a result, we have had losses to FCS schools and empty seats in the Bank. We squandered that great opportunity and will never get it back.

Outside of Mike Leach, who wanted the job? Plus would you rather have a proven guy who got fired from a job or someone that has built a program everywhere he has been. I would take Kill over and over again.

B.S.

Nobody wanted this job. The only coach offered the job was Jerry Kill because everybody else didn't want it.

And whose fault is that? That is all on Joel. Charlie Strong, Lane Kiffen, Skip Holtz and others were finalists for the job Brewster landed. We were a bowl team with a new stadium on the horizon. That's Joel's fault if nobody wants to clean up the mess Mr. TE Coach left behind.

Outside of Mike Leach, who wanted the job? Plus would you rather have a proven guy who got fired from a job or someone that has built a program everywhere he has been. I would take Kill over and over again.

Great points. Sad thing is, if Kill can't get it done, three years from now we are going to have to close our eyes and swing for the fences with a Dave Kingman hire and roll with a Mike Leach. At that point it will be 8 years in a row of futility and an empty second deck. I hope for the next AD's sake Coach Kill gets it done so he/she doesn't have to hire an alleged sadist, who hopefully learned from his mistakes.

And whose fault is that? That is all on Joel. Charlie Strong, Lane Kiffen, Skip Holtz and others were finalists for the job Brewster landed. We were a bowl team with a new stadium on the horizon. That's Joel's fault if nobody wants to clean up the mess Mr. TE Coach left behind.

+1

Maturi doesn't deserve this job, football is big business and he failed.

Time will tell if things work out with Kill and I believe he'll do it although it just got a lot tougher. Even if he does turn things around, that blundering idiot Maturi had nothing to do with it. Maturi backed into Kill after getting rejected god knows how many times! If Kill succeeds it's not because joel knew who to pick. If you give someone enough darts, they'll eventually hit the target. Getting lucky (assuming Kill makes us a winner) is not a reason to keep Joel.

Maturi didn't lose the game last night. People with less skill but who we're better coached and played with more personal responsibility and more heart won.

hey smart guy. he was talking about when mason was fired in january 2007 and brewster was hired to replace him. not when jerry kill was hired in 2011. reading comprehension is fun!

The Kessel, 19 November 1942 - 31 January 1943

Maturi didn't lose the game last night. People with less skill but who we're better coached and played with more personal responsibility and more heart won.
givetheballtodarrell,
1. As I have sadly stated in a previous post, in the annals of NCAA Division 1A athletic directors, Joel Maturi’s leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the University of Minnesota revenue sports programs begs comparison and runs parallel with Herr GeneralfeldMarschall Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst Paulus’ leadership, decision making, and stewardship of the much vaunted German Sixth Army.
2. Paulus suffered from fatal character flaws. His unwillingness or inability to defy Hitler’s idiotic orders to attack Stalingrad prematurely was then followed with an even weaker display of character through failing to protect his remaining troops in The Kessel (19 November 1942 – 31 January 1943) by breaking out of the Kessel. It meant defying Hitler’s idiotic order to hold Stalingrad at all cost. The result was total decimation of the German Sixth Army, which started out with some 300,000 troops of which only 6,000 survived the war.
3. In the case of the University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics (or whatever they are called today), it matters little whether the idiotic order to fire Glen Mason came from Robert Bruininks, The Regents of the University of Minnesota, or whether this was a brain f@rt specially conjured up by Joel Maturi himself. What matters are the results. The results remind me of dropping ordnance on our own troops and killing them through “friendly fire.” We fragged ourselves through this horrible display of leadership.
4. Paulus likely would have been courts martialed by Hitler and probably executed for breaking out of “The Kessel,” but he would have saved tens of thousands of good German soldiers. A good leader puts the interests of those under his / her charge ahead of his / her own personal interests. In Paulus’ case, he made two bad decisions, the first agreeing to prematurely attack Stalingrad, followed by an even worse one which would seal the fate of the German Sixth Army.
5. Our 37 – 24 loss last night is another monument to Joel Maturi’s horrible decision making, and his failure to hold himself accountable for the irreparable damage he has perpetrated on University of Minnesota revenue sports. If Robert Bruininks or The Regents of the University of Minnesota ordered Joel Maturi to fire Glen Mason, then Joel should have had the character to stand up to them, refuse the order, and tender his own resignation in protest. If the decision to fire Glen Mason was Joel Maturi’s and Joel’s alone, he should have resigned before he fired Tim Brewster, in acknowledgement of his own personal mistakes. He did neither.
6. I don’t blame Tim Brewster like other people on this board do. He took the opportunity to earn 7 figures Joel handed him on a silver platter. Tim did not make a decision to be a poor football coach. He made a decision to become a millionaire.
7. Thank God Joel did not go through ROTC at Notre Dame and did not lead men in battle in Vietnam.

There are a lot of obvious issues on defense .... which is nothing new. There were obvious issues on defense under Mason and under Brewster too. Simply put, the Gophers don't have the horses to play winning defensive football.

Kill's been successful elsewhere, sometimes in situations which were worse than what he's inherited at Minnesota.

I don't blame Brewster for this mess. What's he supposed to do, decline the million-dollar job? I blame the man who hired him.

Exactly. Not sure why everyone blames Brew. He tried his best, worked hard all of the time, and ran a clean program. If he had done something illegal or didn't work hard, you can blame Brew. The failure of the team during Brew's tenure - resulting in the loss of millions of dollars in potential revenue - can fall on one man, and one man only.

In this analysis, I’ll do it as business manner. Nothing personal. Some of things I will say might offend to some people. But it is what is.
Why do we lack success for long time?
Three words
1. Visionary
2. Strategist
3. Tactician

Let’s see the revival of UW program. How did they pull themselves from bottom dweller to respectable program?
I’ll put names in previous positions
1. Visionary Dona Shalala
2. Strategist Pat Richter
3. Tactician Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, Mike Eaves
I bet Shalala doesn’t know all the positions in football team or may not be able to distinguish hockey puck from Oreo cookie. It wasn’t an issue. She had a vision which is the UW athletic programs must be respectable and it is vital to the future of UW.
So, she hired great strategist, Pat Richter who knows what he was doing, what kind of resources he would need to achieve the vision of his boss. He was also the one who made good hires. Success of a business is not about whom you fired. It is more about who you hire. If you make good hires more than bad hires, you business will thrive. Because you can’t avoid bad hires in any form of business.
Next steps, he went out and pulled in these guys Barry Alvarez, Bo Ryan, Mike Eaves.
Result. The athletic program we’re witnessing today.
This structure is also happening in individual teams like football, basketball to hockey in UW program.
So people always ask me where is Shalala UW magic at the Miami. Of course, she is not doing well over there. Why? There is no Pat Richter at the Miami U. It is simple as such.
What is the University of Minnesota doing at that time? I don’t think I need to elaborate, because everyone knows.
Hope that President Eric Kaler is a Visionary. He doesn’t need to know what the coaches are doing every morning. However, he needs to make decisive decision about hiring competent AD who can restore confidante in Athletic Department. Thus being said, he should be collecting resumes right now.
When new AD arrives to campus, he may need to craft a solid strategy that should restore athletic program to respectable level.

we need a wealthy donor the buy black "Fire Maturi" t shirts for the student section and encourage everyone to (have a black out)wear them to the next game with paper bags over their heads

Top Bottom