I'd be Suprised this year if....

gold04

Reaction score
we didn't win at least 8 games. I know the schedule is tougher this year, we may have lost Brock, and we have Cosgrove. I still think this team will be too deep, talented, and experienced not to go at least 8-5.

I'd agree with that. Our schedule is much tougher, but this could be the most talented team we've had in many years. Weber is a legit Big 10 QB, we have a possible exciting backup in Gray. We have 4 experienced RB's, and we could have the best starting group of WR's in the Big 10 this year. The questions are going to be how fast can the guys pick up on the new offense, can the OL come together, and staying healthy.

Defensively, the biggest thing I worry about is a pass rush. Outside of Willie, we got very little of that last year. But otherwise we return about our 4 next best guys on the line. Even though we lose Hightower and Davis at LB, I think that group could actually be better this year, with Campbell & Lawrence returning, and also the addition of Maresh, Reeves, and possibly Cooper. I do worry about losing Brock in the secondary, because I think that the safety positions (especially without him) are about the thinnest on the team. Theret is a good competitor but he usually seems a little overmatched. Royston should help but is a bit of an unknown, and after that we're left with unproven freshmen & sophomores.

But by in large we should be improved on most areas of the field. Hopefully things come together quickly with the new coordinators for our first game at Syracuse.

While I think we have the most talent that we've had in years the the skill positions, football is won and lost in the trenches and I still don't have confidence in our O-line and I can't find a Pass-rushing DE to apply pressure. With that I hope Carufel, Wills, and the coaching of Davis can improve the line play enough and that at DE Henderson or someone will step up.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg said a few months ago in his blog that the key to Minnesota's success next year will be soundness on the lines. And I fully agree with him.

Cedric McKinley showed flashes last year at DE, especially toward the end. I think he will be a viable replacement for VDS. I also look for more contributions from Edwards on the DL. The OL should be markedly better with Wills & Carufel. The other younger guys should also be stronger & more experienced. I think Davis will definitely be able to mold a stronger OL this year.

re

Assuming we go 3-1 in the out of conference [CA] who are the "at least" 5 Big 10 wins on the schedule?

I admire the optimism, but I would be ecstatic with 8 Wins this upcoming season. Our schedule next year is absolutely Brutal.

I would love 8 wins, but I don't see it next year. The O line will have to prove itself and while we are adding depth, we will still be very young in the 2 deep. Add in the coaching changes and I think 6 is more realistic with a possibility of 7 if the O line really develops.

ESPN's Adam Rittenberg said a few months ago in his blog that the key to Minnesota's success next year will be soundness on the lines. And I fully agree with him.

The OL was probably the biggest reason for last years collapse.

We probably expect a little too much out of underclassmen. The talent is there sure, but the experience is still lacking. As mentioned the schedule is tougher. I think 6-6 would mark huge improvement given the difference in schedules. I'm a bit worried that if we do finish 6-6 people will view that as a huge set back. If you look at each game there are only two games that would take a huge upset to win, but many where it will require a minor upset. The range in likely records is huge to me, 3-8 to 10-2. I'm going to try real hard and look beyond the record to see if we've made the improvements that set us up well for 2010. That's when I think the gophs will finally have depth, talent and experience. That's when record expectations will have meaning.

I'd be fine with 6-6 or better. We probably won't win a big ten road game. I agree with Schnoodler, I'd look for improvement. Will our defense get better, offense get better, what will our kicking game be like.

It really is too early to tell. We have no idea how Cosgrove will do, and if the offense can pick up Fisch's system. We don't really have any soft games to work out the kinks of the system and get acclimated. If we are quick learners, I could see 8 wins for sure. If the systems don't work out, even if just for the first few games, a bowl game will be tough to get. I think we have the talent to be an 8 win team though.

i'm glad the rest of you are confident with our line play next year. i am not. people seem to be relying on two things to make our o-line better: experienced players and the addition of carufel and wills.

while experience at o-line is probably more important than at any other position, sometimes you need more than experience. i guess i will believe it when i see it. second, wills has never played a big ten snap. yess he is big (perhaps too big), and yes he looked impressive in his JUCO film. but he played at lakawanna county community college--not exactly a JUCO powerhouse (good paper companies in lakawana county, though), and he was playing sub-par players. so i will believe it when i see it. carufel i am excited about (although i think he ends up playing RT unlike most of you, just a hunch), but i am always a little leery about players transferring because of playing time issues.

if we can get through the initial three non-conference games winning at syracuse and airforce, we have three potentially winnable games to start off the conference schedule. so if all goes well we could be 5-1 going into happy valley and the horseshoe. if we happen to stun one of these teams we COULD end up with 8 wins. but until i see this team play that is the highest that i would even be able to hope for.

