What the $#%! is a HELMET school?

pointer

Reaction score
I've played and followed football for nearly all my 31 years of life and I am wondering when the hell "helmet school" became the sexy phrase to describe elite programs? It seems the past six months I can't read a single recruiting thread without someone mentioning helmet schools.

Yes, I understand the concept; it's a program so accomplished it is recognizable by its helmet. My question is what CONSTITUTES a helmet school? Seems to be a wide range of definitions, usually set to best serve someone's opinion.

A Helmet School is a College that puts helmets on the heads of non-students that play football so they do not get non-concussions on non-brains? I don't know, that is the way I look at it.

Who ever came up with the term helmet school needs to be shot. Just plain dumb!

OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Penn State, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU. Georgia might still be in there too.

OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Penn State, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU. Georgia might still be in there too.

Tennessee and Auburn would be on that list before Georgia, but you have to draw the line somewhere or 2/3 of the SEC is on it.

That's my point, you chose those schools based your own subjective criteria. Several of those schools do not have a national championship in the past 20 years or longer.

Recruiting class rankings? Bowl victories? Bowl appearances? Players to the NFL? The phrase really means nothing.

Tennessee and Auburn would be on that list before Georgia, but you have to draw the line somewhere or 2/3 of the SEC is on it.

100% agree on Tenn. Whiffed on that one. Auburn is tricky. They aren't the big dog in their state on they just won the belt (although I suspect it might be taken away). Auburn and Oregon are kind of in the same boat. Major players right now, but they don't have the sustained history of some of the other schools I consider to be "helmet schools".

100% agree on Tenn. Whiffed on that one. Auburn is tricky. They aren't the big dog in their state on they just won the belt (although I suspect it might be taken away). Auburn and Oregon are kind of in the same boat. Major players right now, but they don't have the sustained history of some of the other schools I consider to be "helmet schools".

I always thought that Auburn looked too much like Arizona to qualify.

Back before leather helmets it was just judged by recognizable hair style.

I will list all of the schools who wear helmets
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Northwestern
Illinois
Indiana
Purdue
Notre Dame
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Ohio State
Pitt
Rutgers
West Virginia
South Florida
Syracuse
Louisville
UConn
Cincinnati
Boston College
Va Tech
NC State
Maryland
Ga Tech
North Carolina
Duke
Miami
Virginia
Clemson
Wake Forest
Florida State
Florida
Georgia
Vandy
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Auburn
Alabama
Arkansas
Texas
TexasA&M
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
Army
Navy
Air Force
Colorado State
UNLV
TCU
BYU
Utah
Boise State
Utah State
San Diego State
San Jose State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Idaho
Cal
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Washington
Wazzu
Oregon
The beavers
Colorado
Louisiana Lafayette
North Texas
Louisiana Monroe
Tulane
SMU
Tulsa
Memphis
Central Florida
ect.

That's my point, you chose those schools based your own subjective criteria.

Pretty much anyone who follows college football would give the same list, plus or minus one or two schools. It's not very subjective at all.

pointer said:
Several of those schools do not have a national championship in the past 20 years or longer.

Name three.

I've played and followed football for nearly all my 31 years of life and I am wondering when the hell "helmet school" became the sexy phrase to describe elite programs? It seems the past six months I can't read a single recruiting thread without someone mentioning helmet schools.

Yes, I understand the concept; it's a program so accomplished it is recognizable by its helmet. My question is what CONSTITUTES a helmet school? Seems to be a wide range of definitions, usually set to best serve someone's opinion.

This is.

Attachments

• Misconsota.JPG
    Misconsota.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 26

That's my point, you chose those schools based your own subjective criteria. Several of those schools do not have a national championship in the past 20 years or longer.

OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Penn State, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU. Georgia might still be in there too

OSU - 2002
ND - 1988 (just outside 20 years)
Nebraska - 1994, 1995, 1997
Michigan - 1997
Miami - 1991, 2001
Oklahoma - 2000
Texas - 2005
Alabama - 2009
PSU - Undefeated in 1994, but no NC in last 20 years
Florida - 1996, 2006, 2008
FSU - 1993, 1999
USC - 2004
LSU - 2003, 2007

I would argue that 2 is not several.

OSU, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Penn State, Florida, FSU, USC, LSU. Georgia might still be in there too

OSU - 2002
Michigan - 1997
Miami - 1991, 2001
Oklahoma - 2000
Texas - 2005
Alabama - 2009
FSU - 1993, 1999
USC - 2004
LSU - 2003, 2007

I don't consider Georgia and Tennessee on the list. I agree with the rest of it. These school have championships, history, and National followings.

