Ferentz gets new deal

Loooks like we have to deal with coach Ferentz for quite a while longer. Iowa has given him an extension through the 2015 season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3902684

As long as he keeps bringing in some of the worst Big Ten recruiting classes he can stay there as long as he wants. I've mentioned this before, but his recruits the past few seasons have been brutal, Glen Mason esk, look for them to had some bad seasons in the near future.

Yep, it kinda looks like that is the case. Next year will be telling. Did they graduate a bunch of guys this year. My four year recruiting analysis would suggest they're losing a bunch of talent this year. Is this correct?

not sure who all in terms of numbers, but Shonn Green and Andy Brodell on O, and Kroll and King on D forsure. I think O-line will still be solid next year, but without a good QB or RB who knows if that will matter.

I'm not saying anything about Iowa until we have anywhere near the same success they have had. Two Big Ten titles, I'll take one.

Ferentz has won two Big Ten titles, been to five January bowl games in Florida, and three Alamo Bowls with recruiting classes almost identical to the one he just inked. His staff has done a good job of identifying "football players" who are "less-hyped athletically" (Gallery, Steinbach, Sanders, Clark, Consodine, Hinkel, Greenway, etc., were all lowly-regarded recruits). The only time they didn't do that was their big-time 2005 class and all that class caused them was problems. They are back on track with what got them success. They are a big like the Patriots in that they pay much less attention to jumping jacks and push-ups, and much more attention to whether a guy can read a quarterback's eyes or know when to cover the flat, etc. They have a great strength and conditioning coach who helps develop those guys, too.

I have Iowa tabbed as a top four finisher in the Big Ten next year. They'll return one of the top offensive lines in the league, which is important in the Big Ten.

As long as he keeps bringing in some of the worst Big Ten recruiting classes he can stay there as long as he wants. I've mentioned this before, but his recruits the past few seasons have been brutal, Glen Mason esk, look for them to had some bad seasons in the near future.

What about 55-0 don't you understand? He is very good at finding and developing under-the-radar talent. I love the Gophs, but this guy is a darn good coach. I hope Brewster has the same rep in 5 years.

Ferentz has finally got the Iowa City mafia to sit down and shut-up. They were the ones that pushed the win-at-all-cost/recruit speed-not character philosophy that just about destroyed the program. Flame away.

I realize its one game. What about Shonn Green don't you understand??? If that guy doesn't get admitted back into school that team wins 4 games. I'm not taking credit away from past accomplishments, just simply stating the guy's worst recruiting efforts have recently occurred, now get off your pedestal.

...the guy's worst recruiting efforts have recently occurred...

The guy's worst recruiting effort was 4 star Jake Christensen.

Don't get me wrong, stars matter. To be able to replace an injured 5 star player with another 5 star player certainly reduces the margin of error. But there are other ways to reduce the margin for error and Ferentz, I think, is just hitting his stride in that regard. I look for us to challenge for the title (barring major injuries) next year despite losing Green and King. We were one of the younger teams in the BT last year and I think the experience gained will be a plus for us this year.

I do not regard this as good news.

I would actually like to see the Vikes make a play for him...kill two birds with one stone, y'know.

I realize its one game. What about Shonn Green don't you understand??? If that guy doesn't get admitted back into school that team wins 4 games. I'm not taking credit away from past accomplishments, just simply stating the guy's worst recruiting efforts have recently occurred, now get off your pedestal.

Considering Iowa's backup was a true freshman in Jewel Hampton and he rushed for 5 yards a carry and Shonn rushed for 6. Jewel's an OK back, and he got 5 behind the Iowa offensive line. I think Shonn is a pretty good back, but I pin a lot of his success last year on exceptional offensive line play.

The only thing that made Shonn unique was that he was able to bounce off tacklers and pick up extra yards better than anyone in the country. I think Jeff Brinson will take his place next season and if they commit to giving him the majority of the carries I could see him as a 1,500 yard rusher.

Iowa had a stellar recruiting class in 2005 according to people like you who only look at Stars. Many of the higher star players (including your boy Rafael Eubanks from Cheatin' Durham Hall) have been incredibly disappointments, while the higher 3 star players have been exceptional.

Also, 55-0, didn't realize Shonn was playing defense all season too.

Open ass, insert head.

I feel like the only reason Ferentz recruited semi-poorly is because the word around town for quite a few years was that Ferentz was leaving for the nfl. No recruit wants to deal with that in the middle of his college career. And other Big Ten/Big 12 coaches drove that idea home in the minds of potential Iowa recruits. Now that it looks like he'll stay for a while, his recruiting will do much better, im afraid.

Considering Iowa's backup was a true freshman in Jewel Hampton and he rushed for 5 yards a carry and Shonn rushed for 6. Jewel's an OK back, and he got 5 behind the Iowa offensive line. I think Shonn is a pretty good back, but I pin a lot of his success last year on exceptional offensive line play.

