Tubby records P.S.A. for foundation benefiting former UK recruit, John Stewart

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Stewart was a kid that Tubby recruited at UK that died of a heart condition in March before he was going to enroll at UK and play for Tubby. I believe Tubby had Stewart's parents honored at what would have been Stewart's senior night four years later and has maintained contact with their family many years later. Here is the P.S.A. that they just launched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXR1iQL7OdI

Here is information on the John Stewart Foundation:

http://johnstewartfoundation.com/

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, Bleed for a great post. I hope the PSAs encourage better medical screening for all the young players. Too many have died on the court or other fields of play. I wonder where these PSAs will play...?

Stewart was a kid that Tubby recruited at UK that died of a heart condition in March before he was going to enroll at UK and play for Tubby. I believe Tubby had Stewart's parents honored at what would have been Stewart's senior night four years later and has maintained contact with their family many years later. Here is the P.S.A. that they just launched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXR1iQL7OdI

Here is information on the John Stewart Foundation:

http://johnstewartfoundation.com/

Go Gophers!!

I think there was a similar post about Stewart last year or a year before. Yes, Tubby did invite Stewart's parents on his senior day. I remember Tubby crying for several minutes during the introduction. He really cares for his players.

Go Gophers

This says a lot about Tubby as a person, no doubt. We're fortunate to have a coach with a lot of class, and one who seems to have "the big picture" in mind.

But let's be honest, even the coaches a lot of us consider slick or slimey (the likes of Calipari, Calhoun, Pearl) care about their players. There are quite a few greaseballs in the D-I coaching business -- guys willing to walk the gray area and then some -- but that doesn't mean those guys don't care about their players. One only needs to look at the support Jim Calhoun received from his former players at the Final Four. It was a who's who of former UConn stars. I don't think those guys would show up if they didn't think a lot of Calhoun as a man and coach, or if they didn't think he cared about them as individuals.

This says a lot about Tubby as a person, no doubt. We're fortunate to have a coach with a lot of class, and one who seems to have "the big picture" in mind.

But let's be honest, even the coaches a lot of us consider slick or slimey (the likes of Calipari, Calhoun, Pearl) care about their players. There are quite a few greaseballs in the D-I coaching business -- guys willing to walk the gray area and then some -- but that doesn't mean those guys don't care about their players. One only needs to look at the support Jim Calhoun received from his former players at the Final Four. It was a who's who of former UConn stars. I don't think those guys would show up if they didn't think a lot of Calhoun as a man and coach, or if they didn't think he cared about them as individuals.

What's going on SS? Are you in an argumentive mood today. I never said they didn't care. If they didn't they wouldn't have paid so much money to the players' families to recruit them :)

Go Gophers

Good call, SS. I hear that organized crime people care about their people, too. Tubby is a class act, but loyalty to players is only one small part of it.

Good call, SS. I hear that organized crime people care about their people, too. Tubby is a class act, but loyalty to players is only one small part of it.

You are right, loyalty to players is one small part of it. For example, Cal was so loyal to Jones that called him MF over and over for not passing the ball in front of thousands or millions at home. I undersatnd the meaning of loyalty now. Thanks.

Go Gophers

No harm intended, Truth. More than anything, just trying to point out that the large share of coaches (though quite a few of them are dishonest or a little bit greasy like Calipari, etc.) do care about their players. I don't think Tubby is unique in terms of caring about his players. That's all I was trying to say.

No harm intended, Truth. More than anything, just trying to point out that the large share of coaches (though quite a few of them are dishonest or a little bit greasy like Calipari, etc.) do care about their players. I don't think Tubby is unique in terms of caring about his players. That's all I was trying to say.

As always, I agree with you. Was only joking.

Go Gophers

Top Bottom