OSU - 2002
Michigan - 1997
Miami - 1991, 2001
Oklahoma - 2000
Texas - 2005
Alabama - 2009
FSU - 1993, 1999
USC - 2004
LSU - 2003, 2007

You conveniently left Georgia off your list, it was on the original list I was referring to which would bring the total to THREE.

sev·er·al   
[sev-er-uhl, sev-ruhl] Show IPA
–adjective
being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind: several ways of doing it.

respective; individual: They went their several ways.
separate; different: several occasions.

Besides, my initial question wasn't who is a helmet school, it was what constitutes a helmet school? Either way its a retarded phrase, but if it makes people feel smarter by saying it, then go ahead.

You conveniently left Georgia off your list, it was on the original list I was referring to

No, it wasn't.

Besides, my initial question wasn't who is a helmet school, it was what constitutes a helmet school? Either way its a retarded phrase, but if it makes people feel smarter by saying it, then go ahead.

Wow - clueless and offensive! A real dual-threat!

Quit while you're behind.

I’d define a helmet school as a program so steeped in tradition that it is easily recognizable by any casual college football fan. If this school was absent from the polls it would be surprising and likely to be remedied soon. They can walk into any high school in the country and command the attention of a recruit.

Freaky Deke’s list is pretty solid. I’d probably say Georgia and Penn State are on the outside looking in as are Tennessee, Auburn and Texas A&M.

Personally, I like the phrase.

It's a Gopherholeism. If you say "helmet school" anywhere but here, you will be greeted with blank stares.

It's a Gopherholeism. If you say "helmet school" anywhere but here, you will be greeted with blank stares.

Ha. Wow. Are you just typing to be included in the thread? You don't truly belive what you just typed, do you?

dpodoll68,

Do you not read Georgia there at the end? Yeah, it was on his list. Don't get mad just because you missed it and asked me to name 3 schools, which I did. I suppose if you had realized that, you would have asked me to name 4, right?:rolleyes:

dpodoll68,

Do you not read Georgia there at the end? Yeah, it was on his list. Don't get mad just because you missed it and asked me to name 3 schools, which I did. I suppose if you had realized that, you would have asked me to name 4, right?:rolleyes:
Might is a qualifier. That means I view it as more debatable than the rest of my list. It's an opinion. There are no hard and fast rules. Settle down.

Might is a qualifier. That means I view it as more debatable than the rest of my list. It's an opinion. There are no hard and fast rules. Settle down.

Hmmm, now I'm confused. I was asked to name 3 from the list and I did. According to you, there are no hard and fast rules (it's an opinion), but dpodoll has already informed me that the list isn't subjective. Why don't you guys put your heads together and get back to me when you have a concrete answer?

dpodoll68,

Let's take a look at this post analytically.

33dlh6v.gif

See that large red arrow up there? It's pointing to what we who write things in English call a "period". It is generally placed at the end of a sentence. A sentence can generally be noted as a thought. If he wanted to include Georgia in his list, he would have placed it before the sentence, not after. Do you see how that works?

Moreover (big word, I know - look it up), he qualified his statement with the word "might". If he felt certain about Georgia's inclusion, he would have refrained from the usage of said word and, as I've stated previously, would have included Georgia in his list of schools.

Here's a $20. Run to the local Home Depot. You'll need a better shovel to keep digging that hole, sport.

dpodoll has already informed me that the list isn't subjective.

No, I didn't.

Do you understand how words work?

Are you a native English speaker? If not, I'll back off. That is the only reasonable explanation for your inability to utilize elementary reading skills.

Hmmm, now I'm confused. I was asked to name 3 from the list and I did. According to you, there are no hard and fast rules (it's an opinion), but dpodoll has already informed me that the list isn't subjective. Why don't you guys put your heads together and get back to me when you have a concrete answer?
Did you happen to notice the post after the initial one where someone mentioned two schools that were more deserving than the one that I felt didn't really belong? Did you see where I agreed that Georgia didn't really belong? Are we going way too fast for you?

I don't get it yet. Please write me a longer, more in-depth paragraph about the finer points of English grammar. Use even bigger words, I already have a dictionary at my side. More arrows would be awesome, I love the color! If you could throw in a couple semicolons and maybe use bold print when you are really trying to hammer home a point, that would be great! Then, while I'm trying to decipher and understand your incredible piece of English literature, you can get back to your more important tasks like informing any Wiscy fans on the board that their programs have nothing on ours.

Ha. Wow. Are you just typing to be included in the thread? You don't truly belive what you just typed, do you?

Google "helmet school."

Let me know how far you have to search before you find it used by somebody not associated with the Gopherhole. It's not a widely used term to say the least.

<insert personal attack>

Top Bottom