All Things Royce White Thread UPDATED 10/25: Royce cut by 76ers

I'm not posting Rodney Williams highlight reels on cyclonefanatic.com either. Imagine Harrison Barnes commits to ISU, and promises to take his hometown back into the spotlight and get a championship. Then, he screws up, and before he even plays a game, he is forced to transfer to the U of M, where he recycles the sound bites he just gave the last team. I wish the best to you guys, and Mr. White, but I've seen him play multiple times. I really don't care how cool his dunks are.

It was in response to ridiculous claims.

I can taste your bitterness from here.

I talked to a Hopkins grad last night who shared his first experience around Royce. Royce was with some girl at some type of snack bar at the school and this person was behind them. Royce all of a sudden put his hand down her pants to touch her butt. She freaked out and asked what the hell he was doing. His response was to stfu bit**.

He's a charmer. No really he tells you what he wants you to hear, until he shoves his greedy hand up the butthole of your favorite team. I hope it doesn't happen to ISU, but if it does I told you so.

I have no idea if Royce White will be the best Cyclone on this year's team let alone the best ever, but I have never seen a player like him in Ames. He has such a unique game for a player his size. I am very intrigued to see him in a real game. ISU has played two games in Italy and he led them team in assists in both and has posted double digit rebounds as well. Now, we are playing terrible competition much so a person cannot take much from him, but I am really curious to see what he does in real game settings.

Here is what I feel pretty sure about. He will have a much bigger impact on Iowa State this year than Rodney Williams has had or will have on the Gophers program this year. He was very immature during his time in the Cities, felt entitled with "friends" whispering in his ear about how great he was, and lacked a strong male role model in his life to help straighten him out. He acted like a punk in many ways. Getting to Ames and away from certain influences has helped him mature. While his presence in Ames will greatly benefit Iowa State basketball, I think it has helped him even more.

As far as basketball, think about what people are posting here. 6'8...250 pounds and handling the ball well. Performing in the weight room better than anyone at the NBA draft. Leading the team in assists. Averaging a triple double in summer league. Some saying they are not impressed because, after all, Lebron James looks like him and does that. If Lebron James is the basketball player you compare Royce White to, that should tell you something. From a basketball standpoint, none of this matters until the season starts. But you have to say this will be intriguing at the least.

As far as Royce's year plus in Ames, the people down there could not be happier. Excelling in the classroom and a great teammate. And if you think about it, from his time at DeLaSalle, Hopkins, and the U, this is likely the longest he has gone without being in the public spotlight in a negative way. Let's hope he has gotten his life together and realizes the potential he has as both a person and a basketball player.

? cleary didn't read my posts. I never compared him to lebron james. Lebron dosen't have a crimial record.

i remember watching white in h.s. and thinking he was going to be a great college player. so many teams struggle to find players who can just put the ball in the hole (ahem, tubby) and it was clear white was special in that regard. opposing players would just kind of bounce off of him and his combination of handle and body type was impressive.

i was particularly stoked when he chose the gophers because i didn't view him as a very good pro prospect - he's not really a 3 or a 4 at that level - which would mean that he'd probably play at least three years in college. best type of college recruit in this day and age, imo.

If Royce becomes the greatest player in ISU history, this board could get pretty comical. Perhaps he's finally figured things out (off the court)? Time will tell.

I hope it works out for him. I'd like to see ISU become relevant again like they were under Johnny Orr and to a lesser extent Tim Floyd & Larry Eustachy. Hilton Coliseum is still a great place to go watch a game a couple times a season.

Cyclones 2-0 In Italy After 105-46 Win

VERASE, Italy- Iowa State raced out to a 20-2 lead and never looked back in a 105-46 win over the Sondria All-Stars Friday evening in Verase, Italy. The Cyclones, which improved to 2-0 on their Italian trip, opened the game by making 6-of-their-first-7 shots.

