Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Things Tyus Jones Thread

"PG Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) comes in at No. 5 and is one of -- if not the -- best pure, old school point guards in high school, regardless of class. There's a Chris Paul-like way about him and he would be the No. 1 point guard in the Class of 2012 right now and No. 2 in 2013 behind only Andrew Harrison (Houston/Travis) who is an amazing prospect with super size."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...id/6855933/andrew-wiggins-new-no-1-2014-class

Go Gophers!!

The pessimistic Gopher fan in me makes me think this hurts us more than it helps. In regards to Okafor's comments that is.

I thought the same.......Hopefully Tyus is a leader though, and instead of following people, he directs people. He seems like a good leader so far

I talked to Okafor in Phoenix at the Desert Duel and he told me that he wants to play with Tyus as well. I made sure I let the Gopher coaches know that fact.

Chris Monter

Nice job Chris. Hopefully the Gopher staff starts recruiting Okafor and we can get a dream class in 2014. Jones + Okafor + the rest of the great in state talent would probably be the greatest class in the history of the program, or at least close to it.

It would be nice to have a practice facility done by then but I don't think that's going to happen.

Okafor reminds me so much of Jared Sullinger. He even kind of looks like him.

I'm a realist, when all is said and done I think there is very little chance Tyus Jones ends up at the U. I almost think it is foregone that UN, Duke, and Mich State will be the finalists.

Based on what? He's only a sophmore. Let this thing play out before we declare any victors.

I'm a realist, when all is said and done I think there is very little chance Tyus Jones ends up at the U. I almost think it is foregone that UN, Duke, and Mich State will be the finalists.

Who knows? Although being a Gopher fan, I understand why you feel that way. Regardless, I hope he doesn't play the game of keeping us in his top three or top five or top whatever if he has no intention of ever playing here. Just say that I'm going to one of the power schools because of all the advantages, perceived or real. People would be more understanding rather than the other way. In the end, it probably makes no difference to Tyus what we think. He'll be fine whatever he does though Sid will probably still have a column and offer that he'll never get a job here.

I too hope he lets us know early instead of the phoney leading the Gophers on that other have pulled.All these kids are lead down the path that they entitled.Chris Paul?little early for that and these package deals on recruits smells a little too much like "I'm taking my talents to South Beach" to me. lol That said if the two decide to come here.I'll be the first one to say there the best thing since sliced bread.

in college basketball i fell like all it takes is two studs and a team of role players and you can be a contender assuming okafor is telling the truth and will play with tyus,, if tyus picks the gophs the domino effect will hopefully happen and maybe for years to come... tyus commits okafor commits, vaughn commits and maybe it carries over to future recruiting and when the gophers start advancing deep in the national tournament starting that next year because with those three guys alone i find it hard to believe they wont be competing for big ten and national titles

In the end it will be extremely difficult to land Tyus Jones, especially if we keep up with our mediocre seasons. Tubby has to start winning, plain and simple. If he can't do that, it will be a monumental challenge to bring in high end talent to this program, even if they are right in our backyard. Mediocre seasons, no practice facility, the weather (it affects our recruiting whether you want to believe it or not) and the changing landscape of college basketball are going against us right now. Not to mention he has already made statements like "Michigan State has always been one of my dreams schools to play for" and being star struck by Coach K. Heck, Wisconsin is even having trouble keeping star power in state and they are consistently a top 20 team year in and year out.

I can assure you with Tyus, he will not be at a program very long if he continues to develop at this rate. I'm thinking two at the most, and most likely one. Is he going to want to spend his one or two years with a program that is struggling to create traction, or one that is a proven winner which will help steer him towards an NBA career. At this point, it makes more sense for him to go to a big time school and play in the national spotlight on a weekly basis surrounded by other big time players where he can improve and showcase his abilities. If we can turn the ship around and land a few elite recruits before he gets here and show him our program can develop a successful atmosphere than we have a chance.

