Olympics in Minnesota?

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
Yes that is right people. Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul-have decided to submit a bid for the 2020 summer games. Now we have along way to go, starting with if Chicago gets the games in 2016-which means the earliest they could get back to US would be around 2032, more likely 2036. Then we have to get though the USOC then to though the IOC.

So far the only other places to express interest in host the games in America is Birmingham, Ala and Boston. Now if Chicago doesn't get the 2016 games the field would expand very quickly(most likely including Chicago again). It would almost be harder to get though the American process than the IOC process because the IOC would want to get back to the richest country in the world. Reversely if Chicago gets the games, they should save there money and stop the bid process then.

So my question to the board has a few parts
1. Is it a good idea for Twin Cities to even bid for games?
2. If the Twin Cities get the games is that a good thing overall and more spefically Gopher sports.
3. Would you want TCF to be used for any events? and if so what events.

Yes, yes, and whatever they wanted to use it for. Show the stadium off to the world.

Well if chicago gets the 2016 olympics there will be an olympic event (soccer) held in tcf bank stadium. So whether chicago gets it in 2016 or we get it in 2020, there will be olympics in minneapolis.

1. Monumental waste of time. The Olympics will NEVER be awarded to the Twin Cities. It would be like having a World's Fair in Spokane, WA. The people who are behind this effort must have a lot of time on their hands for pursuing hopeless causes.

2. The Olympics would not be a long term benefit for the Twin Cities or Gopher sports other than to provide us with very expensive sports facilities that we don't really need.

3. Of course Gopher Stadium would be used as one of the sports venues. Soccer games for sure.

Maybe we will get the winter games.

Downhill could be held at Buck Hill.

It is so odd (bizarre really) that Buck hill has produced many more Olympic skiers than ALL the resorts in Summit Country.

When they start considering the twin cities for other major events like, oh IDK like national political conventions, you can't take this talk seriously. Until then it's a bunch of hogwash.

After all we have no major facilities. Only two major arenas, and two major stadiums. Blaine sports complex and numerous smaller facilities with 6 college compuses. Nothing. Our economy doesn't need it either. Just a big PITA problem if you ask me.

I just can't see the TC getting the Olympics, but then again Atlanta got it, so you never know...

If the olympics came here, the Vikes would get their stadium. A hand me down from the olympics would definitley be big enough and nice enough for an NFL team to use. I just don't know if the area can support the number of people, but then again I'm just a rube.

Weren't we the runner-up to Atlanta for the US bid many years ago? I thought we were in on this and came close before.

Originally Posted by From the Barn View Post
World's fair was in Spokane in 1974.
haha. Nice.

I am glad to see that you guys are up on your World's Fair history. I was living in Spokane at the time and their World's Fair was a complete joke. The Olympics should only be held in world class cities. The Twin Cities are not in the top 100. Atlanta should never have been awarded the Olympics and most knowledgeable people will agree that it was the worst Olympics ever.

When they start considering the twin cities for other major events like, oh IDK like national political conventions, you can't take this talk seriously. Until then it's a bunch of hogwash.

After all we have no major facilities. Only two major arenas, and two major stadiums. Blaine sports complex and numerous smaller facilities with 6 college compuses. Nothing. Our economy doesn't need it either. Just a big PITA problem if you ask me.

Yeah definitely. We haven't been in the consideration for national political conventions. :rolleyes:

Nevermind that the RNC was just held here.

Weren't we the runner-up to Atlanta for the US bid many years ago? I thought we were in on this and came close before.

When I originally read mnboiler's thread title, I thought "yeah right, in like a million years...maybe." But upon realizing the above fact, maybe it isn't so far fetched. Personally, I wouldn't mind it. The twin cities would be a showcase for the world, although security and life as a local trying to get anywhere would be a mess for a couple of weeks!!!!:p

As for facilities, I don't think that would be a problem. Part of the deal would be constructing what we need, which could easily be accomplished by 2020 depending upon where the location of these proposed facilities would be. And in that regard, the Vikings would certainly get the stadium they want. Olympic Stadiums are always ridiculously lavish and state of the art (at least recently).

I don't think that we'll be the choice or even in the running, but it certainly isn't as far-fetched an idea as some might think...

Ok I will admit I posted this topic to float my own boat, a little bit. Mainly I wanted to talk about the venues needed.
First of all the Olympic Stadium would need to be a Vikings Stadium. That wouldn't work well two different needs. The Vikings get there own stadium(I won't go into how I think this will happen) I would suggest building a new venue for track and the opening and closing. But now you ask "mnboiler, we don't need to 80000 seats stadiums" and I say you are right. That's why we follow the London model of the Olympic Stadiums. After London is done hosting the 2012 games there Olympic Stadium is designed to be scaled from 80000 to about 20000. What they do is design it to be scaled down to about 17500 to 20000 people and bring a MLS team into the state.

The next big need would be a new basketball arena. The post Olympic use is pretty easy with the Timberwolves. Now you are thinking “mnboiler we have the Target Center” and my idea is that modern stadiums have roughly a 30 year lifespan before they are outdated. Nicely the Target Center will be at that point in 2020. My idea on where to put it would be right where the Target Center sits now. Of course that means the Target Center will need to be torn down, which means, although it might be the end of the world for some posters here, the Wolves would need to play in Williams for atleast a year.

