Olympics in Minnesota?

Help me with the documentation

Maybe we will get the winter games.

Downhill could be held at Buck Hill.

It is so odd (bizarre really) that Buck hill has produced many more Olympic skiers than ALL the resorts in Summit Country.

Hey Classof66 - what's odder still is that I believe this on face value. With no small amount of pride and frostbite, I can say that I learned to ski there. Can you provide any back up on this? It's a stat that I'd love to be able to quote with authority. Thanks!

The key is accessibility...

Right now the transportation system for the Twin Cities is no where near the point of being functional for that many people to get to the Twin Cities and around the area once here. Building up the public transit system without an already stongly established system to build on for such a large international crowd takes a lot more time and money to plan than putting up some more stadiums. Maybe someday the Twin Cities would be ready for it...but not yet.

The Olympics are waste just like the Cubbies are waste of perfectly good MLB team. I'm sorry that was too easy, GopherDeuce. I'm kidding about the Cubs.

I'm just wondering why you are so against the Olympics?

I'm not against the Olympics as an event, however the institution and those leading it are so corrupt, and the local politicians that work along with them are just as unconcerned with their population when considering the games in their cities. If you look at the economic surveys that these cities put out, it will talk about all of the job opportunities, and wonderful other make-believe items, when in truth these events only go to spend tax payer money that could be better used otherwise.

For example, the state of IL cannot fully fund their Metra rail (the system that connects the suburbs to the city), they also cannot fully fund their CTA rail ("The L"). The city schools are so painfully broke it's a ok (apologies for the Dr. Seuss moment). Cook County recently implemented the largest sales tax in the country....and that was just to fund all of the crap they have now, not to fund anything new!

Lastly, specifically to the 2016 games, the Chicago committee has the mantra of "no taxpayer money will go to funding the games", however the State and Cook County have both put aside $500 million for the 2016 FY as a fall back. For a state that cannot put out a budget (let alone one that would even be considered as balanced) it's hard for me to believe that Chicago won't be paying for this for as long as I'm alive.

I have believed that the US, if they want to have an Olympics, it should target smaller cities (Atlanta was perfect) that could better serve the local area with the games. Using a foundation city (i.e. Chicago, NY, LA) just doesn't open the door for providing the most economic impact (should one believe that such positive impact does exists).

Top Bottom