If he wants to showcase his talent why go to a UNC where Marcus Paige will be a starter for 4 years? or Duke where quinn cook etc... will be there for 4 years? come to minny, start on day 1, get all the looks you want ala Kris Humphries

If he wants to showcase his talent why go to a UNC where Marcus Paige will be a starter for 4 years? or Duke where quinn cook etc... will be there for 4 years? come to minny, start on day 1, get all the looks you want ala Kris Humphries

If you are a top 10 ranked recruit, and #1 or #2 at your position, I can assure you that said player will be starting day 1. In the 2010 Rivals150, the top point guard prospects were Josh Selby, Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight, and Cory Joseph. All 4 respectively started as Freshman at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and Texas.

It's all going to come down to how much hometown pride he has. If he's proud of where he comes from I like our chances regardless of who is recruiting him. Especially if him, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis get together and decide if they all stay home and play together that Minnesota could be a great team. They could all be hometown heros and potentially form one of the best teams Minnesota has had in a long, long time.

If you are a top 10 ranked recruit, and #1 or #2 at your position, I can assure you that said player will be starting day 1. In the 2010 Rivals150, the top point guard prospects were Josh Selby, Kyrie Irving, Brandon Knight, and Cory Joseph. All 4 respectively started as Freshman at Kansas, Duke, Kentucky and Texas.
Do you see a pattern there? all those PGs were coming into a team w/o a starter at PG. Marcus Paige is a top 150 recruit, the very top PG in 2012 matter of fact, and seeing his height, athletic ability/pro prospect I see him at UNC for 4 years. Remember Larry Drew II? He started over Kendall Marshall, despite being the inferior player. Not to mention the blue blood schools will keep recruiting # 1 pgs. I'm not saying UNC is a leader, but if Tyus wanted to go there he'd be behind Marcus from day 1, and maybe even have to compete with Koenig if he goes there.

Do you see a pattern there? all those PGs were coming into a team w/o a starter at PG. Marcus Paige is a top 150 recruit, the very top PG in 2012 matter of fact, and seeing his height, athletic ability/pro prospect I see him at UNC for 4 years. Remember Larry Drew II? He started over Kendall Marshall, despite being the inferior player. Not to mention the blue blood schools will keep recruiting # 1 pgs. I'm not saying UNC is a leader, but if Tyus wanted to go there he'd be behind Marcus from day 1, and maybe even have to compete with Koenig if he goes there.

Incorrect. He is the #5 ranked pg at the moment (rivals) and hasn't even cracked the top 40 overall. Tyus is ranked the #4 overall recruit regardless of position. Tyus Jones is leagues ahead of where Marcus was at his age.

There is a reason why all of the players I mentioned started as freshman. They did their due diligence. Do you think they would have been dumb enough to go to UCONN last year with Kemba Walker entrenched as the starter if they had aspirations of playing in the NBA the following year? Never. And by the way, they are all playing in the NBA after their freshman seasons, which leads me to my second point. The Dukes, UNC's, Kentucky's etc have extremely high turnover every year. A player like Tyus would simply be following in the long line of one and done players if he truly ends up fulfilling his potential. He will never have to worry about being stuck behind anyone. Sure UNC might have someone stay another year who possibly might be able to beat out Tyus as the starter (extremely doubtful), but 4 or 5 other top programs would have a spot waiting for him to step right in and start.

And onto your other point about Kendall Marshall. UNC was a horrible team with Larry Drew at the helm. Once Kendall Marshall was given the reigns as a freshman, they were a completely different team which nullifies your point, and strengthens mine. If there is a player that is better, Duke or North Carolina will not hesitate to name them as a starter.

A few thoughts...

You have to think ahead....
Did Big Mo get his Medical RS? If so, I think are chances improve. It would also really help if we could sign Woodbury or Hammons, or if Big Mo or EE or Oto can play PF because then we could really have a solid starting 5.

PG Tyus Jones
Wing Andre Hollins
Wing Joe Coleman
PF let's hope one of Big MO, EE, or Oto can play here
C Mo Walker, EE

One other thing that would help is if we get Kyle Washington. They play Howard Pulley together, so I'd imagine they're fairly decent friends.

You have to think ahead....
Did Big Mo get his Medical RS? If so, I think are chances improve. It would also really help if we could sign Woodbury or Hammons, or if Big Mo or EE or Oto can play PF because then we could really have a solid starting 5.

