TCF Bank Stadium - Feb 12 pictures

People here underestimate the allure of outdoor, on campus football. Any success at all will make it very difficult to get tickets to Gopher games.

Since when?

Technically I think the student tickets are tied to your ID. But I'm also pretty sure that the ID's never get checked meaning that students are able to sell the tickets "illegally".

When the Vikes leave town (which is better than 50-50), it will be the only football ticket in town. .

That would be awesome!! Vikes leave town, Gophs add on the extra ring around the top. What are the real odds of this happening? Hopefully good now that the Vikes feel its necessary to beg for a new stadium when our state budget is in the shitter, get these greedy fools out of town, I'd rather the city get behind a bunch of college guys playing for a college scholarship than the bunch of spoiled athletes on the Vikings.

Not sure why, because I am a big Minnesota fan and love the twins and wild, but I find myself rooting against the Vikings every Sunday. Its either because I loathe professional football players or because Vikings fans (Rubes) are extremely pathetic individuals. Either way, I'd love to see them move to LA!!!

That would be awesome!! Vikes leave town, Gophs add on the extra ring around the top. What are the real odds of this happening? Hopefully good now that the Vikes feel its necessary to beg for a new stadium when our state budget is in the shitter, get these greedy fools out of town, I'd rather the city get behind a bunch of college guys playing for a college scholarship than the bunch of spoiled athletes on the Vikings.

Not sure why, because I am a big Minnesota fan and love the twins and wild, but I find myself rooting against the Vikings every Sunday. Its either because I loathe professional football players or because Vikings fans (Rubes) are extremely pathetic individuals. Either way, I'd love to see them move to LA!!!

What the hell is your problem? Are you trying to piss people off? Go ahead and have your (horribly misfounded) opinions about Vikings players, but don't you dare call an entire fan base "extremely pathetic" because they happen to enjoy following the team.
It's been said before, and I'll say it again. Whether the Vikes stay or leave, it will hardly matter either way in terms of fan interest in the Gophers. You think people who have never followed the Gophers anyway, and are fans of professional football, are going to think they can find a reasonable substitute in a team that's been extremely mediocre for 40+ years? I love my Gophers, but the only thing that will generate interest in this team outside of boosters and alumni is winning. Period.

People here underestimate the allure of outdoor, on campus football. Any success at all will make it very difficult to get tickets to Gopher games.
People also underestimate how much Minnesotans are drawn to all things "new". See Krispy Kreme or Sonic for examples. They had people lining up for donuts for crying out loud. It'll be a tough ticket for the first couple of years, after that, it'll go back to a ghost town if the team's not a winner.

What the hell is your problem? Are you trying to piss people off? Go ahead and have your (horribly misfounded) opinions about Vikings players, but don't you dare call an entire fan base "extremely pathetic" because they happen to enjoy following the team.

Sure, whatever Rube. I'm sure your in your 30s or 40s and enjoy painting your face purple and have multiple vikings jerseys, I would be pissed off to if I did that shit.

And no, I don't have horribly misfounded opinions about Vikings players. I understand that there are really good people and really terrible people on all professional football teams. But there are enough that are overpaid and ungrateful (i understand there are some great ones, ie randall mcdaniel, etc) that make me refrain from being a Rube.

Whats funny is you find all this loyalty from within the Vikings, like this franchise gives a rats ass about you. Funny thing is, while they take all the hard earned money from the Rubes in this state, they could care less about you and would move the team in a heartbeat if it meant making more money.

Los Angeles here we come baby!!!!!!!!!!

I am relieved to see these pictures.

All the models I saw were, like, maybe 25 inches around--WAY too small to play football in.

zoolander-school.jpg

You're right Studwell. It should be at least three times as big as those models.

Sure, whatever Rube. I'm sure your in your 30s or 40s and enjoy painting your face purple and have multiple vikings jerseys, I would be pissed off to if I did that shit.

And no, I don't have horribly misfounded opinions about Vikings players. I understand that there are really good people and really terrible people on all professional football teams. But there are enough that are overpaid and ungrateful (i understand there are some great ones, ie randall mcdaniel, etc) that make me refrain from being a Rube.

