All Things Kyle Washington Thread - UPDATED (9/23): Commits to North Carolina State

Chris Monter

Reaction score
Kyle Washington received a Wisconsin offer Friday night after his strong play at the Wisconsin team camp this weekend. He is going to play at Hotchkiss Prep this upcoming season and was reclassified as a member of the Class of 2013. Washington played well last weekend at the Nike Top 100 camp in St. Louis. Both Pulley teams made the finals at the Wisconsin team camp, but they choose not play each other in the title game

Chris Monter

Thanks, Chris.

I wish only the best for Kyle and that, of course, would mean he won't wind up at Wisconsin. Nonetheless, a nice offer to add. I wonder if he'll come back home and play for Pulley next summer or wind up with the Gauchos or another squad out east..

Hotchkiss (CT) is an impressive school when it comes to academics. They've had some high major talent recently as well, including '10 Jason Morris who played at Georgia Tech this past year (18 mpg, 6 ppg) and '11 PG Derrick Wilson who is enrolling at Marquette as a freshman this year.

Kyle should get to play forward alongside a future D1 center with some decent potential in Mike Tobey. Tobey is a '12 Virginia commit that currently is on the sidelines with a wrist injury, but he's a big boy (7-footer) that should be good to go for the school's 2011-12 season (and it's possible he'll reclassify back to 2013 as well... then again, it's possible Washington will reclassify back to 2012).

Tobey and Washington's dads were teammates in college at St. Thomas Aquinas.

Chris Monter

Wish the best for Kyle.

Going to miss him in the halls next year at BSM. His future is bright and Hotchkiss will help him out.

I don't see him reclassifying again and think he'll stay in 2013.

Hope the Gophers at least take a stronger look considering he is technically only a rising Junior now.

Washington doesn't turn 17 until August 27th, so he was very young for his age. The extra year should allow him to get bigger and stronger.

Chris Monter

"The world is not small - it's tiny" rings true again... didn't realize the fathers played together.

The Tobey kid is even younger - I believe he doesn't turn 17 until October. Plan was to be a 2013, but had interest from schools as a 2012...

Not having Washington at BSM another year is tough, but I trust that the many other talented and fine young men on the team will represent the extraordinary institution well.

The kid has got great length and can run pretty well at his size.. could turn out being a nice player.

BSM

BSM showed him no love I'da went prep also great move

I was very impressed with Washington at Pulley tonight. He was excellent.

I was very impressed with Washington at Pulley tonight. He was excellent.

+1. I'm even more impressed now to find out he is not yet 17 years old. As thin as he is, he already plays very tough. Has Tubby offered?

I hope we don't wait too long... sounds like he'd be a nice addition.

Hope we offer really soon. Most people have thought Kyle has been a fairly decent BCS Conference prospect for a few months now. I think Tubby needs to pull the trigger earlier. I can easily see Washington becoming a solid 4 star and 92 to 94 on ESPN.

All Things Kyle Washington Thread

per this tweet from Ryan James:

"Kyle Washington was just offered by Minnesota."

Go Gophers!!

I don't share the finally sentiment, but I am just confused as to why this staff seems to have such a difficult time evaluating players. I would guess they have seen Washington play more than anyone else and held the opinion that he wasn't a fit for their system. Now, after multiple other offers, all of a sudden the Gophers offer? Either the player changed, the criteria changed, or other offers influenced them.

If you watched Washington at Benilde you might understand why the Gophers weren't very high on him. With that saying Benilde really didn't try to feature him at all. Probably averaged 5 shots a game and played half the game. It was actually to his fault tha the Gophers have seen him so many times. But you can't doubt he has alot of talent and glad the Gophers finally jumped on board.

I don't know if Washington was a "must offer" type of recruit if he was in 2012, but I do think that he is a legit prospect now that he is in the class of 2013. I think ESPN ranks him as 87, but they haven't changed his rating (he was still 87 when in the class of '12). Now that he's in the class of 2013, I think he should be more in the 92-95 range (4 star; top 100). The reason I think his stock will go up is, because he really is the type of player that could benefit from another year in high school (working on his jumper, putting on pounds, etc).

I think the other offers influenced the gophers a lot. He's a good player, kind of thin and light in the tail.I think his big10 production will be depend on his physical development.

I think the other offers influenced the gophers a lot. He's a good player, kind of thin and light in the tail.I think his big10 production will be depend on his physical development.

He either needs to get taller or develop a very good jump shot, or preferably, both.

Being thin can't keep you from being good. Not comparing the him talent wise, but Bosh and Garnett were very skinny out of high school / college. Their jumpshots, height, and hustle all made up for their lack of weight.

He either needs to get taller or develop a very good jump shot, or preferably, both.

Being thin can't keep you from being good. Not comparing the him talent wise, but Bosh and Garnett were very skinny out of high school / college. Their jumpshots, height, and hustle all made up for their lack of weight.

Good point.
But I view him as not only as skinny, but not mentally or physically tough or strong enough for big10 ball.
But I also think him reclassifying for 2013 will help him develop overall and will be good for him. Wisconsin usually recruits well and they like em, so it must be something to this kid.

