Shooter on Borton: "It doesn't look good for a return"

Can Joel pull off a 'Hugh McCutcheon' hire?

I do not consider myself anti any coach in attitude, and wait until whatever coach who the Gophers or pro team hire gets a fair shot, especially since players have their own issues and create problems, esp toward those who lean toward discipline. But since Borton has been at the U, the Women's BB team has swiftly gone downhill. Something is not right there and it always seems to circle around her.

I can't imagine Minnesota taking on another coaches contract. With Mason and Brewer on the books, I would think that Borton would be here until her contract expires. If it expires this season, then I would agree that she's probably done. There seem to be a lot of options with the evolution of women's basketball. I doubt that there would be a free ride for the players, since these coaches only have 3-5 years to make their programs successful. The coaches in the women's game seem to be at least as intense as the coaches in the men's divisions.

Can Joel pull off a 'Hugh McCutcheon' hire?[/QUOTE

Hire another coach that won't coach for a couple of years. Joel could do that.

Borton must have incriminating photos of someone to have made it this long with the poor play and mass player defections.

Pam is signed through 2014. I doubt Joel will pull the trigger on her. She has a strong class coming in next year. I can't see her going anywhere.

That said the program is in shambles. She wasted her Final Four Bump and has returned the program to an afterthought.

This one is all on Joel. He is the one who gave her the extension through 2014.When he did it it was clear the program was about to flounder.

But that's our Joel. The U reaps what Mr Maturi sows and the harvest has been pretty darn sparse (except for the non cash crops).

This badger joel maturi (bjm) and his administrative bosses...

laugh at we loyal fans who continue to spend money buying season tickets for the revenue programs that have NOT provided truely competetive Big Ten results during the past 4 seasons. I only look back 4 seasons, because it is too depressing to look back for as long as it has been going on. Women's BB should certainly be bringing in more revenue than it does. If you are not making a profitable gain, you are most certainly part of the profitability drain. bjm shockingly extended borton's contract. It's all been down hill ever since then.

bjm has NO respect for the people who shell out ever increasing amounts of money for Men's Hockey, Men's Hoops and Football. Even the Women's BB Program, which actually does have a limited number of long-time season ticket holders. The administration laughs at those of us who have been long time seson ticket holders for ANY of the true revenue producing sports at the U of M. We keep coming back and paying ever increasing season ticket fares. The director's cup really is just another distraction.

The "director's cup" would better be referred to simply as "the distracion cup..." The "distraction cup..." propeganda is used to try to lull the poor, abused long-time seaon ticket purchasers for the revenue sports to sleep. The "director's cup" is the opiate of the masses of long abused revenue sports season ticket holders.

"...There is a sucker born every minute..."

The "distraction cup..." was created by pathetic athletic directors and administrators who find it extremely satisfying to cry: "...we're number 18 in something that nobody is willing to buy tickets for... and a lot of people neither know about or care about..."

An extension of bjm wouldl prove the "greater fool theory" advocated by certain administrators has been successful and that the "director's cup" truely is the great "distraction cup..."

Thanks for another good read and the link, Bleed.

I laughed at the last paragraph:

"Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves, recalling a brawl on the field during a minor league game in Charlotte, N.C., during which he ended up squaring off with Jim Thome, the Twins' 250-pound designated hitter, in ESPN Baseball Insider: "We cleared the benches and he and I came across each other in the melee, and the next thing I know I was pinned up against the backstop, with my face up against the screen. ... It was one of those moments when you just cry for help, because once he got his big paws on me, I was done. He was like: 'Don't move, Chip. I will squash the life out of you.'"

Close Curcuit to Walrus...

I'm no Maturi fan, but the Gophers have not been consistently competitive for 40 years running. Two B10 titles in Men's BB and FB is pathetic. Lowest in the B10.

Pam is signed through 2014. I doubt Joel will pull the trigger on her. She has a strong class coming in next year. I can't see her going anywhere.

That said the program is in shambles. She wasted her Final Four Bump and has returned the program to an afterthought.

This one is all on Joel. He is the one who gave her the extension through 2014.When he did it it was clear the program was about to flounder.

But that's our Joel. The U reaps what Mr Maturi sows and the harvest has been pretty darn sparse (except for the non cash crops).

Well stated.

I too expect her back. This years team was young and has good potential. Good recruits coming in next year. Because of the extension, Pam will get a chance with this group of players - her last chance, maybe.

What former players won't talk about.