"I was really happy with our start tonight," Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said. "Our guys seemed like they had their legs tonight and we took better shots early. The guys were also out their flying around on defense. If we continue to go out there every night with that kind of intensity we are going to win a lot of basketball teams."

Iowa State yet again used a balanced attack in its victory, as five players scored in double figures led by Royce White's 15 points. White filled up the stat sheet, making 7-of-10 shots from the floor, grabbing a team-high 11 boards and leading the team in assists with six.

Chris Allen and Tyrus McGee both added 14 points in the Cyclone victory. Allen drilled 4-of-7 shots from 3-point range and McGee was 6-of-11 from the floor. Chris Babb and Bubu Palo added 12 and 10 points, respectively.

Iowa State shot the ball much better tonight, making 51.1 percent of its shots from the floor, including a 12-of-31 effort from beyond the arc.

"We are doing a really good job spacing the floor," Hoiberg added. "We haven't worked a lot on our sets but we have really emphasized our spacing. For the most part the guys have done a good job finding the right spots for open shots."

Iowa State's next game is on Tuesday in Rome.

Iowa State Statistics
White: 15 pts (7-10 fg), 11 reb, 6 asst, 3 blks, 2 stls
McGee: 14 pts (6-11 fg, 2-7 3fg), 2 asst, 1 blk, 2 stls
Allen: 14 pts (5-11 fg, 4-7 3fg), 3 asst
Babb: 12 pts (4-8 fg, 4-8 3fg), 7 reb, 3 stls
Palo: 10 pts (4-6 fg, 1-2 3fg), 5 stls
Ejim: 9 pts (3-6 fg), 8 reb
Booker: 8 pts (3-5 fg), 8 reb
Railey: 7 pts (3-7 fg), 6 reb
Gibson: 6 pts (2-2 fg), 3 reb
Christopherson: 5 pts (2-8 fg, 1-6 3fg), 3 reb, 3 asst
Sledge: 5 pts (2-5 fg), 3 reb, 5 asst

It appears as if Royce White will continue to be a source of curiosity, envy, frustration, interest and much more for Gopher fans so we are going to designate this thread as "All Things Royce White Thread" and Gopher and Cyclone fans can discuss the former Hopkins Star for days on end. It will also allow those Gopher fans who have moved on or are not fans of J-Strings to, well, move on. So from here on out, all things Royce White should be posted in this thread.

A good idea. As fate would have it a buddy & I were just discussing when we could fit in a trip (or 2) to Ames during the Gopher season, but we're still waiting for the B1G to release the conference schedule. Any day now, I hope.

It's really not just White, they have two other former B1G players on the team in Allen and Babb. The presence of all three creates interest for me.

It's really not just White, they have two other former B1G players on the team in Allen and Babb. The presence of all three creates interest for me.

Me too. Hilton is a great place to watch a game even when ISU sucks, but I don't think they're going to suck this year. Could be one of those special years for them if their guys keep their noses clean off the court.

Royce White = Lawrence Phillips IMO. Eventually he will scale a wall and drag his ex down a flight of stairs. Then get drafted only to be suspended by the NBA for more of the same. He is a self indulgent loser that got kicked out of school for cheating, suspended in college for stealing and assaulting a security guard and eventually couldn't do the time for his crimes and ran away to a new state. I give his over/under on games played in Ames, IA at 14. Who wants to play?

Royce White = Lawrence Phillips IMO. Eventually he will scale a wall and drag his ex down a flight of stairs. Then get drafted only to be suspended by the NBA for more of the same. He is a self indulgent loser that got kicked out of school for cheating, suspended in college for stealing and assaulting a security guard and eventually couldn't do the time for his crimes and ran away to a new state. I give his over/under on games played in Ames, IA at 14. Who wants to play?

You sir, are dumb. A 18 y/o kid screwed up. How many people cheat in school? He just got caught. Have u ever stole anything. Maybe your perfect, but just about everyone else has taken something. Whether it be a pencil, a soda, or a laptop. Am I condoning his actions? Abosolutely not, but to compare him to a felon who has over 10 counts of assult charges w/ a deadly weapon is beyond absured. Get a life dude.

