ESPN 1500: Youth served: Freshmen Armelin and Hollins contributing heavily

I'm all for giving the freshmen kudos when they step up, and I'm glad we have both of them; but "contributing heavily?"

Both are averaging 4 pts/game on the season, Chip is shooting 14% from 3 as a 6'2'' SG, and Hollins has been pretty much invisible except for the IN game this year.

When I think of "contributing heavily" freshmen, you don't need to be Jared Sullinger. But I'd consider Big 10 freshmen that "contribute heavily" are guys along the lines of Melsahn Basabe, Tim Hardaway, Jereme Richmond, JerShon Cobb, Victor Oladipo, etc. All Big 10 freshmen, all at least doubling both Hollins & Armelin's stats.

Chip & Austin aren't even in the same category yet. Probably more along the lines of "contributing" freshmen.

Agree with that. They both have a lot of promise and have had their share of bright spots this season, but I wouldn't be putting them under the "heavy" contributors category. Would still like for both of em to see some more minutes rather than having Rodney stand helpless on the perimeter waiting for the alley-oop play to be called.

They're heavy contributors because we have 5 players without them, and Tubby doesn't exactly play his guys minutes like OSU does.

"U" big men Trevor Mbakwe, Colton Iverson and Ralph Sampson III combined for 12 of the Gophers' 19 turnovers on Sunday

And Hoff had 4.

I'm all for giving the freshmen kudos when they step up, and I'm glad we have both of them; but "contributing heavily?"

Both are averaging 4 pts/game on the season, Chip is shooting 14% from 3 as a 6'2'' SG, and Hollins has been pretty much invisible except for the IN game this year.

When I think of "contributing heavily" freshmen, you don't need to be Jared Sullinger. But I'd consider Big 10 freshmen that "contribute heavily" are guys along the lines of Melsahn Basabe, Tim Hardaway, Jereme Richmond, JerShon Cobb, Victor Oladipo, etc. All Big 10 freshmen, all at least doubling both Hollins & Armelin's stats.

Chip & Austin aren't even in the same category yet. Probably more along the lines of "contributing" freshmen.

ShowinGoldy- You have to get playing time to get stats. Armelin -up until the last 2 games has gotten minimal floor time. For his minutes on the floor - he produces at a high rate. Hollins also. Either of them could be contributing at the level of other names you mentioned if they had been seeing the floor instead of certain other Gophers earlier.

Top Bottom