Gymnastic is an easy one they go into the Xcel for everything.

The U really wins when it comes to the swimming and diving because after the games the U gets a brand new Olympic swimming pool. Put it right by Williams and TCF. Everyone wins.

You would need an indoor hall for weightlifting, fencing, etc. most of that could go Roy Wilkins and the Minneapolis Convention Center.

Logically rowing on the Mississippi. Sailing would have to be on Lake Superior.

Some of the more popular non-major sports, like wrestling and volleyball, could go in Williams or the Sports Pavilion. Soccer could go in TCF and the new Vikings stadium.

We also need a Olympic Green where the Stadium goes. Basically it is a big open space where people could meet. I would recommend that the Green goes parallel to 35W from the edge of 65 to where 35W turns north. After the games you could hold art festivals, music festivals, family events, etc. on the green.

Sorry that got a little long.

Atlanta's Olympic stadium became the new home for the Braves, so you are right about them being constructed in a way that a team can us them in the future.

Of course that means the Target Center will need to be torn down, which means, although it might be the end of the world for some posters here, the Wolves would need to play in Williams for atleast a year.

The Wolves would never play at the Barn, its just not practical. If there was ever a need to play somewhere else for a season they would go to the X.

Thank you for pointing that out Zeppelin Gopher. I didn't even think of that. You are very right the Xcel would be a much better place for the Wolves to play.

The last Olympics to make a profit...LA 1980. Montreal's debt from the '76 games was recently paid off. Greece saw a $200 million explosion of last second costs. Cook Co. and the State of Illinois have put aside $1 billion for the Olympics even though they have stated over and over again that no taxpayer dollars will not be used.

Living in Chicagoland, I want no part of the Olympics here, Mpls/St. Paul can have them all they want. The Olympics are a waste and a economical nightmare.

The Olympics are waste just like the Cubbies are waste of perfectly good MLB team. I'm sorry that was too easy, GopherDeuce. I'm kidding about the Cubs.

I'm just wondering why you are so against the Olympics?

A few thoughts...

1. It would take a whole lot to convince me that Twin Cities and the Olympics are a good match.
2. Shouldn't committing ourselves to such a financial risk as the Summer Olympics be out of the question for such a small commercial market as the Cities, especially when we dont know where the economy is going in the next ten years?
3. Doesnt the IOC consider cultural significance when choosing future sites? No offense to us, but wouldn't the Winter Olympics be more fitting our cultural heritage (and budget)?
4. The only reason this seems like a good idea, is that a huge sports related footprint would be left on the area (new Vikings stadium, T-wolves stadium, athletics facilities upgrades at the U). All those things are nice, but that doesn't cover all the risks.
5. Speaking of stadiums, I would most be looking forward to a potential Vikings stadium if this were to happen. But the T-wolves? Do they really need that? When people talk about the streched-thin sports market in the Cities, the first thing i think of is t-wolves games and how empty and depressing that place is. I truly think that the t-wolves would make more money in a different market, and the target center would be better served as a multi-purpose arena, maybe the home of a minor league hockey team, and a site for state basketball tournaments. In other words the money it would take to create a state of the art hoops arena (for the twolves, no less) could be better used somewhere else.

As Deuce points out, the Olympics are a huge waste of money. Essentially, politicians like it because it draws attention to the city, but ultimately who cares? If you want higher taxes and a massive waste of money on a one-time event, then yes be pro-Twin Cities Olympics.

BTW, what would they even call the host city? It's always "Atlanta" or "Athens" or "Salt Lake City." Are they going to just go with Minneapolis or are they going to go with "Twin Cities," which no one outside of the 5-state area really knows?

BTW, what would they even call the host city? It's always "Atlanta" or "Athens" or "Salt Lake City." Are they going to just go with Minneapolis or are they going to go with "Twin Cities," which no one outside of the 5-state area really knows?

My guess would be the same as the airport... Minneapolis/St. Paul

I don't believe it matters anyway, I can believe a Rose Bowl appearance by the Gophers has a much better chance of happening than the Olympics in the "Twin Cities"

I would only hope that the State would get behind and generate as much excitement for the Gophers "drive to the Rose Bowl" as a "push for the Olympics"

I think they would go with Twin Cities, which has a nice ring to it. Minneapolis / St. Paul is too many syllables for the media to say over and over.

Downhill at Buck Hill? would look great on TV to see those mountainous slopes overlooking 35

Downhill at Buck Hill? would look great on TV to see those mountainous slopes overlooking 35

Its a fun thought, but no no way it happens. Buck Hill is waaaaaaayyy to small and simple for an Olympic run. The only even remotely possible olympic ski run in the state would be up in Lutsen. Most likely thats still too small and it would have to be farmed out to either someplace in the UP or all the way out to Colorado or Wyoming....

We are talking "Summer" olympics here aren't we? Do they need a ski run for the Summer Olympics? Launch skateboards down it or something??

Gotta have real mountains for winter olympics, which is why we are never a viable option. Lutsen is no mountain.

Top Bottom