PG Tyus Jones
Wing Andre Hollins
Wing Joe Coleman
PF let's hope one of Big MO, EE, or Oto can play here
C Mo Walker, EE

One other thing that would help is if we get Kyle Washington. They play Howard Pulley together, so I'd imagine they're fairly decent friends.

This season both in terms of success on the court and on the recruiting front is going to have huge implications on the future of this program, there is no doubt about it.

Is he going to want to spend his one or two years with a program that is struggling to create traction, or one that is a proven winner which will help steer him towards an NBA career. At this point, it makes more sense for him to go to a big time school and play in the national spotlight on a weekly basis surrounded by other big time players where he can improve and showcase his abilities. If we can turn the ship around and land a few elite recruits before he gets here and show him our program can develop a successful atmosphere than we have a chance.

Jimmer Fredette, Alec Burks, and Kawhi Leonard were all top 15 picks in the NBA Draft. Fredette and Leonard played for mid major teams and Burks played for a team that didn't even make it to the NCAA tournament. I know big-time schools like Duke will be very appealing for any recruit, and I'm not saying Tyus will be a Gopher because of this, but if a player wants to go to the NBA you clearly don't need to play for a team like Duke in order to do so. If you have NBA talent you have NBA talent, it's not that big of a deal what school you go to. Again, not saying Tyus will commit to the Gophers, but having NBA aspirations certainly doesn't take Minnesota out of consideration.

Jimmer Fredette, Alec Burks, and Kawhi Leonard were all top 15 picks in the NBA Draft. Fredette and Leonard played for mid major teams and Burks played for a team that didn't even make it to the NCAA tournament. I know big-time schools like Duke will be very appealing for any recruit, and I'm not saying Tyus will be a Gopher because of this, but if a player wants to go to the NBA you clearly don't need to play for a team like Duke in order to do so. If you have NBA talent you have NBA talent, it's not that big of a deal what school you go to. Again, not saying Tyus will commit to the Gophers, but having NBA aspirations certainly doesn't take Minnesota out of consideration.

I understand. However those players mentioned didn't have the choice of going to elite schools because they never had the opportunity. They weren't highly rated coming out of high school. It would make more sense if they had all the offers that Tyus will be raking in, and already has been offered. It is a different animal when you are a top 10 recruit and have that opportunity. The top point guards for 2011 (all top 15 overall recruits) are going to Duke, Florida, Kentucky, and Arizona....and none are playing for their hometown team.

It's possible and like one poster said hopefully he has pride in his hometown team, but facts are facts. It's going to be tough to keep him in state. Like I said earlier, hopefully the program turns around and we have a strong chance. Time will tell.

Right. All I'm saying is he can go to the league and be a high draft pick from Minnesota just like any other school. I understand that it will still be difficult to keep him from going to those big-time programs though. Like I said before, it's all going to depend on how much hometown pride he has. Having friends on the team won't hurt, either.

I understand. However those players mentioned didn't have the choice of going to elite schools because they never had the opportunity. They weren't highly rated coming out of high school. It would make more sense if they had all the offers that Tyus will be raking in, and already has been offered. It is a different animal when you are a top 10 recruit and have that opportunity. The top point guards for 2011 (all top 15 overall recruits) are going to Duke, Florida, Kentucky, and Arizona....and none are playing for their hometown team.

It's possible and like one poster said hopefully he has pride in his hometown team, but facts are facts. It's going to be tough to keep him in state. Like I said earlier, hopefully the program turns around and we have a strong chance. Time will tell.

Kris Humphries had the coice to go to a bigger shool but joined the Gophers. Killed the team but it worked out for him just fine.

Tyus and Washington

Tyus looks like he can get by his man and serve up the big fellas ala Al Nolen, but he also looks like he can shoot outside, the midrange, and finish. What a star!

Washington looks athletic like a skinny Johnny Gilbert, but he looks like he could be a small forward with his quickness in time. A little like Dan Coleman too with the midrange jumper, but he plays more aggressive.

He would be a very good 4 on a pressing team, like those Kentucky teams used to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom