Ron Johnson??

FiveStarFan

Reaction score
Just a thought but with the WR coach spot opening I heard recently that former star gopher WR Ron Johnson was considering getting into coaching. I think he loves this university and is young enough to really connect to young players. He also has NFL expirience which kids look up to.

Just throwing a name out there and he would have my support.

Not sure what his teaching ability is but that seems like a fantastic choice for the reasons you mentioned. Plus he's the best wr in school history.

Ditto. It would be perfect, plus it's be a while before he's qualified to move on. We might keep him for a few years.

Who did he play in the NFL for??

I think that would be a very nice addition to the staff. Especially cuz the OC as experience coaching receivers as well. Johnson could get his feet wet at first.

Who did he play in the NFL for??

I think that would be a very nice addition to the staff. Especially cuz the OC as experience coaching receivers as well. Johnson could get his feet wet at first.

Baltimore

Also just throwing a name out there: Tony Levine.

COACHING HISTORY
2008-present • Houston •Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends/Inside Wide Receivers
2006-07 • Carolina Panthers • Assistant Special Teams/Assistant Strength
2004-05 • Louisville •Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
2003 • Louisville • Director of Football Operations
2002 • Louisiana Tech • Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2000-01 • Auburn • Graduate Assistant
1997-99 • Texas State • Asst. Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
1996 • Highland Park HS (MN) • Assistant Coach/Freshman Head Coach

Ditto. It would be perfect, plus it's be a while before he's qualified to move on. We might keep him for a few years.

I think he would stay for more than a couple years given that he would be given the chance to move up when he was ready. I'm not sure if anyone has heard this man speak since he has graduated. He is a very well spoken and loyal man to this university.

I'm sorry but it is killing me where I heard the info that he was interested in coaching. I know it was during a game broadcast, just not sure who or when it was.

Also just throwing a name out there: Tony Levine.

COACHING HISTORY
2008-present • Houston •Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends/Inside Wide Receivers
2006-07 • Carolina Panthers • Assistant Special Teams/Assistant Strength
2004-05 • Louisville •Special Teams Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
2003 • Louisville • Director of Football Operations
2002 • Louisiana Tech • Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2000-01 • Auburn • Graduate Assistant
1997-99 • Texas State • Asst. Wide Receivers/Tight Ends
1996 • Highland Park HS (MN) • Assistant Coach/Freshman Head Coach

Tony Levine would be another awesome hire. Just not sure a coach with his titles in the NFL would drop down to a college WR coach.

I think he would stay for more than a couple years given that he would be given the chance to move up when he was ready. I'm not sure if anyone has heard this man speak since he has graduated. He is a very well spoken and loyal man to this university.

I'm sorry but it is killing me where I heard the info that he was interested in coaching. I know it was during a game broadcast, just not sure who or when it was.

They did a thing on him pregame during one of the early gopher games. i thought it said he was helping out at another school. but yeah, I heard it too.

Not hating on Ron Johnson, I really like the guy. But do we actually want someone with zero coaching experience to be a D-IA position coach? Or are you just hoping for a Gopher?

Personally, I think the idea of making Fisch the receivers coach and hiring a good QB coach is the best answer.

Ok I like the Johnson idea but he doesn't have any Florida connections, at least that I am aware of. I mean Mcdonald was huge in this class for recruiting in Florida. If Brewster is confident that Johnson can help continue to recruite the state of Florida well, then I think he would be a great hire.

I wouldn't be against the Johnson idea. He was a very good receiver for the Gophs, always fun to watch. I believe he would be able to teach the knowledge he has of the position to young players. I think that would also help establish him as a recruiter, especially with the NFL credentials.

Unless Johnson is the rare type of person that is a natural coach, then I don't see him jumping in as the wide receivers coach. There's a huge difference between playing and coaching. Coaches have the ability to breakdown a players movement from the set to the end of the play, recognize any deficiency, and affectively teach the player how to improve.

I'd love to see Johnson get on the Gopher's staff, I'm just not sure he's ready to be a position coach.

Agree

Not hating on Ron Johnson, I really like the guy. But do we actually want someone with zero coaching experience to be a D-IA position coach? Or are you just hoping for a Gopher?

Personally, I think the idea of making Fisch the receivers coach and hiring a good QB coach is the best answer.

I think it would be a huge positive for WR recruits to come to the U if our WR coach was previously a WR coach in the NFL. and with all of our talent at QB we could really boost their play with a qualified and experienced QB coach, a reason why I was hoping for either Heupel/Applewhite.

Ok I like the Johnson idea but he doesn't have any Florida connections, at least that I am aware of. I mean Mcdonald was huge in this class for recruiting in Florida. If Brewster is confident that Johnson can help continue to recruite the state of Florida well, then I think he would be a great hire.

He is from the Detroit area so I would imagine that would be his area. I would imagine Fisch would be able to do a decent job in Florida being that he graduated from Florida and worked with Spurrier which in the state of Florida has to mean something.

I agree with the talk of Fisch being more of a QB coach rather than WR. Everything flows through the QB in an offense so having the OC mainly spending time with the QB's is natural not bouncing back and forth between WR's and QB's. That to me would sound like a very tough job.

Nothing new to add, just highlighting what has been said:

1. Brew probably wants someone with ties to Florida for recruiting
2. Fisch needs to concentrate on QBs, not WRs
3. Johnson needs to work his way up to receivers coach. I know it seems fashionable lately to hire people lacking in experience, but at least a little exposure to it would be nice and a team can only hire so many on the inexperience. I honestly think Davis presence will halp Fisch be successful, so I am not that worried there, but Brew needs a solid hire that top WR recruits can connect with.

i would like to see levine. i dont know that he would drop down to the college level as cduff mentioned but he is a good coach and is supposed to be a good recruiter. heard about him from his days at louisville

i see. thanks for correcting me. just looked him up. maybe he would come to the U then. he recruited florida well while at louisville and now that he is at UofH then he probably has some contacts there as well.

Top Bottom