Whats funny is you find all this loyalty from within the Vikings, like this franchise gives a rats ass about you. Funny thing is, while they take all the hard earned money from the Rubes in this state, they could care less about you and would move the team in a heartbeat if it meant making more money.

Actually, nope. In my 20s, never painted my face in my life, have owned one Vikings jersey in my life (a Randy Moss #84 bought in 1998). But even if I were, what relevance does that have to anything?
Your use of blanket statements is awesome. Clearly, all Vikings players are overpaid and ungrateful. Care to give some examples of how the Vikings have so many more of these types of players than any other sports teams out there? Any personal experience?
I remember sitting on my dad's lap, watching AC torch the 49ers for 227 yards in the '87 playoff game. Being really excited when Herschel ran for 100 and change in his first Vikes game, including the long kickoff return when he lost his shoe. Sitting in my dorm room and being devastated after Gary Anderson went wide left. But, thank you. Thank you for enlightening me. I needn't have bothered investing my time and money in this team. Obviously, because you say so, all of us are a bunch of "extremely pathetic individuals." Dick.
Way to ignore my questions, too. At least your posts haven't used the word "retard" in a while. So you're getting better there.

Actually, nope. In my 20s, never painted my face in my life, have owned one Vikings jersey in my life (a Randy Moss #84 bought in 1998). But even if I were, what relevance does that have to anything?Your use of blanket statements is awesome. Clearly, all Vikings players are overpaid and ungrateful. Care to give some examples of how the Vikings have so many more of these types of players than any other sports teams out there? Any personal experience?
I remember sitting on my dad's lap, watching AC torch the 49ers for 227 yards in the '87 playoff game. Being really excited when Herschel ran for 100 and change in his first Vikes game, including the long kickoff return when he lost his shoe. Sitting in my dorm room and being devastated after Gary Anderson went wide left. But, thank you. Thank you for enlightening me. I needn't have bothered investing my time and money in this team. Obviously, because you say so, all of us are a bunch of "extremely pathetic individuals." Dick.
Way to ignore my questions, too. At least your posts haven't used the word "retard" in a while. So you're getting better there.

(Bold in above quote mine) This is when I wish there was a clapping icon. I'm with dpodoll on this. Plenty of Vikings fans annoy the crap out of me (especially the ones who desperately want Favre to come play for us) but supporting the Vikings doesn't make someone a Rube. Nor are all Vikes ungrateful...Matt Birk comes to mind. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Vikes, but that's mostly because i've become very ambivalent about the NFL over the last 8 years (while my love of college football has grown exponentially). I think its bad for MN and the Cities overall if they leave, but I have to admit I wouldn't care all that much if they were gone. I agree with the posters who feel that it would have a short term impact on the Gopher's attendance. Winning is the only way our fan base get sustainably bigger.

Apparently we aren't allowed to be well rounded complete Minnesota sports fans anymore....

I love all MInnesota teams...hell I'll even root for the Lynx if I get desperate enough....

The Vikings leaving might give a slight uptick to Gopher football, but its still not like its the only two things going on in this state...

We really don't want to be a Madison. We like 4 professional sports teams along with college teams as well.

(Bold in above quote mine) This is when I wish there was a clapping icon. I'm with dpodoll on this. Plenty of Vikings fans annoy the crap out of me (especially the ones who desperately want Favre to come play for us) but supporting the Vikings doesn't make someone a Rube. Nor are all Vikes ungrateful...Matt Birk comes to mind. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Vikes, but that's mostly because i've become very ambivalent about the NFL over the last 8 years (while my love of college football has grown exponentially). I think its bad for MN and the Cities overall if they leave, but I have to admit I wouldn't care all that much if they were gone. I agree with the posters who feel that it would have a short term impact on the Gopher's attendance. Winning is the only way our fan base get sustainably bigger.

What about GOING to vikings game.

Fans at the Vikings game were enough to make me never want to see a game again.

Watch nearly every game on tv, but I rather not be at a game.

I am a die hard Vikings fan and part of me would die if they left.

