An interesting read by Jay Carroll

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Taken from the Savegoopherfootball.com

I had the unpleasant experience of playing on a 1-10 Gopher football team in 1983. It was a painful and embarrassing experience...now known as the "infamous" 1983 team. We had a good coaching staff, a new stadium (The Dome), an Athletic Director (Paul Giel) who cared deeply about football, and some talented athletes on that squad. Should we have won the Big Ten that year? Ah, no. Should we have been competitive? Yes.
I've been asked seemingly thousands of times over the past 27 years why we were so bad. I've honestly never been able to point to any one administrator, coach, player, offense, or defense to say, "Well, here are the main reasons we failed."

My oldest son is in his fourth year at Virginia Tech where he plays football for the Hokies. I've had the pleasure of watching up close and personal this perennial top 10 ranked team that has attended 17 straight bowl games and here is what I believe is part of their formula for success:

1) Their head coach, Frank Beamer, is in his 24th season at VT and for the most part the same staff of assistants has been with him for 17 years...yes, 17 years!

2) Beamer is a humble man of integrity who has won the respect of the state of Virginia, the campus, the players, the staff, the administration, and all of his coaching peers in Division 1 football.

3) Beamer attended VT and played football for the Hokies. He deeply and genuinely loves that university and everything it stands for (remember Butch Nash?).

4) Beamer started his coaching career at VT with four losing seasons in six years and a record of 19-30-2.

5) There isn't a college campus with more passion and energy for its football team than VT. Attending a game there is truly electrifying.

If I had any say in the direction of our next coaching hire at the U of M, I would hope that the committee or individuals making this decision would take these things into consideration:

1) Hire a man of integrity, who is humble, trustworthy, genuine, dedicated and a proven D1 football coach.

2) Invest in a quality staff that is not likely to turnover every year.

3) If possible, find a man who has attended the U of M or who has ties to MN...someone who sincerely cares about this school, state, and students.

4) Give him a five+ year contract and ask him what else he needs to succeed - then give him everything within reason on that list. Be patient with him and his staff and let him build something special. This program is in its depths (similar to 1983)...it will take time to bring it out of the hole.

5) Consistently and aggressively reach out to the U of M alumni, its former players, the student population, the professors, and the state to regain or gain their and allegiance to this program. Don't just ask for money...ask for their input, their presence, and their loyalty.

This website is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it helps to move the masses out of a state of apathy or disgust. I, personally am guilty of not being an active alumni...partly because of the busyness of life...partly because no one has asked.

Go Gophers!

—Jay Carroll, 1980–83

I always enjoyed watching Carroll play.

Taken from the Savegoopherfootball.com

I had the unpleasant experience of playing on a 1-10 Gopher football team in 1983. It was a painful and embarrassing experience...now known as the "infamous" 1983 team. We had a good coaching staff, a new stadium (The Dome), an Athletic Director (Paul Giel) who cared deeply about football, and some talented athletes on that squad. Should we have won the Big Ten that year? Ah, no. Should we have been competitive? Yes.
I've been asked seemingly thousands of times over the past 27 years why we were so bad. I've honestly never been able to point to any one administrator, coach, player, offense, or defense to say, "Well, here are the main reasons we failed."

My oldest son is in his fourth year at Virginia Tech where he plays football for the Hokies. I've had the pleasure of watching up close and personal this perennial top 10 ranked team that has attended 17 straight bowl games and here is what I believe is part of their formula for success:

1) Their head coach, Frank Beamer, is in his 24th season at VT and for the most part the same staff of assistants has been with him for 17 years...yes, 17 years!

2) Beamer is a humble man of integrity who has won the respect of the state of Virginia, the campus, the players, the staff, the administration, and all of his coaching peers in Division 1 football.

3) Beamer attended VT and played football for the Hokies. He deeply and genuinely loves that university and everything it stands for (remember Butch Nash?).

4) Beamer started his coaching career at VT with four losing seasons in six years and a record of 19-30-2.

5) There isn't a college campus with more passion and energy for its football team than VT. Attending a game there is truly electrifying.

If I had any say in the direction of our next coaching hire at the U of M, I would hope that the committee or individuals making this decision would take these things into consideration:

1) Hire a man of integrity, who is humble, trustworthy, genuine, dedicated and a proven D1 football coach.

2) Invest in a quality staff that is not likely to turnover every year.

3) If possible, find a man who has attended the U of M or who has ties to MN...someone who sincerely cares about this school, state, and students.

4) Give him a five+ year contract and ask him what else he needs to succeed - then give him everything within reason on that list. Be patient with him and his staff and let him build something special. This program is in its depths (similar to 1983)...it will take time to bring it out of the hole.

5) Consistently and aggressively reach out to the U of M alumni, its former players, the student population, the professors, and the state to regain or gain their and allegiance to this program. Don't just ask for money...ask for their input, their presence, and their loyalty.

This website is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it helps to move the masses out of a state of apathy or disgust. I, personally am guilty of not being an active alumni...partly because of the busyness of life...partly because no one has asked.

Go Gophers!

—Jay Carroll, 1980–83

I've met Jay a few times and he's a good guy. Most of his points are difficult to argue. But talking about that 1983 team I just don't know that there was a magic buttonthat could be pressed where they "should have been competitive." I mean look at the scores that year - it wasn't just the Nebraska game that was a blow out.

I can't disagree with him.

See, that's a good take. I may not agree part and parcel with his outline for success, but they're all defensible.