Having a lot of returnee's guarantees one thing: they have one year more of experience. That doesn't automatically mean they will all be better players.

Brewster needs to be able to put better talent on the field, not necessarily more experience. Granted experience and one year of growth usually helps, but the talent, the desire and the coaching has to be there. Now the vets have new systems to learn and execute. IMO, Brewster and his new and untested coordinators have a ways to go to be in a position to compete with the talent, depth and stable coaching staff of teams like OSU, PSU, Cal, etc.

The Kansas game should remind all of us on how much we need to improve to be in a position to win big and often.

At this point, 8 wins will be a stretch for a team that was one of the worst three Big Ten teams at years end.

the O-line will be a ? until they prove otherwise. No doubt. But there are three big things that will lead one to believe we will improve significantly. Experience, additional 'top' talent, and an improved OL coach. So while I'll be waiting for the proof, i feel there's plenty of support for optimism.

Really virtually all the needs have been addressed and greatly improved on going into next year. Which is why the optimistic projections are palatable. but there are just so many questions. If it were just one, or two even. But in every aspect that looks stronger has no proof. A great running back core, but no idea who is healthy enough or who will carry the pig. Much better WR core, but outside of Decker and a late emerging Green who for sure do we know will be ready. The D looks solid but will the O keep them off the field. New coordinators on both sides of the ball with a stated shift in O philosophy. It's endless. But that only gets in the way of projecting when this team will pull it together and how that will afect the record next year. All bodes very well for 2010 IMHO.

If you're expecting 8 wins, prepare to be disappointed. I really hope this isn't the general consensus prediction amongst all Gopher fans. Please remember the following:

-Brewster's first full recruiting class will be only sophomores, so the increase in talent level still has two years to go before being fully instituted (especially key for OL and DL where player development takes a fulll 3-4 years)
-We are replacing Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Montana St., and Florida Atlantic with Syracuse, Air Force, Cal, and SDSU.
-We will actually play the better of the two BT teams in the state of Michigan.
-We replaced the worst team in the BT (IU) with one of the top two teams (PSU).

If we some how muster 8 wins out of that schedule, under our current circumstances, I'll be expecting Rose Bowl in 2010. Please be realistic! I do not want to have to spend all next season explaining to people our 5-7 record in 2009 is actually improvement over the 7-6 record in 2008.

I would love 8 wins, but I don't see it next year. The O line will have to prove itself and while we are adding depth, we will still be very young in the 2 deep. Add in the coaching changes and I think 6 is more realistic with a possibility of 7 if the O line really develops.

co-sign. just dont see 8 wins, unless something unforeseen starts to roll in favor of the gophers. will be accept 6 wins, although i would never say that 6 would make me happy for next year. seven is that middle ground between possible regression and possible progression.

go gophers.

If you're expecting 8 wins, prepare to be disappointed. I really hope this isn't the general consensus prediction amongst all Gopher fans. Please remember the following:

-Brewster's first full recruiting class will be only sophomores, so the increase in talent level still has two years to go before being fully instituted (especially key for OL and DL where player development takes a fulll 3-4 years)
-We are replacing Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, Montana St., and Florida Atlantic with Syracuse, Air Force, Cal, and SDSU.
-We will actually play the better of the two BT teams in the state of Michigan.
-We replaced the worst team in the BT (IU) with one of the top two teams (PSU).

If we some how muster 8 wins out of that schedule, under our current circumstances, I'll be expecting Rose Bowl in 2010. Please be realistic! I do not want to have to spend all next season explaining to people our 5-7 record in 2009 is actually improvement over the 7-6 record in 2008.

ugh.....potentially home for the holidays for the 2nd time in 3 years...when the gophers were playing in a bowl game 7 times in the previous 8 years...:eek:

ugh.....potentially home for the holidays for the 2nd time in 3 years...when the gophers were playing in a bowl game 7 times in the previous 8 years...:eek:

Next year's team could go 9-3 or better against this year's schedule. I think we really will be a much improved team, due to experience, influx of talent, etc., and all the other reasons that have been previously discussed.