I am personally offended by the people who say that the Vikings don't matter to Minnesota (or Iowa and the Dakotas). Just because they dont matter to you (you people who want them to leave so bad) does not mean they should leave. By telling people this, you have shown your selfishness, and it is embarrassing.

Do NOT say that the NFL is irrelevant, or that it does not bring in money to the cities. That is simply a lie. I would judge that over the last fifteen or so years, the Vikings have done a better job of filling the same dome with more fans than gopher football.

What if the U decided it wanted to focus on football. The hockey program is cut and most of the funding for the basketball team is cut too. In the short term and long term, football would become better off through more alumni support, media attention and ticket sales, etc. But at what cost??? We then would be like Lincoln, Nebraska.... basically a football team and nothing else. When you think of Lincoln, do you think of a town with high and varied culture? Nope.

Whether YOU (you know who you are) like it or not, the Vikings ARE a part of the culture of the Twin Cities. Deal with it. I'm not a huge fan of the twolves, but I dont think they need to go to LA for the greater good of the gopher basketball program. I believe that the U is perfectly capable of competing with these pro teams.

Oh and for those who say that a crappy stadium, a bunch of &^%hole fans and an underachieving team means that the team should leave town, I give you....(drumroll)...

The Chicago Bears. (pre-stadium upgrade)

They have many great fans, but there are a LOT of jerks too. Trust me, growing up just outside chicago, I have seen the worst Chicago has to offer when it comes to football fans. There were people who complained about soldier field being inadequate and how the team sucked (really, really sucked in those days).

The Bears almost moved....to Gary, Indiana. Ouch, chicago.

But now, with a newly redone stadium, and some decent teams the last few years, they are the most important team in town.

Did it hurt Illinois, Northwestern, or Notre Dame Football that they stayed? Nope. Illinois has turned up up big time since the bears played there for a year. We all know what northwestern can do each year. And Notre Dame's struggles are internal.

Actually, nope. In my 20s, never painted my face in my life, have owned one Vikings jersey in my life (a Randy Moss #84 bought in 1998). But even if I were, what relevance does that have to anything?
Your use of blanket statements is awesome. Clearly, all Vikings players are overpaid and ungrateful. Care to give some examples of how the Vikings have so many more of these types of players than any other sports teams out there? Any personal experience?

"Never painted my face in my life" - LIE

"Owned one Vikings jersey in my life" - LIE, feel free to tell us about your collection

"Care to give some examples of how the Vikings have so many more of these types of players than any other sports teams out there?" - Hey moron, did you read my post?? Or do you usually change others words to what you want to hear?? I believe I said I realize ALL professional sports teams have good AND bad players. But for the MOST part they are all spoiled brats. If you don't agree with that its because your a Rube.

"Sitting in my dorm room and being devastated after Gary Anderson went wide left." - You sure your in your 20's?? Do your math again.

"At least your posts haven't used the word "retard" in a while." - So not only are you a Rube, you research people's posts, nice life retard :)

"Way to ignore my questions, too." - Not sure what your talking about, do you know what your talking about??

Hope this helps Rube

(Bold in above quote mine) This is when I wish there was a clapping icon. I'm with dpodoll on this. Plenty of Vikings fans annoy the crap out of me (especially the ones who desperately want Favre to come play for us) but supporting the Vikings doesn't make someone a Rube. Nor are all Vikes ungrateful...Matt Birk comes to mind. sustainably bigger.

Did I say somewhere that "all Vikes areungrateful"???? Someone will have to clue me in on how that started. I said I realize there are some who are great people, but there are ENOUGH who are spoiled and ungrateful for me to hate professional football.

"Owned one Vikings jersey in my life" - LIE, feel free to tell us about your collection

"Care to give some examples of how the Vikings have so many more of these types of players than any other sports teams out there?" - Hey moron, did you read my post?? Or do you usually change others words to what you want to hear?? I believe I said I realize ALL professional sports teams have good AND bad players. But for the MOST part they are all spoiled brats. If you don't agree with that its because your a Rube.

"Sitting in my dorm room and being devastated after Gary Anderson went wide left." - You sure your in your 20's?? Do your math again.

"At least your posts haven't used the word "retard" in a while." - So not only are you a Rube, you research people's posts, nice life retard :)

"Way to ignore my questions, too." - Not sure what your talking about, do you know what your talking about??

Hope this helps Rube

Dude....chill out. You are looking more and more like a troll now.....

Before you go bitching me out, I know you aren't, but seriously....settle down.

His math does work out by the way....1999 NFC championship game was 10 years ago..in the member survey he said he is turning 29 in 2 weeks...so he would have been 18 in 1999. Thats a freshman in college in a dorm room. You really should not throw stuff out there like an idiot, its not helping anyone here respect your opnions.

who is this sonnygarcia f.a.g.?! seriously bud, just shut up already about your hate for the vikings. you sound like that d-bag gophervotary when it comes to the vikes. you have no clue how big the vikings are when it comes to the minneapolis sports scene. i love the gophers, but i am able to accept that the vikings are the #1 draw and have been for a while.

with all of the unsubstantiated b.s. (i.e. hate) you are throwing around about the vikings franchise you sound more like a transplanted cheeseville fuch to me. doth protest too much?

finally, half the time all you seem to do is try to flame on this board or piss people off. what is your problem? get over yourself pal!

Dude....chill out. You are looking more and more like a troll now.....

Before you go bitching me out, I know you aren't, but seriously....settle down.

His math does work out by the way....1999 NFC championship game was 10 years ago..in the member survey he said he is turning 29 in 2 weeks...so he would have been 18 in 1999. Thats a freshman in college in a dorm room. You really should not throw stuff out there like an idiot, its not helping anyone here respect your opnions.

word. his math works out perfectly. i was also a college freshman in a dorm watching the 1999 NFC championship game and screaming at gary anderson along with everyone else on my floor.

Hope this helps Rube

You are seriously the biggest douche I've seen yet on this board, and that's saying something when the member list includes Loon, GopherGod, jshow, etc. They, for the most part, are just trying to instigate arguments. You seem like you are geniunely idiotic.

Let me do a bit of basic math for you. It is now 2009. As of March 1, I will be 29 years old. Therefore, I was born on March 1, 1980. The Vikings played in the NFC Championship Game on January 17, 1999. Since I hadn't had my birthday yet that year (I know it's self-explanatory for some, but I want to speak slowly and using small words so you understand), I was 18 and a freshman in room 922 in Middlebrook Hall at the University of Minnesota. Still with me? Here, let's try it like this...

1998 (year of my last birthday at that point)
- 1980 (year of my birth)

Trying to make it as elementary for you as possible.

Not that I need to explain myself to you, but no, I have never once in my life painted my face. Once, when I was a senior in high school, when our boys' basketball team made it to state, a group of us painted our chests and ran around like idiots. Our team name was Northstars, so I painted an "N" on my chest. Is that OK with you?

Also, I did not research your posts. I was the one that called you out on your classy use of the word "retard" (which you did again here...niiiice) a few weeks ago. Unlike some pea-brained imbeciles (read: you), I actually have the ability to remember things that happened earlier than 5 minutes ago.

I find myself rooting against the Vikings every Sunday. Its either because I loathe professional football players...

Ergo (big word, I know...look it up), you by definition are cheering for the opposing team. You don't hate all professional football players; you are fueled by some irrational, infantile hate for the Vikings, and you, without even a rudimentary (see Merriam-Webster, under R) knowledge of the Twin Cities sports scene, think that it would somehow benefit the Gophers if they left. Not only is that stupid, it's completely short-sighted. It's a fact that some players commit here because of the big-city amenities (like, for example, pro sports teams) we have to offer. We wouldn't have that to our advantage anymore if the Vikings, Twins, etc. left town. As others have said, we would turn into Madison, Iowa City, Lincoln in the eyes of recruits. Could be good in the eyes of some people, but not in the purview of this intrepid sports fan.

Oh, and one more thing. Have your mom give at least a cursory glance to your posts before you submit them, so she can catch things like "you're/your". It makes things easier to read for those of us with higher than a 5th-grade education.

Hope this helps Rube

This was enlightening. You're a jacka**. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom