Gordy Shaw to coach O-line at Hawaii

good for gordy. I thought he got a gig at South Dakota. Did I hear wrong?

Hawaii will be national champions within three years because of this hire. Write it down.

It's quite difficult to tell whether you're being sarcastic or not, but if you aren't...

I will wager any amount you want against that bet. In fact, I will even change it to 50 years if you want.

I believe he was the OC at University of South Dakota last season and will be moving to this new position.

I am curious what all the ill-words and hatred are towards Gordie Shaw? I thought he was an excellent coach who did wonders for this team and I was sad to see him leave when Brewster got hired.

Shaw was a very good O-line coach, but an overall egotistical Jerk! His way or no way, if he liked a kid he was great, if he didn't, it made no difference if the kid could play or not. Didn't listen to HS coaches unless he liked them.

I believe he was the OC at University of South Dakota last season and will be moving to this new position.

I am curious what all the ill-words and hatred are towards Gordie Shaw? I thought he was an excellent coach who did wonders for this team and I was sad to see him leave when Brewster got hired.

Gordy burned his bridges with the Gophers. I know for sure that he publicly bad-mouthed the current coaching staff, some players, and the program in several different spots (suite at Gopher game, WCCO post-game call-in show, Joe Sensor's Sports Bar during a gamewatch while he was under the influence of alcohol, etc.)

Some reports had him as a poster on here. If it was him, then it is sad really. He ripped everything about the program. I always thought it was not him as he was at USD and how could he have time to post on here?

Some reports had him calling high school prospects and telling them not to attend Minnesota. Again, I don't know if that is true or not.

So, that's why there is ill-will amongst the loyalists.

This has been hashed and re-hashed, though, so I even hesitate to bring it back into the fold, but since you asked, that's the deal.

O-line coach

I thought it was written on here in the past that Mitch Browning did as much O-line coaching as O-coordinating. So what did this guy even do?

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, why do we care about a co-offensive line coach that was here 3 years ago!!!!!!!

tjg, my sentiments exactly...whether you liked him or not, he is gone, let it go, please. thank you.

I thought it was written on here in the past that Mitch Browning did as much O-line coaching as O-coordinating. So what did this guy even do?

Shaw only worked with centers and guards.

tjg, my sentiments exactly...whether you liked him or not, he is gone, let it go, please. thank you.

You could avoid threads with Shaw in the title? Couldn't you?

Some people don't want to let it go when someone betrays a program (and the players he recruited and coached) that treated them very, very well through multiple head coaches. 99 percent of coaches in Shaw's position when Mason took over in 1997 would've been looking for another job. He was fortunate then and had a good 15-16 year run with the Gophers.

I am convinced that SOB used to post here before he went to SD. The timing was perfect. I can't remember his handles or anything but he kept getting booted and coming back. Then it just stopped around the spring of '08 when he would have taken off for Sturgis or wherever that college is. We used to just rip and rip on him- calling him every name in the book. Some posts were so bad that I was surprised the guy just didn't go bury himself in a hole.

Anyway, he really hated Brewster because Brew apparently kept him on to keep the '07 class together and then canned him afterwards. Then Shaw was expelled from a skybox or something where there were high school football coaches because he was getting into it with Scanlan of CDH about how awful Brewster was. I'm sure I'm butchering that story.

Sorry to rehash this all but as Maximus said, this is a Gordy Shaw thread!

I love that you think there's a college in Sturgis.

Vermillion.

But you were only about 425 miles off or so.

Once you're in a hole does it really matter how far from the center you are.

For those wanting to let it go, I agree, but the thread is about him and his new position. Good for him on the new position, but from everything I have been informed of, he definitely burnt his bridges here!

Bill Mallory

For those of you who are real interested, the main moniker used was "Bill Mallory". Whether that was SHAW or not, hard to say, but you can check the archive and form your own opinion.

Gordy = a jerk = who cares.

Here's a news flash for some people:

College football coaches are world-class a$$holes. Pricks on a galactic level. If the average person in the stands knew how their team's coaching staff acts and speaks when out of the public view, they would never buy another ticket. I sometimes tell the story of my friend who was captain at an SEC team that won a national championship. He says he gets cold sweats at night thinking of running into his head coach again. He hates him with a perfect hatred. I could give you multiple stories like this.

So Gordy is, humanly speaking, a piece of $hit? Who cares. This makes him utterly normal for his job. Nice coaches almost always suck. Ever hear a former player get emotional about how much they loved Paterno or Osborn? Ever wonder why?

Nice

Gordie gets the last laugh. He will love the weather, the pace, and the food.

College football coaches are world-class a$$holes. Pricks on a galactic level. If the average person in the stands knew how their team's coaching staff acts and speaks when out of the public view, they would never buy another ticket.

Having met a few HCs and assistant coaches over the years in casual situations, I tend to agree with you Studwell. I'd never make a blanket statement, but I've always been struck about how these guys have such high opinions of themselves over their ability to blow a whistle and discuss the intracacies of defensive backfield technique.

In fairness though, these guys all love the game and have egos that are sufficient (and then some) to rise through the ranks of calling plays at a D-III school to becoming a position coach at a bigger program and hopefully parlaying that into a HC job at a D-I school.

But yeah, most of them are pr*cks.

Last laugh?

Hardly. I hope he is getting paid a Million per year. The cost of living is astronomical, a beer costs about 7 bucks. Milk? forget it cheaper to buy a cow. Not everybody wants to live in a place like that. I lived in Hot climes for 9 years and couldn't wait to get out, I like 4 seasons and the ability to be somewhere else in two hours by car, and not have to fly to go anywhere. Good riddance, to bad trash.

Gordie gets the last laugh. He will love the weather, the pace, and the food.

I'm sure he'll also love the $1800 monthly payment for a one bedroom 600 square foot studio apartment. That is, unless he wants to live in a nicer section of town. Then you can just about double it.

GORDY SHOWED HIS REAL CHARACTER...when he became bitter and said stupid, outrageous things when he was let go with the rest of the Mason staff. He thought he was above getting canned like every coach does sooner or later. Having said that, I think he was an effective coach in teaching the game. Hawaii is expensive, but it a great place to enjoy life. Ask June Jones.

Shaw the Teacher

For what it's worth, the guy is an a-hole but I know some guys who took his class at the U and loved him. He taught "Football" and essentially just let things run wild while he chewed the fat with the students.

"love that you think there's a college in Sturgis. Vermillion. But you were only about 425 miles off or so."

There's more than one city in South Dakota?

Good riddance Gordy Shaw, leader of young men.

"love that you think there's a college in Sturgis. Vermillion. But you were only about 425 miles off or so."

There's more than one city in South Dakota?

Good riddance Gordy Shaw, leader of young men.

Well, depending upon whose definition you consult; I would say that there's really only one city in SD - Sioux Falls. But for those of us who grew up there (like me, who graduated in a class of 12), anything bigger than 5,000 is a "city".

Top Bottom