Next year's record may not be a good indicator of how good we are, because next year's schedule is a BIG step up for our program. 7-6 against that schedule would be MUCH more impressive than 7-6 was this year.

Although I loved the Mason era of going to a (toilet) bowl every year, it always rang hollow to me. We always went 3-1 or 4-0 against the MAC or brand-new D-I teams like UL-Monroe or Arkansas State. What does that prove? Nothing. All those games did was make us bowl-eligible. Then we would go 2-6 or 3-5 in conference, finish 7-5 or so, and congratulate ourselves because we're winning games again. Who gives a damn if you can beat the Little Sisters of the Poor? That's why I'm excited to play teams like Cal and Air Force. If we can beat those guys and go 3-5 or 4-4 in conference, then I'll say we're legit and DESERVE to go to a bowl. And a team that can win 7+ games against that schedule will be TOUGH in a bowl game.

Long winded. Sorry. Bottom line is, I think we're 6-6 or 7-5 next year, and will spank someone in a bowl game. We weren't as good as our record indicated this year. We'll be better than our record next year.

i'm glad the rest of you are confident with our line play next year. i am not. people seem to be relying on two things to make our o-line better: experienced players and the addition of carufel and wills.

1. Carufel
2. Wills
3. Tow-Arnett healthy
4. Better coach
5. Whole unit returns

I'm not saying we'll have the best line in the conference, but to me, these five things should equal a much better unit in 09.

It is true the Gophers will have a tougher schedule next year, but I believe it is also true the Gophers will be a much better team, especially at the key areas of weakness last year, one being the OL. I honestly do not know what happened against Iowa other then it was simply one of those games. But overall, I am putting more believe in the Gophers being improved then I am in the tougher schedule!

Too many unknowns

I just think all this speculation is a bit premature...lets wait until spring ball ends and we will know a lot more about the offense, offensive line and some defensive players.

Spring ball should be a good indicator on how well some transfers and grey shirts will play and how much improvement we have seen from our young linemen and receivers.

I am excited about the talent brewster has brought in, but the coaching changes and the scheme changes concern me.

We are a 3-9 team until I see otherwise.

After watching this offense for the last two years and now all of a sudden....a new offense, new OC, new OL coach, new WR coach and suddenly productive? Doubtful. They still have to replace a pass rushing defensive end....a solid safety....Theret's still trying to catch those Jayhawk receivers. 5-6 wins is optimistic. If they don't beat Syracuse, they don't win a road game.

1. Carufel
2. Wills
3. Tow-Arnett healthy
4. Better coach
5. Whole unit returns

I'm not saying we'll have the best line in the conference, but to me, these five things should equal a much better unit in 09.

believe me, i hope you are right.

We are a 3-9 team until I see otherwise.

I can certainly understand pessimism, but... our schedule includes @Syracuse (bad team), home against a weak Purdue team, and home against South Dakota State. Those seem like three relatively easy W's. I can't imagine we would go 0-9 against the rest of the schedule.

I understand your concerns -- they're valid -- but we should win five games, minimum.

I can certainly understand pessimism, but... our schedule includes @Syracuse (bad team), home against a weak Purdue team, and home against South Dakota State. Those seem like three relatively easy W's. I can't imagine we would go 0-9 against the rest of the schedule.

I understand your concerns -- they're valid -- but we should win five games, minimum.

I have doubts that Syracuse will be an easy win and Purdue gives us plenty of trouble. Should be an interesting year.

I have doubts that Syracuse will be an easy win and Purdue gives us plenty of trouble. Should be an interesting year.

Purdue gave us plenty of trouble when they were good. If you missed the memo they fell off in the last few years. Next year they've got a new coach, a new offense, a new QB, a new RB, all their receivers are new...yeah, I don't think the 2009 Purdue team will be as good as the Purdue teams with Brees and Orton at QB that beat the Gophers every opportunity they had.

I'll be very happy with a 8-5 record next year (7-5 and then finally a bowl game win!).

I'd be happy with 6-6 as long as we win most of our home games - especially our first Big Ten home game - and are competitive in the others.

Top Bottom