Gopher Baseball - Recruiting

It isn't that troubling. They lost out on the Centennial kid, but he's going to Arizona. If they are recruiting against the likes of Arizona, they probably aren't going to win that battle very often. Other than that these kids are going to Georgetown, Kansas State, NDSU, Iowa Central Community College and Bradley. None of those are power houses. I am assuming they didnt recruit these kids, or didn't recruit them that hard. I've heard great things about that Roseville kid, but Fornasiere has the type of player he likes and he might not have been that player.

Also, Spring is such a short season and some of the best players might have started off cold or hit a small hot streak and then their numbers were all out of whack. You just never know. I remeber my senior year, you should have seen some of the numbers put up by the best players in the state, kids that were going to play for the U and many other schools. Not that great, its hard to judge a player by a small 20 game sample size and that is what these All State and All Metro teams are based on.

Needless to say, if a guy ends up at a school like Bradley, they probably weren't recruited that hard by the U. I am not trying to take anything away from Bradley, but the U is a much better baseball program in a better conference, with better facilities and more $$.

Anderson's track record of finding good ball players in Minnesota is pretty darn good. Not really worried that none of these guys are coming to the U. His record speaks for itself.

The man (and the program) deserves a new ballpark, and soon.

Impact Frosh in 2012?

Congrats to Pettersen, Gominsky, and O'Shea on being drafted and signing pro contracts. Loved having those guys while they were here. Very good players from day 1 in the maroon and gold. However, losing those three is going to hurt.

Does anyone know if any of the Frosh coming in next season (including those that were redshirted this season) are impact type players that can immediately contribute and help the team?

Anyone have an opinion on who replaces the aforementioned three in the field?

I'm very aware of Anderson's track record, and losing the kid to Arizona is understandable. Not knowing what the Gopher staff's impressions were of the kid going to Georgetown and the kid going to KSU, and having seen neither in person yet, it raised my eyebrows a little that these two guys (seemingly very good players) are going to decent programs far, far away.

I have faith; but I would have liked to have gotten the Malinowski kid (especially if Arizona recruited him - he must be pretty good for them to come all the way up here for a kid)!

I wish just a couple million of that big $51 million medical grant were going to the U of M baseball program - just a couple.

I wish just a couple million of that big $51 million medical grant were going to the U of M baseball program - just a couple.

Me too. Truth is, as hard as this is for me to say as a long-time Gopher basketball fan, if push comes to shove and one has to come before the other, I'd rather John get his ballpark before Tubby gets his practice facility. His commitment to this university, this program & this state over a long period of time deserves to be rewarded. I hope the U does him right.

Me too. Truth is, as hard as this is for me to say, if push comes to shove and one has to come before the other, I'd rather John get his ballpark before Tubby gets his practice facility. His commitment to this university, this program & this state over a long period of time deserves to be rewarded. I hope the U does him right.

+1

Does anyone know who the incoming recruits are or might be, for this upcoming season or has it not been released yet?

Recruits coming in

According to collegebaseballinsider.com here are the early signees for 2012:

Drew Ghelfi RHP La Crosse, Wis./Iowa Central CC
Jordan Jess LHP Ripon, Wis./Ripon
Jake Bergren OF St. Charles, Ill./North
Ben Meyer RHP New Brighton, Minn./Totino Grace
Tony Skjefte 2B Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie
Lance Thonvold RHP Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie
Ty McDevitt RHP Apple Valley, Minn./Eastview

Pretty sure McDevitt hurt his arm and didn't pitch much his Senior season but haven't heard much about the other players coming in.

Kyle Crocker and Michael Handel will be redshirt Frosh next season as well.

Not sure the Gophers had any chance whatsoever to land Malinowski but if they could have their top 4 starting pitchers for next season would've probably been Oakes (assuming he doesn't sign), Windle, Lubinsky (assuming he doesn't sign), and Malinowski. That is a starting staff that gets teams to Super Regionals. Maybe another young arm will step up like Windle did this season. That would be huge.

Have to believe the current stadium situation isn't helping the program with recruits. 100% agree with 'TCF' and 'Selection Sunday' above--> #14's stadium needs should trump Tubby's practice facility. It's not even close in my opinion.

Top Bottom