The only thing that made Shonn unique was that he was able to bounce off tacklers and pick up extra yards better than anyone in the country. I think Jeff Brinson will take his place next season and if they commit to giving him the majority of the carries I could see him as a 1,500 yard rusher.

Iowa had a stellar recruiting class in 2005 according to people like you who only look at Stars. Many of the higher star players (including your boy Rafael Eubanks from Cheatin' Durham Hall) have been incredibly disappointments, while the higher 3 star players have been exceptional.

Also, 55-0, didn't realize Shonn was playing defense all season too.

Open ass, insert head.

Keep making excuses that Ferentz and staff "look for the under-rated guys" and make them better. God your an idiot. He does that because everyone knows Iowa is a hell-hole and he has to settle for those recruits because nobody wants to tell their family and friends they are going to spend 4/5 years of their life in that shit state.

And I love how you farm boys look at the one game like its a tell all for the talent of each team. Yes Iowa was better last year, but there were worst Gopher teams that have beaten/played close better Iowa teams. The stars just aligned that night, just can't wait for these next years down the road when I can see the talent the Gophs have coming in make its way through the depth chart and I can shove our success up the ass of every Hawkeye fan I see. By far and away the most delusional fan in America. I guess thats what happens when your next choice for a good time is cow tipping.

I think you and the rest of your cronies should go to a doc to get your "Napolean's Syndrome" check out, it may be affecting your quality of life. But hey, I shouldn't talk, I've never had to live a day in the life of someone who has to admit they grew up in the most laughed at state in America.

For anyone who is a fan of Southpark, who remembers the caveman episode where the caveman doesn't feel accepted and tries freezing himself again? Best part of that episode is when Cartman tries talking him out of it and says "hey Caveman, don't feel bad, look there are other people just like you", then whips out a "Come visit Iowa" magazine. Hilarious, just highlights how the rest of America feels about your shit state.

re

Yea, not sure why we think we are such angels, video phoning a passed out chick getting boned probably counts for about 18 incidences.

Let it go, sonny, you are not making good choices here. They had a lot of minor alcohol charges and we both have 1 major item + the willie v. thing was pretty bad as well. We are in no position to throw stones. See the Clint Brewster thread too, do you think he sat in his room and got blown away by himself?

Let it go, sonny, you are not making good choices here. They had a lot of minor alcohol charges and we both have 1 major item + the willie v. thing was pretty bad as well. We are in no position to throw stones. See the Clint Brewster thread too, do you think he sat in his room and got blown away by himself?

dude, i was agreeing with him. i think both schools have had ugly incidences that are embarrassing, hence the "i don't know why we think we are angels". but i still stand by my orig point that the hawks have had some terrible recruiting classes lately.

Yea, not sure why we think we are such angels, video phoning a passed out chick getting boned probably counts for about 18 incidences.

There wasn't penetration or it would have been a more serious offense. Read between the lines of the charges if you want to figure out what actually happened.

Keep making excuses that Ferentz and staff "look for the under-rated guys" and make them better. God your an idiot. He does that because everyone knows Iowa is a hell-hole and he has to settle for those recruits because nobody wants to tell their family and friends they are going to spend 4/5 years of their life in that shit state.

And I love how you farm boys look at the one game like its a tell all for the talent of each team. Yes Iowa was better last year, but there were worst Gopher teams that have beaten/played close better Iowa teams. The stars just aligned that night, just can't wait for these next years down the road when I can see the talent the Gophs have coming in make its way through the depth chart and I can shove our success up the ass of every Hawkeye fan I see. By far and away the most delusional fan in America. I guess thats what happens when your next choice for a good time is cow tipping.

I think you and the rest of your cronies should go to a doc to get your "Napolean's Syndrome" check out, it may be affecting your quality of life. But hey, I shouldn't talk, I've never had to live a day in the life of someone who has to admit they grew up in the most laughed at state in America.

For anyone who is a fan of Southpark, who remembers the caveman episode where the caveman doesn't feel accepted and tries freezing himself again? Best part of that episode is when Cartman tries talking him out of it and says "hey Caveman, don't feel bad, look there are other people just like you", then whips out a "Come visit Iowa" magazine. Hilarious, just highlights how the rest of America feels about your shit state.

Making excuses? Are you really that stupid? I'll trust Kirk Ferentz and his staff's opinions on players over some beat writer for Rivals.com that looks at 30 seconds of grainy high school film and looks at who else is offering.

Yes, one game, that's what we base it on. Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with beating Penn State, stomping South Carolina, and piss pounding and overwhelming the Gophers in the last game of the Dome. No one's really arguing that Minnesota will have the talent level coming in to improve, but you're also assuming that you're used car salesman of a head coach is going to be able to convert that talent to wins on the field. You have no reason at all to be cocky, yet.

