Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What We Know about 2011 ACC/Big Ten Challenge?

I haven't seen it confirmed that the contract was extended, but let's assume the two conferences will go head to head once again this season.

Here's what we know.

(1) With the addition of Nebraska, all 12 teams from each conference will participate. The Cornhuskers (obviously) and Miami-Florida were absent last year.

(2) Maryland and Michigan State are both highly likely to play at home. Both have played on the road in each of the last two challenges.

(3) Clemson and Wisconsin are both highly likely to play on the road. Both have played at home in each of the last two challenges.

(4) Michigan State will not play North Carolina or Duke. Sparty plays North Carolina on Nov. 11 on an aircraft carrier in San Diego and also will also play Duke on Nov. 15 in the inaugural Champions Classic.

(5) Michigan will not play Duke. Both are part of the Maui Invitational.

(6) The Gophers will not play Wake Forest. Both are part of the Old Spice Classic.

(7) Purdue will not play Maryland. Both are part of the Puerto Rico Shootout.

(8) Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Purdue are more likely to play at home than on the road.

(9) Illinois, the Gophers, Northwestern, Penn State and Wisconsin are more likely to play on the road than at home.

(10) Georgia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State and Virginia are more likely to play at home than on the road.

(11) Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest are more likely to play on the road than at home.

(12) That leaves Miami-Florida with a likely home game and Nebraska with a likely road game.

So with that backdrop, here's a stab in the dark at the pairings we'll see in late November. I have avoided rematches from this past season.

ACC Home Games
    Illinois @ Maryland
    Minnesota @ NC State
    Nebraska @ Virginia (relegated to Monday)
    Northwestern @ Miami-Florida
    Penn State @ Georgia Tech
    Wisconsin @ North Carolina (Tuesday or Wednesday prime-time marquee ESPN matchup)

Big Ten Home Games
    Boston College @ Iowa
    Clemson @ Purdue
    Duke @ Ohio State (Tuesday or Wednesday prime-time marquee ESPN matchup)
    Florida State @ Michigan
    Virginia Tech @ Michigan State
    Wake Forest @ Indiana (relegated to Monday)
    Last edited by SelectionSunday; 04-07-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Given our luck I'm betting that yet again... Gophers will play Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Rouser View Post
    I think it is a 'protected rivalry'.

4. Default

We'll get VA again...have we played 1 semi-decent ACC team in the last 4-5 years?

5. Default

Purdue has requested a road game in the next ACC/B1G Challenge to better balance their NC schedule the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    ACC Home Games
    Illinois @ Maryland
    Minnesota @ NC StateNebraska @ Virginia (relegated to Monday)
    Northwestern @ Miami-Florida
    Penn State @ Georgia Tech
    Wisconsin @ North Carolina (Tuesday or Wednesday prime-time marquee ESPN matchup)

Big Ten Home Games
    Boston College @ Iowa
    Clemson @ Purdue
    Duke @ Ohio State (Tuesday or Wednesday prime-time marquee ESPN matchup)
    Florida State @ Michigan
    Virginia Tech @ Michigan State
    Wake Forest @ Indiana (relegated to Monday)
    Seth Davis may be right after all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rouser View Post
    I think it's FSU's turn in the rotation of the 2 or 3 teams we're allowed to play.

I don't understand why Miami would have a home game. They are due to play on the road - their last 2 games in the Challenge were both at home, and they got pretty good home games at that (OSU and Minnesota, two NCAA tourney teams those seasons). Miami has benefitted from this Challenge by having some good home games, they sat out last year, but they owe the Big Ten a home game. There tends to be a team or two get back-to-back home games or road games, I think the fact that Miami certainly is due a road game could cause that. You could give NW a road game with UVA and Nebraska a home game with Miami and not change anything else, though, so maybe they don't have to fudge the home/away sequence much.

Good point about Miami. I only went back two years, so I didn't look where Miami played in 2008.

Default B10/ACC

The only redeeming feature of The Big 10/ACC Challenge has been that it has meant at least ONE team from a Power 6 conference has appeared in the Barn every other year. Personally, I think the event is stale and wouldn't be the least bit sad if it was put out to pasture a la the Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Challenge.

It's going to be difficult (actually, it's probably impossible) for them to schedule 12 games and make it fair in terms of who's owed a home game and who's owed a road game, and still end up at 6 home/road for each conference. The ACC had the majority of home games last year (6-5), and with Miami also owing a road game, there are seven teams in the ACC that theoretically should be playing on the road, so perhaps a 7-5 split with the B1G getting the lionshare of the home games is in order.

OSUfan, I heard that the Schedule will all be figured out by Jim Tressell and a tatoo artist. Or is this just a rumor?
    I think I'm losing my mind, but as long as I don't lose the part that tells me when I haffta pee, I'll be all right..

Personally, I'd love an @NC State game ... to go in there and win would be cool just because of all the rumors.

Any chance Tubby can schedule Cal or Oregon or Iowa State as a Non Conference opponent? Would be some entertainment for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowinGoldyLove View Post
    We'll get VA again...have we played 1 semi-decent ACC team in the last 4-5 years?
    Well there was that one time last year when we played North Carolina...

Lol, but yeah, I know what you mean

Have we ever played anyone other than Virginia or FSU in the 'Challenge?'

Quote Originally Posted by gophmeister View Post
    Have we ever played anyone other than Virginia or FSU in the 'Challenge?'
    I know you were being sarcastic, but here's Minnesota's run of opponents

1999: v. Virginia (W 74-62)
    2000: @ Florida State (W 79-71)
    2001: @ Wake Forest (L 85-79)
    2002: v. Georgia Tech (W 64-63)
    2003: @ Virginia (L 86-78)
    2004: v. Florida State (L 70-69)
    2005: @ Maryland (L 83-66)
    2006: v. Clemson (L 90-68)
    2007: @ Florida State (L 75-61)
    2008: v. Virginia (W 66-56)
    2009: @ Miami (L 63-58)
    2010: v. Virginia (L 87-79)

Just for anyone who was truly curious about our run in the challenge. Virginia (4 times) and Florida State (3 times), have been seen quite a bit in the (7 out of 12 times). Also interesting is that we started 3-1 in the first four years, but have one win since '03.

I would imagine we'll see the pairings in about a month. Last year the pairings were released in the second week of May.

18. Default

Matchups coming next month, but the home / away Big Ten teams have been announced:

Home: Iowa, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, tOSU, Purdue

Away: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, NW'n, Penn St, Wisconsin

My best guess is the Gophers will host BC.

I think they will have the group of Duke @ OSU, FSU @ MSU, Miami @ Purdue, UW @ Maryland, Mich @ NC be the group of top matchups, although I could see them having Indiana @ NC to have the "Zeller bowl" of sorts. It really will be a dilemma who they should matchup @ UNC - assuming that UNC will have a home game, it's got to be one of IL/IN/Mich/UW and I don't think any of those teams are going to be able to give NC a game.

Thanks GW. You haven't heard anything about the home & road teams from the ACC?