Brewster recruiting

Who was saying this is the first time this team has had talent in years?

Yes. We have a new type of all-buzz and no substance being uttered around here.

We keep hearing about how little ability Brewster's have athletically. But, most of these kids were evaluated for everything from how quick they are off the block to their footwork technique by professionals. Yet, Kill and company are said to be better judges of talent because... wait for it... they have coached at SIU and NIU successfully. Reminds me of the blind men who were asked to describe the elephant in the room... The rating services use measurable attributes to evaluate talent and their technique is fairly robust, reliable and valid.

Minnesota has talent on the team. Even undeniable 4 star talent, which for some reason is being low balled as being without talent. MG has talent. Edwards was blasted for not having talent for some reason on this board and he has yet to play a game. Olsen will start for likely 3 years and he has yet to start a game to be fully appreciated. Carpenter, well, it is uncertain why he has been on the sidelines for most of his games. He has been a mystery. But, this is his last season and we should wait and see what happens with him.

People were saying before Kill was hired that the team had talent in depth for the first time in years and Kill walks in and suddenly we are without talent because he says so.

I know why we lost the NIU game last year. Simple, players were out of position by the calls being made on the sideline and we got burned as a result. Kill didn't as much win that game as the Minnesota coaches failed to recognize how to defend against Kill. We have the players to be good. We had the S&C to be good. We lacked game management. We are being brainwashed into thinking that this is a very major rebuilding year to build Kills reputation later on.

I firmly believe that there is real talent on this team that has greatly underachieved due to a lack of a consistent identity, philosophy, and poor coaching on both sides of the ball. I really believe that had all these things not been an issue and the players were properly developed, guys like Cooper, Carter, J. Edwards, Kirksey, Stoudemire, Gray, and even Tinsley would be further along than what they are now (or in Edwards case should of been). I find it hard to believe with the offers that some of these guys (2008 especially and some of 09) had that they could all possibly have been busts from the start or that Brewster as well as Les Miles, Dennis Erickson, Brett Beilama, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Leach, Bob Stoops, Bobby Petrino, Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson and so on (These are coaches that offered players still on the team) all happened to be wrong on them. It's also important to note that Gray, Carter, Hageman, Cooper, Alipate and Gjere were all HS All-Americans (Rivals and Under-Armour).

I'm not saying the Gophers are going to tear up the Big 10 this year, in fact I think it could be a rough one with the system changes, but I fully expect a lot of these players to play up to their real potential this year and beyond.

I do understand though why Kill needs to lay on the coach speak so thick.

More Secrets

Who was saying this is the first time this team has had talent in years?

Could it possibly be 3M man? My theory, based on earlier musings from him, is that Kill is using him to leak these secrets.

Could it possibly be 3M man? My theory, based on earlier musings from him, is that Kill is using him to leak these secrets.

Musings, yes. Pawn of Kill's, no. Although you could hardly tell it from my recent postings, I love Jerry Kill. The man has heart and soul and a good football mind. KJ, you make me laugh with your passion for Gopher football. We don't always agree, but I love that passion of yours. Keep it up. You don't need my permission to disagree with me -- so keep it up.

Thanks 3M

Musings, yes. Pawn of Kill's, no. Although you could hardly tell it from my recent postings, I love Jerry Kill. The man has heart and soul and a good football mind. KJ, you make me laugh with your passion for Gopher football. We don't always agree, but I love that passion of yours. Keep it up. You don't need my permission to disagree with me -- so keep it up.

Thanks - You must be in sales. It nice to be able to read a civil reply to one of my flippant comments. I do have to say though your passion for the Gophers seems to be right up there with mine.

I actually don't disagree with the points you are making but I sometimes find them a little too black and white and a little inpatient. Recruiting is a good example. From my viewpoint in order to get the kind of players you and most other fans want Jerry is going to need to first turn the culture of the program around. This requires time and patience but also a lot of hard work. And yes, stars do mean something but not as much as coaches’ evaluations. The reality is we are not going to get the answers to your questions for probably two or three years. Meanwhile Jerry focus is going to be getting the most out of his players. I think he will do this because he understands all aspects of building a successful programIt has been said here many times that is what he has done everywhere else. That is the only answer we have to hang our hat on.

Meanwhile, your questions about the class of 2012 are not going to be answered now. Therefore you are just going to have to grin and bear it. You might as well enjoy the ride.

Thanks - You must be in sales. It nice to be able to read a civil reply to one of my flippant comments. I do have to say though your passion for the Gophers seems to be right up there with mine.

I actually don't disagree with the points you are making but I sometimes find them a little too black and white and a little inpatient. Recruiting is a good example. From my viewpoint in order to get the kind of players you and most other fans want Jerry is going to need to first turn the culture of the program around. This requires time and patience but also a lot of hard work. And yes, stars do mean something but not as much as coaches’ evaluations. The reality is we are not going to get the answers to your questions for probably two or three years. Meanwhile Jerry focus is going to be getting the most out of his players. I think he will do this because he understands all aspects of building a successful programIt has been said here many times that is what he has done everywhere else. That is the only answer we have to hang our hat on.

Meanwhile, your questions about the class of 2012 are not going to be answered now. Therefore you are just going to have to grin and bear it. You might as well enjoy the ride.

You are spot on about sales. Been in some form of sales, sales consulting, sales analysis, business development.... 31 years. Definitely am passionate, impatient, etc., for anything Gopher football related, too a fault. Had to have something to discuss over the spring as I was feeling the vacuum of time between the Spring Game and the beginning of fall practice. I think I am over that hump. Thanks for jumping in. A snide comment here or there just keeps it fresh.

And he clearly has no vested interest in making the team appear worse than it is and thus lowering expectations.

and of course last year when the so called experts who happened to be rather accurate called for a 2 win season you were right there to say how wrong they are since no one knows the type of talent this squad has other than those on this board. after the poor start it was all coaching I am sure according to you? as the new HC has again said it always comes down to players. face the fact the players on this squad are not that overall talented. not like we haven't been here before. in 3 seasons we will see how this new HC and his own recruits are doing. it could be there are no more talented than they are now or they could be more talented. we will have to wait and see,

Top Bottom