Why are you so defensive about Iowa? This thread started out about discussing Kirk Ferentz' contract, and since you have nothing of substance to attack him on, you need to resort to lame insults. Buddy, I lived in the Twin Cities for 2 years, my family is from Southern Minnesota, it's not different at all. It's not like Minnesota has such a grand reputation to the rest of the country, man. Fargo?

Why are you so defensive about Iowa? This thread started out about discussing Kirk Ferentz' contract, and since you have nothing of substance to attack him on, you need to resort to lame insults. Buddy, I lived in the Twin Cities for 2 years, my family is from Southern Minnesota, it's not different at all. It's not like Minnesota has such a grand reputation to the rest of the country, man. Fargo?

"Why are you so defensive about Iowa?" - not defensive about Iowa at all little buddy, just been around enough of them to know they are some of the rudest fans I've ever been around. They just aren't able to put a sporting event into perspective, which I'm guessing has something to do with growing up in a state as pathetic as Iowa. Just stating facts and make fairly sound assumptions.

"since you have nothing of substance to attack him on" - when have I attacked Ferentz??? In fact, if you go look at past Ferentz posts I think I write how this guy is amazing and is the sole reason for Iowa's success, and that I hoped he'd get snatched up by a pro team. I have simply stated his recent recruiting classes have been pathetic.

"It's not like Minnesota has such a grand reputation to the rest of the country" - rated #1 in U.S. health and intelligence rankings. By the way, how is the big city treating you? I'm sure your still adjusting, it'll take a little time, hang in there.

"Why are you so defensive about Iowa?" - not defensive about Iowa at all little buddy, just been around enough of them to know they are some of the rudest fans I've ever been around. They just aren't able to put a sporting event into perspective, which I'm guessing has something to do with growing up in a state as pathetic as Iowa. Just stating facts and make fairly sound assumptions.

"since you have nothing of substance to attack him on" - when have I attacked Ferentz??? In fact, if you go look at past Ferentz posts I think I write how this guy is amazing and is the sole reason for Iowa's success, and that I hoped he'd get snatched up by a pro team. I have simply stated his recent recruiting classes have been pathetic.

"It's not like Minnesota has such a grand reputation to the rest of the country" - rated #1 in U.S. health and intelligence rankings. By the way, how is the big city treating you? I'm sure your still adjusting, it'll take a little time, hang in there.

That's funny, because you haven't said a remotely respectful thing about Coach Ferentz.

Making up things to cover your ass isn't a good way of arguing.

That's too bad about running into bad Iowa fans. In my general experience with most Gopher fans, they've have good encounters with Iowa fans and understand they're as passionate about their team as anyone in the country (which if you don't like it, tell your fan base to fill up more than 40% of the Dome during Iowa/Minnesota games).

Remember to look in the mirror, if they're being jerks to you they might be the following the Golden Rule. If you're going to hate a fan base based on a few drunken idiots, you might as well hate every college program and professional team in the country.

I'd be curious to see the intelligence rating if you left the state. It would likely skew the number even higher.

I moved out, I got my education and returned home. I enjoyed the Twin Cities, "Minnesota Nice" is an overrated cliche, but overall most people were nice. I have no hate for the Gopher program, but I do have hatred for functioning retards like yourself with no perspective, intelligence, or tact.

Sit down.

Making excuses? Are you really that stupid? I'll trust Kirk Ferentz and his staff's opinions on players over some beat writer for Rivals.com that looks at 30 seconds of grainy high school film and looks at who else is offering.

Yes, one game, that's what we base it on. Wouldn't happen to have anything to do with beating Penn State, stomping South Carolina, and piss pounding and overwhelming the Gophers in the last game of the Dome. No one's really arguing that Minnesota will have the talent level coming in to improve, but you're also assuming that you're used car salesman of a head coach is going to be able to convert that talent to wins on the field. You have no reason at all to be cocky, yet.

you are fooling everyone pantherhawk........LMAO

I haven't read all the posts but I don't think much of kf. He recruits a bunch of thugs that don't go to class and gets away with it. You talk about overpaying someone look at him. He took over a program from fry the cheater. No one from Minnesota should ever go to school in iowa.

If I was an Iowa fan this would piss me off.
They guy mails in his recruiting the last two years and he gets rewarded for it.
I think we can start calling them Indiana West.
They will finish in the 9-11 range for years to come.

I haven't read all the posts but I don't think much of kf. He recruits a bunch of thugs that don't go to class and gets away with it. You talk about overpaying someone look at him. He took over a program from fry the cheater. No one from Minnesota should ever go to school in iowa.

LOL

Top Bottom