Updated rankings 2013 rankings. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/prospects/_/class/2013/set/1

Washington is #55 and #14 Power Forward. He's rated 94 who called it;) ...Could be wrong, but I think the ESPN eval is also updated:
Strengths:
Washington is an extra long and athletic lefty power forward that is oozing with potential. He runs the floor effortlessly. Can finish drop off passes created by dribble penetration on the break and in the half court with length not strength. He is a good area defensive rebounder and can pass the ball over the defense especially from the high post area. Washington is an excellent shot blocker on or away from the ball. He is quick to the ball and does a good job protecting the lane when motivated. Washington also displayed the ability to put the ball down on the floor from the low wing and along the baseline a couple dribbles. Washington could be an excellent red shirt candidate in the right college situation.

Weaknesses:
Washington must add strength and be more aggressive. He has the length and athletic ability to affect the game more than he does. He must also work to develop his right hand and overall skills in addition to putting together some back to the basket moves.

Bottom Line:
Washington's length, athletic ability and mobility is very in intriguing. He runs, rebounds and blocks shots. He is raw offensively, must add strength and be more aggressive but his length and when his is active really can have an impact on the game. He has very good upside and could be a great redshirt candidate.

BTW- Koenig is #57.

It would be pretty sweet if both Koenig and Washington ended up Badgers. :)

On a serious note, I am surprised to see Kyle that high. I can't say I'd ever rank him ahead of Bronson. That said, I think he definitely has some upside with his length and athleticism, but he has a ways to go in terms of skill development. I will be very curious to see what happens with his recruitment when he heads out east for prep school, as the schools involved in his recruitment to this point have been primarily midwestern schools.

Is UNC still interested in Koenig? I remember reading Roy Williams had seen him play a few times.

Is UNC still interested in Koenig? I remember reading Roy Williams had seen him play a few times.

Yes, UNC is still very interested in Bronson, as Roy spent quite a bit watching him in July. Kansas fell off the map after they got a commitment another highly regarded 2013 guard, but Duke jumped in the mix with an offer to Koenig. Even with the Duke offer, it appears that his recruitment is primarily a battle between UW and UNC.

Doe the fact JP Tokato is going to be at UNC play any role in Bronson's decision? Do they know each other?

Doe the fact JP Tokato is going to be at UNC play any role in Bronson's decision? Do they know each other?

JP and Bronson certainly know each other, given that they play in the same AAU program and on the same team from time to time (when Koenig plays up with the 17U team). However, Koenig and Sam Dekker are much better friends than are Koenig and Tokoto. Dekker is a 2012 SF who also plays in the Wisconsin Playground Warriors AAU program. He is committed to UW and is now ranked higher than JP by nearly all of the national scouts. If there is an "I want to play with a friend" angle to Koenig's recruitment, it likely would be an advantage to the Badgers.

Would you rather have J.P. or Dekker though?

JP and Bronson certainly know each other, given that they play in the same AAU program and on the same team from time to time (when Koenig plays up with the 17U team). However, Koenig and Sam Dekker are much better friends than are Koenig and Tokoto. Dekker is a 2012 SF who also plays in the Wisconsin Playground Warriors AAU program. He is committed to UW and is now ranked higher than JP by nearly all of the national scouts. If there is an "I want to play with a friend" angle to Koenig's recruitment, it likely would be an advantage to the Badgers.

While Koenig may be better friends with Dekker, I think the fact one on of the premiere programs in the country has a former teammate and friend/acquaintance of Koenig's should be some what troubling for Wisconsin (or Marquette (I'm a MU fan/grad student) or any other school recruiting him).

Dekker. J.P. isn't on his level look at the rankings.

Agree with this. JP is an elite athlete, but he's not a very skilled basketball player. His athleticism had stood out for years, but his game has not progressed much, which is why he has dropped pretty far in most of the updated rankings. Sam is an underrated athlete and a very skilled perimeter player (shooter, ball-handler, passer) for a kid who's pushing 6'8". I would not trade Sam for JP. From one of ESPN's writers:

Sam Dekker
(Sheboygan, Wis./Sheboygan Lutheran)
When you have a combination of good traits it helps you become that much more effective in big moments during a contest. Having firsthand experience with the Wisconsin commit, as he was on my team at the NBPA Top 100 Camp in June, he showed some vital traits that Badgers coach Bo Ryan will be pleased to work with. Dekker displayed a strong work ethic at the camp, asking to work out after practice and showing up before the camp started for drills. He displayed incredible toughness during the camp when he had a floating rib but insisted on playing. He said "let's just wrap it up" and not only did he play he rebounded and even took a charge. That's toughness. Plus, his desire to learn the game from whoever is coaching is refreshing and his basketball IQ is quite evident because of it. Dekker is a hard worker who is tough and wants to be a student of the game, which is a nice combination.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...ens/story/_/id/6847137/espnu-100-superlatives

UNC recruiting Bronson so hard is definitely a concern. Chapel Hill is a great place and the basketball program is certainly elite, definitely a tough place to turn down whether a friend/acquianttance is there or not. Quite honestly, I expected Koenig to commit to UNC not too long after JP did back in the spring. That has not happened, and we are hearing that UW is in very good shape in Bronson's recruitment. Having Dekker on board certainly helps UW's chances of keeping him at him. Beating out UNC and Duke for Koenig would be huge for UW in my opinion.

Top Bottom