Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think playing at a higher tempo defensively just helps teams like us, who may not have a bunch of sharpshooters, but a lot of guys who can get out and run. Tubby's been recruiting that type of player so it only makes sense we do more of that. Some issues recently kinda derailed that last year, but I suspect next year we're gonna see a more fun brand of basketball at the Barn.

I imagine that Coleman and probably Austin Hollins will get some playing time at the sf position. It seems it will be a two big man lineup most of the time.

Is there any chance this kids stays home and plays for Minnesota? In my wildest dreams maybe.

Is there any chance this kids stays home and plays for Minnesota? In my wildest dreams maybe.

Doesn't look like it's going to be easy. But I'm sure he'll change his mind a few times in the next few years. A nice Sweet 16 or better could go a long ways.

And I would never blame him for going to Duke or NC or any other destination school.

You just hope he has some loyalty to the home town, but if not he will represent the State, not the school, in the NBA.

It would be nice if a high profile kid would stay home so we could root for him and the team. Lindsay Whalen made watching the women's team so much more fun.

Jones is the kind of guy we should expect to get with Tubby as coach. Doesn't matter to me if the competition is Duke, UNC, Kansas, MSU, etc. When Minnesota produces a truly elite level national recruit like Jones -- we don't have them all that often -- that's one area Tubby needs to earn his salary. He did it with Royce White (though it didn't work out like we hoped), I expect the same with Jones. Of course, that's assuming Tubby's still the Gopher coach in 3 years.

Tyus Jones

I talked to Deb Jones, Tyus' mom and she said that Providence has offered me a scholarship. He also has offers from Iowa, Minnesota and Baylor. There was a bit of confusion on the Minnesota offer, but they have extended a scholarship offer.

Tyus played today for the Miller Time team at the Howard Pulley Pro-Am Summer League. They will play Tuesday at 7:00. Howard Pulley 17's play in St. Louis next week.

Chris Monter

Wasn't Lindsay Whalen's Marshal team 0-22 her senior year? I seem to remember she played on a very bad team in high school and the U was the only d1 offer she got.

As for Tubby every coach in America is saying they are going to play faster this year. Every coach is going to spend the first two weeks of practice working on their early offense, and 99.9% of them will go back to what they did last year by week four. That's not a knock against Tubby, that's just how it goes with coaches. Not many are willing to give up control to run a faster style.

Where do you get this line of thinking/low expectations from?

Sam Jacobson? Chose Minnesota
Khalid El Amin? Chose Minnesota before the Russ incident
Joel Pryz? Chose Minnesota
Adam Boone? Chose North Carolina
Rick Rickert? Chose Minnesota
Kris Humphries? Chose Duke/Minnesota
Cole Aldrich? Chose Kansas
Royce White? Chose Minnesota

It seems like I might be missing someone (I thought about including Nick Horvath, but I am not sure the Gophers ever offered him), but that is a pretty impressive success rate for any school when going head to head with Duke/UNC/Kanasas etc. A couple of those guys even committed to Dan Monson! We should certainly expect Tubby to be in it for Tyus Jones and history shows that it certainly has nothing to do with a "wildest dream" scenario. You don't pay a coach 1.8 million a year and go crazy when he lands the top in state kid... it should be a dissappointment when it doesn't happen.

Whalen played for Hutchinson High School. Her team either got to state or the section semifinals both her junior and senior seasons.

WTF is up with this title

So your saying Chis is doing Q&A's for the Apple Valley Patch...

So your saying Chis is doing Q&A's for the Apple Valley Patch...

Yes, per the byline in the link above, Chris writes for the Apple Valley Patch in addition to his other roles, including GH. Is the Apple Valley Patch not in your daily list of sites to read?

Go Gophers!!

Chris Monter Q&A: Apple Valley Point Guard Tyus Jones Gains New Offers

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-1 freshman point guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, continues to pick up even more interest after his strong play at the recent Nike Peach Jam. GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Wednesday night to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1446

Could be hard for us to get Tyus over duke, osu, and msu from the sounds of it. He's always excited when he talks to them, but its always "tubby's a good guy" with us. Hopefully I'm just taking things out of context, but good luck to Tyus wherever he goes. Crazy to think that this kid has coach K drooling at his heals and he hasn't even started his sophmore year. No doubt Tyus is special.

Could be hard for us to get Tyus over duke, osu, and msu from the sounds of it. He's always excited when he talks to them, but its always "tubby's a good guy" with us. Hopefully I'm just taking things out of context, but good luck to Tyus wherever he goes. Crazy to think that this kid has coach K drooling at his heals and he hasn't even started his sophmore year. No doubt Tyus is special.

