BCS Title Game Field Conditions

Stan The Caddy

Reaction score
It is really frustrating to watch the National Championship Game when neither team can keep their footing on this field. Whoever is in charge should be embarrassed, players have been slipping all night, since the opening kickoff. It appears to have limited both offenses.

I do not think this many guys slipped and fell during the Viking/Bear game at TCF...

They put a new field down only 6 days ago -- I have never understood how you can lay sod and play the biggest game of the season only days later....how does it root enough to not have a disaster like they have

It is really frustrating to watch the National Championship Game when neither team can keep their footing on this field. Whoever is in charge should be embarrassed, players have been slipping all night, since the opening kickoff. It appears to have limited both offenses.

I do not think this many guys slipped and fell during the Viking/Bear game at TCF...

I was thinking the same thing. It's a dome with real grass that they "slide" in there. I can't believe that keeping it outside in AZ that it would be wet. I have no idea why it appears to be so slippery. Disappointing though.

I don't understand the need to completely change the turf between the Fiesta Bowl and the Championship. It takes time for turf to settle and is very difficult for that to happen in 9 days. It can be seen tonight that the players are having a difficult time maintaining footing and could be due to the softness of the turf and the roots not fully taken hold into the ground under it yet.

It's effing Bermuda grass. It's a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty weed and needs time to grow it's long roots. It's *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty on a golf course and *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty on a football field.

Edit: I guess I can't say sh!tty.

I'm not convinced the turf was the problem, as I didn't see it getting torn up too bad. if the turf wasn't rooted properly, you would expect it to have big divots. Besides, NFL teams play on back to back weeks, including on fields where the turf gets replaced.

I think the players just failed to wear the right cleat. Oregon players seemed to have more trouble than Auburn. Perhaps all their time spent designing the new glowing wonder-shoe, they forgot about designing in enough traction so the players could perform.

I'm not convinced the turf was the problem, as I didn't see it getting torn up too bad. if the turf wasn't rooted properly, you would expect it to have big divots. Besides, NFL teams play on back to back weeks, including on fields where the turf gets replaced.

I think the players just failed to wear the right cleat. Oregon players seemed to have more trouble than Auburn. Perhaps all their time spent designing the new glowing wonder-shoe, they forgot about designing in enough traction so the players could perform.

I could easily see long divots and plenty of uprooted grass on the field. I'm sure it had more to do with the field than the cleats. Enough grass and dirt was getting stuck in the cleats that Auburn had plastic mats with raised bumps for the players to clean their cleats on.

I could easily see long divots and plenty of uprooted grass on the field. I'm sure it had more to do with the field than the cleats. Enough grass and dirt was getting stuck in the cleats that Auburn had plastic mats with raised bumps for the players to clean their cleats on.

In high school we had the same thing. The usage of that mat isn't anything new. Not saying one way or another about the turf, but just wanted to point that out.

In high school we had the same thing. The usage of that mat isn't anything new. Not saying one way or another about the turf, but just wanted to point that out.

Yup, it's standard equipment for many teams, but there not always needed. Tonight, Auburn was using theirs enough that it caught the attention of the broadcast team.

Top Bottom