anyone else think dunbar gone after bowl?

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
now that he is an over-paid passing coordinator, it seems like he will probably be gone next season. will we hire a new full OC, who has control of the running game as well as the passing game, or do we hire some kind of WR coach/passing coordinator since it looks like mcdonald (i think he is thw WR coach)will probably be gone next year too.

i really like tulsa's offense, top ten in running and passing. they have co-offensive coordinators. herb hand the o-line coach and gus malzhan is the assistant HC--he would make a good OC.

i think the writing is on the wall for dunbar's exit.

We know Dunbar didn't have the tools to make it work this year. It's not really in dispute. The crux of the problem has been addressed. The only question to me is if Dunbar is onboard with the tweeking of his scheme or not. If he is, I don't think they change, but if he's unhappy I see him bailing as soon as he has somewhere else to go.

When the line plays well the offense looked good. The problem was getting consistency. We put up a lot of points and moved the ball in 07 with a good line. If not for all of the turnovers and the overmatched D the offense was good enough to win a lot more than 1 game.

I don't see us leaving the spread. We are recruiting athletes that can make the spread work and everyone the spread is one of the reasons they are coming. If we were to change the system so suddenly we would risk losing current commits and maybe seeing guys like Gray transfer to a system that will better utilize his skills. That would put the program back in its rebuilding process.

Right, I don't see us abandoning the spread either. But Dunbar has said he doesn't run a true spread, more of a hybrid. And he seems 100% committed to his ideas, I'm not sure he'd compromise the integrity of his scheme. So maybe, he will be unhappy and Brew will need someone else.

I don't think he will be fired this season. They will use the offensive line and running game as the scapegoat and that problem has been addressed with the new OL coach/running game coordinator.

If the offense struggles next year, I think Dunbar will be gone after next season.

I don't think Dunbar's role has changed

He will still call the plays and scheme the offense each week. The only tweak I see is that he may work with Davis on designing some running plays but I doubt Dunbar's role has diminished in any way. Its not like he was the running back coach or line coach and now he's not.

I don't see Dunbar getting fired after the bowl game. Why would you hire an o-line coach before hiring an o-coordinator?

I think Dunbar is around as long as he wants. Say what you want about it wasn't the the coaches that moved early, etc, but penalties are as much coaching as the players. It reflects the level of concentration, discipline, and aggression. Of the three reasons only a reasonable amount of aggression penalties are acceptable. The O line needs to develop the knid of aggression the defense did under Roof. The O line had NO swagger to it this year. We would be 11-1 right now if the line had played with a tude. I like playing out of both sets. You add to the confusion of the D. You pass out of the power formations and run out of the spread. What is common is that it all starts up front. Our line was very young and at least (maybe more) a year away from gelling and having adult football bodies. Outside of Tavale and Alford they were 30 pounds under weight for a 'dominant BT line.' A lot can happen in a few weeks with young men hungary to win. I expect to have a difficult time recognizing our O line as early as the bowl game. I would suspect that Dunbar could very well love this change. This year had to be very frustrating for him.

"I would suspect that Dunbar could very well love this change". Interesting point diehard.

Dunbar was hired to be the OC, not 1/2 OC. He had both the reins and now he is sharing one or a part of one. Willingly or is being force fed. Dunbar has been around and has coached football a long time. Is Sara Spread all he knows? Why did Brewster have to hire from the outside to install a ground attack other than what is used with Sara. Did Dunbar tell Brewster he needed to hire someone else to put in running plays from different formations as all he feels comfortable with is Sara? I find that hard to believe. Brewster has been around as well and knows about power football, iso, pro set, trap blocks, zone blocking, etc.

My take is that Brew needed to dangle the carrot to get Davis and take some from Dunbar to get his man. Plus I have posted many times here that I am surprised that Brewster has gone 100% Sara Spread as deep down he believe in a tough, aggressive, take no prisoner approach to football. He found one like him with Roof and now Davis. Dunbar doesn't fit in.

Two things will happen. We do well with the new approach and Dunbar stays or we continue to struggle and Dunbar goes after 09. I don't think that is rocket science stuff.

I do think if it was not for Dunbar's contract he probably would have been gone. I still think things may work out with having him next year. I wouldn't mind if we get Norm Chow but that's not going to happen.

It's at the very least a subtle message. Coach Brewster has been vocal about wanting to be more physical, wanting to challange the offensive line, gone for it on 4th down. He wants to be large and in charge up front. And he has said he doesn't like fat football players. When he mentioned earlier about body fat by position I was shocked. It ranged from the 7% range for DB's and Wide Recievers up to nearly 20 percent for linemen. Coach Hill needs to adress this. Big is one thing, powerful is another. Give me the latter.

And the idea of a physical spread, think of the pasting we got from Toledo or Missouri's spread. Oh, yeah same guy Gary Pinkle.

But with Davis's background at USC, they had, have a pretty good idea of spreading the field and smashing you in the mouth. I welcome the latter.

has Dunbar...

been playing, blocking, fumbling? Give the guy some credit, he has proven himself and will not be getting fired.

I agree, I don't see how Brewster can dump him, at least not yet, when he's used the spread
as a recruiting tool to increase our team speed on the offensive side of the ball. That would be
a definite downer for those skill players he's already brought in and could hurt his future credibility
in attracting more speedy skill recruits. Gotta make it work.

If they made a change there would be an immediate replacement to conserve the recruiting. I think what looks like rash decisions are well orchestrated changes. Brew probably had the Davis change in place well before we ever caught wind of it.

Let's wait to see what happens...

We're all speculating and guessing here. We don't know how or if any roles will change, beyond a new OL coach with an interesting title. I think there are lots of ways this could go from here.

I know it's fun to speculate, but let's see what Brewster does and how the "battle" goes, before we start burying any bodies.

We're all speculating and guessing here. We don't know how or if any roles will change, beyond a new OL coach with an interesting title. I think there are lots of ways this could go from here.

I know it's fun to speculate, but let's see what Brewster does and how the "battle" goes, before we start burying any bodies.

I agree. The title could be nothing more than Brew trying to say he's addressed our two major shortcomings. In reality it may be fairly meaningless in practice.

I don't see Dunbar getting fired after the bowl game. Why would you hire an o-line coach before hiring an o-coordinator?

Because a coordinator worth picking up is probably coaching a team currently set for a bowl game, thus hiring him after their season is over so he can leave respectfully.

The Gophers lost their last 4 games, do you really think Davis was contacted after the fourth loss -- or was the ball maybe rolling when the problem was already known to be out of control a few weeks back?

dunbar was hired to be our offensive coordinator, but now this new guy is the line coach/running coordinator. that last part used to be dunbar's domain--he was the running coordinator, just didn't get called it because he had other responsibilities too. but now the responsibilities of coordinating the running game have been taken from dunbar and given to the new guy. i think brewster did that for a reason, and that reason is for dunbar to do the same thing meyers did after the season is done. either that or stay in an embarrassing position where he has been stripped of half his responsibilities.

It would depend on who we play, and how we do, in the bowl game. Does anybody here remember thinking (before the kick-off) that Mase's job was on the line vs. Texas Tech? If we get embarrassed by a MAC team, he'll be gone. If he has the same type of year next year, I'm not so sure that Brewster's job would be safe. Bad economy ... bad team ... new stadium ...
not a good combination. I hope and pray that I'm 100% wrong.

Dunbar is just finishing up the second year of a lucrative 3-yr deal. I doubt Joel Maturi is in any mood to buyout another contract. Dunbar isn't going anywhere. He will still call plays and have control over the offense.

Top Bottom