Reusse 1500 column: Tubby's next club just might be OK

Wow. Slow (sports) news day, indeed. This might be the first time I am less optimistic about a MN sports team than Reusse.

I think these guys can be pretty good, and if Osiniecks can really shoot mid and long range they could be very good. The thing I like the best about the new guys is that Hollins and Welch are legitimately smart kids on and off the court, and my impression is that Coleman is as well. I like smart active players, especially smart guards.

Let's face it, if no one can step up the guard play next season, we're in for some major problems. BUT, if either Welch or Hollins turn out to be the answer to PG woes, and then we get some very solid wing play from the likes of both Hollins', Chip, Coleman, and Rodney, we could be right back in the top 25. It's all about the guards/wings next season IMO.

Let's face it, if no one can step up the guard play next season, we're in for some major problems. BUT, if either Welch or Hollins turn out to be the answer to PG woes, and then we get some very solid wing play from the likes of both Hollins', Chip, Coleman, and Rodney, we could be right back in the top 25. It's all about the guards/wings next season IMO.

The guard play seems to be the easy answer, the consensus opinion of the fans as to what the problem was last year, but IMO the primary issue this last year was that nobody could hit a jumper outside of 4-6 feet. Let's face it, once Devoe left, the second best, most consistent shooter from outside of 6 feet (after Blake) was RALPH SAMPSON III. Really?

Guards/PG's look a lot better when they're passing to people who can actually shoot. If that doesn't change this year, teams will continue to pack it in against the Rodents and it could be a long season...

The guard play seems to be the easy answer, the consensus opinion of the fans as to what the problem was last year, but IMO the primary issue this last year was that nobody could hit a jumper outside of 4-6 feet. Let's face it, once Devoe left, the second best, most consistent shooter from outside of 6 feet (after Blake) was RALPH SAMPSON III. Really?

Guards/PG's look a lot better when they're passing to people who can actually shoot. If that doesn't change this year, teams will continue to pack it in against the Rodents and it could be a long season...

Well, when I say guard/wings, I kind of include shooting within that. The PG, whoever ends up starting, is gonna of course need weapons who can put the ball in the basket, and that's where the guys I mentioned before HAVE to step up. Not necessarily be pure shooters or anything, but you gotta be able to produce points in more ways than just in the paint from those positions.

Wow. Slow (sports) news day, indeed. This might be the first time I am less optimistic about a MN sports team than Reusse.

If you want entertainment, you should listen to Ruesse and the other guy on 1500 at 12:00. It will make you chuckle when they talk about the Twins, they constantly try to put lipstick on that pig of a baseball team. :pig:

They would be all over Tubby and the Gophers if they ever had the worst record in college basketball, but they lay off the Twins. I guess you have to give Gardy credit, he has most of those ESPN1500 guys buffaloed.

I honestly thought Reusse was saying Tubby was headed to Oklahoma. I am so conditioned to think that way around here.

Question: Does Ruesse's latest new found love for the Gopher ballers have anything to do with 1500 getting basketball radio broadcasting rights next year? Debate

(KFAN certainly seems less antagonistic toward Gopher FB after getting their broadcasting rights--although the demise of Brewster may have an equal part of that change in coverage).

I think these guys can be pretty good, and if Osiniecks can really shoot mid and long range they could be very good. The thing I like the best about the new guys is that Hollins and Welch are legitimately smart kids on and off the court, and my impression is that Coleman is as well. I like smart active players, especially smart guards.

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Reusse - Twins

If you want entertainment, you should listen to Ruesse and the other guy on 1500 at 12:00. It will make you chuckle when they talk about the Twins, they constantly try to put lipstick on that pig of a baseball team. :pig:

They would be all over Tubby and the Gophers if they ever had the worst record in college basketball, but they lay off the Twins. I guess you have to give Gardy credit, he has most of those ESPN1500 guys buffaloed.

I think you must be confused. Reusse had ripped the Twins quite often on the airwaves, online and in print, Gardy included. Its been deserved.

That pig of a baseball team belongs to the St.Paul Saints, whose pig for a mascot this year has been named Justin Bieboar. :pig: :pig: :pig:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/05/11/meet-justin-bieboar-saints-newest-pig-mascot/

I love Mike Veeck's attitude toward family fun at baseball games. The same nonsense happens at games at the F/M Redhawks games.

Shielder - I'm not a big Twins fan but the Twins have easily been the most successful significant sports team in Minnesota over the last 25 years. I think it's pretty easy to give them a little slack for this start considering what they have produced in the past.

Shielder - I'm not a big Twins fan but the Twins have easily been the most successful significant sports team in Minnesota over the last 25 years. I think it's pretty easy to give them a little slack for this start considering what they have produced in the past.

Tom Kelly deserves all the credit in the world, but what have the Twins produced under Gardy? Kelly handed Gardy the keys to a playoff ready team that won the ALDS and then lost the ALCS in 2002, Gardy has not won a playoff series since. His postseason record is 6 - 21 (.222%), a 1-6 playoff series record, and has lost 12 STRAIGHT playoff games. In my opinion, that is not successful.

At least Tubby has won a Championship with a postseason record of 29-15 (.659). I find it hard to believe the local media and fans would forgive Tubby for losing 12 straight tournament games. Tubby is the one and only current coach (Twins, Wolves, Wild, Vikings, Gophers Football, Gopher Basketball) that can say he has won a championship.

I know pro baseball and college basketball are two different animals, but if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it’s Tubby. I also understand this is a Gopher Baketball site, so I'll tone it down on the Twins going forward.

I agree 100%. You nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shielder
they constantly try to put lipstick on that pig of a baseball team.

That is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shielder
they constantly try to put lipstick on that pig of a baseball team.

That is false.

Are the ESPN1500 boys still blaming injuries for the Twins problems this spring? Are they going after Gardy the way they went after Tubby this year? Tubby's team had to deal with injuries last season, Ruesse decided to call him a fraud and whatever else. When I hear Ruesse calling out Gardy (not some AAA player) and he doesn't give him a pass because of injuries, I'll agree with you. I'll listen this week when Ruesse and his patner have Gardy on and I'll let you know how it goes. I'll guessing they'll be kissing his a$$ as usual. I still say Gardy has them buffaloed.

Question: Does Ruesse's latest new found love for the Gopher ballers have anything to do with 1500 getting basketball radio broadcasting rights next year? Debate

(KFAN certainly seems less antagonistic toward Gopher FB after getting their broadcasting rights--although the demise of Brewster may have an equal part of that change in coverage).

This is most certainly true (a declaration, not from the catechism).... I'm a regular KFAN listener and I must say that the change in tone has been a complete 180 about the gopher football team. Brewster was a fraud, but Barreiro, who can rip just about anyone for any reason, seems to be extremely open-minded about coach Kill. To Kill's credit, he has a great record and a coaching history which we couldn't really even analyze in his predecessor. I am excited about football on KFAN if for no other reason than to turn the tide from the criticism standpoint.

Top Bottom