Her relationship "outside" the coaching arena for some constitutes an unhealthy atmosphere. I'm noting saying it is right or wrong, but there was a young lady up here in the Brainerd lakes area who would've been a Gopher but her mother said privately no way in hell would she suject her daughter into that type of situation no matter how private Pam kept it.

laugh at we loyal fans who continue to spend money buying season tickets for the revenue programs that have NOT provided truely competetive Big Ten results during the past 4 seasons. I only look back 4 seasons, because it is too depressing to look back for as long as it has been going on. Women's BB should certainly be bringing in more revenue than it does. If you are not making a profitable gain, you are most certainly part of the profitability drain. bjm shockingly extended borton's contract. It's all been down hill ever since then.

bjm has NO respect for the people who shell out ever increasing amounts of money for Men's Hockey, Men's Hoops and Football. Even the Women's BB Program, which actually does have a limited number of long-time season ticket holders. The administration laughs at those of us who have been long time seson ticket holders for ANY of the true revenue producing sports at the U of M. We keep coming back and paying ever increasing season ticket fares. The director's cup really is just another distraction.

The "director's cup" would better be referred to simply as "the distracion cup..." The "distraction cup..." propeganda is used to try to lull the poor, abused long-time seaon ticket purchasers for the revenue sports to sleep. The "director's cup" is the opiate of the masses of long abused revenue sports season ticket holders.

"...There is a sucker born every minute..."

The "distraction cup..." was created by pathetic athletic directors and administrators who find it extremely satisfying to cry: "...we're number 18 in something that nobody is willing to buy tickets for... and a lot of people neither know about or care about..."

An extension of bjm wouldl prove the "greater fool theory" advocated by certain administrators has been successful and that the "director's cup" truely is the great "distraction cup..."

Kind of a random question, but what sports does UMN have beyond these listed below? Everyone talks about Joel's love for the non-revenue sports (not doubting the truth to that) but just curious what sports we put funding towards beyond these, what I would consider major / mid-major sports (Revenue wise)

Womens Bball
Womens Volleyball
Womens Hockey
Womens Swimming
Womens Softball

Mens Bball
Mens football
Mens Hockey
Mens Swimming
Mens Baseball

No way will it happen. Shooter is an idiot and the worst of the media (all rumors, none come true--a little birdie told me...). He is the least credible person on any subject.

With that said, there is no way that will happen primarily because she is signed through 2014 and they are not going to buy out another coach. especially in a non-revenue sport. the only way she goes is if she terminates the contract or has an event of gross misconduct that would effectively sever the U's agreement to buy her out.

beavergopher: Borton must have incriminating photos of someone to have made it this long with the poor play and mass player defections.

This is the kind of childish frikking nonsensical comments that shows the idiocy of some commentors. You must have learned from the StribBitchBlog commentors regarding the same crap about Gardy and Punto. Good grief, grow up. :horse:

The passion for Gopher women's basketball on this board is inspiring.

Unlike the HOF coach on the men's side, the women have actually won an NCAA tourney game in the last three years.

I saw the comment but, seriously, if he can't offer one iota of reasoning for why "it doesn't look good," then it's not worth commenting on. If he actually has a quote from somebody and didnt' use it, too bad, kinda spoiled a good story.

She won't go anywhere. The recruiting class she has coming in is #17 in the nation. I guess that would bring to Maturi a thought to fire her though. Give these recruits a chance to help turn it back around. Could be tough with every team in the Big Ten having solid recruits coming in besides Indiana and Wisconsin.

Kind of a random question, but what sports does UMN have beyond these listed below? Everyone talks about Joel's love for the non-revenue sports (not doubting the truth to that) but just curious what sports we put funding towards beyond these, what I would consider major / mid-major sports (Revenue wise)

Womens Bball
Womens Volleyball
Womens Hockey
Womens Swimming
Womens Softball
Women's Gymnastics
Women's Golf
Women's Rowing
Women's Tennis
Women's Track
Women's Cross Country

Mens Bball
Mens football
Mens Hockey
Mens Swimming
Mens Baseball
Men's Gymnastics
Men's Track
Men's Cross Country
Men's Golf
Men's Tennis
Wrestling

Added to the list.

Added to the list.

Also: Womens Soccer.

Breakdown by Gender

Both M and W:
Basketball
Golf
Hockey
Track
Cross Country
Gymnastics
Tennis
Swimming
Baseball/Softball

Mens Only:
Football
Wrestling

Womens Only
Rowing
Volleyball
Soccer

Does anyone know how the numbers balance out between Football and Wrestling vs Rowing, Volleyball and Soccer.

Top Bottom