You sir, are dumb. A 18 y/o kid screwed up. How many people cheat in school? He just got caught. Have u ever stole anything. Maybe your perfect, but just about everyone else has taken something. Whether it be a pencil, a soda, or a laptop. Am I condoning his actions? Abosolutely not, but to compare him to a felon who has over 10 counts of assult charges w/ a deadly weapon is beyond absured. Get a life dude.

I don't think that he dumb. He is just upset that a player with this much talent can be so screwed up. I am not a fan of RW. I would have loved to see him as a Gophers though. Even during this interview, he still shows it is all about him. I remember him during the only Tip Off that he attended here. When Rodney and Trevor did their fantastic dunks, Royce went on to do a double dunk with 2 balls. He had to be on the stage or else. Therefore, I only give him 2 months before he gets in trouble with the refs or other teams best players.

Go Gophers

If you think all Royce did was cheat once and steal one time, you may be the dumb one.

I was in Lincoln when Lawrence was there. He didn't start out as a felon...he built up to it. He was never held accountable for the early stuff and it just escalated. Phillips had trouble in HS, he didn't attend class, he got in a bar fight his FR year in Lincoln. He ran with a crew of thugs. He beat up his ex and drug her down a flight of stairs and not only didn't he do time, he got drafted in the first round of the draft a month later. Phillips was a cancer to his team and after getting run out of the NFL, he got into gun trouble with his crew. To compare the road that RW is on to the one that Phillips went down it not out of line or an indication of my intelligence. It is, however, a possible outcome that I believe is likely and I am predicting. I did not make myself an example for RW to follow and I have made plenty of mistakes in my lifetime...and I paid for them. RW has not...which is why I predict he will continue to make them. And defending the crimes that RW committed by saying we all do it is the absurd response in all this.

SPCPrice21 said:

Can't say I've ever shoved a security guard onto a concrete floor tho. Looks like Royce wins again :(

You are calling someone dumb when you can't spell...interesting.

It does seem like you are condoning his actions. At minimum you are chalking it up to "just being young". Either way, Royce has a track record that is hard to ignore.

I don't care if he has a good career or not.

I think he's an interesting kid and will do well. He'll be excellent on the court, but if he keeps his crap together, I think he'll be just fine off the court as well. Wish he would have gone about things differently a couple of years ago, but I'll be cheering for him.

Who is Dumb?

Did you by any chance proof this post? I do love the irony. I am surprised GW did not "clean" it up for you.

First off, this is not english class. This is how the youth of america types. We're less concerned about puncuation and more about getting the point across. I mistyped absolutely..... My bad... Sorry i didnt put a question mark after some of my questions. Alright, now thats over with lets get to the point. Gopherinphilly you stated RW has not paid for his crimes. How about being kicked off the basketball team? He his banned from the MOA for a year. Forgive me because I don't see the comparison between RW and LT. I wasn't insulting your intelligence by calling you dumb if it came off that way. That comparison is just ludicrous. IMO RW moving to Iowa and starting over is proof enough he wants change in his life. Getting away from his old groupies and starting a new life. Ill take your bet. I bet over 14.

First off, this is not english class. This is how the youth of america types. We're less concerned about puncuation and more about getting the point across. I mistyped absolutely..... My bad... Sorry i didnt put a question mark after some of my questions. Alright, now thats over with lets get to the point. Gopherinphilly you stated RW has not paid for his crimes. How about being kicked off the basketball team? He his banned from the MOA for a year. Forgive me because I don't see the comparison between RW and LT. I wasn't insulting your intelligence by calling you dumb if it came off that way. That comparison is just ludicrous. IMO RW moving to Iowa and starting over is proof enough he wants change in his life. Getting away from his old groupies and starting a new life. Ill take your bet. I bet over 14.

lol

Top Bottom