OFF SEASON

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Need a little education. Spring ball is over. Players are now on their own. Can they work out with our strength coordinator? Does anyone oversee them to see how they are doing or are they completely on their own until fall practice starts? And if they are on their own, it must be a coach's nightmare wondering what the heck is going on.

Need a little education. Spring ball is over. Players are now on their own. Can they work out with our strength coordinator? Does anyone oversee them to see how they are doing or are they completely on their own until fall practice starts? And if they are on their own, it must be a coach's nightmare wondering what the heck is going on.

IIRC The short answer is yes the S & C coach can interact with players/ guide workouts. I think he is the only coach that can supervise or just watch workouts, etc.

First no player is on his own. Each one should have met with position coaches and has a set of goals, techniques, and drills to master before the fall camp. Strength and conditioning goals. And when you hear comments about how many players are staying on campus, or reporting during the summer, or attending voluntary drills it is a measure of commitment. The 7 on 7 drills, field goal kicking, punting, should be taped. The time spent lifting needs time off between sessions. Burst drills, 10 yard times, 40 yards times, and shuttle times will be taken.
This is where the work is done and it certainly is not time off or do what you want time.

that was then, this is now. The former Coach had little accountability. I was shocked last year when the Big 10 crew was hear for the fall camp. They had a session with then 5th year senior Adam Weber. They asked him what was different about this year, and Weber said this is the first year I spent in the gym lifting and conditioning, he went on to say he had avoided the strength and conditioning. Griffith and DiNardo were shocked he said it, and there was a long pause.
This from the Captain. When he said that, I thought how in the world can you allow that as a Coach? And how much of the disfunctiion was caused by this?

This staff realizes each day you are getting better or falling behind. And when Coach Kill said we will work harder than anyone. I take him at his word.

that was then, this is now. The former Coach had little accountability. I was shocked last year when the Big 10 crew was hear for the fall camp. They had a session with then 5th year senior Adam Weber. They asked him what was different about this year, and Weber said this is the first year I spent in the gym lifting and conditioning, he went on to say he had avoided the strength and conditioning. Griffith and DiNardo were shocked he said it, and there was a long pause.
This from the Captain. When he said that, I thought how in the world can you allow that as a Coach? And how much of the disfunctiion was caused by this?

This staff realizes each day you are getting better or falling behind. And when Coach Kill said we will work harder than anyone. I take him at his word.

Did you play at Neb? I have read your explanations of strength and conditioning programs, and theory, in the past and you clearly know way more about that than most of us, me in particular. The three things I am most impressed with in this staff, are their commitment to a balanced and rigorous s&c program, their focus on individual fundamentals, literally blocking and tackling, and finally the fact that everyone is accountable every day. (I was at multiple practices, and that part is not in doubt.)These kids will really grow up playing for these guys. If you see the S&c part differently I would like to hear your opinion, because you are the only person on any site I have read that seems to actually understand the theory of what is going on in S&C programs. Personally, I think the lack of fundamentals at fighting off blocks killed us on the d-line last year, and maybe for several years, even if one likes the gap control defense (I don't, but some people make it work well). The idea that these kids can at least execute at the top level of their potential, or close to it,is really exciting to me no matter what the level of wins is next season.

That pretty well explains the late season collapses in 07, 08, and 09. Brew was taking wind sprints at the end of practices and his players were munching on cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes.

Top Bottom