Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyus is a must get recruit, I hope Tubby is on his "A" game with Tyus and family from here on out.

Jerry Holman

That is a better comparison. Especially both being lefty's. I think Washington's ceiling is much higher as he seems to have the quickness to play away from the basket also.

Idk much about washington, but from watching him play he reminds me of RSIII. just not as big, not quite as skilled, but certainly more aggressive on the boards, and in the paint. Hopefully he has pride in his homeschool

RSIII doesnt seem to be very athletic. Not sure what his verticle of foot quickness is? Washington could be a very athletic player at the 4 with a little muscle added.

I hope nobody reads this as any type of negative post about Tyus, and I know that passing in not as exciting to watch on a highlight reel as shooting is, but I would have liked to see a display of his point guard talents rather than a shooting video. My unofficial count was 27 shots shown and 5 assists.

Oh lawdy how I would love to see him in M&G.

Chris Monter Q&A: Tyus Jones Attracts A Crowd At Open Gym

Local high school teams should be even more nervous when they face Apple Valley this year. Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 sophomore point guard, has grown another inch and now is dunking the basketball with ease. GopherHole.com watched Jones play at Lakeville South in a fall league Saturday morning and Sunday night at an open gym at Apple Valley High along with four high major college assistant coaches. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1490

I know its a few years away still, but I just have a bad feeling about this. I hope he is a Gopher and that Gophers make some nice runs to kind of help convince him. He'd really be a program changer of huge proportions based on early reviews. It'd be pretty exciting for him to come here.

However, at this point he does seem to really like the "big-name" programs. Maybe that will change in a few years, but I am nervous about Duke and MSU.

I just hope he sees Kris Humphries and realizes the only two universities to produce Mr. Kardashians are Minnesota and Rhode Island. Let's see Duke claim that one!

Dave Telep: Sophomore PG Tyus Jones will be special

This is an ESPN Insider article which I don't have a subscription to, but it does give a tease about the Apple Valley sophomore:

"I had a chance to sit down with Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) last weekend in Colorado Springs. Going into camp, I thought Jones was the best pure point guard in high school basketball and he did little to change my impression. Jones was the second-youngest player in the entire camp but after Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), he’s the most mature. Jones is an intelligent kid on and off the court and that’s vital to the position he plays. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to be a floor general in college and beyond. He samples from my all-time favorite PG, Chris Paul, and like CP3, Jones is a thinking man’s pass-first point guard who is introspective. He’s so much more mature than his age and his game follows suit. Mentally, this kid is at such a high level you know he’s going to be elite for a long time."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dav...slug_=sophomore-pg-tyus-jones-will-be-special

Go Gophers!!

Jones is a special sophomore

I had a chance to sit down with Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) last weekend in Colorado Springs. Going into camp, I thought Jones was the best pure point guard in high school basketball and he did little to change my impression. Jones was the second-youngest player in the entire camp but after Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), he’s the most mature. Jones is an intelligent kid on and off the court and that’s vital to the position he plays. There’s no doubt in my mind he’s going to be a floor general in college and beyond. He samples from my all-time favorite PG, Chris Paul, and like CP3, Jones is a thinking man’s pass-first point guard who is introspective. He’s so much more mature than his age and his game follows suit. Mentally, this kid is at such a high level you know he’s going to be elite for a long time.

Jones is a program-changer. Former Wake Forest coach Skip Prosser once said that he hands Paul the ball to start the game and he’s comfortable Paul will hand it back to him in good shape following the game; Jones is the same way. Honestly, there may be only five programs in college basketball Jones couldn’t start for now. His skill in running a team, making players better and being an extension of the coach -- which is a gift that is rarely replicated.

During the fall period, I was surprised to learn just how few head coaches came in to see him. In Jones’ words, a lot of assistants buzzed his gym but only Michigan State’s Tom Izzo, Minnesota’s Tubby Smith and Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg were the lone head coaches to see him. Honestly, that’s a little mind-boggling. I get it, he’s a sophomore but in my opinion, he’s capable of creating championship expectations on the college level. Jones has offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette, Michigan State, Arizona, Baylor, Ohio State and Providence. Duke hasn’t offered yet but the Blue Devils are going to factor into this equation before it’s all said and done. Jones will visit Ohio State unofficially Nov. 5.

The point guard is the most valuable position in college basketball. Want proof? Look at the Final Four and national championship teams over history. College basketball does not and won't have a glut of great point guards the next few years. Jones, who makes guys around him better, is special and to think he has three more years of high school remaining is scary.

If Tubby's still around then, a "must get" no matter who else has Jones on their radar. Gotta' keep the truly elite talents like this in state. Certainly wouldn't hurt Gopher program to show something significant in the meantime, i.e. B1G regular season success (something along the lines of top 3 and/or 12-6 +) and/or NCAA tourney success (multiple wins).

"must get" what a joke

i'm sick of hearing gopher fans say that an in-state talent is a must get. Look at the top players in the nation this year, most of them have left their state, the top player in california went to Arizona, the top player in Tx is going to Duke, top player in New Jersey is going to UCLA, NV to Arizona, Arkansas to Kentucky and so on. Tyus Jones will likely be at least a top 5 point guard, that means he likely can go to any school in the country he wants, will he pick the Gophers, I hope so, but to say they he is must get just because he lives within our borders is rediculous. Don't set yourself up for the letdown, instead say that we may have a chance at a top player.

Now, I'm not one of those types to argue that the in-state Big Ten school needs to get every top-100 or top-50 recruit in-state. But based on the ratings from the past couple years, Jones is the first national top-10ish recruit to come out of Minnesota in several years (Royce's consensus ranking was #31). You've got to get those top-10 guys when they only come around so rarely and you're not getting any from anywhere else.

"Honestly, there may be only five programs in college basketball Jones couldn’t start for now."

I find that a little hard to believe.

"Honestly, there may be only five programs in college basketball Jones couldn’t start for now."

I find that a little hard to believe.
Clearly(despite the word "Honestly") an exaggeration. He is a very good player already, that likely could step up and start for a lot of teams, including ours I think.

Now, I'm not one of those types to argue that the in-state Big Ten school needs to get every top-100 or top-50 recruit in-state. But based on the ratings from the past couple years, Jones is the first national top-10ish recruit to come out of Minnesota in several years (Royce's consensus ranking was #31). You've got to get those top-10 guys when they only come around so rarely and you're not getting any from anywhere else.

I know it sounds ridiculous. Trust me, I have been as skeptical as can be about the hyperbole.

But it's not that crazy. He's INCREDIBLY good.

. ... Don't set yourself up for the letdown, instead say that we may have a chance at a top player.

Respectfully, if the Gophers are still hovering around 7th or 8th in the B1G pecking order when it's time for Jones to make his college decision, the Gopher program is certainly going to need a (positive) jolt. Losing Jones to NC, MSU, Duke, etc., wouldn't exactly send out a great message about the state of the program. Hey, I consider myself a Tubby guy, but it's guys like Jones where Tubby has to earn his salary. Programs from states like California, Texas, etc., have a few more elite players to choose from if they miss out on the state's top guy(s). Minnesota. ... not so much.

A lot of programs can say "we may have a chance at a top player." But what good does that do 'em if they can't seal the deal?

I hope people realize how good he is. Better than Royce, Rickert, Humphries, Khalid.

I hope people realize how good he is. Better than Royce, Rickert, Humphries, Khalid.

Better than Khalid, c'mon now. I can maybe (maybe) understand saying he's better than the others, but khalid is a national champ, 3 time state champ. gtfoh.
its way to early to say that he is better than khalid.

Better than Khalid, c'mon now. I can maybe (maybe) understand saying he's better than the others, but khalid is a national champ, 3 time state champ. gtfoh.

Too early to say he will have a better college career. Not too early to say he's better at the same stage.

Don't think I take Khalid lightly - he's the best Minnesota high school player I've ever seen. But Tyus has the potential to be even better.

I hope he realizes that if he goes to UNC, Duke or Michigan St, he'll just be another guy. He could be a legend here.

I hope he realizes that if he goes to UNC, Duke or Michigan St, he'll just be another guy. He could be a legend here.

I hope like heck that he ends up here, but my gut tells me it will be Duke or Michigan State.

The "he'll be just another guy" at those schools but a "legend here" aren't true.

Laettner is a legend at Duke - he's from NY.
Hill is a legend at Duke - he is from Virginia.
Hurley is a legend at Duke - he is from New Jersey.

Go Gophers!!

I hope like heck that he ends up here, but my gut tells me it will be Duke or Michigan State.

The "he'll be just another guy" at those schools but a "legend here" aren't true.

Laettner is a legend at Duke - he's from NY.
Hill is a legend at Duke - he is from Virginia.
Hurley is a legend at Duke - he is from New Jersey.

Go Gophers!!
A better way to say it is at Duke, MSU, and UNC he would be one of many legends. At the U, he would be THE legend. (I'm not sure if a guy like Mchale would be considered in the same league if Jones leads us to several Final Fours)

i'm sick of hearing gopher fans say that an in-state talent is a must get. Look at the top players in the nation this year, most of them have left their state, the top player in california went to Arizona, the top player in Tx is going to Duke, top player in New Jersey is going to UCLA, NV to Arizona, Arkansas to Kentucky and so on. Tyus Jones will likely be at least a top 5 point guard, that means he likely can go to any school in the country he wants, will he pick the Gophers, I hope so, but to say they he is must get just because he lives within our borders is rediculous. Don't set yourself up for the letdown, instead say that we may have a chance at a top player.

You're right -- it's crazy to get too excited about a national top 10-type player from our own state. If they don't pick Minnesota, no problem; we'll just get one from another state and add him to the other top 10 out-of-staters on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom