Brewster Announces Hiring of Hightower to Wide Receiver Post

I like it!

The more coaches assosciated with programs like Texas the better. It sure beats hiring coaches from the UW system schools like Meyer.

Sounds like another Texas connection for recruiting purposes. Maybe the NFL experience on his resume will open doors to Florida also. I can't say I've heard much about him otherwise but I wish him the best of luck with the gophs. He should have a pretty nice stable of receivers to work with.:eek:

The more coaches assosciated with programs like Texas the better. It sure beats hiring coaches from the UW system schools like Meyer.

You mean UW system coaches like Hammock, Davis, Lee and Cosgrove?

tjgopher,

You had the call on this one, any inside scoop on him? Just curious as to why you had him pegged.

Not the most impressive resume'. Go from a guy who was an OC at a MAC school to someone who's never even been a full-time position coach.

Not the most impressive resume'. Go from a guy who was an OC at a MAC school to someone who's never even been a full-time position coach.

Don't forget Fisch, the new OC, who has very strong NFL wide receivers coaching experience will be overseeing and I'm sure advising and helping.

I think its a brilliant hire!

I like guys like this. Not a great talent as a player, had to work hard and learn all techniques to play big time football. Many times these guys really understand the game and how to teach and become better coaches than superstars. I can't wait to see what happens.

Love the hire!

Texas connections - Texas recruits...especially in the Houston area where we already are making great inroads.

Plus, you got to love a guy that walks on to one of the best college football programs in america and earns his scholarship on special teams. Three year letter winner as a walk on.

He has a great story to tell!

I like guys like this. Not a great talent as a player, had to work hard and learn all techniques to play big time football. Many times these guys really understand the game and how to teach and become better coaches than superstars. I can't wait to see what happens.

We can speculate all we want, but I guess we will have to wait and see. The results will tell no matter what we think.

Houston, the gateway to Louisiana....

Well we can hope anyway. Houston alone is worth it, but it would be nice to pull a few players out of Louisiana.

If he can recruit Houston he will be worth it. I also like the idea he was not a gifted natural athlete but had to work hard to make a good team like Texas. What will happen with Florida now?

I see the point but as long as the guy can recruit what the hell.

I'm really disappointed it wasn't Ron Johnson...:rolleyes:

Who cares about Texas? We need to make sure we get someone with local recruiting contacts so they can lock down that 1-star FB from Albert Lea, or that diamond-in-the-rough S from Hermantown.

My sarcasm alert just went off.

i have a feeling if Ron Johnson were truly committed to the craft of coaching he would be somewhere doing it. He's more than qualified at some level. It's just a hunch, but I'm not sure the 24/7 lifestyle agrees with his current life situation.

Note: I think Ron Johnson could potentially make an excellent coach...someday. But any notion that he is ready, right now, to be a Big Ten WR coach is ridiculous.

I know nothing about Hightower, but he does have some coaching experience, and is still very young. I have an inherent personal bias towards youth in coaches, but that is moreso a result of growing weary of retreads than anything else. And I think Hightower has just about the right amount of experience to be ready for a job like this.

It is most definitely the next step for hightower. He's not jumping steps to take this job. So in that sense it's right. I would prefer a little more experience with an inexperienced OC though. But maybe the dynamics, for something new and exciting as I sense Brew wants to build will be better this way. Brew's an O guy and as such I think he has a vision that maybe he sacrificed in the name of experience (Dunbar). I have a feeling picking an up and comer for an OC and a guy youthful enough to accept being mentored by Brew and Fisch as a position coach, and structuring around the backbone of Davis is just perfect, albeit risky. But isn't that brew's true nature. plus it's a more exciting concept. I think it will work, but may take time to gel. hopefully there is time. Let's hope it doesn't blow up.

It is most definitely the next step for hightower. He's not jumping steps to take this job. So in that sense it's right. I would prefer a little more experience with an inexperienced OC though. But maybe the dynamics, for something new and exciting as I sense Brew wants to build will be better this way. Brew's an O guy and as such I think he has a vision that maybe he sacrificed in the name of experience (Dunbar). I have a feeling picking an up and comer for an OC and a guy youthful enough to accept being mentored by Brew and Fisch as a position coach, and structuring around the backbone of Davis is just perfect, albeit risky. But isn't that brew's true nature. plus it's a more exciting concept. I think it will work, but may take time to gel. hopefully there is time. Let's hope it doesn't blow up.

Schnoodler - that has been my feeling about the Brewster/Dunbar dynamic for a while now, and you put it perfectly. Brewster is definitely not taking the safe road here to wait a couple of years for everything to develop. I just hope he is right that Hightower can recruit. A lot is going to depend on what magic Davis can work with the O-line - but at least with a year together the OL guys should be ready an primed to show what they can do.:D

Top Bottom