If all of savegopherfootball.com was presented in this tone and not as some shell org for hiring Marc Trestman, I would absolutely support it.

See, that's a good take. I may not agree part and parcel with his outline for success, but they're all defensible.

If all of savegopherfootball.com was presented in this tone and not as some shell org for hiring Marc Trestman, I would absolutely support it.

Exactly!

I've met Jay a few times and he's a good guy. Most of his points are difficult to argue. But talking about that 1983 team I just don't know that there was a magic buttonthat could be pressed where they "should have been competitive." I mean look at the scores that year - it wasn't just the Nebraska game that was a blow out.

I think he is saying that the U should never be worse that 4-5 wins. If the right coach was here they would always be competitive.

Who fits this formula other than Trestman. This is something that I was always disappointed in Mason. It is the coaches job to find those future coaches and encourage them. Did Mason ever find these guys? I know Sauter (a Wacker guy) is at SW MN State. Sumlin might be the closest thing with his wife being from here. I know there are others.

What he is saying is that getting a name coach is less important than getting someone who wants to be here. The one candidate that goes against everything Carroll stated is Mullen.

I would like to know if the group of players are endorsing Trestman. Do you have link that will confirm that? All I have read is opinions.

Have you taken the time to read the players comments? I doubt many have. I signed on with this group as I believe they have legitimate concerns. Maturi bungled the Brewster hire and hasn't earned my confidence nor that of many players with the new hire. But it is in his job description.

No matter, this hire is on Maturi. Again.

I would like to know if the group of players are endorsing Trestman. Do you have link that will confirm that? All I have read is opinions.

Have you taken the time to read the players comments? I doubt many have. I signed on with this group as I believe they have legitimate concerns. Maturi bungled the Brewster hire and hasn't earned my confidence nor that of many players with the new hire. But it is in his job description.

No matter, this hire is on Maturi. Again.

You don't even know if the players quotes that you are reading are even active in this organization. Whoever came up with the copy for the website itself seems pretty clueless. "Why the rush to hire a new coach?" Duh. For all you know these players (those posting comments) and yourself are being taken for a ride. They don't really say what they are up to. Stories like the one about Kelly don't make me think that it is something good.

I agree with him in general but I'm against his criteria of wanting someone that attended the U of M. If we had a great winning tradition in the 70's and 80's and that gave us a lot of qualified candidates that would be great. However, those were lean years and other than Tony Dungy we don't have a long list of alumni that are qualified for this job.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I view hiring a coach like finding a date. If some hot chick, that would otherwise be out of my league, is interested in me because she has known me for years or knows my friend that is great and I'll take advantage of it. However, I'm not going to hook up with a wookie just because she is a friend of a friend or went to high school with me.

He's welcome to his opinions, and I do really want someone who will stick around here for a while, and who wants the U to succeed, but...

1) that's part of what I liked about Brewster. I never once thought he was trying to go elsewhere. And he has no ties to MN.
2) This entire piece seems to be about how we should do it this way because VaTech is ok...and that's really all they are, OK. Pretty good. There are more teams that succeed with coaches with no ties to their school than that do with former coaches/players. I really hope we don't base this decision on wanting someone who likes us.

Hard to disagree with any of it. In fairness to Jay, he says clearly "if possible" when referencing a Mnnesota connection. Whoever gets the job should probably call Tony Levine, who is currently on Sumlin's staff, and see if he'd like to come back in a high-profile capacity.

Jay appears to be advocating "steak over sizzle" and I agree with him. The problem is that the Gopher fan base seems to be so "iffy" in this town that the situation does call out for some measure of pizzazz. We need to have some excitement to make certain the stadium gets filled. As Yogi Berra once said (and I paraphrase): "If no one wants to come to the game, how are you going to stop them?"

Jay, I'm still really ticked at you for hitting that softball about nine miles beyond me (and I was playing deep) in that co-rec IM softball game back in 1982.

Its hard to argue with his logic as we all want something like that for the Gophers.

However, there are hundreds of coaches not at their alma matter who are successful. We don't need a Minnesotan or former player as a coach to win here.

Agreed Wheaton, but I think that's where the "understanding" Minnesota piece comes into play. It doesn't have to be a Minnesotan, but it has to be someone that will understand what it takes to get it done here. Winning is most of that, but there are other elements and hopefully the new guy will get that.

Reasons for 83 season

I have some insight as to what happened in 83. In 82 there were high expectations because in '81 the Golden Gophers went 6-5 and beat the Rose Bowl Bound Hawkeyes. '82 Comes Great start to the season 3-0 and 17th ranked in the nation. Then Decimating injuries happened on Offense and Defense. Mostly on Defense.

At the end of '82 Paul Giel put some pressure on Salem to make changes on his staff. He fires long time D-Coordinator Bruce Vandersal and most of his staff. Salem has a very limited Budget and hires some small time Defensive Coaches, even some JC coaches. The lack of depth is so pervasive a load of marginal JUCO transfers has fill in the holes. '83 comes the Gophs win the first game against Rice, but a QB carousel ensues. Then more decimating injuries including Defensive Captain Najarian, top Running Back Tony Hunter is injured. Freshman are playing everywhere on Offense and Defense. I have never seen that many ACL's blow outs. Salem resigns with 3 games to go in the season, and they continue to get blown out the rest of the way.

That's the way I saw it. I think only Brewster's 2007 was worse.

Top Bottom