All I know is that Duke wins a lot of games and Coach K is easily the most motivating person on my Nike Boom App. Luckily, Tubby is also a great coach and is his hometown school. I am hoping that Tyus is a Gopher, but would not feel slighted if he goes elsewhere. Coach K is a great coach and Tyus will do well anywhere.

You certainly can't fault a kid for wanting to play with an elite program, that's for sure. To be able to learn from someone like coach K who has been instrumental with not only Duke but American basketball in general would be awesome.

I will feel slighted if he chooses wisconsin or marquette obviously. Doubt he will. If he went to Kentucky for cal i'd disown him as a minnesotan. but if he does go out of state I hope its not in the B10, kid would kill us for years. Ofcourse we all hope he doesn't, because we could have something special here with tyus, rashad V, and the guys they could potentially bring with them. We just don't have the coaching stability or facilities that these other programs have. I'd say the 3 things we have going for us is 1) Joe Coleman is supposedly a good friend of Tyus' 2) the U is close to home, and I'm sure Tyus' mom would love to watch every game of his 3) He will start from day 1, have the love of all of minnesota forever, and play for Tubby smith who has produced many players for the NBA

The fact that Coleman is his buddy doesn't seem like too much of an advantage for me. We all thought it was an advantage that Devote was Cory's brother but it clearly wasn't. I agree with the other two points though. No matter where he goes, he is going to be fun to watch in college. However, landing him would be huge for this program...huge.

The fact that Coleman is his buddy doesn't seem like too much of an advantage for me. We all thought it was an advantage that Devote was Cory's brother but it clearly wasn't. I agree with the other two points though. No matter where he goes, he is going to be fun to watch in college. However, landing him would be huge for this program...huge.

Well obviously if Joe is hatin it here, then it's a not an advantage, if not a disadvantage at that point. But if we're winning more games, and by then Joe is what, a junior, and he's pulling on him to join in on the fun, it could prove advantageous. The thing with the Josephs, clearly there were issues there that didn't play to our benefit.

If we're still languishing in bubble-land by 2014, then who am I to sit there and be mad at the kid for choosing a school like Duke over us? If we do finally take steps toward being at least a perennial threat in the B1G and not laughing when mentioning the prospects of making the Final Four, then yes, I would be a little disappointed if he went elsewhere. There's so much time between now and then though, he's only a soph, so many things can happen, though I doubt Duke falls off before then lol.

My memory is fading, but I thought when the young Jones first made a name for himself, it was tossed out that he had some Gopher blood in him through a grandfather or something. If there are any "advantages" in recruiting him, that would be it, if it is true. Those with more reliable memories or information can weigh in.

My memory is fading, but I thought when the young Jones first made a name for himself, it was tossed out that he had some Gopher blood in him through a grandfather or something. If there are any "advantages" in recruiting him, that would be it, if it is true. Those with more reliable memories or information can weigh in.

From a STrib article this spring:

"Al Nuness, a cousin whom Tyus calls his uncle, was a captain for the Gophers in the 1960s."

I can't see Tyus choosing a school because his cousin played here in the 1960s.

Let's not forget that Tyus was born in 1996. That means he was 1 year old when we went to the Final Four, which means ages 2 - 15, Tyus has never seen the Gophers win an NCAA Tournament game, and has seen us struggle most years to break into the top half of the BT. Not to mention that his formative years (to date) were spent watching the Monson era unfold and the lack of significant progress under Tubby. Barring a much needed breakthrough season, his blood would have to be a deep maroon and gold to choose Minnesota if we can't show him some significant progress between now and when he chooses a college.

Go Gophers!!

From a STrib article this spring:

"Al Nuness, a cousin whom Tyus calls his uncle, was a captain for the Gophers in the 1960s."

I can't see Tyus choosing a school because his cousin played here in the 1960s.

Let's not forget that Tyus was born in 1996. That means he was 1 year old when we went to the Final Four, which means ages 2 - 15, Tyus has never seen the Gophers win an NCAA Tournament game, and has seen us struggle most years to break into the top half of the BT. Not to mention that his formative years (to date) were spent watching the Monson era unfold and the lack of significant progress under Tubby. Barring a much needed breakthrough season, his blood would have to be a deep maroon and gold to choose Minnesota if we can't show him some significant progress between now and when he chooses a college.

Go Gophers!!

Did Jared Nuness have a Gopher offer? I believe he was Al Nuness' kid that went to Hopkins and Valparaiso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom